• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Dislike of resident evil village?

Jamesy

Am I the only one who kind of disliked village? It just felt bloated and all over the place.

Didnt even have a patch on re4 or rd2 remake in my opinion.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's a solid game, but it is kind of all over the place with its ideas. Almost like they were trying to cater to different people with each section. A mistake they already made with Resident Evil 6. It's still a fun game and there's nothing quite like it in the genre. But I really don't care for it as a Resident Evil game. Honestly, I feel like being a Resident Evil game actually holds it back from doing bolder stuff that could make it stand on its own as a separate IP. But overall, I'm just kinda over Village already after 2 playthroughs and I don't know why TBH. I usually go for all the achievements but my desire to replay it has been really low.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I didn't like it. I mean I liked MOMENTS, but as a whole I didn't like it. And I think a lot of that can be attributed to what @Turo602 said above. It's not even a bad game. It's a bad Resident Evil game to me. But I already talked at LENGTH about it in my review for it on that thread.

Wesker90

I'm the opposite of some tbh I initially had zero interest then gave it a shot and came out appreciating it more, It's good when you don't compare it to it's superiors

Last edited:

RipvanX

Big rant warning;
Everyone’s entitled to their own opinions, but whenever I hear this is in someone’s favorite RE games I can’t help but cringe. It resembles almost nothing from prior RE games to the point I would rather just play Bloodborne if I wanted a Van Helsing experience. RE has always borrowed aspects from other horror genres but this has gone into the fantasy realm. The themes of this game reach RE6 levels which threw me out of the entire experience. It’s an action game like RE4-6 but not done nearly as well.

The movement is clunky when compared to other action titles. RE8 masquerades itself as a survival horror game but it’s all smoke and mirrors. There’s an over-abundance of resources. Removing stem packs and replacing them with scrap has broken the item resource management system that was introduced in RE7. Before, the player had to make a choice between creating more ammo or health using said stem packs, which is a key element to a survival horror experience. The “puzzles” can be solved by a 6 year old and require no effort. Most of the game takes place in the daytime as well, which people complained about RE5 but not this game.

Mercenaries is also a joke having only Ethan be playable. It also plays more like raid mode so I don’t get the point of having it in the game when they could of fleshed out the story more, rather than having one of the biggest half assed lore dump rooms in the entire franchise. Miranda also sucks as much as Carla. She feels like a forced plot device rather than an iconic and memorable villain that fans will be talking about for years.

Maybe the DLC will change my mind on the story a bit, maybe not. Either way I am tired of this game and I hope it doesn’t sell well enough for Capcom to bring in ghost aliens for RE9, because we need an origin story for the origin stories origin story.

Last edited:

Hardware

Am I the only one who kind of disliked village? It just felt bloated and all over the place.

Didnt even have a patch on re4 or rd2 remake in my opinion.
Nope, I am right here man. "Bloated and all over the place" fits it very well. It's like 3\4 games rolled into one, none of which is actually Resident Evil. The Castle bit is the closest it gets, but it still feels like it should've been its own thing. It's not even a survival horror game like RE7 was: it's a FPS pretending to be a horror game. It does never fully drop the mask like RE4 does (even though Chris' romp through the Village is straight out of Doom), but that's what it is. And let's not talk about the nonsensical plot - the most contrived Capcom ever pulled out.

RipvanX

I actually liked resident evil 6 more than 8
RE6 was just a frustrating experience even after putting in over 200 hours into it. But RE8 does not have very engaging combat and feels like a slog. The battles in RE6 took way more tactical maneuvering to get through, but in RE8 you just block over and over and run awkwardly the other way. This is probably due to mold Ethan being spongy enough to take blunt hits directly which also feels contrived for the sake of game mechanics.

With that said though, I hate wrestling/suplex moves in a survival horror game as much as blocking. It doesn’t fit and takes the player out of the survival aspects of the game, since they will WANT to engage in battles. Enemies should never drop loot either or skill points, or anything really. Environmental pickups should be the main focus of a true RE experience, something the recent remakes did right. RE8 had glimpses of this but it’s ruined by the loot system and scrap.

Theres nothing wrong with simply finding an upgrade for a weapon and that’s that, we don’t need all these RPG upgrading elements in RE that make it feel like an arcade if they are going the survival route. There’s 2 gamplay styles of RE and RE8 contains elements of both, which is an identity crisis in itself.

Despite RE6 having its own identity crisis, it wore its action inspirations on its sleeves which I can appreciate for what it is. I keep repeating this but play any recent Far Cry game and then play RE8, they are very similar in structure when it comes to weapon upgrading and resource management. Not to mention there’s even hunting now just like in Far Cry.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I didn't really mind the hunting aspect. Hunting is a very common survival element and the way it was done here was actually an improvement over mixing green, red, and yellow herbs in RE4 to increase your health bar or collecting coins in RE7. It's much more natural and makes more sense in-game and the way the animals were implemented was quite genius because they gave more purpose to backtracking and were limited in quantity compared to games that usually have hunting as a mechanic because they work specifically as upgrades.

Hardware

...quite frankly, I couldn't care less for the hunting part, especially since it wasn't like in D2 (who remembers that?), where it was vital to your own survival - it's just another RPG mechanic to boost your character. It's not even that vital: in my first playthrough I probably got one or two recipes max because I didn't search for all the animals properly. Actually, in a real "biohazard" scenario hunting animals to eat should be a BAD idea because they could be infected. That is something that's completely missing from all the RE games from 4 onwards - the "outbreak" aspect is completely gone - save maybe for Leon's campaign in 6.

RipvanX

I’m not totally against the hunting if they can improve on it more in future games, but it dances the line between the fight or flight system present in these games. As of now it feels too similar. Maybe adding in a bounty system that rewards weapon upgrades instead of RPG buffs. They could get creative and add a risk vs reward aspect as mentioned above. I agree that it is an improvement over the yellow herb system but the stat boosting stuff that applies directly to your character I can do without in an RE.

I simply prefer enemies to be obstacles and not piñatas full of ammo and money. With the hunting added in it’s just overkill for me and turns this into arcade horror lol. If they were to add hunting to REmake 4 but completely cut out enemy drops all together, I would be fine with it. As is, the scrap system is too much. Something much more limited like gunpowder or stem packs should be reintroduced for future games, instead of burying the player with countless resources and options.

Hardware

I guess I am the only one who has always been 100% fine with the green\red\blue herbs and the health sprays of old and was OK with RE7's stem packs. Health items are just things you use to heal yourself, they should be simple and easy to use. The amount available and how you choose to use them makes the difference. Same as ammo. That's pretty much the essence of survival horror: you have to make choices. I was OK with RE7's stem packs because it added an extra layer to choice-making, even though I always had troubles believing the same chemicals could be used to create healing items and ammo. Village's scrap system sucks, plain and simple. If you want to make a survival horror game, that is.

Turo602

The King of Kings
These games have always had unlockable power weapons with infinite ammo. I don't see how hunting to increase player stats would negatively affect survival horror. It definitely wasn't the reason Village wasn't a good survival horror game and it certainly doesn't over buff the player like infinite weapons do. If anything, it enhances the survival horror experience because you are given the choice to backtrack through potentially dangerous areas for a reward. There's even a slight puzzle element to it with the photos showing you where they're located which encourages players to pay attention to details and memorize routes.

Resident Evil 4 allowed you to upgrade Leon's health with the 3 colored herb combination, which was inoffensive and added a layer of strategy to herb consumption. Resident Evil 6 had the whole skill point system that was poorly executed and improved in Revelations 2 by going the skill tree route, but was still overkill. Resident Evil 7 had coins and Resident Evil 3 had manuals. Hunting literally accomplishes the same exact thing, but in a much more natural way without being as complex or deep into the whole RPG mechanic, while also adding to the overall survival horror experience.

Part of the reason the classic games were so scary was because the lack of control you had over the character with its tank controls and fixed cameras. Making the player start off weaker accomplishes just that, and it's not like the upgrades completely remedy how sluggish and slow character movement is anyway, but they're beneficial enough to warrant tracking down.

Regardless of how Village turned out, I think it's a solid concept and one of the better ideas the game introduced that I wouldn't mind becoming regularly implemented into the series. Obviously, it wouldn't always make sense to include it if the settings don't require much wildlife, but it made sense in a game like Village and could have easily worked in games like Resident Evil 4 and 5 where cooking campfires could easily be scattered around the environment. It would have definitely made RE4 and 5 much more interesting if they started with weaker characters. Melee damage could have been reduced, movement speed could have been slower, less starting health which 4 already had but 5 didn't, and even a less steady aim.

Jamesy

As a long time resident evil fan I can say hand on heart that red dead redemption 2 kicks resident evil village ass

Hardware

These games have always had unlockable power weapons with infinite ammo. I don't see how hunting to increase player stats would negatively affect survival horror. It definitely wasn't the reason Village wasn't a good survival horror game and it certainly doesn't over buff the player like infinite weapons do.
The infinte weapons were bonuses you could unlock by finishing the game under specific circumstances and they were supposed to completely alter the experience - they were never part of the main game. Hunting in Village is part of the mechanics and you're encouraged to try and get all the recipes. That's the big difference. IMHO, in a survival horror game you should only be able to upgrade your character with additional pouches and, possibly, some form of body armor (like they wanted to do in 1.5)...but becoming physically stronger and faster should be banned.

Ikawaru

There’s an over-abundance of resources.
To be fair though, most RE games contain more than enough health and ammo to go around without any significant worry, REmake 2001 on hard mode is the big exception here, where ammo and health scarcity can be a factor if you aren't very careful. The biggest danger I've had in the classic RE games was either getting sniped by hunters and lickers unexpectedly or getting stun locked by a major boss like Nemesis in RE3 or G4 in RE2 before I can manage to heal myself and getting killed. These are tactical issues, not logistical ones.

On my last 2 runs in Biohazard 1 (1996), I tried both a 'Shotgun only' and a 'Beretta only' run using only those weapons and nothing else, not even the knife, and I managed the run just fine with ammo to spare.

As for Village, the critiques that it's kind of all over the place are sound, it's like they wanted to reinvent the series....again, and go for as much as possible and getting a lukewarm combination. I enjoyed the first two runs and managed to beat the game on 'Village of Shadows' (boy was that tough!), but have really no desire to return to it, as the magic has died off pretty quickly. Console players probably have it worse than PC players, as the game is actually visually pleasing if you have the latest hardware so my opinion my have been augmented by that fact that I enjoyed the action on a 144hz monitor and great looking graphics.

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
i am agree with you , the game wasn't resident evil at all:cautious:
it could start a whole new franchise based on story and the game , but about RE , no it wasn't very close. as friends used to say , RE is based on science not old stories . the game was fun , but as an RE , no it wasn't.
:cautious:

RipvanX

That’s Capcoms fault for abandoning the series roots and catering to more horror tropes even if it makes no sense at all. We really didn’t need vampires, robots, and werewolf like enemies. When Flagship was still around, there was more focus on a conspiracy story that was actually building up to something for multiple games, but was deflated by RE4 and quickly wrapped up in Umbrella’s Chronicles.

Killing off Wesker had impact because most of us been waiting to see his epic conclusion for 10 years at least, but newer villains always get killed off same game now. The fact every single villain introduced in RE8 was killed off with little to no character development shows how little they care having meaningful reoccurring villains to help drive the series forward.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

It may seem crazy to some to not have a cohesive theme, but IMHO, that would have been far more predictable and tedious, than Miranda assembling a small army of enemies, each with their own unique skills. I think it's also designed to panic the player into a "What, now I have to actually FIGHT this chainsaw propeller guy, there's no place to hide anymore!?", state of trepidation.

It gives the game more depth and dimension. Quite honestly, I thought the Soldats in the Factory, the outdoor boss fight with Heisenberg as a huge mech, and the Chris Redfield segment were a much needed change of pace from the Castle and Village parts, and because, of that, I appreciate those early segments more now.

I guess one could argue, but how do Lycans fit in, Miranda and none of her 4 sub bosses have anything to do with them in resemblance? Whether the Lycans fit in with the main family matters not I think, or that there is no warring between the Lycans and Vampires as made popular by some movies. I think they gave adequate explanation that Lycans are formed by a Cadou rejecting it's host, which is a side effect of Miranda's experiments. I mean suspension of disbelief is always part of any horror game, do we really need them to all be the same?

My only real nit pick, but it's a fairly big one, is the annoying subtle aim hitching, which as far as I can tell, is primarily a problem when aiming with mouse. Proper mouse support is something CAPCOM has never taken seriously enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom