• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Zero Most boring out of all old-school RE games?

mert20004

I dont think so. I like re0, cool prequel to re1 and remake. Underrated game. I dont think any of the classic re games are boring.

Giant bat boss fight and that hookshot suck though...

Billy Coen

I don't think Resident Evil 0 is a boring game at all, but the lack of storage boxes can make it a bit irritating, you know, sometimes when your inventory is full, you leave an item on the floor and later forget where you dropped it, so... you have to walk all over the complex to find it.

Soul Fist

Of course not. The game is good and underrated, I love the details on the art paintings on the walls. And how every painting explained, It's so beautiful!

It also has good music, its puzzles are the best. They are unique, but what I dislike about the game is that there no ítem boxes. Which is annoying and you have to drop items every 5 minutes here and there, also the inventory is so small for each character you can't carry much. But when you think about it, it's more realistic.

But I wouldn't call the game masterpiece, it's not as great as RE3 original, RE2 original and Remake, RE1 remake, Code Veronica and RE7.

D

Deleted member 21244

I don't think Resident Evil 0 is a boring game at all, but the lack of storage boxes can make it a bit irritating, you know, sometimes when your inventory is full, you leave an item on the floor and later forget where you dropped it, so... you have to walk all over the complex to find it.
You can use the map to find it in 5 second, there s no need to roam the whole map to find it

TreblaYevrah

When i played REmake and RE0 back-to-back years ago, I initially felt RE0 was inferior. However, my opinion has changed since then; it's one of my favorite in the series, and I actually replay RE0 more than REmake.

I do think REmake is far and beyond the superior "horror" experience, but RE0 has a certain magic to it that I can't really describe. I do think some plot elements/characters could've been more thought-out. Even as a fan of androgynous characters, I don't think Marcus' young appearance worked in the game. They even attempted to retcon it in Umbrella Chronicles, from what I remember. Anyway... compared to the more bloated/silly plots of games like RE5 and Revelations 1, I've learned to forgive it.

Also, people do often say they wish RE0 had more focus on BRAVO team... and while I do agree, I just like Billy. I don't really care that he serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Soul Fist

When i played REmake and RE0 back-to-back years ago, I initially felt RE0 was inferior. However, my opinion has changed since then; it's one of my favorite in the series, and I actually replay RE0 more than REmake.

I do think REmake is far and beyond the superior "horror" experience, but RE0 has a certain magic to it that I can't really describe. I do think some plot elements/characters could've been more thought-out. Even as a fan of androgynous characters, I don't think Marcus' young appearance worked in the game. They even attempted to retcon it in Umbrella Chronicles, from what I remember. Anyway... compared to the more bloated/silly plots of games like RE5 and Revelations 1, I've learned to forgive it.

Also, people do often say they wish RE0 had more focus on BRAVO team... and while I do agree, I just like Billy. I don't really care that he serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.
TBH I never cared for Bravo team, they are just soldiers with bland personalities to me. I think RE0 is fine the way it is, Rebecca is the only interesting character out of them.. Maybe Richard is okay, but the rest are meh.

TreblaYevrah

TBH I never cared for Bravo team, they are just soldiers with bland personalities to me. I think RE0 is fine the way it is, Rebecca is the only interesting character out of them.. Maybe Richard is okay, but the rest are meh.

I agree... but I guess maybe some people were disappointed because it was an opportunity to develop the personalities of those characters. The plot is usually secondary in Resident Evil for me, so I generally just like the game for its setting/atmosphere/etc... but I can understand the point of view from fans that wanted it to be more focused on established characters.

Soul Fist

I agree... but I guess maybe some people were disappointed because it was an opportunity to develop the personalities of those characters. The plot is usually secondary in Resident Evil for me, so I generally just like the game for its setting/atmosphere/etc... but I can understand the point of view from fans that wanted it to be more focused on established characters.
Hmmmm also true, I don't know much about Bravo team so that's probably why I look at them that way. Maybe if they indeed develop their personalities I would've been more interested.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The characters in Bravo team are boring because they are hardly featured in what should've been their game. They all got sidelined in favor of a completely new plot. While Rebecca is technically part of Bravo team, she was prominently featured in RE1 so she was already well-known beforehand to fans and the public. It's obvious why they chose to make her the main protagonist (cuz money), but it doesn't justify her story arc being retroactively changed to a badass survivor whom just faced off against a TYRANT, only to become a helpless little girl again as soon as she arrives at the Spencer Mansion.

I've said it before, but Enrico should've been the main playable protagonist in RE0.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I like the concept of Billy Coen, but when I see that hair and those tattoos, I can't take the boy seriously!

But seriously, it is a clever little side story to have the cop/criminal team up in the game. I wish they did more with it. Rebecca is literally like, "I don't trust you! BUT I will never leave your side except to solve puzzles" lol. There could've been more tension, but with the partner system in the game, there wasn't too much choice I suppose.

The game has its flaws. But we can look back and see it actually is a pretty solid game.

Jonipoon

There’s nothing wrong with RE0’s story itself, its just that people like myself expected it to be more of an actual prequel to RE1. The attack on the train undermines the Mansion incident and how the remaining STARS members had a hard time convincing the public that something fishy was going on in the Arklay mountains.

I think RE0’s story would’ve worked better in pre-RE2 setting during the Raccoon City outbreak. Rebecca should be in Raccoon City at this point, and the train transporting Billy could’ve been just another ordinary prison truck. Have them meet up and Rebecca disobeying orders by teaming up with him.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes - the absolute tragedy of RE0 is that it doesn't connect with the first game at all. I've said it before. But in the original game and REmake - Rebecca is fairly helpless around typical zombies whereas RE0 paints her as a badass. And then she says nothing about her adventure to Chris at all. At least in REmake, they knew RE0 was happening. They could've tied the games together somehow, but didn't.

I think you're right Jonipoon - A Pre-RE2 Adventure would have been much easier to paint in to the context of the lore.

TreblaYevrah

The one logical justification I've seen from someone about Rebecca's helplessness in RE1 after RE0, is that she's just completely mentally burnt out from the events of RE0; she thought she'd escaped that nightmare, but she just ends up in another creepy mansion filled with monsters.

Of course, it's more obvious that it was just not well-planned... but that's the logic I have to believe for it to make any sense at all. Also, maybe she felt safer with Billy around. It's a stretch, but you know.

1995umk3

Don't know anything about RE0 but curious about it because its RE "0" before "1"

Got it yesterday and I was just a LITTLE dissapointed with the intro, usually RE games have good intros. Well Re1 had someone sneaking up behind you and that was passable because it was something knew in the gaming world back then in the 90s and was ok I guess.

So far I'm stuck on the train and couldn't progress. The control setup is bad on this one and will take time to get use to.

I thought Billy said the F word when he got bit during the game.. overall it's nice because it's before RE1.

V-Jolt

Yes and I only say this because of the item management i.e dropping items on the floor. Can't stand it, makes the game a tedious trek for the most part.

Also.... what's with the opening a can of coke sound when you open the inventory? lol

1995umk3

I dropped so much items at the back of the train I lost count. It reminds me of diablo 2.. dropping items and picking them up after. But in diablo 2 they dissapear after a while if you leave them there or somebody steals them.

Also the shotgun isn't as loud on the ps3 port version... I had my volume at medium and it wasn't as loud as It needs to be in a RE game. Maybe it was just ment to play on the gamecube.

Moonlight_Sonata

The one logical justification I've seen from someone about Rebecca's helplessness in RE1 after RE0, is that she's just completely mentally burnt out from the events of RE0; she thought she'd escaped that nightmare, but she just ends up in another creepy mansion filled with monsters.

Of course, it's more obvious that it was just not well-planned... but that's the logic I have to believe for it to make any sense at all. Also, maybe she felt safer with Billy around. It's a stretch, but you know.

I haven't played this game since it originally came out on Gamecube, but I remember the whole Rebecca psychology issue being a huge nagging thing for me. I was super into the Resident Evil mythos at the time and had always loved Rebecca's RE 1 character; this felt like a negation of everything that informed her behavior in the first game. To reconcile this game and Rebecca in RE1, you either had to do ridiculous mental gymnastics or just pretend this game didn't exist. I opted for the latter.

It's a shame, because I actually remember really enjoying it and loving the train setting. I often wonder why they didn't just use two completely new characters. Rebecca was a peripheral figure anyway, so it wasn't like her inclusion was going to move that many extra copies for casual fans.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes. That is a real issue! I feel like I have talked about this a lot. But Capcom KNEW they were making 0 and knew they remaking the original game at the same time. Why couldn't Rebecca in the REmake say something about her first encounter with the virus? I get why she would omit details about Billy, but come on - she has seen some things!

I still think 0 is a fun game and a great Resident Evil addition, but lore-wise, it really is the black sheep.

Jonipoon

The train level is the best part of RE0, no doubt. No wonder they chose to feature the train on most cover arts, since it is the most iconic location in the game.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes, the Train portion is actually the best part for puzzles and exploration which seems a little out of place. They have so many unique locations in that game, but the Train felt the most well designed and thought out. It was an introduction, but also a beautiful puzzle cube begging to be solved.

Top Bottom