• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) how should a resident evil 2 remake be?

wayne

I kind of have a cool idea i dont know if anyone will like it though but....

Instead of starting resident evil 2 with leon and claire coming into raccoon city, what if it started with the survivours of the mansion incident coming back and trying to expose umbrella because of what theyve done?

We all know this happens because cheif iron basically dismisses anything they say due to his relationship with umbrella and then they obviously leave to go to umbrella head qt apart from jill.

I dont know what you guys think but i think it would be a good idea if they did it right since then we would see chris, jill, barry and rebecca.

Then it would obviously cut to 2 months later when leon and claire arrive in raccoon city.

EsmeBush

It would be kind of cool to see what actually went down in Umbrella HQ (was it in Paris?)

If they changed anything from the story it should be Leon's arrival, it never made sense to me that he was unaware of what was happening in Raccoon City and he just drives in (dressed in his uniform?) it makes sense for Claire (she is looking for Chris and deliberately broke through the military lines into the city) but it would make more sense if Leon arrived a few days before things went crazy and he meets Claire while looking for survivors...

BadWolf

All About Video Game Challenges
Upgrade graphics, added locations that actually matter (like in Remaster/Remake), change of dialog where needed, maybe a new option (like daggers) etc. Am I only one who would like to see RE2 and 3 Remakes in one game? To putt definitive timeline and stuff like that, I know chances for that are VERY small because they will ofc. chose to sell two games instead of one.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
Enhance The Graphics. Enhance The Graphics. Enhance The Graphics.
That is all, Just, Enhance The Graphics. You can't perfect perfection, just Enhance The Damn Graphics.

I've never played RE2 or RE3 all the way through, so If CAPCOM remade those and they enhanced the graphics in the same sort of style as the RE1 and RE0 Remakes then I will be super impressed. That's a automatic purchase for me. Essential Gaming. Something that can't be missed. That's a lot of work though. I'm surprised CAPCOM are remaking RE2.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I think they should allow players to choose for themselves...Not everyone wants to play classic fixed camera angles, they should let us choose if we want to play third person over shoulder or classic fixed camera angles

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
I think they should allow players to choose for themselves...Not everyone wants to play classic fixed camera angles, they should let us choose if we want to play third person over shoulder or classic fixed camera angles
Good idea but it probably won't happen because of developement difficulties(fixed cameras need pre-rendered backgrounds while over the shoulder cameras needs fully polygonal environments).

T.A.L.O.S

Gym, Resident Evil, Sleep & Repeat
At first i dreamed and wished for a Resident Evil 2 remake as its my favourite res game. But then i thought, why try edit a masterpiece, why try to fix something that isn't broken. The game is one of a kind and should stay that way, timeless and unique, not revamped and mainstream. I'm scared that it will be an absolute disaster and get a bad name for it

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Good idea but it probably won't happen because of developement difficulties(fixed cameras need pre-rendered backgrounds while over the shoulder cameras needs fully polygonal environments).

Code Veronica is proof that fixed camera can work just fine with full 3.D /polygonal graphics, it does not have to be pre-rendered at all.

And its very possible to make it optional between over the shoulder and fixed camera given RE5 Lost in Nightmares managed to pull it off just fine granted it was not a full entire game.

wolf trail

Code Veronica is proof that fixed camera can work just fine with full 3.D /polygonal graphics, it does not have to be pre-rendered at all.

And its very possible to make it optional between over the shoulder and fixed camera given RE5 Lost in Nightmares managed to pull it off just fine granted it was not a full entire game.
I knew someone would say that but ok,
There are two points here that make it unpractical:
One, pre-rendered scenes are just more pretty to look at and achieving levels of graphic quality that high with 3d environments is problematic due to performance issues on current generation consoles.
Two, including such an option is like including an option that turns a survival horror game into a shooter game which completely alters the gameplay IMO.
(Imagine an option that allows the player to play Gears of War with fixed cameras)...

wolf trail

At first i dreamed and wished for a Resident Evil 2 remake as its my favourite res game. But then i thought, why try edit a masterpiece, why try to fix something that isn't broken. The game is one of a kind and should stay that way, timeless and unique, not revamped and mainstream. I'm scared that it will be an absolute disaster and get a bad name for it
Haha don't worry as long as Capcom gives it the same treatment they gave to REmaster it should be fine,
BTW there is always the original to go back to... :)

T.A.L.O.S

Gym, Resident Evil, Sleep & Repeat
Haha don't worry as long as Capcom gives it the same treatment they gave to REmaster it should be fine,
BTW there is always the original to go back to... :)

Oh yeah! Duh. I completely forgot about the resident evil 1 remaster. Which in my opinion was better than the PS1 original. Yeah i wouldn't mind that at all! I kept imagining the concept of them transforming it into a action movie like 5 & 6

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I knew someone would say that but ok,
There are two points here that make it unpractical:
One, pre-rendered scenes are just more pretty to look at and achieving levels of graphic quality that high with 3d environments is problematic due to performance issues on current generation consoles.
Two, including such an option is like including an option that turns a survival horror game into a shooter game which completely alters the gameplay IMO.
(Imagine an option that allows the player to play Gears of War with fixed cameras)...

Doesn't matter how you slice it I'm just showing proof that the series has done it before which makes it not out of the realm of possibility by any means no matter how you try to slice it.

And I disagree with your comparison about turning a survival horror game into a shooter, there are plenty of great survival horror games WITHOUT fixed camera like The Evil Within and Dead Space and plenty of great action games WITH fixed camera like the earlier entries of the Yakuza series,Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and even the original DMC game which was a action adventure game at heart that used fixed cameras.

You can't simply make one exclusive to a genre just because it suits your view dude.

And I think Code Veronica looked pretty great with 3.D polygonal graphics and fixed camera, it turned out great but I get the feeling Capcom went pre-rendered with remake and 0 out of convenience really.

And what performance issues are you talking about that would possibly cause a problem by having 3.D polygonal graphics on today's generation of consoles?

wolf trail

Doesn't matter how you slice it I'm just showing proof that the series has done it before which makes it not out of the realm of possibility by any means no matter how you try to slice it.

And I disagree with your comparison about turning a survival horror game into a shooter, there are plenty of great survival horror games WITHOUT fixed camera like The Evil Within and Dead Space and plenty of great action games WITH fixed camera like the earlier entries of the Yakuza series,Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and even the original DMC game which was a action adventure game at heart that used fixed cameras.

You can't simply make one exclusive to a genre just because it suits your view dude.

And I think Code Veronica looked pretty great with 3.D polygonal graphics and fixed camera, it turned out great but I get the feeling Capcom went pre-rendered with remake and 0 out of convenience really.

And what performance issues are you talking about that would possibly cause a problem by having 3.D polygonal graphics on today's generation of consoles?
Hey dude I'm not trying to dominate my opinion but its just the way I see it...
Of course it's not impossible to make a good survival horror game with over the shoulder cam but having it along side with the fixed cam seems problematic.

What you suggest is fun to play but it's like making two different games,
Do you really think a game with fixed cameras should have the same enemy AI as an Over the shoulder camera type of game?

You really think Capcom used pre-rendered scenes in remake for nothing?

It would cause performance issus to use polygonal environments for that game, considering the graphical quality of the game (this is the reason they used pre rendered scenes in the original RE1 ,2 and 3 because Ps1 couldn't cary the weight).
Can you compare CV graphics with REmake?

All I'm saying is that different camera positions mean different game mechanics, which means we need two different types of the same enemies and thats basically two games not a single game with an option to just simply change the camera.

Is it ok to fight the same dum and slow zombies while you have a great view of the environment in front of you and have many advantages such as landing headshots whenever you want?

And again no hard feelings please ;)

ToCool74

Veteran Member
What you suggest is fun to play but it's like making two different games,
Do you really think a game with fixed cameras should have the same enemy AI as an Over the shoulder camera type of game?

)

Have you played Resident Evil 5 Lost in Nightmares?

That game managed to pull of the switch between over the shoulder and fixed camera just fine, that is the thing dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight but I keep pointing out past instances where Capcom has pulled this off and yet you still set here and make it seems like this kind of thing is foreign and unlikely to be pulled off by Capcom.

And the limitations that plagued the console generation of the older titles with the PS1,N64,Gamecube, or Dreamcast hardly plague today's consoles given the leaps and bounds gaming has taken since those days.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi

That game managed to pull of the switch between over the shoulder and fixed camera just fine, that is the thing dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight but I keep pointing out past instances where Capcom has pulled this off and yet you still set here and make it seems like this kind of thing is foreign and unlikely to be pulled off by Capcom.

And the limitations that plagued the console generation of the older titles with the PS1,N64,Gamecube, or Dreamcast hardly plague today's consoles given the leaps and bounds gaming has taken since those days.

What?! I've beaten that game about 5 times now and I've NEVER knew about this.... was it a selectable option in the pause menu? Because I've never knew about this and Capcom never mentioned it in any releases that I've seen.... are you sure this isn't a mod?

wolf trail

No I have not played it but I have seen gameplay fotage on youtube and all I see is poor controls with no auto aim functionality.
Now don't get me wrong the dlc looks pretty fun but I'm talking about the fixed camera gameplay.
Sure Capcom pulled it off but I'm not happy with the result...
It has the same aiming system, they just changed the camera ...
can you imagin free aim functionality in a fixed camera prespective? It's a disaster...
If they change the camera they should chang the aiming mechanics and then to balance everything out they need to change enemy AI which will lead to two different game mechanics...
If Capcom is going to include that then I would apritiate it too but I still think it's unlikely.

I agree, new consoles are pretty powerful but they still can't handle CG movie quality,
Does a ps3 handle a game with RE damnation's quality? No, no matter how powerful the console is pre-rendered graphics are always better looking.

wolf trail

What?! I've beaten that game about 5 times now and I've NEVER knew about this.... was it a selectable option in the pause menu? Because I've never knew about this and Capcom never mentioned it in any releases that I've seen.... are you sure this isn't a mod?
It isn't a mod you just need to check the main door in the hall where you start the game three times to activate it, it's an easter egg ;)

ToCool74

Veteran Member
No I have not played it but I have seen gameplay fotage on youtube and all I see is poor controls with no auto aim functionality.

I've actually played it and despite the lack of auto aim it still functions just fine.

Ideally it would be great to have a auto aim but its not that much of a deal breaker, in fact NOT having a auto aim may make the survival horror experience better.

But my over all point still stands, lack of auto aim aside the fact is that Capcom has shown that they are capable of having both in one game, whether or not its 100% to everyone's liking is besides the point.

But if it would make fans happy I'm pretty sure adding a auto aim would not be that much of a hassle, they probably only neglected this with RE5 lost in nightmares because its a over the shoulder game at heart with a added fixed camera option for nostalgia.

And I have seen plenty of gorgeous games run on current gen consoles at 1080p 60fps such as Tomb Raider that looks fantastic, pre-rendered does not reign as supreme as you make it seem.

Top Bottom