• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Zero Most boring out of all old-school RE games?

Vanex

Rebecca as a character period.
The enemies.

I'm actually surprised with how much my opinion coincides with yours. You touched up on a lot of very valid points that I agree with. I'll touch up a bit with what I didn't really like in this title, as that seems to be the vibe of this thread.

I truly enjoyed Resident Evil Zero for the most part, especially with Rebecca as the protagonist. I thoroughly enjoyed her portrayal in Zero so much more than the RE1 Remake. I recently have been on a bit of a resident evil binge, having replayed a majority of the GC games (zero, remake, 2, 3, Code:X) and I have to say that Rebecca is up there as one of my favorite characters. I replayed Zero before the Remake, and after going through Chris' Scenario I was pretty shocked at how dull I found Rebecca's portrayal in the remake was. She mentions nothing regarding what she discovered during zero, along with her journey to the mansion, or her experiences dealing with it all. There were a bunch of little details that irked me, for example in zero she is unable to play the piano well enough to open the passage in the bar, but in the remake she is capable (albeit with some practice) of playing a relatively difficult piece on the piano. The change in voice actresses to me was very noticeable; and I wished they'd just stuck with the voice actress from resident evil 0, who I found best suited for Rebecca. Apart from these minor issues, Rebecca is still one of my favorite characters in RE.

As for things like the enemies, while I personally can see why they were what they were (pretty much all B.O.W experiments in a facility designed for testing on animals/insects/etc.) I felt a lack of interest in some of the bosses, both in design appeal and difficulty. Many of them can be killed without taking any damage, for instance the scorpion on the train can be killed with only a knife and the giant centipede if you just stay out of the path it runs around. For the most part, I felt normal monsters such as the Eliminator Apes and the Mimicry Marcus' more challenging and scary than the bosses. The bosses were no doubt not one of the strong points of the game.

All in all I think zero is one of the best re titles. I really hope that we get to see a return of Rebecca and Billy in future installments of RE.

to be fair thats's not the first time i've heard that about the outbreak series. it's kind of like marmite i guess i terms of you either love it or hate it ;) i might give it a bash sometime at least then i can make my own opinion

I suggest giving the private server a shot. I've only ever played a bit of outbreak file 1 when it came out, a very long time ago, and gave this fanmade reboot a shot(supports both file 1 and file 2). Its pretty fun and can be a bit of a challenge on Very Hard difficulty. The game is run on the Japanese versions of outbreak, but there are translation patches that people have made that work really well.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I thought about is honestly, I didn't find any of the classic REs particularly boring. Some were a little more difficult to get into than others (CODE Veronica and its capricious difficulty for example), but I wouldn't say any of them are bland. I was able to beat ZERO over the course of a few nights and enjoyed every second I wasn't poisoned.

TJay

Premium
I'm currently replaying this for the first time in over ten years (I shall be replaying all the canonical entries over the next few weeks). It had been so long since I'd played it that I'd forgot he bulk of the game.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the graphics look after all these years. There is something very special about the way both Zero & REmake were done. These games look absolutely stunning even now.

I think I'm another for the "odd" camp because I am finding Zero absolutely gripping, all over again. The interaction between Billy & Rebecca is fantastic & the pre-mansion story is fascinating to me. I'm enjoying the game play over all & I'm finding myself a little creeped out by the eerie atmosphere created by the attention to detail & music (or sometimes lack of music).

It's certainly not my favorite entry, but it's not my least favorite either. I think it's quite underrated & I'd rank it above RE3 & probably all the spin-offs except Dead Aim.

weskerondope

if this game only had item boxes and more character interactions it would have been a masterpiece, but the way it is its simply a good game, nothing more nothing less

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I found RE3 pretty boring when Nemesis wasn't around. You were covering some of the same ground as RE2 and I don't remember any puzzles except for the clockwork puzzle.

weskerondope

your only in the police station for like 10-15 minutes in re3 and then its all new places, not to mention that there is a whole ton of puzzles in it, i guess its not easy to remember what we did back in 1999

Loved Zero when i got it. But it was my first Gamecube game so it had alot to do with that i think. The game looked great and just felt great on my at the time new console. These days i very rarley play it. So yea it's kinda meh. Not bad but nothing great.

Agent Spike

Damn there's a few who say that RE3 is more boring than Zero and I'm here wishing to play it. Hey if you guys don't want it, you know who to donate it to! lol jk

But seriously, Zero is great, but I'm in a love/hate relationship with the pick & drop mechanic. Sometimes when I play the old games, I wish to drop an item on the floor to pick another one. Now that I replayed Zero not too long ago, I wish it had those magical item boxes.

Also, like other people said, the bosses where bland, unoriginal, and pretty easy to beat.

I do love it's difficulty. Played it on hard not too long ago and in my opinion, it's way more difficult than CVX.

And Billy is bad-ass.

Bilbo

I think Zero is a great game. It was the last classic style RE game we got. The training facility was an awesome, although typical for RE, location that was a delight to explore and had a phenomenal soundtrack. Plenty of great key/item hunting and some good classic RE puzzles. And WOW is this game hard on hard mode. Maybe the hardest of any RE actually. REmake on hard is brutal as well, but I think zero might be a tad bit harder. I'd say that REmake and Zero on Hard is the definition of true survival horror. Every single room becomes its own puzzle of how to dodge enemies and you really have to think hard about which ones are worth killing since ammo is SO limited on those modes. Good, yet nerve racking times haha. Also regarding the difficulty of RE games, I've noticed a lot of people think CVX is hard. Aside from the early sections where you still don't have a ton of ammo, I find it to be a breeze. Plenty of herbs and ammo for the most part. and the knife kicks arse in that game!

BioHunk

I don't think its the most boring. Its certainly the one out of the original games (0-3) that I would consider to have the worst storyline. And I would see how newcomers to this game might be frustrated at the slower pace, having to switch back and forth between Billy and Rebecca and such. But when it first came out, it was amazing, so I can still enjoy the HD remaster with that nostalgia of the first time I played back in 2002.

I personally love Rebecca. She's my favorite female protagonist in the entire series and I would love to see her back in a future game. Billy is also one of my favorite male protagonists and I really though he would be the main character in RE5, and perhaps should have been based on the setting. The enemies in this game are all pretty unique, the monkeys being especially a pain in the ass. Leach Hunter is fun once you start getting the hang of it. I also really liked the exclusion of "magic item boxes". It made it seem more realistic that you physically could not carry that much stuff, and boxes aren't necessarily magical.

It doesn't stand up well to its brethren "REmake", but neither does many other games in the series or games in any series for that matter. On its own, though, its a solid title that, if time is taken to really enjoy it, could easily be in the top 5 of the series.

HookerZombie

I liked the game. It's not my favorite but it was ok for what it was. I kinda wish that we got to see more of Bravo team though the only members that actually appeared in the story were Edward and Enricho (and both of them are only seen by Rebecca).

I also didn't like how they got rid of the item boxes it makes keeping up with items very frustrating.

black 93

I wouldnt say Zero was boring, it was just very slow to start and the item juggling and character switching can be very tedious at times. Compared to remake and the other old school games, Zero tried new things and should be commended for that, but it also tried to fix things that werent broken. The item box was a great example, they tried fixing the tediousness of having to run to an item box all the time, but in reality dropping items and having to run a mile to pick a key up was more tedious than an item box.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't think Zero is boring at all. It forces you to make tough decisions throughout the game (mostly about which character to utilize at any time and what to carry in your inventory, but still!) The back tracking is super tedious and I think that Capcom acknowledged that mistake with time. But it made decision making tough. Which I appreciated.

Billy's hairstyle is the biggest crime in the game though.

And to those who say the enemy types are boring, I can agree somewhat. However, we have to remember that this is set at a time similar to the original Resident Evil and Umbrella hadn't developed a lot of the major enemies we would see in later entries. It makes sense we'd be fighting apes and scorpions and leeches!

black 93

I don't think Zero is boring at all. It forces you to make tough decisions throughout the game (mostly about which character to utilize at any time and what to carry in your inventory, but still!) The back tracking is super tedious and I think that Capcom acknowledged that mistake with time. But it made decision making tough. Which I appreciated.

Billy's hairstyle is the biggest crime in the game though.

And to those who say the enemy types are boring, I can agree somewhat. However, we have to remember that this is set at a time similar to the original Resident Evil and Umbrella hadn't developed a lot of the major enemies we would see in later entries. It makes sense we'd be fighting apes and scorpions and leeches!
I love Zero. It's one of the few RE's that no matter how much i beat it, there's still moments throughout the campaign where i have to stop and reconsider my options. Really tough game. RE1,2,CVX and remake i can just fly through now, but zero (and 3 actually) always screws me over at least once per playthrough.

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Absolutely. It's atrocious and a major disrespect against RE1 and Remake.

How would I fix the game:

Remove Marcus and his leeches, replace Marcus with Spencer, remove Billy, remove that terrible hookshot, increase Rebecca's HP and defense, improve bosses, remove those infected monkeys with wierd AI, add item boxes, add the cancelled monsters from other RE games, change the game's story somewhat so that it explores Bravo Team a lot more and remove that RE2 location which doesn't even make sense. As for Rebecca being alone or being partnered with someone; I personally prefer her to be alone but still encounter Bravo Team members along the way though if she needs to be partnered with someone; I think her partner should be Richard which would make the game connect better to Remake. Make sure to improve the partner AI in that case; I thought it was terrible. Also Richard should be able to combine herbs, it's really stupid how Billy can't combine herbs for some reason.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I like the train level a lot, its very fun and feels original, but from then on the game just falls short of its potential. It made sense for there to be no item boxes on the train, but after crashing into the training facility there should've been item boxes.

And as I've said many times before, leeches being controlled by opera was when I lost most of my respect for Zero. It's just stupid and silly.

It's not the worst RE game by far, but definitely the worst out of the classic ones.

Mr.R

Nah. That "honor" belongs to Code Veronica. Certainly not the worst in the series (Hi Umbrella Corps), but in my opinion, by far, the worst of the old school, fixed cameras RE.

D

Deleted member 21244

I like all the old school Re, also I didn't find any re boring, even the awful resident evil 6

Top Bottom