• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 For all those that hate Ashley....

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Man, the people in general that hate on Ashley because she's annoying, they must have really thin skin.
The only time I hated Ashley was my first ever playthrough on the GameCube and that's because I sucked.

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
I thought she was a pain in the ass at first, but then I played games like Dead Rising and Ashley is a god damn self aware AI in comparison. It's hard to shoot her by accident, she doesn't get stuck on stuff, and best of all, you can hide her in the dumpsters most of the time. The only bad thing is that she gets grabbed and carried so you might accidentally shoot her.

The worst design in the game is when you have to shoot her out of the 3 shackles. If for some reason you don't have a sniper rifle at that point, shooting them with a pistol might take a few tries. Other than that, she's great. There are much more annoying AI companions in other games **cough RE5 **cough.

My most favorite AI companion so far is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. There are probably many more better companions out there, but she is great because you are supposed to protect her according to the story and you don't actually need to. She can take care of herself.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I thought she was a pain in the ass at first, but then I played games like Dead Rising and Ashley is a god damn self aware AI in comparison. It's hard to shoot her by accident, she doesn't get stuck on stuff, and best of all, you can hide her in the dumpsters most of the time. The only bad thing is that she gets grabbed and carried so you might accidentally shoot her.

The worst design in the game is when you have to shoot her out of the 3 shackles. If for some reason you don't have a sniper rifle at that point, shooting them with a pistol might take a few tries. Other than that, she's great. There are much more annoying AI companions in other games **cough RE5 **cough.

My most favorite AI companion so far is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. There are probably many more better companions out there, but she is great because you are supposed to protect her according to the story and you don't actually need to. She can take care of herself.

I always found Sherry more capable than Ashley though. Sherry was 12 and was a master zombie dodger and never whined. Ashley was 20 and freaked out when a tree looked at her.

I never liked Elizabeth, to be honest. She annoyed me and had a weird design. Her voice actress wasn't very good at playing her either. But that's just my opinion.

KevinStriker

Ashley was 20 and freaked out when a tree looked at her.

Quit the exaggerating. Ashley only cried out to Leon for help when she was picked up and thrown over the shoulder of a Ganado & yelped in pain when she was hit, which is perfectly reasonable.

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
Sherry is a good character, but I think Ashley had some potential. She sure showed that she can handle RE4, so they could have matured her in RE6 or even RE7. I wish they wrote her better in RE4 though. She wasn't terrible, but could have been a little more developed. Her slight hint at a romance with Leon should have also been explored more.

As for Elizabeth, I'm completely opposite of you. I love Elizabeth and I found her a very interesting and compelling character. I also liked the bond she developed with Booker that was never hinted at any romance bull****. Not only because it would be like cross-universe-time-incest(whatever?), but also that romantic relationships between protector and protect-ee have been overdone. Really like the way she was written and I thought her voice actress did an incredible job, I never even thought about the voice acting aspect until I read you post.

The whole voice acting and acting in general criticism is a dodgy territory to me because to me, they are a good actor if I never questioned whether they are acting or not and I rarely question such things. Although there are performances that I sometimes find a little over the top or perhaps underwhelming (resident evil 1). Generally speaking though, most actors and voice actors do fine. Video games have a bit of difficulty as we tend to be more critical of these worlds and have thin suspension of disbelief.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Quit the exaggerating. Ashley only cried out to Leon for help when she was picked up and thrown over the shoulder of a Ganado & yelped in pain when she was hit, which is perfectly reasonable.

Wooaahhh hostility. xD
I have every version of RE 4 and in one of them Ashley would scream like an enemy was trying to pick her up when there weren't any enemies in sight. Apparently I'm the only one with that glitch.

KevinStriker

Wooaahhh hostility. xD

But not really.

I have every version of RE 4 and in one of them Ashley would scream like an enemy was trying to pick her up when there weren't any enemies in sight. Apparently I'm the only one with that glitch.

I hate to be "that guy", but you're gonna have to share some video footage of this glitch because I have NEVER known that to happen.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
But not really.

I hate to be "that guy", but you're gonna have to share some video footage of this glitch because I have NEVER known that to happen.

Lol it was a joke. I always say that to people.

I've looked it up and I couldn't find it anywhere. I get a lot of rare glitches. In my PS2 version of RE 4 a Novistador stalked me through the castle no matter how many times I killed it. The strangest was in RE 2 when Claire and Sherry started talking as Ada and Annette. "Claire! I can't get through the ventilation- G-VIRUS!!!"

KevinStriker

I F*CKING KNEW IT. I totally called it being either the PS2 or PC version! (My least favourite ports just because they're not as polished as the others)

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I always found Sherry more capable than Ashley though. Sherry was 12 and was a master zombie dodger and never whined.

Sherry is tiny enough to hide in the most inaccessible places, too small to be grabbed by adult zombies, and too young for Capcom to graphically violate her without getting into trouble. That's the whole reason she's such a "master zombie dodger". And while she doesn't whine aloud, she pouts all the more. Try running ahead a little and watch her stupidly sit down on the floor until Claire comes back for her.

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about. I got fed up with RE4 halfway through and never finished it, but that had nothing to do with Ashley. In fact, her AI is one of the few positives I remember, how she always got out of the way when I raised my gun, and never strayed too far (or sat down and pouted) so I always knew where she was and didn't have to look for her. Her tendency to get caught in bear traps was annoying, but other than that I had absolutly no issues with her. The game is about protecting her, and her being taken away by the enemies means that you failed, not her.

Top Bottom