• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Features Capcom needs to ELIMINATE from RE.

meg5493

Yeah same here. I felt really bad for killing Marvin in RE2.

Oh i just remembered they should reduce the ammo dropped by the enemy and instead they drop gun powder and have a reloading tool in a safe room. which you can use to make Ammo just like in RE3.
Yeah the way ammo worked in 3 was pretty fun, especially on harder difficulties

johnny_mercury

Title is self explanatory. What do you think needs to be removed from the game, and what kind of feature they should substitute in for the one you want gone.

The one thing that I REALLY want gone is bright glowing weak spots. I feel it undermines the player and dumbs down the games way too much and makes it too easy. I want a boss that's hard because I can't figure out how to kill it, not because I didn't hit the dodge QTE in time.

Also I think it's time for a new IP. They need to ground the game and restrict the players mobility. Far less action, more stealth and survival horror.

That's all i can think of for now.

I agree with all of these. The qte's take me out of a game. I know Capcom (along with many other companies) are looking to stay relevant and change, but let's hope they deliver with RE7.

IntoxNitram

For me, I want player movement restricted - not enjoying the rolling everywhere and stuff like that. I would like co-op to be removed, have other stories there, but meet up with them only occasionally, makes you feel more vulnerable. I would also like to do away with quick time events, or just have them very infrequent.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
What Capcom should remove (as I see it):
  • Co-op/partner system in the main campaign. If Capcom feel co-op is necessary to the game, then they should do a Splinter Cell style co-op campaign that runs parallel to the main storyline with separate characters and plot.
  • Get rid of the inventory system from RE6. I agree with quite a few people, they need to go back to the inventory systems of the older games, because they were much more efficient. RE4 had a decent system, and I got a sense of satisfaction from arranging my items around in a way that didn't waste space.
  • Get rid of the QTE's and tone down the numerous, OTT, Michael Bay-style action scenes. It's a hallmark of military shooters, not horror. 2 or 3 big scenes spaced far enough apart that it doesn't become repetitive is enough.
  • Again, another point I agree with a lot of people about: get rid of the health meter and replace it with the old school EKG heart rate meter. It was more effective in making me believe that when it hit the red, I was in trouble. A health bar doesn't quite have the same urgency to me.
  • Enemies that drop ammo. It doesn't sit right with the franchise for me. One of the things that helped sell the feeling of being vulnerable in the old games was the lack of available ammo. You were forced to pick your battles, conserve what you had, and keep your wits about you. When ammo's falling out of enemies left, right and centre, it takes that feeling of vulnerability away, and turns the game into a generic, bog standard shooter.
Reading this back, it sounds a little ranty, which wasn't my intention, but I stand by the points I've made. Anyone else agree/disagree with my list?

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Reading this back, it sounds a little ranty, which wasn't my intention, but I stand by the points I've made. Anyone else agree/disagree with my list?

I do like the partner system, but I liked it more back in the old days when you only met your partner in certain scripted situations in the game. Not having a co-op partner all the time also removes the need for that annoying realtime inventory system and the fake difficulty it creates. In Revelations 2 I never even bothered with disinfectants and tourniquets because by the time I had found a somewhat safe spot to open the inventory and use those items, the blood/slime/whatever was long gone.

The only point I partly disagree with is the last one, as I never had any problems with ammo and other consumable items in the old games, whereas I do often run out of them in the newer ones. I still prefer finding ammo, herbs etc. in the environment, though, rather than on a downed enemy, unless it makes sense (for example because the enemy was shooting at you with a machine gun, and now that you've killed it, you can take its remaining ammo or even the entire weapon).

Other than that, I totally agree with your list!

Reactions: JHJ

JHJ

Fair point, well made. It does make sense to find ammo on armed enemies, and I'd be fine with it in RE if that was the case, if it was just armed enemies that drop ammo. But it's not. It's something which always confused me from an AI standpoint, not just with RE, but a lot of games, mainly military/sci-fi shooters.
"I'm gonna beat his head into a paste with my bare hands! There'll be nothing but a stain left of him by the time I'm through!! But first, I'll just fill my pockets with ammo for that lovely 45. calibre handgun he's rocking!" :D

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It gets even better when animals drop ammo (like the mutated dogs or spiders)... RE5 is so crazy!

JHJ

I've been racking what few braincells I have for the last few hours trying to remember that. I've got the game on OG Xbox, but I never got that far into it.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
1) remove free melee functionality
2) remove ammo drops from enemies
3) remove obvious weak points
4) make gameplay more like revelations 1 (I honestly think this was a really good system)
5) add some sort of storage chest, limited inventory space is manageable, but annoying when you can carry as many guns as you want and no ammo for them (looking at you re6)
6) can we make tablets sprays again?
7) keep co op but don't make it mandatory
(no forced partner)

RedPanda

4x the awesome
1) remove free melee functionality
2) remove ammo drops from enemies
3) remove obvious weak points
4) make gameplay more like revelations 1 (I honestly think this was a really good system)
5) add some sort of storage chest, limited inventory space is manageable, but annoying when you can carry as many guns as you want and no ammo for them (looking at you re6)
6) can we make tablets sprays again?
7) keep co op but don't make it mandatory
(no forced partner)
I agree with all of these whole-heartedly, especially 3 and 6 because I feel like people don't bring those ones up as often. There's no reason why they shouldn't be sprays, and that was a staple of the series, plus tablets are way more generic and make RE feel even more like it's trying to cater to fans of other series. And I definitely agree with 3 because ever since RE 5 every boss of any caliber has been "shoot the squishy orange blob until the creature dies".

Top Bottom