• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 IGN: "What we want from Resident Evil 6"

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Aoshi is right though...I mean...Look at all forms of media...You don't have to be interested in it to appreciate the work...I mean...I'm no fan of Halo whatsoever...But I can appreciate how revolutionary it was, both in game play and in graphics...And that's the same with all forms of media...If it has reasons to appreciate it then you should...Even if uninterested...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Aoshi is right though...I mean...Look at all forms of media...You don't have to be interested in it to appreciate the work...I mean...I'm no fan of Halo whatsoever...But I can appreciate how revolutionary it was, both in game play and in graphics...And that's the same with all forms of media...If it has reasons to appreciate it then you should...Even if uninterested...
Sometimes KennedyKiller, I swear you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

No, he's not right, not logically. Garth Brooks was revolutionary too, but if country music drives you up the wall, why can't you dislike his music? Because it's considered 'revolutionary'? Please, give me a break. Sure, you can appreciate the work, but you have no ethical obligation to. None whatsoever. I have a serious problem with people telling others what they can or cannot like or dislike. It's purely unconstitutional. Everyone has every right to like or dislike or appreciate whatever they want on the basis of whatever they want. So leave them alone. Don't tell someone else that they have to appreciate a game. That's ridiculous.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I bought RE4 because I heard it was fantastic and played like a movie. When I got my hands on it I agreed that while it was well made it felt too much like an action movie. I felt like I was playing a super-awesome-tough-hero, who I kinda liked, but.....really? I didn't ONCE feel scared until waaaaaay late in the game. And then the only reason I did was because I had no ammo and had to make it passed all these crazy bad guys. Eventually I just gave up playing because it just wasn't delivering. I was really close to the end too.

Now if they made RE6 have more moments like that bolded part then hoooooooooooooly crap. ._. I think RE needs to get stripped of all its movie-style fat and just be a survival horror game. I never really gave that genre a try, but I've always wanted to. If they made RE6 a straight-up survivor horror then yes I would try it out. :)

In the meantime if anyone wants to recommend a RE game like that on the PS3/PSN you can...

I completely agree. Resi already started out as a cinematic game to begin with, inspired by Romero films and one of the first games that I can recall to use camera angles strategically as a horror movie director would. Mikami deliberately placed his cameras so that you were frightened to go around a corner.

Resi was already cinematic enough. Bring back the survival horror!

Meg

So bin ich eben
Wow. Did I really not say multiple times that I think RE4 was a well-made game it just wasn't the kind of game I like playing. Clearly I do appreciate it or I wouldn't have said that. I really don't understand why this is even a debate.

I don't like RE4. I'm allowed to think that. Nothing anyone says will make me like it. Deal with it.

I vote we talk about what IGN wants from RE6. :)

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Wow. Did I really not say multiple times that I think RE4 was a well-made game it just wasn't the kind of game I like playing. Clearly I do appreciate it or I wouldn't have said that. I really don't understand why this is even a debate.

I don't like RE4. I'm allowed to think that. Nothing anyone says will make me like it. Deal with it.

What she said^^^

She clearly pointed out that she appreciates RE4 for what it was but did not like it.

There is a HUGE difference in "appreciating" something and "disliking" something. And Meg has said that she "appreciates" how well made the game is but does not "like" the overall game. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. This debate seems pretty darn ridiculous and aoshi and KennedyKiller's arguments against it are pretty darn ridiculous IMO.

Telling someone it is "unfair" to dislike something is just flat out wrong. who are you to say they have no right to dislike something that does not meet their personal taste? who are you to say that they are being unfair and unreasonable because they do not like the same game as you?

I appreciate the fact that US soldiers are at war fighting for our freedom but I still hate war and hate that they are fighting and wish it would stop. Does that mean I am being "unfair" for hating war?

*sigh* This discussion really should have never came up...

aoshi

No, he's not right, not logically. Garth Brooks was revolutionary too, but if country music drives you up the wall, why can't you dislike his music? Because it's considered 'revolutionary'? Please, give me a break. Sure, you can appreciate the work, but you have no ethical obligation to. None whatsoever. I have a serious problem with people telling others what they can or cannot like or dislike. It's purely unconstitutional. Everyone has every right to like or dislike or appreciate whatever they want on the basis of whatever they want. So leave them alone. Don't tell someone else that they have to appreciate a game. That's ridiculous.

I think you are misleading the argument. I never asked meg to oblige that RE 4 needs to be liked. I only tried to reason her disliking the game.I am sorry but i don't agree that personal preferences should always determine likes and dislikes.I am not forcing anyone to like RE 4. I am trying to discuss on wat is exactly missing in RE 4 that is leading to dislike it.Why are you taking it personal? Me or kennedykiller never forced anyone to like RE 4. It's perfectly logical to discuss likes and dislikes than to be rational about it.If you are not interested in discussing them, please don't share it.

I don't see how i have offended anyone in asking for an explanation on their likes or dislikes. It IS unfair to have rational opinions on subjects that may need an understanding.I think games require understanding than personal opinions.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

Lol...But you guys are misunderstanding...It is a ok to dislike it or like...But regardless if the work is extraordinary there should be a certain level of appreciation...It is 100% to not like it...Just like it's 100% fine for me to not like Halo...But it should be appreciated because a LOT of work went into it, and it was ''revolutionary''...Frankly, if we all agreed then it would be totally and completely boring...So it's refreshing to hear someone say "I don't like RE4". But we can agree on more than if we just ''like'' something...That's why I'm in no way shape or form attacking Meg for not liking it...She agreed it was well made, and she appreciates it...I understood that from the beginning, and if it came across as I was attacking her or something my apologies, however, my argument is just over the fact that some work, if not all work, should be appreciated weather it was liked or not...I'll even throw in one more example for you Femme...I HATE country music with a passion as well, but DAMN are some of the guitar solos in country music ten TIMES better than anything Slash could do...Also, it takes guts to get up on stage every night and bitch about your truck and your ex-wife...Country singers do that...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I think its not fair to dislike a game based on choice. May not showing interest in the game would be apt. I agree that games like NFS are not interesting but disliking them is not fair.I would agree if you were not interested in the game than disliking the game.
I think it is unfair to dislike a publicly accepted franchise because it would mean disrespect to those who like the game or have supported the game.Besides, there has been effort and money invested and most of all developers success which can not be DISLIKED on rational thoughts.
I understand that meg is not interested than disliking the game.
Sorry, what were you saying about disliking a game being 'a-okay?

First and foremost - appreciation is a curtesy, not a requirement. That's hardly relevant however, because appreciation isn't what was being talked about. You can hardly come around and say, 'I think you misunderstood, disliking is okay' after saying Aoshi is right... he has based his argument on his belief that disliking a game is unfair.

aoshi

Sorry, what were you saying about disliking a game being 'a-okay?

First and foremost - appreciation is a curtesy, not a requirement. That's hardly relevant however, because appreciation isn't what was being talked about. You can hardly come around and say, 'I think you misunderstood, disliking is okay' after saying Aoshi is right... he has based his argument on his belief that disliking a game is unfair.

I am sorry but you have not read my argument well enough.I said disliking a game RATIONALLY is unfair.I also disagree that appreciation is a courtesy. Appreciations are deserving than a courtesy.Your argument is solely targeting that fact i questioned someone's like or dislike. If you are offended by it, I can care less cuz i did not accuse,abuse or intentionally offend anybody's feelings.

I think gaming is a sport than entertainment where everything is about winning or losing.

I don't see how you are in anyway righteous in your arguments that you are questioning mine. If its about being right or wrong, I think you are wrong in saying that personal emotions or feelings SHOULD bias a like or dislike. It is wrong for a teacher to personally like a student than students who fair well or deserve credits. It is wrong for a lawyer to personally support convicts to earn more money. Personal opinions can be rational which disregard or hide the actual truth or fact. I think facts are more right than fiction.

Meg

So bin ich eben
I am sorry but you have not read my arguement well enough.I said disliking a game RATIONALLY is unfair.I also disagree that appreciation is a courtesy. Appreciations are deserving than a courtesy.
Or maybe you aren't presenting your argument well enough. For example, you keep using the word "rational." Here's how dictionary.com defines it:

1. agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible: a rational plan for economic development.
2. Having or exercising reason, sound judgement, or good sense: a calm and rational negotiator.

You say that disliking a game rationally is unfair. But the definition of rational is being reasonable and sensible. So by your logic the only fair way to dislike a game is to be a troll or fanboy that doesn't use facts to back up why they like/dislike something, but instead just yells crap. That's what you are saying, might not be what you meant, but that is what your word choice is saying.

Please explain what you mean with a clearer word choice and you'll find me, Ms. Le Femme, and everyone else that disagrees with you having a better understanding of your argument. Thank you.

EDIT: Aoshi, I think you'll find that none of us are offended by what you are saying; we are questioning your logic because it doesn't make sense to us.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I said disliking a game RATIONALLY is unfair.

Oh man...

Where is a facepalm smiley when you need one lol.

So your saying disliking it "MINDLESSELY" is ok?

Similar to what Meg said about being a troll and just disliking a game for the heck of it and not giving a reason?

What flawed logic you have their dude.....

And KennedyKiller,

Please just stop agreeing with this guy...

Your only making yourself look worse when you agree its ok to dislike it but he thinks its not ok to dislike it "rationally". Your statement is in contrast to his own and yet you still keep thanking his posts....

I'm starting to think what La femme said about you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing might be true...

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
What is not being understood here, is the fact that not everyone is going to appreciate something just because it's revolutionary. That is absurd. People are so diverse, there is no possible way that every human being is going to appreciate even having a roof over their head...let alone appreciate a video game just because it's revolutionary in some way.

Case closed. No mystery here.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
This discussion is what we call "a storm in a glass of water". A prolonged discussion over an issue not really worth debating.
I suspect that there was a language misunderstanding too, it's not always easy to talk a foreign language. I know, I have done my own blunders when writing English. :)

aoshi

Oh man...

Where is a facepalm smiley when you need one lol.

So your saying disliking it "MINDLESSELY" is ok?

Similar to what Meg said about being a troll and just disliking a game for the heck of it and not giving a reason?

What flawed logic you have their dude.....

And KennedyKiller,

Please just stop agreeing with this guy...

Your only making yourself look worse when you agree its ok to dislike it but he thinks its not ok to dislike it "rationally". Your statement is in contrast to his own and yet you still keep thanking his posts....

I'm starting to think what La femme said about you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing might be true...

I think you are the troll that needs to stop arguing. Why do you care if kennedykiller agrees with me? Cuz you don't like it....WTF.

The whole misconception of people having personal likes and dislikes is absurd to the discussion that RE 4 is to be disliked on random assumptions. If you can't reason why RE 4 is to be disliked, there is no point in making an arguement about it. Cuz you ain't proven nothing besides a troll who does not understand reasoning.

I agree i was wrong in saying that rational opinions mean random and non-reasonable. My point was it was non-reasonable to dislike a game on random assumptions which are not correct.If kennedykiller can understand it, I can't see why you shouldn't either. I disagree that RE 4 was not scary or lacked horror elements. I even reasoned it in my first post with concepts like regenerators and dogs. Heck, there are even threads that discuss on wat was scariest in RE 4. So it is proven that game has horror elements. It is ridiculous to argue that the game wasn't good enough to meet personal expectations. It is non-sense to expect the developer to please every person's individual preferences cuz it is not possible. Jus to say that diverse opinions exist is in no way relevant to the argument that a game should be judged on individual preferences. To comment on subjects of common interest, It is basic to neutrally analyze merits and demerits of the subject and is ****ing trolling to state it isn't of personal interest.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I think you are the troll that needs to stop arguing. Why do you care if kennedykiller agrees with me? Cuz you don't like it....WTF.

The whole misconception of people having personal likes and dislikes is absurd to the discussion that RE 4 is to be disliked on random assumptions. If you can't reason why RE 4 is to be disliked, there is no point in making an arguement about it. Cuz you ain't proven nothing besides a troll who does not understand reasoning.

I agree i was wrong in saying that rational opinions mean random and non-reasonable. My point was it was non-reasonable to dislike a game on random assumptions which are not correct.If kennedykiller can understand it, I can't see why you shouldn't either. I disagree that RE 4 was not scary or lacked horror elements. I even reasoned it in my first post with concepts like regenerators and dogs. Heck, there are even threads that discuss on wat was scariest in RE 4. So it is proven that game has horror elements. It is ridiculous to argue that the game wasn't good enough to meet personal expectations. It is non-sense to expect the developer to please every person's individual preferences cuz it is not possible. Jus to say that diverse opinions exist is in no way relevant to the argument that a game should be judged on individual preferences. To comment on subjects of common interest, It is basic to neutrally analyze merits and demerits of the subject and is ******* trolling to state it isn't of personal interest.

Now did I call you a Troll?

*sigh*

And I clearly explained why I thought KennedyKiller should stop agreeing with you. Its was not because I didn't like it "obviously" but because I felt what he said earlier was in contrast to what you said.

But this is offtopic and is getting nowhere.

Lets end this pointless discussion that should have never came up in the first place.

You should have never posted towards meg telling her it is wrong and unfair to dislike this game.

She has the right to dislike anything she wants.

Alot of people on this topic know that "except for KennedyKiller apparently since he keeps agreeing with you"...

Lets just end this now and get back ontopic.

Meg

So bin ich eben

I agree i was wrong in saying that rational opinions mean random and non-reasonable. My point was it was non-reasonable to dislike a game on random assumptions which are not correct.If kennedykiller can understand it, I can't see why you shouldn't either. I disagree that RE 4 was not scary or lacked horror elements. I even reasoned it in my first post with concepts like regenerators and dogs. Heck, there are even threads that discuss on wat was scariest in RE 4. So it is proven that game has horror elements. It is ridiculous to argue that the game wasn't good enough to meet personal expectations. It is non-sense to expect the developer to please every person's individual preferences cuz it is not possible. Jus to say that diverse opinions exist is in no way relevant to the argument that a game should be judged on individual preferences. To comment on subjects of common interest, It is basic to neutrally analyze merits and demerits of the subject and is ******* trolling to state it isn't of personal interest.

I just want to say a couple things and then I'm not talking about this in any thread again.

Firstly, thank you, Aoshi, for clarifying what you mean. I'm glad you saw that some of your word choice was off and fixed it so I could fully understand what you are trying to say. Now that I do, let me reply. First, yes the game has horror elements; I agree with that. Just because most people find the game scary doesn't mean I got scared much. Their were a couple moments late in the game that freaked me the heck out, but nothing prior.

I also didn't say the game wasn't good enough to meet my personal expectations. I had said right from the beginning that the game was very well made, but just not my kind of game. I also never said that I expect the developer to please everyone. That IS impossible as you said. Just because the game didn't please me doesn't mean it isn't a good game.

I take it you want to know why I don't like RE4 instead of just saying that I don't? Well I'll tell ya:

1) Not being able to move while aiming was very annoying.
2) Didn't scare me
3) Felt too much like an action movie: not enough moments that were truly scary.
4) QTE
5) Story and characters were just okay
6) Script was also just "meh"
7) Lots of ammo everywhere
8) Fixed behind the shoulder camera angle

Those are the main reasons I didn't like RE4. Apart from a few small things that might get annoying there wasn't anything else that jumps to mind. You or anyone else can argue any of those points to the death all you want, but no one is going to change how much I didn't enjoy the game. I played close to the end because I recognized the game had lot of great ideas. I just never got into it.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
AAAAAAAAARGH!

Man, am I ever sick of seeing nothing but arguments across the network of boards we have. Soooo many long posts with people over-explaining their positions and what they mean by saying X, Y and Z.

You know what would really help? Posting once you've thoroughly read your response to ensure that not only does it make sense but that also it's not about to start some ridiculous flaming and troll-baiting exercise. I'm not saying people are intentionally trying to kick off on each other, but some of you sure don't know when to stop.

For srs. A little care before hitting "reply" can make the world of difference to how a thread pans out.

Please let's get back to the topic at hand, if that's even remotely possible.

Top Bottom