• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Chris gay?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Very good points, @The Fabled Four!

I've always found it a little hypocritical how the extra outfits are quickly dismissed because they're not worn in the campaign and therefore just jokes, but then a line that was cut from the final game, or marketing videos of dubious canonicity, are brought up to prove something. That's not a very convincing argument. As others have pointed out, the only thing it proves is that Capcom might have considered this or that, but you know, everyone who writes stories of any kind considers a lot of things before deciding what it's going to be, and whatever is ultimately weeded out for no matter what reason just isn't canon even if it was considered at some point.

However, I honestly can't say I care anymore after all this time. Neither about Chris's sexuality nor what everybody thinks of it. People have their own head canons anyway, and I have mine.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
Well it's obvious that Capcom flip flops a lot as @N7Valentine stated. That is pretty much a given for anyone who's been following the releases xD
Yep and that's something which really grates on my nerves. I care a lot about good and consistent storytelling and unfortunately that's not the case with RE, because as I stated they change very often the writer and producer and each of them has a different idea/opinion on everything.:razz:

That said. I don't believe Chris is bi either. His skimpy unlockable outfits? Nothing more than fanservice. Don't forget: RE is a japanese developed game and the japs love to fanservice off their characters in a very sexualized manner, regardless of gender.:razz: I remember one of the main characters in Dead Rising franchise having a stereotypical gay leather outfit as an unlockable outfit.

I also believe some gaymers wish Chris was gay cuz he's considered to have a "hot bod" lol I also remember back when ME3 released images of James Vega (a male character who's equally buff as Chris Redfield) how many gay dudes were wetting their pants over him. When they shipped the game James had a buddy on the Normandy, Steve Cortez, who actually happened to be gay. lol But James himself, despite having a gay best buddy? Straight. Then again, Bioware is not afraid of implementing gay characters in their games and even I as a straight guy must admit that Bioware writes better gay characters than Capcom writes straight characters. lol

Unlike others, I don't see much problems having with Chris and Jill having a romance. They've been teased since the first game and I don't consider a romance between them being forced, unlike Leon and Ada, which feels totally forced and hasn't really evolved over the years. I know I see many people saying stuff like: Chris and Jill would be so stereotypical and boring blah blah blah but Nathan Drake and Elena are also a very stereotypical couple, you know the "first guy and first girl", yet you don't see anyone complaining about them. Example: For me a ChrisxRebecca romance would be forced, simply because Rebecca is a typical "female Love Interest type" in japanese media. You know the overly cutesy-kawaii female, so I hope Vendetta will avoid this :wink:

And last but not least, I see a lot of fangirls going crazy over M/M ships these days. I dunno when this became a trend but you don't see that with guys who go crazy on the net and proclaim their love for an F/F pairing, while dissing an M/F pairing. Not trying to insult here someone, but that's been my observation.:lol:

Just my two cents

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
You can't touch Naughty Dog's story telling. I loved that they paired Nate and Elena over Nate and Chloe. Nate and Elena were opposites and that's why I personally love it so much and is probably why so many other fans love it too. Elena essentially tamed the beast in Nate. Chloe was too similar in her taste for adventure, amongst other things.

As for the pairing of Chris and Jill- it's not that I would necessarily hate seeing those two paired but I can't stand the constant flip-flop and lack of any romance what so ever between them. Sure there is being "professional" but let's be real, that wouldn't stop someone from planting one on their partner who they presumed was dead. If they ever do feature Chris and Jill in another game then they had better do more than simply hint that maybe they are or maybe they're not. Commit to it and own it- give them more personality in the process.

Looking at RE5 and RE6- it is easy to argue that they are simply close friends. But Revelations definitely hinted to fans that perhaps they are more than just friends despite the lack of any romance. The email in Revelations 2 can be interpreted in different ways.

It's to the point now where shyness shouldn't be a factor, these two are almost 40 years old- grab dat ass and pull them close.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I also believe some gaymers wish Chris was gay cuz he's considered to have a "hot bod" lol

Since I'm not a gaymer myself, I can't say for sure, but I doubt that's the reason. Neither a gay man nor a straight woman in their right mind will ever get their hopes up about a sexual relationship with Chris simply because he's a fictional character with a fictional body, no matter how hot that accumulation of pixels looks. Besides, you can have sexual fantasies about whoever you want without asking their permission or taking their sexuality into account at all, so if you want to pleasure yourself thinking of Chris, go ahead. No one can stop you, not even the guys who originally thought him up and may or may not have decided on his sexuality.

That being said, I think it's less about that and more about the representation of the LGBT community. While it can be quite hard to find a story nowadays that doesn't have at least one gay character somewhere in the cast, a (male) gay main characters still only appears in romance and drama stories. You never see them in action movies, for example. Granted, an action movie is about action and not about romance, hence the genre classification, but that usually still doesn't stop the male hero from getting his girl in the end. What if that girl was a boy for once? And what if that tough soldier fighting bioterrorism secretly (or even not so secretly) had an affair with one of his subordinates? It would be easy to work that into the plot without making the story all about it, and it might just change the minds of people who think that a man can't possibly be gay unless he runs around in women's clothes (which, for anyone who doesn't know the difference, would be called transvestism, not homosexuality).

It's to the point now where shyness shouldn't be a factor, these two are almost 40 years old- grab dat ass and pull them close.

They're not only forty years old, they've also known each other for about half of those forty years. And that's one of the reasons I can't imagine shipping them: If nothing happened in all that long-ass time they've already spent together, then it would be ridiculous for something to happen now. They might be in love with their jobs, but everyone also has a private life, and RE has shown affection between other characters despite said characters also having important jobs, so what's the problem? To hell with "Maybe they're just not showing it" - if Capcom wanted those two together, then they would be together, full stop, no secrecy required.

(Although to be fair, we all know there's more than just one story writer and one decision maker working for Capcom, and each one of them seems to have a different take on this relationship, so maybe they just can't agree on it.)

Last edited:
I just think it would be refreshing to see a matcho guy like Chris to be gay. Honestly if he isn't gay he is just as plain as all other typical male characters in video games today. Brown hair looks like he is 30ish with PTSD. Chris and Joel from The last of us could be the same person, and so can most other male characters in video games today. I think Chris being gay would make him stand out and would make the scene with him and Piers mean so much more.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Come on- that Wesker/Chris pairing is so twisted and adds so much depth between the two. It's amazing and I can't see it any other way.

STEM_inhabitant

It's normal for game characters to have no love interest throughout a game series, that doesn't mean they're gay...
The question of Chris's sexuality was never meant to be a part of the plot, that's it.
As for that horrendous sailor outfit, I have to admit, its quite ridiculous, but that's Capcom for you.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Yep and that's something which really grates on my nerves. I care a lot about good and consistent storytelling and unfortunately that's not the case with RE, because as I stated they change very often the writer and producer and each of them has a different idea/opinion on everything.:razz:

That said. I don't believe Chris is bi either. His skimpy unlockable outfits? Nothing more than fanservice. Don't forget: RE is a japanese developed game and the japs love to fanservice off their characters in a very sexualized manner, regardless of gender.:razz: I remember one of the main characters in Dead Rising franchise having a stereotypical gay leather outfit as an unlockable outfit.

I also believe some gaymers wish Chris was gay cuz he's considered to have a "hot bod" lol I also remember back when ME3 released images of James Vega (a male character who's equally buff as Chris Redfield) how many gay dudes were wetting their pants over him. When they shipped the game James had a buddy on the Normandy, Steve Cortez, who actually happened to be gay. lol But James himself, despite having a gay best buddy? Straight. Then again, Bioware is not afraid of implementing gay characters in their games and even I as a straight guy must admit that Bioware writes better gay characters than Capcom writes straight characters. lol

Unlike others, I don't see much problems having with Chris and Jill having a romance. They've been teased since the first game and I don't consider a romance between them being forced, unlike Leon and Ada, which feels totally forced and hasn't really evolved over the years. I know I see many people saying stuff like: Chris and Jill would be so stereotypical and boring blah blah blah but Nathan Drake and Elena are also a very stereotypical couple, you know the "first guy and first girl", yet you don't see anyone complaining about them. Example: For me a ChrisxRebecca romance would be forced, simply because Rebecca is a typical "female Love Interest type" in japanese media. You know the overly cutesy-kawaii female, so I hope Vendetta will avoid this :wink:

And last but not least, I see a lot of fangirls going crazy over M/M ships these days. I dunno when this became a trend but you don't see that with guys who go crazy on the net and proclaim their love for an F/F pairing, while dissing an M/F pairing. Not trying to insult here someone, but that's been my observation.:lol:

Just my two cents

No kidding but that's the bane of game design. When a series gets so big it becomes harder to be consistent. It needs to change and adapt to stay relevant. Resident Evil wouldn't be as relevant today if it didn't make it's changes for RE4. The constant change of writers and directors makes it hard to be consistent, while being fresh. They really need to look back and start tying plot threads together. Rumors have it that RE7 will be doing that, but that's just speculation for now.

LOL Well... leave it to BioWare to do that. Expect more of it in the future. Social awareness has always been one of their core values. I heard that there's been word going around that you can have odd relationships in Andromeda.

I do have to disagree with your comparison with Nate and Elena. The thing is, they have had great chemistry from the first scene they met each other in. You knew it was kind of meant to be. She always brought out the best in Nathan and got him to better himself. She would often bring out the hero in him. She's always involved in the best and worst moments of his life, and had a huge impact Nathans moral compass and desire to become the better man. Those two characters define each other while still being their own people. There's a link that constantly ping-pongs back and forth and without Elena, Nathan wouldn't be the person he is. The same could be said likewise. Jill and Chris do not share that same chemistry, nor do they have that big impact on each others lives in terms of the narrative design. Both characters would likely still be who they were if they weren't deeply tied together. The evolution of their character design is not even close to being on the same level as to what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted and the Last of Us. Their characters tend to all grow and develop together as one, like a big family. It effects every corner of their narrative as the world is designed around their characters. Capcom's characters exist and grow within the world they exist in.

I'm not fangirling or anything, I just think Chris and Piers would be a great couple, to me their relationship didn't seem like a brotherly love type of thing, I think Chris treats Jill more like a bro than Piers. :geek:

For some reason I can't just help but agree with this.... :eek: Not to mention Chris totally has bromance with Jill xD

I just think it would be refreshing to see a matcho guy like Chris to be gay. Honestly if he isn't gay he is just as plain as all other typical male characters in video games today. Brown hair looks like he is 30ish with PTSD. Chris and Joel from The last of us could be the same person, and so can most other male characters in video games today. I think Chris being gay would make him stand out and would make the scene with him and Piers mean so much more.

I agree. I've kind of been saying the same thing for a long time now. Chris is as stereo-typical as they come in RE5. It's funny how in RE5 he called Wesker a comic book villain, where Chris was just an ideal comic book hero. As stale as they come but they save the day and serve as a hero. In the first RE he was just some dude... RE6 was the first game where he was humanized and color was added into his personality. It was the first time he had real character flaws. It also was the first time he had substance in his character development. No other character in the series was as boring or static as Chris and they all filled some role. Chris kind of filled all the shoes as a human Swiss army knife in his own way and he was a cardboard cutout kind of guy. He fit whatever role that specific game needed him to be. So I'm actually excited for Vendetta to see if Capcom learned with him and see how they evolve him moving forward after the extreme development of his character in RE6 and "The Marhawa Desire".

I think Capcom played it way too safe with Leon's personality in RE6, but perhaps that gave them the breathing room to take the risks they did with Chris and Jake which had both positive and negative reactions from the fans.

It's normal for game characters to have no love interest throughout a game series, that doesn't mean they're gay...
The question of Chris's sexuality was never meant to be a part of the plot, that's it.
As for that horrendous sailor outfit, I have to admit, its quite ridiculous, but that's Capcom for you.

This guy gets it xD It's still a game and if there's one thing about Resident Evil. It tends to focus on the game play first and then the story. Without no game, you have no story. Though I do agree that Capcom could be much more consistent. They tend to create a game design and continue to refine it and build the story around it. I'm sure most of us here are aware of this reality after all the RE4 builds, the different RE5 builds and how they changed the direction and much of the core plot just to supplement co-op. Which for the record changed Chris's whole personality out of the blue and scrapped his lone wolf personality for the sakes of the co-op according to info released on pre-alpha concept arts. In the first build he was not with the B.S.A.A. and it wouldn't make sense for him to have a partner. So they little scrapped the plot for the mechanics, supposedly even removing Barry from the story. It's very clear the RE7's plot is using a new main protagonist so they can focus on horror mechanics and make the player weak and untrained in the gameplay.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

That doesn't make him/them straight either...

I think it is obvious that anyone who views Chris (or any character) as gay or bi simply wants a little more complexity to the character rather than being a cookie cutter action hero. Since there really isn't anything solid about his sexual preference, that is actually featured in the games, then why not?

I see him more along the lines of bisexual.

This guy gets it xD It's still a game and if there's one thing about Resident Evil. It tends to focus on the game play first and then the story. Without no game, you have no story. Though I do agree that Capcom could be much more consistent. They tend to create a game design and continue to refine it and build the story around it. I'm sure most of us here are aware of this reality after all the RE4 builds, the different RE5 builds and how they changed the direction and much of the core plot just to supplement co-op. Which for the record changed Chris's whole personality out of the blue and scrapped his lone wolf personality for the sakes of the co-op according to info released on pre-alpha concept arts. In the first build he was not with the B.S.A.A. and it wouldn't make sense for him to have a partner. So they little scrapped the plot for the mechanics, supposedly even removing Barry from the story. It's very clear the RE7's plot is using a new main protagonist so they can focus on horror mechanics and make the player weak and untrained in the gameplay.

Sure Capcom may be focusing on gameplay but we can all see that this is where they are struggling with storytelling and developing the series properly. It is absolutely stupid of them to make a game with the gameplay as its foundation rather than its story and characters. This is why games like Uncharted are so successful; most people want loveable and complex characters in videogames. I think Capcom might realize this now but unfortunately their realization came after making poor decisions with major number titles.

Last edited:

STEM_inhabitant

I think it is obvious that anyone who views Chris (or any character) as gay or bi simply wants a little more complexity to the character rather than being a cookie cutter action hero. Since there really isn't anything solid about his sexual preference, that is actually featured in the games, then why not?

I see him more along the lines of bisexual.

You're right, nothing suggests that he isn't bisexual, but it just so happens that his sexual preference wasn't part of the story throughout the series, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So yes, technically speaking, he may be bisexual, just like many other characters from many different games, but there's no way to confirm that unless Capcom hints strongly at it or just tells us that he is bisexual. There's a 50/50 chance of that, and you could say the same for just about any other male protagonist who doesn't show interest towards women in other games.

STEM_inhabitant

Sure Capcom may be focusing on gameplay but we can all see that this is where they are struggling with storytelling and developing the series properly. It is absolutely stupid of them to make a game with the gameplay as its foundation rather than it's story and characters. This is why games like Uncharted are so successful; most people want loveable and complex characters in videogames. I think Capcom might realize this now but unfortunately their realization came after making poor decisions with major number titles.

The biggest reason why this is so true is because I love RE for the old gameplay, not for its characters or story, which is kinda sad.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Sure Capcom may be focusing on gameplay but we can all see that this is where they are struggling with storytelling and developing the series properly. It is absolutely stupid of them to make a game with the gameplay as its foundation rather than its story and characters. This is why games like Uncharted are so successful; most people want loveable and complex characters in videogames. I think Capcom might realize this now but unfortunately their realization came after making poor decisions with major number titles.

Naughty Dog is one of the few exceptions to the rule. To be honest they are really the only exception even thought they are not. Naughty Dog just does a phenomenal job at mapping out all the story major and minor beats and likely have design documents that are hundreds of pages long. It's all so very well planned. Uncharted 4 was delayed multiple times and I remember Naughty Dog admitting that they were redesigning certain levels. So you can clearly see that they do go back to make sure everything fits properly. They are probably one of the best companies in the industry when it comes to polishing. They work like crazy! Not very many developers get that bond to do something like that.

I do think Revelations 2 was a huge step in the right direction for Capcom and hopefully they learned from that. Then again we probably have different teams working on that game and RE7 and definitely different writers. I'm hoping that RE7 goes back to answer unanswered plot threads much like Revelations 2 did. I would prefer that they tie up what they already have rather than continuously adding new plot lines that aren't related like RE6 did with the exception of bringing back Sherry which fans have been wanting to know what's been going on with her.

While I agree with most of what you said, I do need to disagree on one thing. Games that focus on game play before story sell considerably better in terms of sales. Every time a game is made the core gameplay mechanics are laid out first. Story always comes second. I wished it weren't true but the story is always re-written multiple times during development. Re-write after re-write after re-write and I'll tell you... it's not fun. I'd love to make a game straight to my vision in terms of story and characters. Unfortunately we need to abide to the gameplay and the whole development team. There is definitely a market of gamers that want to focus on narrative and characters. Unfortunately there's cost factors and risk factors and almost no company will put story before gameplay. It's easier and considerably more cost effective to re-write content than it is to redo an error someone made. Naughty Dog still does gameplay first, but story goes hand and hand. If something isn't fun, you bet they will scrap it. Also keep in mind that there is a pay off to do what they do. Their games are shorter than the average video game these days. The quantity is low, but their quality is amongst the top 5 highest in the industry... if not number 1. Most developers write as they go. Capcom I'm sure is one of them. Though I am sure they have a vault in the company that has potential outlines for the RE future since it's their biggest IP.

MisterScott

I don't really care if Chris is gay but I think that he is probably more likely to be straight or bisexual than gay since as others mentioned that cut content from lost in nightmares references him flirting with a young woman, he probably didn't take Jessica seriously because he most likely didn't trust her (and was right obviously) and I don't think any sane man would trust a woman who goes as far as wearing a uniform with half of her bottom exposed so it's like saying Leon is gay because at the end he didn't want to date Ashley even though he flirted with Hunnigan shortly after (but than again he could've been joking).

Ashley Kritz 267

Of course he is, i got the proof right here :biggrin:

I believe that Chris and Wesker were meant to be together. I never agreed that Chris should be with Jill, because Jill is with Carlos in RE Nemesis. Believe in what you want I won't discourage you. But Chris and Wesker are a cute couple :wink:

Top Bottom