• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

George A. Romero's other Resident Evil scripts still exist!

Ark2000

Most of the fans know all about Romero's first draft of his rejected Resident Evil script from October of 1998. But not everyone know that he wrote more drafts. He said in Fangoria interview from 2002 how he did "five or six" drafts before he left the project.

Over the years, very little information has leaked out about any differences and changes he made in other drafts. Couple things which were rumored is how he changed Chris back to be a STARS member instead of native American farmer like in first draft, and cut the number of monsters down. I also read an old comment from someone who read his final draft, which he said was dated "mid 1999", and also said how it was much better than first one.

After Romero's death, there was some talk about possibility that amongst all the scripts he had there were more drafts of his Resident Evil script. I couldn't find anything more about this, but today i did found this;

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/745771

In early 2019, the University of Pittsburgh's University Library System acquired the George A. Romero Archival Collection from three separate sources: his widow, Suzanne Desrocher-Romero; his daughter, Tina Romero; and his business partner, Peter Grunwald. The collection is currently being processed and prepared for scholarly and public use. It holds various press and production items from Romero's seventeen feature-length films and scripts for many unproduced projects, as well as personal possessions and memorabilia—posters of films seen in his youth, personal and production photographs, comic books, and props from his films. Other materials include correspondence with artists and producers, artwork, shooting schedules, and ample audio-visual materials. One highlight on display at Hillman Library for the archive launch celebration on October 23rd was Ella, the monkey prop from Monkey Shines (1988).

Perhaps the most intriguing items for researchers are the dozens of unproduced film and television screenplays, as well as the shooting and production scripts for Romero's finished films, many annotated with his handwritten notes. The collection holds several drafts of Romero's Resident Evil script adaptation, a project that many fans knew he worked on for many years but that was never realized. This unproduced project, and many others in the collection, shed light on Romero's drafting process and will allow researchers to see how his work evolved over the years of his career.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone else is interested in finding anything more about Romero's scripts and ones from all the other writers who worked on the film between 1997 - 2000 before Paul W.S. Anderson's involvement. Wish there was something similar to confirm that those still exist too. I hope that somehow one day at least Romero's drafts will be available for RE fans to read and see how different those are from first one.

Bran

Independent Film Director
I have been in constant communication with the University and will be heading there once the pandemic is over and their work is completed.

Bran

Oh, I should add that I spoke with the Archive rep and he confirmed that multiple drafts exist. When I go, I have to sign some disclaimer forms (NDA type legal paperwork) and I will be allowed to read the screenplays while being monitored in a reading room.

There is about 8 weeks of work left for Romero's work to be archived. The University received about 70 boxes of his personal effects. They did disclaim that anything dealing with the RE scripts is a touchy subject, as Romero himself was quite upset that the first draft leaked years ago.

I am currently working through the University with Mrs. Romero on what can and cannot be released to public. I understand that everyone might get excited about knowing what his final draft is. I will be researching all his drafts and compiling notes, not just as an RE fan but also because I am a George A. Romero fan.

As I do not want to ruin additional trips in the future or ruin any future connections, I will only be releasing information approved by Mrs. Romero once all the discussions are finalized.

It will probably be early autumn when the archive is finished and I have access.

Ark2000

Those are very good news Bran, thank you so much for helping rest of us fans! I would be happy with just reading notes or synopsis of all the other drafts and find out more about all the differences between each draft, so it's good to know that there is a chance that this could happen. Wish you tons of luck with your work!

Bran

Those are very good news Bran, thank you so much for helping rest of us fans! I would be happy with just reading notes or synopsis of all the other drafts and find out more about all the differences between each draft, so it's good to know that there is a chance that this could happen. Wish you tons of luck with your work!

No problem. This will definitely be happening. The pandemic put the University's work to halt. They should be soon getting cleared to go back to work in the coming weeks I assume, but it is locked in that I will be going. I will gather all information I can for everyone, but like I said, can only release what I am told I can release. I am hoping to do just that: have a synopsis of the final draft, with notes between the versions. I also want to do a breakdown of the script's themes, social commentary, and any other related information I can.

Hardware

Just as an update, the Archive is still not open to the public, but they are hoping to get me on site maybe next month at the latest. I have been speaking with Suzanne Romero (George's widow) and she has been very supportive of me doing all this research. It was very pleasant to chat with her over the phone. I am planning to compile the largest amount of information available on Romero's project, and Suzanne has given me her blessings. All of this I will be preparing for release with the 25th anniversary of Resident Evil in March (provided there are no major setbacks).

Hi: one of the reasons I joined this message board is this very post. Do you have any updates on the scripts by any chance?

Hardware

No, unfortunately. Everything was shut down, no access allowed. I've been in constant communication with people, and the hope is that with the vaccine rolling out, that conditions will change and allow me access.

It is a shame, since I have the Romero Foundation's blessings, the documentary script is complete (minus the sections on the new drafts I have to read) and all other research is done.

I just struck a deal with a production company and now have 25% control of said company. So, I have a script, a company, a production team, and all needed equipment and resources...

... just need to wait for conditions to change.
I see...that was what I was afraid of. The pandemic is putting a strain on pretty much anything.

Bran

While I don't update my project much, I received additional information on Romero drafts but nothing specific.

I am, however, getting access to another holy grail soon...

The Alan B. McElroy draft.

justliketheplant

OH MY GOD. This all sounds so fantastic. My fascination with Romero's zombie movies overlapped with my fascination with Resident Evil as a kid and I am just so excited to hear anything that comes out of this.

Ark2000

While I don't update my project much, I received additional information on Romero drafts but nothing specific.

HOLY ****ING ****! Congratulations Bran! Guys from WeWatchedAMovie did an interview with McElroy couple weeks back and they said said how they will ask him about his RE script in next one they'll do with him, and then sometime later Resident Evil Wiki posted this;

What the hell man, how did we get so lucky with this all of a sudden :D

Hardware

...man, you have to be careful with dropping bombs like this: you could give me a heart attack!!! The McElroy draft is probably even more legendary than Romero's, as it was the very first attempt at adapting the game.

Hardware

HOLY ****ING ****! Congratulations Bran! Guys from WeWatchedAMovie did an interview with McElroy couple weeks back and they said said how they will ask him about his RE script in next one they'll do with him, and then sometime later Resident Evil Wiki posted this;

What the hell man, how did we get so lucky with this all of a sudden :D
Yeah, I remember that article from PSM from back in the day...not too long afterwards, all sorts of crazy rumors started to circulate about casting: some of them so far-fetched even the naive teenager I used to be didn't believe them. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger playing Albert Wesker (at that time, he was one of the most expensive actors in the world - he briefly became THE most expensive one in 2003 with T3 and his 30 million dollars paycheck).

Ark2000

I heard many rumors about McElroy's script as well, ever since i started looking for it and any info about it. But what's even more interesting is discovering how there were more rejected scripts by other writers. Some of that i heard thanks to years long fans like Bran, or during my own research. Last year Jamie Blanks talked little bit in a podcast about almost directing the film adaptation on RE and how he had Cormac and Marianne Wibberley working on the script. Any news like these is always great to hear for fans, i mean let me tell you, i already told some other people about McElroy's script finally surfacing somewhere, and their reactions were shocking, to say the least, lol!

Btw, i have a thread about McElroy's script, it includes some more info i found over time;

Last edited:

Ark2000

I think that was how i first heard there were more RE scripts besides Romero's, and it's how i eventually found and joined this site. Wish you lot of luck with your project Bran, i still remember your Youtube videos and how good job you did with those, so this is something i sure am looking forward to. And man, it sucked when your videos went away, i really hoped more fans would see them and discover more info about RE films and those early scripts. One of the RE fans recently did this video which reminded me on yours;

I can't wait to read McElroy's script, and hear more about Romero's other drafts. Hopefully Bran, if we're lucky, thanks to you we will not only find out something more but maybe even confirm or put some rumors to rest. As much as the RE live action films are bad, i think we do deserve some kind of documentary about history of the movie franchise and development of first film. I wouldn't even mind seeing something about sequels as well, i heard how original scripts for (at least) Apocalypse and Extinction were much different from what ended up onscreen.

Last edited:

Bran

I think that was how i first heard there were more RE scripts besides Romero's, and it's how i eventually found and joined this site. Wish you lot of luck with your project Bran, i still remember your Youtube videos and how good job you did with those, so this is something i sure am looking forward to. And man, it sucked when your videos went away, i really hoped more fans would see them and discover more info about RE films and those early scripts. One of the RE fans recently did this video which reminded me on yours;

I can't wait to read McElroy's script, and hear more about Romero's other drafts. Hopefully Bran, if we're lucky, thanks to you we will not only find out something more but maybe even confirm or put some rumors to rest. As much as the RE live action films are bad, i think we do deserve some kind of documentary about history of the movie franchise and development of first film. I wouldn't even mind seeing something about sequels as well, i heard how original scripts for (at least) Apocalypse and Extinction were much different from what ended up onscreen.

Yeah, I'm good on my word for sharing information once I have it. While I'll be keeping the McElroy and Romero drafts information until my documentary is finished (which will go into heavy detail with each draft) I will be sharing some tidbits.

The documentary should be enough to get RE fans salivating.

Just need everything to open up soon and my research begins.

Ark2000

I'm sure that Romero did indeed wrote more drafts, just based on what i heard from other sources. As for those couple drafts which are still listed as 1st one, well that could mean few different things. Those could be just some minor polish Romero did on dialogue or some other scenes, which is nothing unusual when it comes to the scripts. Not to go into too much screenwriting details here, but sometimes writers don't even list some minor work they did with the script on the cover, specially if it was done in short time between writing the original draft and then "fixing it up". Sometimes it can get confusing if the so-called "new draft" still has the same date, but different format, cover page, etc. To give you an example, i have couple drafts of one script which are listed as same draft but like i said, each is in different format and i swear there's only like couple lines of dialogue which are different between the two. I don't wanna guess did Romero also did some other work on the script between the drafts, like revisions or re-writes, because there's already way too little info about his other RE script drafts. But i'm sure that he did worked on it more than what people think, since i think he left the production few months after writing his 1st draft.

Ark2000

Good news Bran! Would love to see this get even bigger, and who knows, maybe it will get lot of attention. Of course, i'm not expecting something like "Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau" or "The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened", but i know this will still be something which lot of people will love to see, and hear more about background of entire cancelled film. Too bad Romero is no longer with us, i can only imagine how great it would be to hear in full details his side of the story. Personally i would have liked to ask him about his decisions to change some parts of the story like characters (Chris as a Mohawk) and creatures (making Hunters into half-cybernetic monsters).

Bran

While I cannot give specifics, the project is in full pre-production, and you will see a full public announcement around the beginning of the year. I think a lot of people are going to be pleased.

Top Bottom