• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) how should a resident evil 2 remake be?

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
Well after the big success of resident evil HD remastered its really easy to get an RE2 remake but how should it be?
adding extra content or just recreating the same game with enhanced graphics?
using the assets from resident evil DC or recreate the assets?
pre rendered scenes or polygonal?
tank controls or alternate controls?

i myself would like to see some new content with respect to the original game, tank controls are ok but for modern gamers alternate controls should be better, i think capcom should not take the easy rout; they should recreate the assets with HD graphics, and i like to see pre rendered scenes too.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Camera: Fixed angles and over-the-shoulder. Maybe give us an option to switch angles like some DVDs.
Controls: Tank controls mapped to the D-Pad, Full 3D mapped to the left thumbstick.

I'd also want to see a complete HD remake, but more likely, they'll use assets from Darkside Chronicles with slightly modified textures.

wolf trail

Camera: Fixed angles and over-the-shoulder. Maybe give us an option to switch angles like some DVDs.
Controls: Tank controls mapped to the D-Pad, Full 3D mapped to the left thumbstick.

I'd also want to see a complete HD remake, but more likely, they'll use assets from Darkside Chronicles with slightly modified textures.
nice idea but doesn't it seem a little unpractical to have both fixed cameras and over shoulder camera together?
fixed camera requires auto aim functionalities while over shoulder camera doesn't,
the game would look much better with pre rendered scenes, but over shoulder cameras require fully polygonal scenes.

shadowman912

I'd like them to switch to over the shoulder, but have certain rooms nod to the old corner cams. Like on the sub in 6 escaping as Ada.
Some partner gameplay wouldn't be bad. Solo mostly, but Claire and Leon together in the PD. Leon and Ada together for segments. But she leaves you on you're own when she adventures off to complete mission objectives. Sherry with Claire until their seperated and Sherry gets infected/impregnated. Solo play gives you more suspense, the partner segments and cutscenes give you storyline and character dev.
An Ada mini campaign of her insertion into the city and own solo segments leading up to the Leon kiss, sense we have her escape afterwards. Maybe a cannon one of Hunk assaulting Birkins Lab and his escape. Or maybe some time as Annete.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I'd like them to switch to over the shoulder, but have certain rooms nod to the old corner cams. Like on the sub in 6 escaping as Ada.
Some partner gameplay wouldn't be bad. Solo mostly, but Jill and Leon together in the PD. Leon and Ada together for segments. But she leaves you on you're own when she adventures off to complete mission objectives. Sherry with Claire until their seperated and Sherry gets infected/impregnated. Solo play gives you more suspense, the partner segments and cutscenes give you storyline and character dev.
An Ada mini campaign of her insertion into the city and own solo segments leading up to the Leon kiss, sense we have her escape afterwards. Maybe a cannon one of Hunk assaulting Birkins Lab and his escape. Or maybe some time as Annete.

Jill? How? Why?
Wasn't Jill unconscious/infected with a virus during the events of RE2?

shadowman912

Jill? How? Why?
Wasn't Jill unconscious/infected with a virus during the events of RE2?
Oops, typo. Lol, meant Claire. Responding to multiple forums at once :p I'll edit that.

But now that you mention it, I'm not sure if her time being unconscious is during 2 or not. If not, adding a run in to the game wouldn't hurt. They're both some of the last RPD alive in the city.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
But now that you mention it, I'm not sure if her time being unconscious is during 2 or not. If not, adding a run in to the game wouldn't hurt. They're both some of the last RPD alive in the city.

RE 2 happened while Jill was unconcious. Leon and Claire weren't in Raccoon City yet in the first half of 3 and they'd already left in the second half.

black 93

They should just do it in the same way as RE1. Keep everything that made the original so great, but just up the ante. Make the enemies harder, ( paticularly the lickers) keep the same iconic music, atmosphere and control scheme, make new areas, new bosses, new story elements just like they did with the trevors in REmake. Most importantly though, keep the original in mind at all times. Dont try to revamp or revision anything, and sorry capcom we bought the whole "it dosent sell" thing a few years ago, but given the success of the revelations games and RE1 remaster and the fact that everybodys hyped for RE0, you have no excuse anymore. I hate the mindset of these devs, their so apprehensive about doing anything unless its guarenteed to make them millions. Would an RE2 remake be as succesfull as RE5? maybe not, but it would sure as hell be successfull enough for capcom to make a profit.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Honestly, it should just receive the REmake treatment and be on par with the remasters in terms of tweaks and options. There's really no need to update the game to modern Resident Evil standards because this isn't a game for the wider audience. It should be made to appease the old school fans who have been asking for this game since the original remake first released. That means keeping the fixed camera angles, pre-rendering the backgrounds, rewriting, rerecording, re-scoring, and reanimating all dialogue, voice work, music, and cutscenes, maybe even add or change areas and puzzles, and of course, adding the 180 degree turn. Oh, and crimson heads. They could be a staple to the remakes. That's pretty much all a RE2 remake needs. I don't think the game really needs to have new content or story as it already has a ton more replay value than the original. That is, unless they want to go back and add new details that will be relevant in future titles.

Last edited:

IntoxNitram

1080p 60 fps on consoles I hope.
That is pretty much my only request. I just want it to happen. Couldn't really care about much else as long as I can play it on my PS4, with some updated graphics, good resolution and frame rate and alternate controls. Don't touch anything else if it reduces the likelihood that we will get it.

Mattyice26

They should just do it in the same way as RE1. Keep everything that made the original so great, but just up the ante. Make the enemies harder, ( paticularly the lickers) keep the same iconic music, atmosphere and control scheme, make new areas, new bosses, new story elements just like they did with the trevors in REmake. Most importantly though, keep the original in mind at all times. Dont try to revamp or revision anything, and sorry capcom we bought the whole "it dosent sell" thing a few years ago, but given the success of the revelations games and RE1 remaster and the fact that everybodys hyped for RE0, you have no excuse anymore. I hate the mindset of these devs, their so apprehensive about doing anything unless its guarenteed to make them millions. Would an RE2 remake be as succesfull as RE5? maybe not, but it would sure as hell be successfull enough for capcom to make a profit.
Totally agree with u

Mattyice26

Dont mess with the storyline. Keep the difficulty survival aspect. Scarce ammo health. Outnumbered by enemies. I want to be scared again when I play resident evil. Almost helpless. And tons of unlockables would be great lol.

wolf trail

It should be done like this and it is !!! now its free an awesome looking !!!! i am sure Capcom will shut this down soon though.. :(
http://www.mytechbits.com/fan-made-resident-evil-2-reborn-will-be-available-soon-for-free/9812668/
That IS a nice game but it does not give me the feeling i am looking for, i do not know but there is something with fan remakes that i don't like.....
I don't think it is perfectly playable, and it has some big technical problem such as performance on older machines(i don't own a gaming pc).
i think over the shoulder cameras kill any sense of nostalgia and they tried to make the game more shady than necessary.
but as someone who attempted to remake RE2 i know how hard it is so they did a good job ....

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Honestly, I don't really want a RE2 REmake unless they can get Kamiya and/or Mikami on board. Short of that, I'd really rather Capcom just continue with new new RE stuff.

Top Bottom