• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

'Happy' Memorial Day?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
So... I was working today, and we had an unusually high number of American guests checking out - I imagine it was for the long weekend. My manager told me to wish the guests a 'Happy Memorial Day', to which I told him I'd rather not, mainly because I feel a bit uncomfortable associating the meaning of Memorial Day with cheer or merriness or any sort of jolly emotion. It's the same for Remembrance Day in Canada... I understand it's meant as a way to say 'enjoy your day off', but why do people do this? What do you think of it?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I actually agree with saying "Happy Memorial Day"..Not because it's a joyous occasion, but because we should take pride in the fact that so many were willing to fight and die for their brothers and sisters...

On a side note: I personally don't believe in be sorrowful about death...I believe in being joyful about life... When I die, no one is to be sad at my funeral...It's to be a celebration of my life, and anybody that's sad can leave..It may sound harsh, but sadness is a disease, one that has a simple cure...Laughter and smiling faces...And that's what I whole heartedly believe in, so not a single person is to be sad at my send off into whatever is beyond deaths door...In a lot of ways Memorial Day is the same...We should remember the greatness, not the sorrow...And we should be proud, and even happy, about the good that happened...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Well, I'm not trying to say anyone shouldn't take pride in that... that I understand 100% and being prideful of that and remembering those sacrifices is what this day is supposed to be about - but taking pride in something and being happy about it are two very different things. I suppose I feel like wishing someone a 'happy' memorial day is actually trivializing or commercializing the day somewhat. I mean, I wouldn't wish someone a festive 9/11 anniversary... but then again, I'm not well-versed on American customs around this holiday.

I wonder how veterans actually feel about this. It doesn't really matter what I think in this regard.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well, I'm not trying to say anyone shouldn't take pride in that... that I understand 100% and being prideful of that and remembering those sacrifices is what this day is supposed to be about - but taking pride in something and being happy about it are two very different things. I suppose I feel like wishing someone a 'happy' memorial day is actually trivializing or commercializing the day somewhat. I mean, I wouldn't wish someone a festive 9/11 anniversary... but then again, I'm not well-versed on American customs around this holiday.

I wonder how veterans actually feel about this. It doesn't really matter what I think in this regard.

We are saying happy memorial day because it's because of those soldiers that have kept us free to enjoy such a beautiful day...I mean, We should be happy because we have people who care enough to lay down their lives for us, and we more or less owe it to them to be happy...That's what they fought for...Our freedom, which should make us happy...

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
You also have to think about it in a way that's not only saying thank you to those who have died, but also to those who currently serve and have served. Most Americans look at Memorial Day like they do Veteran's Day; saying thank you to those who currently defend and have defended our freedom. It's both a joyous and sad holiday.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You also have to think about it in a way that's not only saying thank you to those who have died, but also to those who currently serve and have served. Most Americans look at Memorial Day like they do Veteran's Day; saying thank you to those who currently defend and have defended our freedom. It's both a joyous and sad holiday.
I used to look at it that way, but my grandpa, the veteran I thanked, said that today should remember those lost, that there would be other times to remember to thank him...I'm not saying you're wrong...At all...I'm just saying what I've been told...

The_Green_King

why cant death be happy? my granmpas sitting in a nursing home right now a vegetable with alzheimers and i hate to say it, but i welcome his passing. sometimes death is better than the pain one must endure on this plane of existence.

and yes, EVERY veteran deserves to be thanked and remembered. im not really a "pro war" guy, but anyone who is willing to risk their life for my rights and safety is a true hero. i almost feel bad sometimes because i KNOW i couldnt do that myself and because of that veterans have my eternal respect.

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Stick with the timeless classic that'll have your American Guests march out of your hotel with chests puffed and pride bursting when you say with a big smile.... '' GOD BLESSSSS AMERICA! ''

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
For everyone who's confused about the meaning, here's everything you need to know about Memorial Day. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

You don't exactly "celebrate" it IMO. You remember everyone who's fought and died for the country, you also take pride in it. Some people have cook-outs, because I mean... A lot of Americans like an excuse to get drunk and whatnot, but yesterday I didn't really do anything at all for it. I just spent time with my family and my mother reminisced about her father who was in the Marines.

sadistic_greyfox

Significant days lose their meaning when turned into holidays. Reason why our government didn't turn 9/11 into a day off for everyone. Folks will be bar b q'in, drinking, having a good time instead of remembering those who were lost.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
To me it doesn't feel right to say "happy memorial day", for the same reason as Femme. I don't see anything merry about deaths, and soldiers are not old people with Alzheimer's waiting to die. But I also understand KennedyKiller's reasoning for using the word "happy".

But once a year we do celebrate the death of Jesus. I know that's special but still...

When we are used to say something strange, we don't think of it as strange even if it really is.

The_Green_King

Significant days lose their meaning when turned into holidays. Reason why our government didn't turn 9/11 into a day off for everyone. Folks will be bar b q'in, drinking, having a good time instead of remembering those who were lost.
not always. i think it takes a few generations for a holiday to "loose its meaning" per se. take the 4th of july for example. its a big holiday, but it doesnt mean as much to our generation as it did the founding fathers because we grew up already free, while they had to earn it.

on the flip side though, why shouldnt people be able to bbq, drink, and have fun on days like 9/11? sure, it was a terrible tragedy, but if all we do is mourn then the son of a bitch terrorists win every time. its just my opinion, but i think one should celebrate the life that was lived, not forever mourn the life that was lost.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I don't think we have a similar day here, so I don't know what people feel during that 'celebration' (?), but I guess you could just say "have a good memorial day" or something like that...
I agree that death doesn't necessarily have to be something sorrowful, after all, I'd say those people died so you could be 'happy' and live a good life now.

Hoady

We have ANZAC day here. Same deal but no one says happy Anzac day, the association of it has a serious or respectful tone. Generally the only mention of it is when people are talking about the soldiers themselves or some association of making them proud.

I'm guessing happy means, someone else died for you yesterday so you could be alive today so be grateful and don't forget it.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
I've never been a huge fan of wishing people 'happy' Memorial Day. It's great to see the armed forces being saluted for their valued service (I'm all for it, Hell, here in Britain I don't think they're supported enough!), but I see "Memorial" to be that; a day to remember those who fell in battle. Those who are alive today (amputees, veterans...) should see it as their own day to remember friends or family that perished in war, as well as appreciating the fact there are some who come home.
Again, I see it as a day of remembrance, much like each anniversary of 9/11. That's just me, though!

Top Bottom