• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Do You Prefer Playing as Leon or Claire?

Do you prefer playing as Leon or Claire?

• Leon

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Claire

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It's a toss up for me to this day. I still much prefer Leon's loadout and I love the new Ada. But Claire has a more satisfying final fight in my opinion. And that orphanage section is just fun.

But I will still say that Leon edges Claire out a touch for me!

RedfieldFan

The answer to the age-old question if Leon or Chris has the most appearances depends not only on whether or not you count the remake as a separate game from the original (in which case you'd have to do the same for the remake of RE1, so it doesn't make a difference here), but also if you only count numbered titles or all RE games, if and how you count cameo appearances in bonus modes (such as RE2's Extreme Battle), and if you count the CGI films.

So far, Chris has appeared in:
RE1 / REmake, RE2 (Extreme Battle), RE5, 6, 7, Code Veronica, Mercenaries 3D, Revelations 1, Revelations 2 (Rape Mode), Vendetta.

Leon has appeared in:
RE2 / REmake 2, RE4, 6, Revelations 2 (Rape Mode), Degeneration, Damnation, Vendetta.

I'd say whichever way you spin it, Chris has appeared more than Leon in the series so far.
When counting the number of character appearances, I usually only count canon story appearances.

Leon:
- RE2/RE2make
- Operation Javier (DC)
- RE4
- Degeneration
- Damnation
- RE6
- Vendetta

Chris:
- RE1/REmake
- Code Veronica
- End of Umbrella (UC)
- Revelations 1
- RE5
- RE6
- Vendetta
- RE7
- (RE8)

I agree that Chris is the most recurring character storywise but Leon isn't that far behind.

Soul Fist

When counting the number of character appearances, I usually only count canon story appearances.

Leon:
- RE2/RE2make
- Operation Javier (DC)
- RE4
- Degeneration
- Damnation
- RE6
- Vendetta

Chris:
- RE1/REmake
- Code Veronica
- End of Umbrella (UC)
- Revelations 1
- RE5
- RE6
- Vendetta
- RE7
- (RE8)

I agree that Chris is the most recurring character storywise but Leon isn't that far behind.
Hmmmm I decided to do a comparsation but between the females XD

Ada
RE2/Remake
RE4
RE UC
RE6
Damnation

Jill
RE1/Remake
RE3/Remake
RE UC
RE5
REV1

Claire
RE2/RE2R
CV
Revelations 2
Degeneration
That manga of the beach Incident (Forgot the name)

Wow I just noticed that women who had the most appearances had only 5, but none of them reached beyond that so far.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah, Capcom really sees Chris and Leon as their main selling points because of decades of men leading action series I suppose. But Jill and Claire are equally as important to the series. Each one is an icon and I would be more than happy to see more women lead RE games. We do have some, but I'll never say no to more.

After all, my biggest dream right now is a Jill/Claire team up. And to see Leon and Ada finally end up together (or not. lol)

Soul Fist

Yeah, Capcom really sees Chris and Leon as their main selling points because of decades of men leading action series I suppose. But Jill and Claire are equally as important to the series. Each one is an icon and I would be more than happy to see more women lead RE games. We do have some, but I'll never say no to more.

After all, my biggest dream right now is a Jill/Claire team up. And to see Leon and Ada finally end up together (or not. lol)
Haha everyone want Leon to marry Ada and.. I think they are the best couple of Resident Evil XD

And yeah I want a Claire/Jill game so badly, if Chris and Leon could meet then why not them? I would be even okay if they just teamed up in a Revelations game, just please have them both together as the leaders just like Chris and Leon in RE6 :)

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Seeing as I only completed my second run as Leon today (and, right after, started my 3rd run as Leon on hardcore), I definitely prefer playing as Claire.

I just think Claire has the most endearing story between the two. Stephanie hit it out of the park with voicing Claire and it shows that she went about the role in a thoughtful way. During the interview with Residence of Evil, Stephanie even gave a nice little backstory as to why Claire behaves the way she does. Along with her story and attitude, I prefer her loadout.

Leon is still a lil’ sweetie though.

V-Jolt

Seeing as I only completed my second run as Leon today (and, right after, started my 3rd run as Leon on hardcore), I definitely prefer playing as Claire.

I just think Claire has the most endearing story between the two. Stephanie hit it out of the park with voicing Claire and it shows that she went about the role in a thoughtful way. During the interview with Residence of Evil, Stephanie even gave a nice little backstory as to why Claire behaves the way she does. Along with her story and attitude, I prefer her loadout.

Leon is still a lil’ sweetie though.

I agree, I'm a big fan of Leon he's my favourite character of the whole series but the Resident Evil 2 remake really brings out a great story on Claire's side and fleshes out the original tale from '98.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree that they added a lot of good story for Sherry, while the ADA portion of the game is more of a hectic kind of fun. But hey, I loved the look of the new Ada and I could never get enough of the Leon story! In truth, both stories have a lot of added value.

Moonlight_Sonata

Leon is by far my favorite RE character. He has been since the original PSX game came out. I love his character model and love that he's one of the few male characters whose defining qualities (at least initially) are naïveté, idealism, inexperience, and earnestness. It's a refreshing contrast self-assured machismo of Chris or the world-weary ruggedness of Barry, and certainly something I very much identified with as an awkward teenager. He's almost the male version of Rebecca, who was always my favorite woman in the RE mythos. Claire, on the other hand, has always been sort of a enigma to me. In the original version, I somehow assumed she was older (at least in her early twenties) and imagined her as a bit of a tomboy who was using all the stuff Chris had taught her to survive in these absurd circumstances. The newer version seems to ratchet up the Claire as college girl stuff, endowing her with a more youthful appearance and tweaking her dialogue to match that persona. Unfortunately, that makes the simultaneous amping up of her bad ass, take on all comers approach to gigantic mutated creatures and zombie hordes seem really incongruous and pandering. Maybe the newer version is what they always intended her to be and I only liked the old Claire more because she was less defined, but the person in the newer game feels less than believable and pretty incoherent as a character.

All that being said, while I'm not entirely finished with Claire's story in the new game, I prefer it to Leon's so far. I liked Claire's version of the story more in the original version as well, so I'm not surprised. I was never a huge fan of the Ada stuff in Leon's scenario and find her to be an extraordinarily grating character. On the other hand, I really like the character of Chief Irons and think he's one of the best aspects of the entire game, narrative wise. In terms of character broadening sidekicks, I like Sherry's engagement of Claire's dormant maternal qualities more than Ada's toying with Leon's fluttery heart. I also enjoy that, from a mere practicality standpoint, Claire seems to have about twice as much expendable ammo and three times as many healing items as Leon.

So, love the character of Leon. He'll always be my favorite. But the Claire story is more enjoyable.

mert20004

Claire and her 1st run only. ( 2nd run is frustrating at the end cause she doesnt get a rocket launcher. )

Her interactions with sherry is at least still good and she feels less frustrating.

I dont like how leon is handled in the game both from gameplay / story / character perspective.

Same thing with ada too; her section is obnoxious and her relationship with leon is changed to the point where there isnt any love relationship between them. They act more like friends rather than love interests for a weird reason.

Oh and they also changed their backstories ( From being drunk due to a bad breakup with his girlfriend and being late for work to wanting to investigate the rpd for leon and from looking for john to being a fbi agent for ada. Oh and ada loses john's picture in the game. ) and ı didnt like that either.

Thankfully the game is a non-canon reimagining storywise and og re2 is the definitive version to experience the game.

Even darkside chronicles stayed true to og game's story.

ClaireRedfield

Claire absolutely! She is my favorite character from RE so that’s the main reason.

I feel like overall, Claire just had more interesting character development and there was more to learn about the whole plot of RE 2 playing through Claire’s scenario as opposed to Leon’s. That’s not to say that I have anything against Leon because he is a great character and I enjoyed his story a lot as well. Leon is probably my second favorite RE character as well. I just am of the opinion that Claire’s story was more interesting and does a better job at keeping the player engaged.

I also enjoyed Sherry’s bit more than Ada’s. Stealthing around trying to avoid Brian Irons was very scary and kept me on the edge of my seat. Also, I was way more interested in Sherry’s character over Ada’s. I wasn’t really a big fan of Ada in RE 2 because I feel like her relationship with Leon was way too rushed and just thrown out at us with no real build up to that, at least in my opinion. That’s the only major flaw I can think of in the story of RE 2.

Overall, I love Claire’s weapons slightly more than Leon’s. Especially the grenade launcher. I’m not sure why, but the grenade launcher is my favorite weapon in the game as it is a very powerful gun that’s very fun to use.

Only thing that I like about Leon’s story more than Claire’s is the soundtrack, especially at the end. That final boss soundtrack in Leon’s story is so cool that I sometimes listen to it on YouTube. Other than that, Claire all the way!

Billy Coen

I prefer playing as Claire. I really like Brian Irons, since he is a complete psycho, the type that likes to play with his preys before killing him.

Sherry's appearance also gave origin to the orphanage segment, which is a great addition to this remake, in my opinion.

Running/hiding away from Irons is great. I love stealth mechanics, specially when you're a a small kid with no weapons to defend yourself.

Cid

Headmaster
I prefer Claire's story as I like the whole Ripley/Newt vibe and I don't much care for Ada ... but in terms of gameplay I just prefer playing as Leon. Claire's weaponry is more suited to killing bosses and lickers, but zombies account for a much higher percentage of the encounters, and sticking the barrel of a shotgun in a zombie's mouth is just more satisfying to do. Also, Claire's revolver has a lower capacity and janky reload, so I prefer using Leon's handgun as well.

Also, the redesign of Leon's uniform in the remake is just nice to look at **approving chef kiss**

In the original RE2, though, I do prefer to play as Claire.

Top Bottom