• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Features Capcom needs to ELIMINATE from RE.

Nuckelavee

Resident Evil 4 = far different from a shooter.

Hallmark or not, it is getting cheap, I like to see different environments not the same room like 20 times.

Zombies are dead when you hit their head, if you know that you can kill them with a spoon, the other creatures are human-like and intelligent, they have strategy and can ambush, zombies just walk at you making as much sound as possible, the only reason games and film people die by them is because they are total assholes and if they weren't there wouldn't be a movie at all. In the real world a zombie outbreak wouldn't even have a chance if the virus is spreaded by BITE only and the zombies are as slow as in the movies.

And saying the others are stupid and easy because you can just shoot them dead is silly, I mean you just said fighting in a war is easy too? No.

In my own mythology game project i've searched and found a lot of mythology monsters, and guess what, only the Goblin is weaker than the zombie, the zombie is the ultimate fail as far as a monster can get.

I don't mind zombies in the game, as long as there are infected/J'avo too.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Like how exactly? it a linear point A to point B shooter, i fail to see how its any different from Gears of War or Call of duty.

If you just want RE4 all over again, then you just want a horror themed shooter, RE4 has creepy atmosphere&enemy design but the actual game itself just boils down to "SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT".
Hallmark or not, it is getting cheap, I like to see different environments not the same room like 20 times.
Backtracking is something that hasn't been in RE games since RE3, so idk what you mean by "Its Getting cheap" its rarely used anymore so much so that now levels basically consist of one straight line A to B.
Zombies are dead when you hit their head
*With a Shotgun and good luck scavenging for shotgun rounds!
the other creatures are human-like and intelligent
Ganados are about as intelligent as a potato! they walk slowly towards you instead of running at you, and you can just stop then easily by either aiming at their limbs or head, but zombies? you can keep shooting at them, they won't stop! who's the better enemy? zombies by a mile.

I don't care about the movies or anything! the fact is that in the game they are bullet sponges and can't be stopped with normal handgun rounds, that's way more impressive than ganados who are fodder.

slack

Zombies are dead when you hit their head, if you know that you can kill them with a spoon, the other creatures are human-like and intelligent, they have strategy and can ambush, zombies just walk at you making as much sound as possible, the only reason games and film people die by them is because they are total assholes and if they weren't there wouldn't be a movie at all. In the real world a zombie outbreak wouldn't even have a chance if the virus is spreaded by BITE only and the zombies are as slow as in the movies.

And saying the others are stupid and easy because you can just shoot them dead is silly, I mean you just said fighting in a war is easy too? No.

In my own mythology game project i've searched and found a lot of mythology monsters, and guess what, only the Goblin is weaker than the zombie, the zombie is the ultimate fail as far as a monster can get.

I don't mind zombies in the game, as long as there are infected/J'avo too.

Is this a troll or something?

First off, backtracking is one of thee best core elements to the games. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that could literally draw a map of the Spencer Estate, the RPD and Birkins Lab all from memory and also be able to pin-point minor and major detail within the rooms. The nostalgia of these rooms is a big part of why I keep coming back to these games. It's a travesty the series lost that component.

Second, zombies may be 'weak' but they have sheer numbers and that accounts for A LOT. Even just 4 or 5 of them in a narrow corridor is a huge problem. Now imagine a road packed with them and you only have 15 bullets - it'd be hard even for a marksman to keep their cool under that kind of pressure and land all 15 head shots and make safe passage-- granted that hasn't happened in the series but if they reverted back to the olden ways they could easily make something like this possible, especially given the technological advancements made since the Outbreak days.
What I'm trying to say is; zombies are exponentially funner and scarier to deal with than parasite infected commoners with machine guns and knives.

Last, RE4 is most definitely a shooter - but ROCKMANS got that covered.

Oh and off note -- the reason why people get bit in movies isn't because they're 'assholes' it's because they either A) have no clue what a zombie is . B) aren't very accustom to bashing/stabbing/shooting people in the head. C) they're absolutely terrified. Or D) all the above. And by the time they are used to it the zombie population increases to a dangerous number.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Hm, I can see both sides of the argument being presented here. Zombies were difficult to kill in the original games, and ammo was far more scarce. This definitely attributed to the helpless vibe of those games. But on the other hand, the only reason they were difficult to kill was because they were bullet sponges, and while this may have worked back in the day, I for one would find it extremely annoying if the majority of enemies in a game nowadays were not overly sophisticated, but still took a lot of damage before being killed. It wouldn't really be fun or exhilarating so much as tedious and annoying. Newer enemies do have more complicated AI and are difficult to kill for strategic reasons, not simply because they take a lot of damage. But these enemies also devolve into generic soldier-type enemies that can be found in any shooter, which I believe is part of what slack and rockman were referring to. This lessens the creative element of the gameplay and gives the game a more generic feel rather than being bold and unique.

Regarding backtracking, I think Capcom needs to find a happy medium. The old games had so much backtracking it was ridiculous. Yes, we all love the mansion and the police station, but there's a limit. Rather than being a point a to point b experience, it was a point a to point b to point a to point c to point b to point d to point a etc. etc. experience. The backtracking became obnoxious and overkill, especially if you realized you needed the valve so then you have to go back like 10 rooms just to find a box to retrieve it. The newer games on the other hand were the other extreme. They were so linear it felt like the game was insulting my intelligence, with 6 being the worst offender. They refused to let you deviate even a little from the set path which also became tedious in its own right. I think perhaps having levels that are more open for exploration would be better because they wouldn't require such a linear path or too much backtracking. 4 probably came closest to doing something like this, but even that was quite linear.

I think in order to truly see resident evil succeed in the future, we need to see what made the originals so memorable, what made the newer ones not so great, and most importantly, see what didn't work in the originals, because as tempting as it can be to look through those nostalgia glasses and say the originals were flawless, it's simply not true. They had plenty of their own problems, and even more so when looked at in a more modern context. But they still did a lot right, and we need Capcom to see that as well.

Nuckelavee

You don't need a gun to kill a brain, just use a shovel or other long hard object and you can destroy a Zombie army.

A army of minotaurs or wyverns, that is a problem, a army of stupid zombies is easy to beat, not counting the specail zombies, only the boring overused ones.

ZOmbies aren't special or unique, they are like Wolverine from X-men overused and getting annoying in almost EVERY FREAKING horror movie.

I'm not a troll for not sharing your opinion.

My favorite Resident Evil is Resident Evil 4, and I rather hope 7 will be like it. I hate Resident Evil 2 because I really dislike that boring non-scary environment of the streets/sewers and most of all the police office, how can people think that is horror? It feels much too safe.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
You don't need a gun to kill a brain, just use a shovel or other long hard object and you can destroy a Zombie army.

A army of minotaurs or wyverns, that is a problem, a army of stupid zombies is easy to beat, not counting the specail zombies, only the boring overused ones.

ZOmbies aren't special or unique, they are like Wolverine from X-men overused and getting annoying in almost EVERY FREAKING horror movie.

I'm not a troll for not sharing your opinion.

My favorite Resident Evil is Resident Evil 4, and I rather hope 7 will be like it. I hate Resident Evil 2 because I really dislike that boring non-scary environment of the streets/sewers and most of all the police office, how can people think that is horror? It feels much too safe.

I literally agree with 99% of this. You can't destroy a whole Zombie army with a shovel or "a long hard object" without getting bit. LMAO! It just doesn't work like that. Also... please no minotaur's of wyverns. I know you were just proving a point and not suggesting anything... right? RIGHT?! xD

I agree with the rest. The Zombies were never scary, not even when I was a kid. Not that any game scares me -_- but the Regenerators were the freakiest **** in the whole series, and yes. The locations in RE2 were very action orientated. RE6 played some homages to that game. They even put the bar in RE6 :3 Dude was also loaded up with guns, just like in RE2.

Nuckelavee

No, Minotaurs and Wyverns in Resident Evil ain't gonna work, but it was an example of what was scary, and what is not scary.

RE6 has the best monsters (Looking at Strelats, Napad, Ustanak, Lepotitsa, Shrieker, Iluzia (the snake), Ubvisto, Gnezdo, and many J'avo, especially the Centipede Armed one.) But the story and the action-based stuff is really horrible and boring, too much vehicles, and I really love gaming but I freaking HATE racing and sport games, and Resident Evil looked a bit like both in some parts. (I do love Mario sport and racing games though! hihi)

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I was just kidding with you, but don't say it wouldn't work. I had no idea that giant ogres would be in Resident Evil either.

I think RE4 had the best enemies by far. RE6 had some good ones, but most were too action focused in function and appearance. Also it's the story that was the saving grace of RE6 for me. I loved it. I loved the characters and the way they interacted with each other. I thought it was brilliant.

I will agree that the Iluzia was amazing! A complete throw back from the snake in the original. The fight is really fun and thrilling if you don't cheese him. Go through the rooms and get him in his stalker mode and it's a lot of fun!

FelixK

Zombies must shuffle
Probably just going to rehash previous remarks but
•no more pummeling zombies with lame ass karate/judo stuff
•the option for fixed camera angles. Sure facing a zombie isn't scary, but not being able to see it and just listening to it shamble toward you? That's scary
•a real primary enemy. We don't need a million boss fights. Whatever happened to the big show down with the one badass tyrant? There's nothing wrong with more than one boss but it also really takes away from the story when you Monster through 5 unimportant boss fights.
•weapon upgrades earned through defeating the boss(es) in hard mode. One of my favorite aspects of re3.
•better puzzles and more exploration of a fixed area or areas rather than changing locations every hour *cough* re6.

meg5493

quick time events in cut scenes

the action sequences that made playing campaigns in 6 a living hell if you ****ed up 1 little thing and had to start all the way over

focus on 1 style of gameplay 6 felt disjointed with the 3 different styles

stop trying to reinvent previous enemies, ect. to try and cater to fans cuz 1/2 its not gonna work and ends up not even comparing

for gods sake you dont have to mention raccoon city for every outbreak when theres been atleast 5 other instances its been 10+ years

if your gonna push it down my throat that RE is still scary then actually make it scary instead of adding more eyes and tentacles on everything

Nuckelavee

quick time events in cut scenes

the action sequences that made playing campaigns in 6 a living hell if you ****ed up 1 little thing and had to start all the way over

focus on 1 style of gameplay 6 felt disjointed with the 3 different styles

stop trying to reinvent previous enemies, ect. to try and cater to fans cuz 1/2 its not gonna work and ends up not even comparing

for gods sake you dont have to mention raccoon city for every outbreak when theres been atleast 5 other instances its been 10+ years

if your gonna push it down my throat that RE is still scary then actually make it scary instead of adding more eyes and tentacles on everything

Yes, because undead humans we've seen like 10.0000 (the 0's never end) times already are scary?

Zombies aren't scary! Wendigo is scary, Vrykolakas is scary, Nuckelavee is scary, Boo Hag is scary, Popobawa is scary, Vetala is scary, Mananananggal and aswang are scary, Black Annis is scary, Pukwudgie is scary, but zombies are freaking NOT scary.

Crimson Heads, yes those are scary bastards. Those would be Ghouls me thinks, it has to be intelligent to be scary.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Reduce the number of G-Virus wannabes. (am I the only one who misses the spiders?)

Reduce the number of handguns. Or give us handguns with different calibers.

Get rid of super strength and super fast reflex (Chris punching boulders and Leon evading lasers)

meg5493

Yes, because undead humans we've seen like 10.0000 (the 0's never end) times already are scary?

Zombies aren't scary! Wendigo is scary, Vrykolakas is scary, Nuckelavee is scary, Boo Hag is scary, Popobawa is scary, Vetala is scary, Mananananggal and aswang are scary, Black Annis is scary, Pukwudgie is scary, but zombies are freaking NOT scary.

Crimson Heads, yes those are scary bastards. Those would be Ghouls me thinks, it has to be intelligent to be scary.

I never once mentioned zombies and the fact of the matter is Resident evil has always been about mutation, everything you fight is a mutated form of something else and if Capcom wants to continue that to a more ridiculous level that's fine just don't call it horror when I'm fighting a giant insect man or driving a tank shooting down a variant of El Gigante. And the supernatural creatures you mentioned belong more in a Witcher game then resident evil, or at least a more supernatural horror game like Haunting Grounds or Silent Hill.

And I don't mean to be rude but Crimson Heads are still zombies nothing about them has changed beside the strength and aggregation due to the different strain of the T-virus. Hell most of the monster in RE aren't even intelligent more so running on animal instinct.

Cheer

Kamen Rider

I never once mentioned zombies and the fact of the matter is Resident evil has always been about mutation, everything you fight is a mutated form of something else and if Capcom wants to continue that to a more ridiculous level that's fine just don't call it horror when I'm fighting a giant insect man or driving a tank shooting down a variant of El Gigante. And the supernatural creatures you mentioned belong more in a Witcher game then resident evil, or at least a more supernatural horror game like Haunting Grounds or Silent Hill.

And I don't mean to be rude but Crimson Heads are still zombies nothing about them has changed beside the strength and aggregation due to the different strain of the T-virus. Hell most of the monster in RE aren't even intelligent more so running on animal instinct.

Maybe Capcom could make the T-virus zombies mutate and become more intelligent. It would be like a T2-virus.

meg5493

Maybe Capcom could make the T-virus zombies mutate and become more intelligent. It would be like a T2-virus.
The closet things to a more intelligent zombie is the Tyrant models more specifically Nemesis and Mr. X both of which were highly effective until damaged to the point where the virus overrode the mission objective and they basically went bat****. Hunters and (later down the series) lickers are also intelligent zombies that are used.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
The closet things to a more intelligent zombie is the Tyrant models more specifically Nemesis and Mr. X both of which were highly effective until damaged to the point where the virus overrode the mission objective and they basically went bat****. Hunters and (later down the series) lickers are also intelligent zombies that are used.

Oh i know but i was thinking about something like the zombies from Land of the dead movie.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
I see what you mean, I would probably feel bad if I had to kill a likable zombie though :(

Yeah same here. I felt really bad for killing Marvin in RE2.

Oh i just remembered they should reduce the ammo dropped by the enemy and instead they drop gun powder and have a reloading tool in a safe room. which you can use to make Ammo just like in RE3.

Top Bottom