• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake How would you fix the Resident Evil 3 Remake?

Fishcakes

I could make a massive rant on what I would want changed. But I'll keep it short and sweet and say, keep it faithful to the original, so many missed opportunities to grow characters, create more of a story, etc etc. that would be the main thing
However the game was fine, not as much effort was put into it as it deserved but I was still a relatively good game

ToCool74

Veteran Member
-Clock Tower location
-More open ended world (Less linear)
-New Weapons
-More crafting variety
-More enemies
-Etc.

Basically bitch slap Capcom for rushing it out the door for a quick cashgrab and focusing most of their effort on 'Village'.

Agree with all this^^^ But I also would add a truly random and no scripted Nemesis roaming that open ended environment.

Hardware

I reckon at least a few larger areas where Nemesis can stalk you (and thus become a more oppressive presence) would be nice...something like Mr.X in RE2make but with a larger map and more puzzles, quests to solve. Not sure how it would work without a few safe rooms though. Then I guess we should be able to explore the clock tower - I was never too fond of that location (save for the room leading to the chapel - really liked the design), but most people love it to death so it should be there, even though it could be shorter IMHO. The hospital section should remain as it is - it's a huge improvement over the original (save for the stupid "protect the entrance hall" section from RE4). I did hate NEST 2 as I really liked the waste disposal facility from the original - it was a good change of style from the 3rd acts of RE1&2, where you always end up in a lab. Don't know about the cemetery and the Grave Digger - I always found the boss fight to be pretty annoying (same as the Gulp Worm from C:V).

...above all, I'd very much like to see some actual use for the sound suppressor you can pick from Nemesis. I was actually expecting it to have more weight in the gameplay: in RE2make, Mr.X is lured by gunshots. I was seriously hoping Nemesis would've operated the same way, making the suppressed Glock 17 vital to take out zombies without luring the big guy.

Actually, I thought that Nemesis dropping items this time around was stupid. You cannot retrieve anything from Mr.X in RE2make (unlike OG RE2) and that's one of the things that make him scarier: there's nothing to gain by fighting him, so you'd better run. There was no point in making the T103's nastier brother something you actually want to fight with the new style created with the remake of 2. Nemesis pulling a briefcase out of his ass also looked so stupid with 2020 graphics - that's the kind of stuff games from the '90s could do because they looked less realistic.

...but this is all wishful thinking - Capcom is actually pretty pleased with RE:3, as it sold enough for the money they spent on it. It's very unlikely they'll be updating it in any way.

Ikawaru

I reckon at least a few larger areas where Nemesis can stalk you (and thus become a more oppressive presence) would be nice...something like Mr.X in RE2make but with a larger map and more puzzles, quests to solve. Not sure how it would work without a few safe rooms though. Then I guess we should be able to explore the clock tower - I was never too fond of that location (save for the room leading to the chapel - really liked the design), but most people love it to death so it should be there, even though it could be shorter IMHO. The hospital section should remain as it is - it's a huge improvement over the original (save for the stupid "protect the entrance hall" section from RE4). I did hate NEST 2 as I really liked the waste disposal facility from the original - it was a good change of style from the 3rd acts of RE1&2, where you always end up in a lab. Don't know about the cemetery and the Grave Digger - I always found the boss fight to be pretty annoying (same as the Gulp Worm from C:V).

...above all, I'd very much like to see some actual use for the sound suppressor you can pick from Nemesis. I was actually expecting it to have more weight in the gameplay: in RE2make, Mr.X is lured by gunshots. I was seriously hoping Nemesis would've operated the same way, making the suppressed Glock 17 vital to take out zombies without luring the big guy.

Actually, I thought that Nemesis dropping items this time around was stupid. You cannot retrieve anything from Mr.X in RE2make (unlike OG RE2) and that's one of the things that make him scarier: there's nothing to gain by fighting him, so you'd better run. There was no point in making the T103's nastier brother something you actually want to fight with the new style created with the remake of 2. Nemesis pulling a briefcase out of his ass also looked so stupid with 2020 graphics - that's the kind of stuff games from the '90s could do because they looked less realistic.

...but this is all wishful thinking - Capcom is actually pretty pleased with RE:3, as it sold enough for the money they spent on it. It's very unlikely they'll be updating it in any way.

I actually liked the City Park location, arguably even more than the Clock Tower so they should have brought that back as well...and made it bigger! Grave Digger boss is easy with acid rounds.

Absolutely agree on the suppressor, and you should also be able to craft subsonic ammunition to make it even quieter, but a bit less powerful. With a Glock 19 which is a 9mm automatic, you can reduce the noise of the gunshot from 160db to as low as 125db with the right suppressor and ammunition. I mean it's still kinda loud but way less loud. I won't get into the details but the absolute quietest suppressed firearm is probably a bolt action .22 rifle, which you can get as low as 108db which is as close to "Hollywood quiet" as you're gonna get, but a suppressed .22 is best suited for assassins and not highly trained B.O.W. killers ;)

Agree on Mr. X, he was done ingeniously in RE2R, even better than the original, those footsteps! So yes, making a more open world city where you can give the player binoculars to help hide from Nemesis with nothing to gain from his aggro would have awesome and would have added a layer of stealth element into the game.

Last edited:

Hardware

Absolutely agree on the suppressor, and you should also be able to craft subsonic ammunition to make it even quieter, but a bit less powerful. With a Glock 19 which is a 9mm automatic, you can reduce the noise of the gunshot from 160db to as low as 125db with the right suppressor and ammunition. I mean it's still kinda loud but way less loud. I won't get into the details but the absolute quietest suppressed firearm is probably a bolt action .22 rifle, which you can get as low as 108db which is as close to "Hollywood quiet" as you're gonna get, but a suppressed .22 is best suited for assassins and not highly trained B.O.W. killers ;).
Yeah, I hadn't thought about subsonic ammo, but, considering the ammo-crafting mechanic, it would've been a nice touch...but probably too technical and realistic for the average player. I do like that in DAYMARE: 1998 you have to reload individual magazines (picking up ammo boxes isn't enough), but I have no idea how mainstream players reacted to it - same with the fast-vs-slow reloading that can make you drop the clip (I think they got that idea from MGS2 and its magazine-recycling mechanic). Also, I don't see Capcom doing that much research into how actual firearms work - Hollywood logic seems to be fine by them. Yeah, a suppressed bolt-action .22 LR is very quiet because the chamber remains locked until you eject the spent cartridge: it's the same principle behind the Beretta XM9 by Knights Armaments (the basis for MGS2's fictional tranquilizer gun), which has a locking mechanism preventing it from cycling...and it's incredibly quiet (with subsonic ammo and fresh wipes) even though it's a 9mm.

The same principle (locked chamber preventing sound from escaping) is also what makes the Russian Mosin-Nagant M1895 the only revolver that can truly be suppressed.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
There are 1,000 minor tweaks that could be made to improve the game, but here are a few of my top ones:

-Give Nemesis his tentacle form for the Clock Tower battle. Seriously, his dog beast form is a great addition, but you face him twice in the same form with very similar mechanics. Since he is BASICALLY the only boss in the game, he could have had a little more variety to his battles.
-Bring back the Gravedigger along with the entire graveyard/park location. This game needed more variety in locations and bosses and keeping the original bosses is the MINIMUM they could have done.
-Let us explore MORE of Raccoon City. I feel like this is the biggest misstep in the game. We want to see and explore more of the city we have loved for so long. They gave us a few extra forgettable sightseeing locations and they cut out so many of the great iconic locations from the series. No park, no clock tower, no newspaper office - there was just so much missing and they failed to replace them in a satisfactory way at all even if they DID cut these places.
-Let Jill go to the RPD. Carlos could have his side section in a separate area, but Jill has so many connections to the RPD. She could have had conversations with Marvin and Chiefs Irons and we could explore more of her past through her desk and memories of the place.

Ridley Lockhart

-Clock Tower location
-More open ended world (Less linear)
-New Weapons
-More crafting variety
-More enemies
-Etc.

Basically bitch slap Capcom for rushing it out the door for a quick cashgrab and focusing most of their effort on 'Village'.
I concur. Just add fixing Jill...who looks like The Quiet Man. Dafuq, and sure maybe a miniskirt and tube top isn't the most practical outfit for a zombie apocalypse but they gave her the 'Lara Croft treatment' and changed her iconic style from the OG. Now if i want to compliment it at all, i enjoyed the beginning being in her apartment in which you could see how she was living with the PTSD post Mansion Incident, dealing with Chief Irons and all that Corruption, Umbrella, etc. And i thought the UBCS members were did well. Gameplay was fine. That's about where the compliments end.

And while i can whine about it, cause technically i don't HAVE to play it. But of course im going to, and it left a fould taste in my mouth.

pa-pappys8675309

I'd say it could have been longer, more scenarios. I don't mind missing the clocktower, I remember it as a pita but I also remember being surprised and a little relieved it was the end lol. I tried to avoid walkthroughs and still do nowadays unless I'm really stuck on what to do or a puzzle is killing me, so the end is usually still a surprise and this one was too, but I didn't feel rewarded or victorious lol.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

or a puzzle is killing me,

A little bit off topic but have you played 'Remnant 2'? I gotta say, I usually manage to solve puzzles in games even if it takes me a while*, but the puzzles in this game are extremely hard and make me feel stupid, and I have an above average IQ. Luckily they are optional and are not mandatory to complete the game but yikes they really went crazy here, unless of course there is a certain stigma within the game that I overlooked and can't quite grasp that other players feel more at home at, as opposed to most RE games where I understand the context of the game completely.

*A shining example here is 'Ebola 3', the games puzzles are about at my max cognitive capacity and with time, managed to solve them all on my own, except for the very last puzzle, which I could not solve on my own due to bad localization issues (The native language in the games is Russian and the English translation wasn't the greatest). The same thing happened with RE1 1996 with the Star Crest puzzle, poor English text in the game made the puzzle confusing and it was very difficult to find the solution in the 1990's especially as a young kid with no internet.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
While I do generally like and enjoy REmake3 because it made me appreciate the story of RE3 more, I completely agree that this remake was lacking in terms of explorable locations, being too linear, and poor utilization of Nemesis.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game was the fact that you don't get to explore more of Raccoon City. Along with the lack of unique locations, there were so many moments of static where they could have dropped Nemesis in on you or caused him to locate you due to sounds made. It was weakly done for these reasons.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I thought I'd posted in this thread before; apparently I didn't which is surprising considering my wrath upon this game in the past. There are honestly so many things that are needed to fix the RE3 remake. I stand by my previous statement that the only redeeming qualities about this game are its graphics and the revamp of Carlos - everything else is bascially a sh*t show.

Here's a TINY list of some of things that I'd like to change:

Uptown extension
The beginning of the game happens way too fast and is rushed through the Uptown part, which makes the scale of Raccoon City feel small compared to the original. Consequently, Nemesis appears too early and there is no tension or build-up to his first appearance. Rather than escaping her apartment because of Nemesis, Jill should break out because of a zombie attack and make her way through the Uptown area by herself. This area should be fully explorable and feature backtracking, puzzles, zombie encounters as well as our first encounter with Brad where he, instead of acting cool, warns Jill about Nemesis and displays a great sense of fear. Together, they decide to make their way to the police station to take shelter, but are interrupted by Nemesis who makes his first appearance and kills Brad in cold blood. After choosing to flee or fight, Jill rushes to the parking garage where she meets Carlos and then make their way to the subway which connects to the downtown area.

Jill characterization
Instead of being such a snarky b*tch who displays unlikeable cockiness in the remake, Jill should be more of a hopeful character that oozes confidence through calmness. I don't get why she's so angry and easily annoyed by everything in the remake, which is a far cry from what Jill should be like. Jill is a beacon of hope that wants to help people, so most of her dialogue would have to be improved in order to make her resemble her original version. There are so many ways you can make her look strong and capable by emphasizing her knowledge and experience of zombies and the city, instead of stupid one-liners such as "I know what a radio is".

Nemesis encounters
It's been said before but there should've been more encounters with regular size Nemesis throughout the game. He switches into his mutated form too quickly and too early. Also, it's insulting that he is beatable with just a single hand grenade - Make him harder to beat and a larger looming threat all throughout his encounters.

Racoon Park and RPD switch
After the hospital level, Carlos and Jill split up in search for clues with Carlos heading for the park and Jill heading for the RPD. This way we get the park section and the Gravedigger boss while also getting more playtime as Carlos; as well as getting to play as Jill in the RPD, chased by Nemesis as things should be while also getting a chance to encounter Brad as a zombie; forcing Jill to make a very painful decision. Then, Carlos gets into trouble as he finds the Dead Factory (which should be dirty, not clean), and Jill has to come to his rescue. Then, things can play out like in the remake.

I wrote this together rather quickly without polishing the text, but it's a quick overview of my thoughts on how fix the remake.

RipvanX

The dumbing down of the ammo and weapon system alone hurts this game the most besides the cut areas.
-Less ammo powder and combination variety.
-No enhanced handgun or shotgun ammo.
-No grenade freeze rounds.
-No western custom M37 (shotgun with fancy reload animation).
-No weapon parts from Nemesis drops.
-Wasted opportunity with the ammo crafting tool being reduced to a bonus game item that doubles ammo output, instead of being required. The tool could have been expanded upon by needing upgrades to make higher quality ammo. (Even having benches throughout the game where you can perform these mechanics and see the animations, like in The Last of Us games).

The best RE games have the most replayability to them and encourage the player to go through it more and more. This is why games like RE4 and 5 are liked so much even by gamers outside the fandom.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
After a few years and multiple playthroughs, there are a few things I would choose to change.

• Scrap Resistance and make the story longer. Make it worth $70 instead of bundling two $35 games together.
    • To do this, I would like to see a Jill campaign and a separate Carlos campaign but I would honestly like them to be completely separate unlike RE and RE2. Different paths, different boss fights, different key items, etc. They could even give us a Claire/Chris Code Veronica situation, it just needs to be longer.
  • Cut many of the cutscenes.
    • That opening with Jill's apartment and nightmares is epic... On your first playthrough. Afterward, that series of cutscenes only serve to breakup the gameplay. Make it one long cutscene if you want, but don't split up the gameplay.
    • All those short, skippable cutscenes on the way to the rooftop to fight flamethrower Nemesis, run from rocket launcher Nemesis and before the dog Nemesis fight need to go. Every playthrough after your first feels like you're watching an interactive movie instead of playing a video game.
And honestly those are my biggest gripes with RE3R.

Turo602

The King of Kings
  • That opening with Jill's apartment and nightmares is epic... On your first playthrough. Afterward, that series of cutscenes only serve to breakup the gameplay. Make it one long cutscene if you want, but don't split up the gameplay.
  • All those short, skippable cutscenes on the way to the rooftop to fight flamethrower Nemesis, run from rocket launcher Nemesis and before the dog Nemesis fight need to go. Every playthrough after your first feels like you're watching an interactive movie instead of playing a video game.
Cut content and the way Nemesis was handled aside, I think this was definitely one of my biggest gripes with the game as is. I had a feeling it would be an issue from the start, but during 7 back to back playthroughs, it certainly got tiring. I remember I even compared the game to RE6 because of how overly "cinematic" it was and for such a short game, it just feels like padding.

It's a stark contrast to the RE2 and RE4 remake intros that felt deliberately cut down to make for a smoother replay experience, which I initially took issue with in RE2's case since the opening of the game was so iconic in the original, but I do understand the decision from a design perspective.

However, I think the most offensive thing in RE3's intro is just how stupid they made Nemesis who despite pulling a kool-aid man through Jill's apartment is completely defeated by a door moments later. Then he catches Jill and proceeds to throw her for absolutely no reason but to continue the chase sequence and for some reason, grabs part of ceiling to chase her with despite it slowing him down. The whole thing just comes off really idiotic and has the opposite effect they were going for.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I feel like they tried to get away from Nemesis actually chasing you, most of that happens in cutscenes or he just shows up to a boss fight.

I think they might have done that due to the increased role of Mr. X in the RE2R. Perhaps they didn't want this experience to feel too samey. It's a bit disappointing though, especially since the decision to limit the player's encounters with Nemesis makes a short game even shorter because now most of that isn't actually playable.

And yeah, I enjoyed the look into what's been going on with Jill since Arklay but it was too much. The original intro was too little, in my opinion. Just a voiceover of a diary entry and Jill being blown out into the street, but the remake went too far to compensate. It honestly should've been one cutscene.

I sincerely hope they don't do that with Code Veronica if they ever decide to remake it. It's one of the more narrative heavy titles, but I don't want a crap ton of unnecessary mini scenes. Give me a few cutscenes here and there, but please let me play the game.

I honestly think I could forgive them slighting RE3R's story in favor of Resistance if they hadn't made it an interactive movie.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Can you imagine Nemesis in the original RE3 grabbing Brad Vickers outside the RPD, only to throw him away like a dumb idiot?

Yeah, that's just the start of problems when it comes to remake Nemesis. Overly cinematic intro aside, the intro would've been more acceptable if Nemesis didn't actually get his hands on Jill as well as not being blocked by a freaking wooden door.

I also think it's a bit of an overkill to have Nemesis burst through concrete walls over and over gain, because it destroys all suspension of disbelief once you realize his huge powers mean absolutely nothing up close. In the original game, Nemesis bursted through glass windows instead which is much more believable thing, as well as scarier.

Top Bottom