• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DLC= Disk Locked Content?

I'm not really sure if this is true or not but, Is it true that when you buy a game that the extra content is locked on the disk? Because I saw this video...
the guy makes a good point...

L

Lurker
No. This is true for some games, but others have to develop DLC and then release it. If you want, I can find my Fallout 3 disc and check it.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
RE5 had versus mode on the disc yet you had to pay to unlock it. And with Mass Effect 3, people found some content for the "From Ashes" dlc on the disc too. The rest had to be downloaded.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Some games are encrypted or kinda tough to see real things. It's easier with PC games, though that's where DLC lacks -_-.
I actually have a codebreaker that way I can copy encrypted dvd's...So that shouldn't be an issue...

Mr Sunshine

Yep, it's possible. I remember hearing this some years ago. There was also a lot of talk about how companies cut parts of the original games only to introduce them later as "DLCs" and make you pay for them.

*cough* Lost in Nightmares *cough*

L

Lurker
Yep, it's possible. I remember hearing this some years ago. There was also a lot of talk about how companies cut parts of the original games only to introduce them later as "DLCs" and make you pay for them.

*cough* Lost in Nightmares *cough*
*cough* Catwoman *cough*
Though Catwoman was day 1.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Yeah. I hate when they make us pay for something already on the disc. Capcom got exposed doing this big time with SFxT.

A_Wesker123

The Original
Companies have been doing it for a while. Locking content, then selling unlock codes as DLC because they know people will still buy it. It's usually easy to tell whether it was on the disk from the extremely small download size.

Sadly, it's not going to stop until gamers as a whole decide to vote with their wallets and refuse to buy locked out content through DLC, which is of course never going to happen.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Companies have been doing it for a while. Locking content, then selling unlock codes as DLC because they know people will still buy it. It's usually easy to tell whether it was on the disk from the extremely small download size.

Sadly, it's not going to stop until gamers as a whole decide to vote with their wallets and refuse to buy locked out content through DLC, which is of course never going to happen.
I wouldn't say it would never happen, If enough people get invovled anything is possible. I'd bet that these companies are going to continue to push the envelope as far as they can take it which might be the catalyst to a gaming revolt.

For instance Sony did something completely rediculous that i'm still upset about. Sony Plus (which isnt that great of a service to begin with) has to be 'deactivated' from your account settings for it to be cancled much like those magazine BS subs. I was subsequently charged an additional 17.99 for something i didnt want because i didnt cancel. I also didnt have sufficient funds in that account so i had to pay a 30 dollar overdraft fee because of this sh*t. Doesnt sony have enough money not to be assholes about their services...i mean i consider that a low thing to do.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Not sure if this qualifies as on topic, but I just bought SSX. It came with online play that only became "unlocked" on the disc after a code was entered. A lot of companies are doing this "online access code" stuff to try to make a little bit of money off of the used game market. It's understandable, really, since so many people are buying and selling games and only the retailers like GameStop are getting money for it. As long as the price for online play is something relatively small, say $10, I don't mind paying it. At least it's going directly to the company that produced the game.

I know Battlefield had this feature, and I think Mass Effect 3 did as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about ME3, though. I haven't played it. All I know is that EA does this sort of thing the most.

Top Bottom