• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Do zombies turn to Crimson Heads in RE0?

Jordan15

Hey, can't find any answers to this.

Going to get RE0 next, and wondering if the zombies also turn into Crimson Heads in RE0?

Also, do zombies in the remake turn into lickers? I never saw one, even when leaving a crimson head alive for awhile.

While I'm at it, in the remake, I could never figure out if theres a 100% chance to get a decapitation or kneebuster.
I try to aim a bit, but it just aims either all the way up, or all the way down.
I had to stand on stairs to get a better chance of a decap by aiming upwards.

Was it because I was on easy?

Thanks

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
According to RE Wiki, the Crimson Heads are only in Umbrella Chronicles and REmake.

Lickers only came into the series in RE2, and Crimson Heads were only introduced for REmake (they weren't in the original 1996 version). Lickers only appear in RE2, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles and both Outbreak files. Of course, there are the Licker Betas that appear in RE5.

I think it takes a long while for the zombies to mutate to Crimson Heads, so there wasn't enough time to get them to mutate into Lickers before S.T.A.R.S. got involved.

Mr Sunshine

Wolfgirl is right. Crimson heads can mutate to lickers but they just weren't programmed to do so in this game.

As for your other question, the magnum always decapitates a zombie. You can also decapitate one by aiming up with your shotgun when a zombie gets close to you. I'm not sure if it works for the remake though. What's a knee buster btw?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Exploding knees in RE0?
I can make heads explode in RE4. If I could make knees explode also, it would make my day almost complete!!

bruno

Chief Researcher
Fallen91;73133 said:
Wolfgirl is right. Crimson heads can mutate to lickers but they just weren't programmed to do so in this game.

That's a common misconception.... ZOMBIES mutate into lickers, not the Crimson heads:
  • An incapacitated zombie mutates into a CH.
  • A starving zombie mutates into a licker.
Romero;73180 said:
Exploding knees in RE0?
I can make heads explode in RE4. If I could make knees explode also, it would make my day almost complete!!

Actually, it is RE1 (I don't know if it is possible in RE0). Exploding their knees has the same effect as decapitation, i mean, it prevents the zombies from turning into CH (i'm not sure if he can still grab your leg and bite you).

Zombie's flesh is in a much more advanced stage of decomposition than plagas infected, so zombies desintegrate much easily...

Mr Sunshine

bruno;73189 said:
That's a common misconception.... ZOMBIES mutate into lickers, not the Crimson heads:
  • An incapacitated zombie mutates into a CH.
  • A starving zombie mutates into a licker.

Wow, where did you read this and what about the Regis licker? :confused:

Edited: Lol! I can see a "Bruno" member in the project Umbrella forums! :p

bruno

Chief Researcher
Fallen91;73192 said:
Wow, where did you read this and what about the Regis licker? :confused:
Capcom never suggested that CH mutate into lickers...

Edited: Lol! I can see a "Bruno" member in the project Umbrella forums! :p
...also, I read the theories in PU and they make much more sense to me!

(yup, it's me :p)

Mr Sunshine

Ok, but where did they stated that zombies mutate into lickers due to starvation? Any official resource I could get? By Capcom maybe?

bruno

Chief Researcher
They mention a file that suggests it (i'm not sure what the file is, but ask the user Neptune and he'll certanly tell you).
Also, it makes sense, they grow their tonge to reach food easier and claws/speed to help hunting the preys.

Mr Sunshine

bruno;73196 said:
They mention a file that suggests it (i'm not sure what the file is, but ask the user Neptune and he'll certanly tell you).
Also, it makes sense, they grow their tonge to reach food easier and claws/speed to help hunting the preys.

Actually, after a lot of search I didn't find any official source saying anything about starvation. Yes, I understand that zombies do mutate to either crmson heads or lickers, but it isn't mention that zombies mutate to lickers because of starvation. Is the starvation part one of the UP theories?

residentevilfan1994

FalleN;73332 said:
Actually, after a lot of search I didn't find any official source saying anything about starvation. Yes, I understand that zombies do mutate to either crmson heads or lickers, but it isn't mention that zombies mutate to lickers because of starvation. Is the starvation part one of the UP theories?

I do remember reading this also (that they mutate to Lickers when starving, and into Crimson Heads when incapacitated). It does make sense if you think about it. But, I don't know where I read that, so I don't remember if it is a reliable source. :( But, I don't think it hurts to believe it anyway. Because the idea is cool, and I think it makes sense. :)

bruno

Chief Researcher
residentevilfan1994;100229 said:
I do remember reading this also (that they mutate to Lickers when starving, and into Crimson Heads when incapacitated). It does make sense if you think about it. But, I don't know where I read that, so I don't remember if it is a reliable source. :( But, I don't think it hurts to believe it anyway. Because the idea is cool, and I think it makes sense. :)

It's not a theory, the source is the game files themselves. The suggestion that CH turn into lickers was created by fans an i believe most people read it in the RE Wiki (which is not reliable at all).
It's also important to know (and this is not a theory, it's just basic thinking, and some knowledge in biology research) that different strains of the virus allow for different mutations (almost every incident have different strains), and that's why you only see CHs in RE1, Umbrella's End and (partially) in Operation Javier, and Lickers on RE 2 (they should have been in RE3), Outbreak, etc, just like only some strains infect through air transmission (only the RECV, Umbrella's End and possibly the RE1 strains).

residentevilfan1994

bruno;100242 said:
It's not a theory, the source is the game files themselves. The suggestion that CH turn into lickers was created by fans an i believe most people read it in the RE Wiki (which is not reliable at all).
It's also important to know (and this is not a theory, it's just basic thinking, and some knowledge in biology research) that different strains of the virus allow for different mutations (almost every incident have different strains), and that's why you only see CHs in RE1, Umbrella's End and (partially) in Operation Javier, and Lickers on RE 2 (they should have been in RE3), Outbreak, etc, just like only some strains infect through air transmission (only the RECV, Umbrella's End and possibly the RE1 strains).

Oh, ok...then the games must be where I read it, so I guess it is reliable. I just wasn't sure where I had read it. :)

T-Vaccinated Kid

Neo-Umbrella Head Zoologist
I don't know of any game files that suggest that zombies mutate after starvation. I remember being shown, I believe by you Bruno, the article from the RE3 strategy guide that explains that the mutation that creates Lickers results from starvation. But that was written in 1999, years before Capcom even thought up Crimson Heads. And you know how they are. If they want something in their game they add it without worrying about previous games in the series.

There are more recent games that support the theory that Crimson Heads mutate into Lickers. In Umbrella's End there are both Crimson Heads and Lickers in the same facility. I know that doesn't mean they can't have been infected with different strains of the T-Virus, but its worth mentioning. Also, in either Umbrella Chronicles' or Darkside Chronicles' files, Crimson Heads are referred to as mutated zombies, while Lickers are referred to as evolved zombies. "Evolved" implies a longer process than a single mutation, possibly even confirming that there is a transitional form between zombies and Lickers.

bruno

Chief Researcher
Yes, i think the info about starvation was mentioned in a RE3 official guide.
I don't think there are enough proofs to conclude that the V-ACT creates lickers, not even to support a fan theory.
If that was the case, there would always be both CH's and Lickers in every incident.
I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but i think that some CH's in Umbrella Chronicles should be 'ignored', i think Capcom just threw them there without thinking about this. I refer to all CH's that are not in the Arclay Research Facility and it's surroundings. I can only think about the ones in Beginnings and in Umbrella's End. It's obvious that the strain in RE 0 was completely different (and much more primitive) than the strain in RE 1, and since RE 0 was produced at the same time as RE 1, and only the later has CH's, i suppose the RE 0 strain could not create the V-ACT process (the V-ACT strain was created through one specific zombie which suffered mutation, the first CH, which makes it impossible for the RE 0 strain, much more primitive since it comes from the Leeches, to induce V-ACT).
For the same reason, i think that in Umbrella's End there should be only Lickers and not CH's.
If you analyse the infectants in each game, you'll come to the conclusion that the primitive strain, created inside the leeches, could not induce any of the proccesses. After some research, one of the zombies in the Arclay RF (probably already under Birkin's lead) could not be disposed off, so they collected some samples and locked it in a coffin (this was probably the first CH, in the graveyard crypt). Only a later strain, maybe created by Birkin, and possibly based in an enhancement of the V-ACT proccess, is able to create lickers (this was the main strain leaked into Raccoon City, however there were lots of contamination factors, so there could be more different strains).

T-Vaccinated Kid

bruno;100352 said:
Yes, i think the info about starvation was mentioned in a RE3 official guide.
I don't think there are enough proofs to conclude that the V-ACT creates lickers, not even to support a fan theory.
If that was the case, there would always be both CH's and Lickers in every incident.
I refer to all CH's that are not in the Arclay Research Facility and it's surroundings. I can only think about the ones in Beginnings and in Umbrella's End. It's obvious that the strain in RE 0 was completely different (and much more primitive) than the strain in RE 1, and since RE 0 was produced at the same time as RE 1, and only the later has CH's, i suppose the RE 0 strain could not create the V-ACT process (the V-ACT strain was created through one specific zombie which suffered mutation, the first CH, which makes it impossible for the RE 0 strain, much more primitive since it comes from the Leeches, to induce V-ACT).
For the same reason, i think that in Umbrella's End there should be only Lickers and not CH's.
If you analyse the infectants in each game, you'll come to the conclusion that the primitive strain, created inside the leeches, could not induce any of the proccesses. After some research, one of the zombies in the Arclay RF (probably already under Birkin's lead) could not be disposed off, so they collected some samples and locked it in a coffin (this was probably the first CH, in the graveyard crypt). Only a later strain, maybe created by Birkin, and possibly based in an enhancement of the V-ACT proccess, is able to create lickers (this was the main strain leaked into Raccoon City, however there were lots of contamination factors, so there could be more different strains).

I understand your logic, but I think your exagerating the differences of the viruses in question. All we get from Marcus's Diary is that he created the T-Virus by infecting leeches with the progenitor virus. We have to assume the virus he took and named "T" was directly from the leeches. This was the virus that Birkin and Wesker started working on.

Now we know from RE0 that the original strain creates zombies after secondary infection by leeches. Ands its completely possible that Birkin and/or Wesker used a different means of infection on a human subject which caused a genetic change in the virus and causes a human-specific mutation. Clearly this strain would have been favorable to Umbrella as it would be genetically targeted at humans.

My point is that there is no way of knowing whether the mutation in the virus that causes the human-specific V-ACT process occured before or after William Birkin left the Arklay Facility. So we can't say for sure that the strains in RE1 and RE2 are different. Anyways by the looks of Birkin's lab, most of his research on T was focused on plants. And he was also working on G the whole time.

bruno;100352 said:
I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but i think that some CH's in Umbrella Chronicles should be 'ignored', i think Capcom just threw them there without thinking about this.

Its just that its hard to ignore as its in the cannon part of the game. The events portrayed in the recollection parts of Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles aren't cannon but you have to assume the files they make you earn are. At least they do you the favor of adding up-to-date descriptions. Like the descriptions of Crimson Heads as "mutated", and of Lickers as "evolved".

bruno

Chief Researcher
I really think there are big differences in the viral strains in question in each incident.
In RE0, the infection is caused by the leeches; it may not be the first version of the virus, but a more stabilized one, but it's an earler version.
The first CH was found in the Arclay RF, so i really think they developed the V-ACT proccess from this subject (Crimson Head Prototype 1) and this was the virus leacked in RE1. This virus wouldn't be much different from the virus i RE 0 besides the V-ACT proccess.
I believe the virus in RE 2 and 3 is the final version created by Birkin, before he moved to the underground lab to investigate the G virus, and that would be the Licker version.
I understand you don't like howw i think, but i'm trying to adjust what i see to my biologist logic. Thus, i think the CH's were introduced in more chapters in UC to give you a challenge, if it were not for that, then Beginnings would be just like Train Derrailment and Umbrella's end would be just like Dark Legacy.

EDIT: I've looked this up in Project Umbrella. They think that the V-ACT version was also involved in RE 0 (along with the 'earlier' version) and that in the Caucasus incident, the lickers were mass-produced (like the Hunters, chimeras, etc), and probably Wesker leaked an airborn version of the V-ACT strain.

mastermind

well maybe its just the different genes in each of the persons infected that determine the type mutation and to what type of mutation/evolution, whether they go into a crimson head zombie or evolve into a licker.

or maybe just their body style, such as if they are athletic the virus is more likely to target the muscle tissues and the cardio-vascular systems to meake them into a like instead of a crimson head.

T-Vaccinated Kid

bruno;100372 said:
I really think there are big differences in the viral strains in question in each incident.
In RE0, the infection is caused by the leeches; it may not be the first version of the virus, but a more stabilized one, but it's an earler version.
The first CH was found in the Arclay RF, so i really think they developed the V-ACT proccess from this subject (Crimson Head Prototype 1) and this was the virus leacked in RE1. This virus wouldn't be much different from the virus i RE 0 besides the V-ACT proccess.
I believe the virus in RE 2 and 3 is the final version created by Birkin, before he moved to the underground lab to investigate the G virus, and that would be the Licker version.
I understand you don't like howw i think, but i'm trying to adjust what i see to my biologist logic. Thus, i think the CH's were introduced in more chapters in UC to give you a challenge, if it were not for that, then Beginnings would be just like Train Derrailment and Umbrella's end would be just like Dark Legacy.

EDIT: I've looked this up in Project Umbrella. They think that the V-ACT version was also involved in RE 0 (along with the 'earlier' version) and that in the Caucasus incident, the lickers were mass-produced (like the Hunters, chimeras, etc), and probably Wesker leaked an airborn version of the V-ACT strain.

Well you gotta think, Marcus developed the original strain of the T-Virus in the 70's and shortly after was assassinated by Wesker. Wesker and Birkin worked on the T-Virus for years after that at the Arklay Facility and of course the strain that causes the V-ACT mutation originated here. Birkin left the Arklay Facility in the late 80's for the new facility under Raccoon City. But there is no evidence that he continued T-Virus research on human subjects. In his lab there were mutant plants and a giant moth and my guess is those were Annette's and the other Umbrella employees' projects. I can't see William working on much more than his precious G. Remember he also made Wesker's virus and he completed that before the G-Virus. Theres no telling how long he was working on that.

Anyways I understand where you are coming from but you have to understand that Capcom didn't create this stuff chronologically. They made up Lickers while developing RE2 and didn't make up Crimson Heads until they developed REmake. And when they made them up they were probably thinking of them as being partway between a zombie and Licker.

The info about zombies mutating directly into Lickers came from a questionable source before the V-ACT process was even thought up. And since REmake any evidence only points towards zombie mutation being a longer process that doesn't just instantly evolve a deadly predator like the Licker.

I think the most likely process is that a zombie mutates to become stronger and faster. Thats when it becomes a Crimson Head. But it could always be more agile. And so the T-Virus grants it evolutionary freedom and mutates it into a Regis Licker. Now it is an active hunting zombie but its offense is kind of weak. And so its bones get stronger and it grows large bony talons and developes its already lengthened tongue into a weapon. I've been reading Richard Dawkins lately and I know that when you get to a change as dramatic as the change from a zombie to a Licker it takes more than one genetic change.

Really we don't have enough evidence to confirm either theory. I mean you are going by the evidence in each specific incident, I am going by the evidence from all incidents as a whole. We have two different approaches and two different theories. These kind of debates happen all the time in science, especially when there is little evidence. But sadly niether of us was there in Raccoon City, nor do we know of anyone to ask who was there in Raccoon City. If only we could get our hands on the T-Virus from the black market we could do a little experiment. We could see if a zombie we let starve mutates into a Licker, or if it first loses conscienciousness and mutates into a Crimson Head. Although I don't think the CDC would let us get away with that experiment. lol.

Top Bottom