• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 I've found things that annoys me about this game (Wii edition)

T Dot

Well tbh I personally gave this game a 9.5/10 but there are a few things that annoy me now since Ive reached further and further and right now its at a 8/10

1. The merchant doesn't sell bullets- this is seriously annoying because Ive been in situations where I couldn't find a single bullet and had to basically scrape by (im currently at a spot with limited ammo and I think im actually buggerd)

2. The chapters do really drag on a bit, I think there's alot of running around from room to room and eventually it feels like thats all you're doing

3. Ashley is a huge liability- I know thats just the way goes but its quite easy to fail with her there.

anyway thats my opinion tbh.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
The merchant actually does sell bullets, just not in a traditional way. You have to increase the capacity of your gun, and the merchant will give you the difference of how many bullets you had in your gun prior to upgrading it, and how many bullets it can now hold. ;)

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Yep; say you have 2 bullets left in your handgun and you upgrade the capacity of that handgun to 15, the merchant will give you 13 bullets.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Or to put it simpler: Whenever you replace the magasine with a bigger one, you get a full magasine. The merchant never sells magasines that are not full.

I don't know the Wii version, but in the PS2 version it's very easy to get ammo. When I'm low on a particular type of ammo, the chance for finding that particular ammo in random spots greatly increases. For example, if I'm low on shotgun shells, the enemies will start to drop more shells and less other things. Same for barrels and vases with random stuff.

This is the way I milk the game for money; I don't waste ammo and I always keep more than one full box of ammo for each gun. When I've got plenty of ammo, random stuff will almost always be money.

Shotgun

all i have to say is tmp to the face a kick and then use your knife. The only way i know how to kill someone with one tmp bullet.

Dos

On easy you will never run out of ammo- it just cannot be possible.

On normal you really shouldn't struggle for ammo, unless you do something stupid like trying to kill Verdugo with normal weapons without freezing him first..(yes I saw a friend do this). Or don't pick up the infrared scope and have to guess-kill the regenerators...you will certainly waste a lot of ammo on the regenerators if you don't use common sense...

On pro on the other hand...often it IS a struggle for ammo, and that's where you have to use the kick and knife as much as possible. I found that ammo wasn't a serious problem on pro in the village and the castle, as long as you use the kick and knife wherever possible (and either rocket launcher Verdugo or just run away from him...he is SERIOUSLY tough on pro). Ammo does, however, become a real problem on the island when you face creatures that just swallow the bullets, such as the Regenerators and U3. I've known of more than one person who has made the mistake, on pro, of using practically all their ammo to kill U3 and then Krauser straight after (fine for U3, but Krauser on pro you HAVE to use the knife if you want to conserve the ammo), and then having absolutely nothing left for Chapter 5-4...5-4 isn't too hard, even on pro, if you have reasonable ammo either! Those people are permanently stuck on 5-4 and unable to beat pro as a result!

As for the chapters dragging on too long, surely that's part of the challenge. The longest chapters in the game are probably 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, and all of the chapter 5 sections, and it's probably no accident that these chapters are probably the hardest ones in the game. It makes the game that much more challenging.

bruno

Chief Researcher
You can kill a ganado/zealot without wasting a single bullet:
1- Get close to it and wait untill it starts the attack movement
2- As soon as it starts moving to attack you, walk backwards untill you're out of his attack's reach
3-run close to him and start knifing and kicking whenever possible. Be careful, because some seconds later, it will try to attack you again (do the same thing)

This works better on isolated ganados, but you can use it in grooups too: let a group follow you untill one of them is closer than the oters. Attack the one which is closer and, if you get to kick him, the ones behing him should also get stunned. In caso of emergency, just flash them and start kicking everyone.

Dos

Just wanting to see what people think here...

Personally I find some of the discrepancies in chapter length a little, well, puzzling. The most glaring example to me is over Chapters 3-3, 3-4 and 4-1.

Now, as long as you're playing normal or pro, Chapter 4-1 is THE longest chapter in the whole game, in terms of sheer number of different areas and fights that have to be negotiated. It is also one of the hardest chapters without a doubt. I don't think too many people would disagree on that one.

On the other hand, 3-3 and 3-4 are almost certainly the easiest two chapters in the game....of the other chapters (not counting 6-1 as that's just the Saddler fight), perhaps only Chapter 1-2 is as easy. And not only are 3-3 and 3-4 easy, they are also very, very short, which I guess is one reason why they are easy.

My guess is that because of the extraordinarily long length and difficulty of 4-1, they tried to 'soften' the blow by making 3-3 and 3-4 short and easy. But not only do I think they may have gone a little too far in just how short and easy they made them, but I also wonder why they are seperate chapters at all. Why weren't they combined? If Chapter 3-3 included all of Chapter 3-4 as well, it STILL wouldn't be a very long chapter. Why not combine them into the one chapter and just go straight from 3-3 to 4-1? It's not like there'd be any less playing to do.

I guess I just find it strange that in a game where generally chapters are of quite reasonable length, you have two tiny and very easy ones right in the middle of the game. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge as to why Capcom decided to do this?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;64862 said:
Why weren't they combined? If Chapter 3-3 included all of Chapter 3-4 as well, it STILL wouldn't be a very long chapter. Why not combine them into the one chapter and just go straight from 3-3 to 4-1? It's not like there'd be any less playing to do.
You gotta consider more than just length. Take into account happenings too:
  • At the end of 3-3 you have a cut scene that has impact on the storyline (not spoiling it), which makes it natural to end the chapter there.
  • Same with chapter 3-4, at the end of it is an important happening.

I think the chapters are as they should be, they reflects the story well. Anyway, even if they didn't add up with the story, I would not care so much about it. The chapters have no practical importance other than giving you the possibility to save. And there are many typewriters.

Dos

Romero;64887 said:

You gotta consider more than just length. Take into account happenings too:
  • At the end of 3-3 you have a cut scene that has impact on the storyline (not spoiling it), which makes it natural to end the chapter there.
  • Same with chapter 3-4, at the end of it is an important happening.

I think the chapters are as they should be, they reflects the story well. Anyway, even if they didn't add up with the story, I would not care so much about it. The chapters have no practical importance other than giving you the possibility to save. And there are many typewriters.
You definitely have a point in terms of the happenings at the end of 3-3 and 3-4, I guess more than anything else it was just the shortness of those two chapters compared to all the others that stuck out and seemed odd to me. Especially in light of how long Chapter 4-1 then is.

Maybe that was the developers' cunning plan all along- to lull players into a false sense of security with two short and easy chapters before unleashing the long fury of Chapter 4-1 on the unsuspecting player ;)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I played chapter 4-1 not long ago and it's not harder, it's just more work. (By "harder" I understand more difficult, but you maybe meant harder as in more work?)

The chapter has many typewriters, and the game is quick-saved into RAM each time you enter a new area. So yes it's much to do in 4-1 but I don't see it as hard (difficult).
(I did have a struggle at the Clock Tower and a couple other places, but that's because I play by my own rules.)

Dos

I personally wouldn't mind if there were far less typewriters in the game. Because yes, on a long chapter like 4-1 you can use them to break up the game into much smaller sections, which considerably reduces the challenge. I did a pro playthrough starting from scratch recently, and resolved not to use the typewriters at all. I only saved at the end of chapters. It made it harder that's for sure, because on a long chapter like 4-1 I knew that I would have to finish the entire chapter in one sitting (and I died three times in the chapter, at the King's Grail fight, the clocktower the the two garradors room), because if I turned the game off I would have been taken back to the very start of 4-1 when I turned the game on again.

I'm about to start a no merchant/no typewriter challenge (still save at the end of chapters) on pro- so that means I'll have to be depending on the unupgraded handgun, shotgun and grenades until 4-1, when I can get the Broken Butterfly. But I can tell you, getting through 4-1 with those weapons and without saving at typewriters is going to be very hard. I simply won't have the room with the small attache case to pick up the free rocket launcher in 3-3. Wish me luck...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
That is crazy. But you CAN kill Verdugo with only a knife if you wish. Here was a Youtube video showing it, it was posted in one of the threads. I think it took the player ~45 minutes and I think it was normal difficulty.

Dos

Hah, yeah I'm neither good enough nor have the patience to try and kill Verdugo with just a knife on pro. Apparently on pro, a knife-only killing of Verdugo takes around an hour. Yes, AN HOUR! And that's if you don't make mistakes or get hurt much. The strategy apparently involves using a door to both hit/stun him and as a chokepoint, and attacking when his eyes point in a certain direction...as I said, I just don't have the patience nor the skill for that sort of combat.

I'm not visiting the merchants so I don't need his treasure anyway. I won't be trying to kill Verdugo at all in fact- I would run out of all my ammo. I'll just use the LNG tanks to slow him down enough so that I can run away when the lift arrives. I won't be using the butterfly at all until the end of 4-4, when I have to take on Salazzar.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
On the movie, the player didn't use a door exploit. He ran in circles in the power switch room, and he dodged the attacks. Each time he dodged an attack, he got the chance to cut Verdugo a few times before he had to start running again.

Dos

Takes a bit of guts to do that, even on Easy or Normal. On pro, I have my doubts whether doing that would be even possible! He is devastatingly quick on pro at recovering quickly from attacks, and getting close to him at all without some cover (like a door) is really asking for trouble. There would be, I'm sure, people out there who are courageous and good enough to do it. But I'm not one of them!

Dos

I have a question..

I've read in a couple places on Wii version guides that in the storage room (off to the left when you are returning from the Garrador cage), when/if you pass through there in Chapter 4-1 (no idea about if you go in there in Chapter 3-3) on the way to collecting the Broken Butterfly, that two Novistadors are present there. Is this true? My version is the Gamecube version and aside from a snake in one of the vases, that storage room contains nothing that can hurt Leon or Ashley. Apparently they are attached to the ceiling- so presumably like the ones you encounter in the sewers in 3-2, rather than the flying variety found later in 4-1 and 4-2.

So can anyone confirm if this is true? And are they also present on the PS2 and PC versions?

I had never heard of this before.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;68287 said:
I have a question..

I've read in a couple places on Wii version guides that in the storage room (off to the left when you are returning from the Garrador cage), when/if you pass through there in Chapter 4-1 (no idea about if you go in there in Chapter 3-3) on the way to collecting the Broken Butterfly, that two Novistadors are present there. Is this true? My version is the Gamecube version and aside from a snake in one of the vases, that storage room contains nothing that can hurt Leon or Ashley. Apparently they are attached to the ceiling- so presumably like the ones you encounter in the sewers in 3-2, rather than the flying variety found later in 4-1 and 4-2.

So can anyone confirm if this is true? And are they also present on the PS2 and PC versions?

I had never heard of this before.
I have also read that in guides.
I can confirm that the Novistadors are not present in the PS2 version.

Walkthrough by TheGum, http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/resident_evil_4_p.txt:
*NOTE: As soon as you enter the storage room, stop! You're fine to move on if
you are not playing the Gamecube. You Cube owners must pull out your rifle,
look up, and snipe this Novistador. Walk where he fell, look across the room,
and shoot the other one. Again, only on the Gamecube.*

Top Bottom