• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 IGN: "What we want from Resident Evil 6"

Painted_Wraith

There's a few aspects of Silent Hill Homecoming that I think would work with RE. The item screen being a menu which pauses the game, but doesn't take up as much time as the early games. Say, holding a shoulder button and using the analog to cycle, so when letting go you're right back into the action. It decreases the intenseness and all that, but I think it would work if the game was surrounded in a more creepy atmosphere with more scares, rather than having a horde of enemies around every corner. I don't think they should go back entirely to their roots enemy wise, because I like the idea of having a partner, and I don't think the next game would do so well if it were only one player. If the story were mostly situated within an inside area I think it would naturally give for a better compromise between the older and more recent games anyway.

And lets see the return of backtracking. Something similar to Lost in Nightmares. I found that, by playing multiplayer, it would get boring if the game was over-loaded with instances where one person should just wait around for the other to do something, such as the heat-sensitive paper, but just having keys, and cranks etc. would be great in my opinion.

As for Leon and Chris pairing up, I really do not want to see Chris again for a long time. The guy has bored the crap outta me. RE5 is one of my favourite installments, but it's mostly due to the action rather than the story. Jill and Leon is an overdue team up that I would like to see, but I guess it would be hard to involve them both in the same plot since they've always been seperated, and have both had their parts in the series developed.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I pretty much agree with everything that was said on ign.

Especially the parts concerning RE5 and it feeling like a big action movie instead of a actual RE game.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I really enjoyed this article. The author seemed relatively intelligent about the past games, not just a new-age fan-boy/fan-girl but I still disagree with some of the points made.

"Please Scare Us"
Yes, please. I really felt the lack of tense moments in Resident Evil 4 and what little I've played of Resident Evil 5. The action's there but the survival horror isn't and I think that all the action lovers should take a moment to think about what made this series great, what it was based on and where it's success came from: survival horror not hard-core, first person, rail shooting action.

"It's About Survival, Stupid"
Much of the above points are reiterated here. Resident Evil's genre is survival horror and, if you want to continue making Resident Evil games, continue making them about survival horror, not action. I hate to say it but it's not scary when you've got all the ammo you could ever ask for. Unlimited ammo prizes for achieving certain feats, such as completing the game with an S rank or what have you, are amazing but as far as ammo being abundant throughout the game on the first play through? Give me a challenge before making it easy, will you?

"Remember The Legacy"
This is where things get a little iffy. Leon and Chris co-existing in the same game? Yeah...let's not and say we did. And this isn't just about my innate dislike for Mr. Kennedy either. The series has always been based on the idea of a hero and a heroine surviving matters alone and together at times. The guys like playing as the hero and the girls like playing as the heroine and, while sometimes we like to switch it up, it's always nice to have diversity in your main characters. Now what would the point be in two heroes in the same game? Not only are you alienating your audience who likes playing as the heroine but, if this were a real situation, you'd only be asking for trouble what with two heroes as different as Chris and Leon being in charge. It would be like Dino Crisis and the decisions between Rick's choices and Gail's; it's just not a good idea in my biased and unbiased opinion.

"Be Careful With Co-Op"
Agreed! I have a system with Resident Evil, a specific way that I play and I don't share well, simple as that. I also don't know how to express how annoying artificial intelligence is. I just...it makes me swear and throw things and that's not good for my gaming platform or my money, don'tcha know. I think everyone knows what I mean, that feeling you get when Sheva's just running around like a chicken with her head cut off, getting killed and what not or when Chris is being an ammo hog, so I find it unnecessary to elaborate.

"Bring Back Zombies"
The franchise was built on zombies and I think it was just a kick in the face to the old fans to get rid of what attracted them to the series. It was like with the new action aspect that many older fans didn't like; forsake old, loyal fans who've made you money for new, more frivolous ones who only care about graphics. Yeah, because that makes sense. :rolleyes: (This isn't meant as a cheap shot at people who came into the series late, it's merely a conclusion I've come to after observing numerous article, game play and video comments and conversations between different types of fans and definitely doesn't apply to everyone.)

"Find New Territory"
Of course, just don't screw it up.

Nice article, good read, thanks for sharing.

B.Martin

I agree with most of it, whilst i didn't mind the 2 player or solo/ai story. I think it should have been an option to have 2 players and not mandatory, i'm sure there are a few people who would agree that RE5 could have been better with just Chris. I also liked certain parts about RE4, for example the inventory that allowed you to turn your weapons around to fit more in case was really cool and i liked the merchant idea too. Its a bit queer but i also kinda liked the communication with that girl on the phone.

aaron

I completely agree, RE has become more action/ shooter than survival horror. Yes, action/shooter is very popular right now, but there are enough of those games. RE 6 should go back to it's roots.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I agree with basically everything that IGN said...It's what I've been preaching to this site since i joined a year ago...
There's a few aspects of Silent Hill Homecoming that I think would work with RE.
I completely agree. Homecoming was the first TRULY creepy game...dare I even say scary, game I played, since, well, probably since REmake...

aoshi

As much as i accept the points in the article , I disagree to a few.

Ammo conservation - I liked how RE 4 was generous of ammo. It only provides a good strategy to take down bosses instead of using rocket launcher.It also gives an alternative to kill enemies instead of running around locations.RE 5 was a bit stingy in ammo with inventory allowing only 9 items. I have complained a lot in mercenaries thread. So i won't say much here. Besides, melees are the only alternative to save ammo in that game. So i would love to have ammo but an increase in the challenge or enemies is okay by me.

Survival horror : I don't understand wat the exact intention of the article is but if we were to expect the same horror elements of past games in next gen consoles, I don't think it would be much fun or engaging. Past games relied on horror than action due to software and hardware limitation. If the hardware and software supported action and a good aiming accuracy, I believe the games would have been action based. Although i agree that RE needs more horror than action, I would not want the action elements to change. I would want the horror elements to be added along with the action. I don't know how it would be possible but that is wat i expect.

Apart from wat was in the article:

Documentation:

I did not find much documentation on bio-terrorism or how wesker approached africa from las plagas success. I did not find communication between characters like irving, excella, jill and wesker in making africa their experimental target through notes. RE 4 had such documentation between characters which made walkthrough engaging and motivated.I would not want unnecessary documentation as the amount of virus that needs to be injected or how hair colours change.

Artifacts:

I understand that africa is not the place to find artifacts but its a game. I would like a better atmosphere for horror game than jus majinis annoying with their shoves and grabs.RE 4 had more artistic locations that was interesting to explore than dry africa. It was jus disturbing to the eye. I know that intention was to create horror but it was jus ugly than horror. I believe it is more difficult to define horror in next gen console.

Sound tracks and BGMs:

I think RE 4 had a better soundtrack and BGMs at each point in the game. Like while saving the game and mercenaries. Nuff said.

Meg

So bin ich eben
I bought RE4 because I heard it was fantastic and played like a movie. When I got my hands on it I agreed that while it was well made it felt too much like an action movie. I felt like I was playing a super-awesome-tough-hero, who I kinda liked, but.....really? I didn't ONCE feel scared until waaaaaay late in the game. And then the only reason I did was because I had no ammo and had to make it passed all these crazy bad guys. Eventually I just gave up playing because it just wasn't delivering. I was really close to the end too.

Now if they made RE6 have more moments like that bolded part then hoooooooooooooly crap. ._. I think RE needs to get stripped of all its movie-style fat and just be a survival horror game. I never really gave that genre a try, but I've always wanted to. If they made RE6 a straight-up survivor horror then yes I would try it out. :)

In the meantime if anyone wants to recommend a RE game like that on the PS3/PSN you can...

aoshi

I bought RE4 because I heard it was fantastic and played like a movie. When I got my hands on it I agreed that while it was well made it felt too much like an action movie. I felt like I was playing a super-awesome-tough-hero, who I kinda liked, but.....really? I didn't ONCE feel scared until waaaaaay late in the game. And then the only reason I did was because I had no ammo and had to make it passed all these crazy bad guys. Eventually I just gave up playing because it just wasn't delivering. I was really close to the end too.

Now if they made RE6 have more moments like that bolded part then hoooooooooooooly crap. ._. I think RE needs to get stripped of all its movie-style fat and just be a survival horror game. I never really gave that genre a try, but I've always wanted to. If they made RE6 a straight-up survivor horror then yes I would try it out. :)

In the meantime if anyone wants to recommend a RE game like that on the PS3/PSN you can...

Did not the regenerators scare you?I mean the dogs and their howling definitely should have. Since you heard a lot about this game to be great, you might have expected it to be uber-awesome. But thats not wat the game was about. It was strategic. Locations had hide-outs where you can strategize your combat than to run around locations.Though running around was required , like in sewer when vertigo was chasin the hell out of ya.There was competitive mercenaries mode which was all about analyzing locations to get better points.There are supplementary missions that elaborate the story and character's role such as ada.If you find time, give the game another chance, you might have over-looked some aspects of the game.

Meg

So bin ich eben
Did not the regenerators scare you?I mean the dogs and their howling definitely should have. Since you heard a lot about this game to be great, you might have expected it to be uber-awesome. But thats not wat the game was about. It was strategic. Locations had hide-outs where you can strategize your combat than to run around locations.Though running around was required , like in sewer when vertigo was chasin the hell out of ya.There was competitive mercenaries mode which was all about analyzing locations to get better points.There are supplementary missions that elaborate the story and character's role such as ada.If you find time, give the game another chance, you might have over-looked some aspects of the game.
I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't matter how good a game is (I even said it was very well made): if a game isn't my cup of tea it isn't my cup of tea. Not being able to do anything while aiming drove me nuts too. And I doubt my opinion of the game will change if I play it again. Sometimes I play a great game that I just don't like. Sorry.

I don't even have the game anymore and I'm not about to go run out and buy it again because I might feel different about it.

aoshi

I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't matter how good a game is (I even said it was very well made): if a game isn't my cup of tea it isn't my cup of tea. Not being able to do anything while aiming drove me nuts too. And I doubt my opinion of the game will change if I play it again. Sometimes I play a great game that I just don't like. Sorry.

I don't even have the game anymore and I'm not about to go run out and buy it again because I might feel different about it.

How can you not like the game when you find it to be good?I was new to the series and RE 4 was a good start. And thought you had overlooked the game from your post. I would only reject a game if it is really bad. I have not tried MGS games and heard it to be good. Might try that out sometime.

Meg

So bin ich eben
How can you not like the game when you find it to be good?I was new to the series and RE 4 was a good start. And thought you had overlooked the game from your post. I would only reject a game if it is really bad. I have not tried MGS games and heard it to be good. Might try that out sometime.
Just because a game is well made doesn't mean I'm going to like it. I'm not a big racing game fan, so games like NFS: Hot Pursuit might not have anything wrong with them, but because I'm not a big fan of racing games I didn't stay into for long. All I've been trying to say is that RE4 wasn't a bad game it just wasn't my kind of game. I'm sorry I don't feel the same way about the game as you do, but I really don't understand why this is a problem.

aoshi

I don't have any problem wih your disliking. I am jus trying to reason your disliking. I think its not fair to dislike a game based on choice. May not showing interest in the game would be apt. I agree that games like NFS are not interesting but disliking them is not fair.I would agree if you were not interested in the game than disliking the game.

Meg

So bin ich eben
I don't have any problem wih your disliking. I am jus trying to reason your disliking. I think its not fair to dislike a game based on choice. May not showing interest in the game would be apt. I agree that games like NFS are not interesting but disliking them is not fair.I would agree if you were not interested in the game than disliking the game.
Isn't that how it works with all games? You choose to like a game or not based on what you what you consider important. RE4 is a well-made game, but it doesn't have what I want in a game. So I don't like/am not interested in it. I don't how else to put it.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
What Meg has been trying to explain to you, is that we all have preferences that influence whether or not we enjoy a game or other piece of entertainment regardless of whether the game in question is genuinely good or well-made. For instance, look at the Lord of the Rings movies - very well made movies in their own right... but if you're not into wizards and elves and swordfighting, then you're probably not going to like it. It has nothing to do with the game or movie itself, but what you, personally, find enjoyable. So if Meg really doesn't like action games, and she finds RE 4 to be too much of an action game, then she has every right to dislike it. It's hardly 'unfair'.

Meg

So bin ich eben
What Meg has been trying to explain to you, is that we all have preferences that influence whether or not we enjoy a game or other piece of entertainment regardless of whether the game in question is genuinely good or well-made. For instance, look at the Lord of the Rings movies - very well made movies in their own right... but if you're not into wizards and elves and swordfighting, then you're probably not going to like it. It has nothing to do with the game or movie itself, but what you, personally, find enjoyable. So if Meg really doesn't like action games, and she finds RE 4 to be too much of an action game, then she has every right to dislike it. It's hardly 'unfair'.
I like action games quite a bit, just not ones that forbid movement of any kind while aiming. XD

aoshi

There needs to be a enough reasoning to dislike something. I can't dislike it on rational thoughts is my point. A movie or a game does not find recognition without effort and thought. Besides if it has been supported well, I believe there is reasoning to do so. I will take your example in this case. Lord of the rings can be called a well made movie based on reasoning or fan-boyism. Your support on the movie is based on fan-boyism. However, i would support the movie if aspects like cinematography,characters,direction,screenplay are taken into consideration which cannot be disliked on rational thoughts.I think it is unfair to dislike a publicly accepted franchise because it would mean disrespect to those who like the game or have supported the game.Besides, there has been effort and money invested and most of all developers success which can not be DISLIKED on rational thoughts.

I understand that meg is not interested than disliking the game.

EDIT: I found RE 5 to be too hard and messy.However i did not dislike it but try to learn to play the game as it is a good game. Only hard and annoying.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
There needs to be a enough reasoning to dislike something. I can't dislike it on rational thoughts is my point. A movie or a game does not find recognition without effort and thought. Besides if it has been supported well, I believe there is reasoning to do so. I will take your example in this case. Lord of the rings can be called a well made movie based on reasoning or fan-boyism. Your support on the movie is based on fan-boyism. However, i would support the movie if aspects like cinematography,characters,direction,screenplay are taken into consideration which cannot be disliked on rational thoughts.I think it is unfair to dislike a publicly accepted franchise because it would mean disrespect to those who like the game or have supported the game.Besides, there has been effort and money invested and most of all developers success which can not be DISLIKED on rational thoughts.

Your argument is not piecing itself together well, Aoshi. Are you offended that someone else dislikes a game that you like? Don't get me wrong, I love RE 4, but I think it's silly to say other people can't dislike it. Of course they can! It doesn't hurt my feelings because quite frankly, I don't give a ****. The thing with entertainment is that it's subjective. There are many reasons not to like a 'publicly accepted franchise'. Based on your rationale, since the Twilight series is a 'publicly accepted franchise' and many people love it, it's somehow 'unfair' to dislike it? No, I can dislike it based on the fact it's my opinion that the series is shallow and has no intellectual substance. This doesn't mean that I'm right and they are wrong, it means that this franchise is lacking in characteristics I want in a movie and therefore I don't have to like it. These characteristics I want are not the same as what others might want. It's perfectly rationale.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld

EDIT: I found RE 5 to be too hard and messy.However i did not dislike it but try to learn to play the game as it is a good game. Only hard and annoying.
I don't even think I sort of/kind of understand your logic; everyone has the right to dislike anything they want on whatever grounds they want. Rationally I can dislike Resident Evil 4 even if it is a well made game and I can rationally dislike the fact that so much money and effort was put into something that wasn't even the tiniest bit relevant to the series but you don't really need to rationalize something to dislike it, I dislike many things simply on principle or personal biases of mine as does everyone else.

For the Record: People dislike many things in this world and I'd wager that money and/or effort went into just about all of it so I don't see the point in bringing that example into the argument.

Top Bottom