• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

'Devil May Cry 5' in the works from Capcom (proof inside!)?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I just downloaded and started playing the Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition on PSN about a week ago. After being reminded of how friggin' awesome this game is (like every DMC sans DMC2 and the reboot, DmC), I surfed around on the web and found a couple of interesting new developments Capcom put in the SE of the game that may be hinting towards Devil May Cry 5 happening sooner than we might think.

For one, Capcom is in a much better state financially for making new AAA games (which will only further improve with their upcoming releases, both old and new) and are finally starting to listen to their fans. The proof is in the pudding with their discontinuing of on-disc DLC for Street Fighter V, caving into the fans' desires with a much-anticipated remake of RE2 rebuilt from the ground-up and their supposedly going back to the survival horror roots in the upcoming RE7 which fans have wanted for years.

Now, all signs point to them giving the fans what they want with regards to the DMC series. They know fans hated the reboot (DmC) and want to see a DMC5 featuring the original cast, not DmC2.

After all, they already teased DMC5 in the ending to the DMC4SE on Heaven or Hell Mode:
CH-Z99IUsAA5Q8r.jpg

This was NOT in the original release's ending in HoH Mode, meaning there were no immediate plans for a sequel when it was first released. The second line, "See You Next Devil May Cry" in the HD remaster's HoH ending 7 years later is fairly telling. Moreover, the writing is pretty much already on the wall after the introduction of Nero.

For those of you not in the know, Nero (the main protagonist from DMC4) is actually Vergil, not Dante,'s son. This is confirmed by the Graphic Art 3142 artbook, a Capcom employee during localization and a new cutscene in DMC4SE:

But that's not all, notice the little cliffhanger @ 1:03 at the end there? That's most likely Nero's mother/Vergil's wife. And now that they've just digitally remastered the game with a new cutscene perhaps giving us a small glimpse of who the mother is, it already sets in motion the storyline for the next DMC: a DMC5, featuring Dante and Trish's son. After all, Dante already hinted at having a son in the first game after beating Mundus and showing affection (*cough*HOTS*cough*) for Trish:

Yes, Trish was originally supposed to be Dante's canonical girlfriend according to the creator of DMC, Hideki Kamiya (which BTW, she IS in the DMC manga). Unfortunately, Kamiya left after the first game, causing a change in staff and overall vision for the series going forward which, judging by a new cutscene in DMC4SE, it looks like they may finally be headed in that direction after all, but don't take my word for it:

We're also long overdue for Mundus' inevitable return 3 games later as stated in the DMC1 ending quote above, so the pieces are already in place for a next-gen DMC5: they introduce us to Dante and Trish's son after giving us Vergil's son in DMC4, showcasing all kinds of nifty new abilities to make it interesting (let's face it, a child from these 2 would be insanely OP, more than any DantexLady kid, and give Nero a legit reason to hate Dante like they teased all throughout DMC4), Vergil comes back and reignites his skirmish with Dante, causing a 2 way blood battle (featuring a fully-powered Nero) all throughout the game's main storyline. Then Sparda comes back, finally making his long-awaited series debut, and tries to get the two grand kids to set aside their differences for a far bigger threat looming: the resurrection of Mundus courtesy of Vergil's yet-to-be-named wife, BvS plot: DMC Edition pretty much.
Tell me you wouldn't buy that game on next-gen consoles (assuming you're a console player, of course). :happy:

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
It's kind of funny actually. Capcom had a handbook for business plans that was also posted online. There were 50 pages worth of scans. I saw it on AGB but it's so far back and there is no search bar >.< Anyways Devil May Cry was listed under 2018 and beyond. So we will get one, but not in the immediate future. Maybe not until next generation. Sony expressed interest in bringing back the 4-5 year cycle so that would hit the mark for the PS5. Hopefully we'll see it sooner but Capcom doesn't seem too interested in spamming games out the door anymore. They seem more interested in higher quality titles and a remastered ports (RE HD and 0 are remasters NOT remakes. Higher resolution and nothing more) in between.

As for the Devil May Cry games. I got to disagree about fans being disappointed with DmC. A lot of people were ****ed and didn't like it, a good portion of those people didn't even play it. DmC is probably the least flawed game in the series and served as an excellent prequel to Dante's Awakening (which is universally hailed as the best by fans). Dante felt like Dante, only younger and more naïve. The problem with DMC 4 is the second half of the game is the same as the first in reverse order and backwards. Only this time
Dante actually kills the demons that Nero only defeated.
The game was at least fun and it was received okay-ish by fans. I remember a lot of hate and negativity when it came out, it's a little loosened up these days. I think it wasn't a bad game at all.

Also I never played DMC 2, but doesn't that game take place after DMC 4? There also can be no way the DMC anime is canon. I got the 4 episode preview with my DMC4 collectors edition for 360 and that guy sounds nothing like Dante. Nor acted like him. He was very serious with a deep husky voice. LOL REALLY? Serious and deep voice? Okay then.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
It's kind of funny actually. Capcom had a handbook for business plans that was also posted online. There were 50 pages worth of scans. I saw it on AGB but it's so far back and there is no search bar >.< Anyways Devil May Cry was listed under 2018 and beyond. So we will get one, but not in the immediate future. Maybe not until next generation. Sony expressed interest in bringing back the 4-5 year cycle so that would hit the mark for the PS5. Hopefully we'll see it sooner but Capcom doesn't seem too interested in spamming games out the door anymore. They seem more interested in higher quality titles and a remastered ports (RE HD and 0 are remasters NOT remakes. Higher resolution and nothing more) in between.

As for the Devil May Cry games. I got to disagree about fans being disappointed with DmC. A lot of people were ****ed and didn't like it, a good portion of those people didn't even play it. DmC is probably the least flawed game in the series and served as an excellent prequel to Dante's Awakening (which is universally hailed as the best by fans). Dante felt like Dante, only younger and more naïve. The problem with DMC 4 is the second half of the game is the same as the first in reverse order and backwards. Only this time
Dante actually kills the demons that Nero only defeated.
The game was at least fun and it was received okay-ish by fans. I remember a lot of hate and negativity when it came out, it's a little loosened up these days. I think it wasn't a bad game at all.

Also I never played DMC 2, but doesn't that game take place after DMC 4? There also can be no way the DMC anime is canon. I got the 4 episode preview with my DMC4 collectors edition for 360 and that guy sounds nothing like Dante. Nor acted like him. He was very serious with a deep husky voice. LOL REALLY? Serious and deep voice? Okay then.

Most people who hated DMC 4 hated it for the same reason they hated MGS 2. and for DmC they hated it because Dante doesn't look, Sound or act as the "Dante" they know. As for the Anime well it take place between DMC 1 and DMC 4 and it sorta is canon because it tells how Lady and Trish met and became good friends.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Most people who hated DMC 4 hated it for the same reason they hated MGS 2. and for DmC they hated it because Dante doesn't look, Sound or act as the "Dante" they know. As for the Anime well it take place between DMC 1 and DMC 4 and it sorta is canon because it tells how Lady and Trish met and became good friends.

True but people also hated DMC 4 because the second half was just like the first half. That was the number one complaint I've always heard. As for MGS2. People like it more as time went on. As for DmC I disagree. I felt he was Dante in every way. To me he acted like Dante. Sure he looks different and is younger, but it's all there. The arrogance, the jokes, the immaturity. To me there was no doubt in my mind that he WAS Dante. Younger, but still him.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I've never played DMC 4, but I honestly wouldn't mind a DmC 2... not that I would mind a DMC 5 but I guess I'd be happy with both.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda

DMC4 was well-received, I thought? It's DMC2 that was hated (and rightfully so because it was a terrible game, easily the worst in the series). Also, DmC exists in its own continuity as it's a reboot, meaning no connection to the DMC series whatsoever, which is one of the reasons (actually, probably the main reason) why so many people hated it: Capcom gave the fans a reboot which nobody asked for instead of a DMC5.

As for the whole Dante and Trish's son thing, I know how he could come into the present time as a full-grown adult and have it work: they could give him a time-bending/travel ability. That would explain him meeting up with Dante/Trish/Lady/Nero in the present time, all-grown up only (perhaps) a few years later and give players a cool new ability they can use while playing as him. He could've easily come from many years into the future, past DMC2's timeline even, long after Lady's gone (as she's either dead or an old hag at that point being that she's a human and ages like you or I do, *unlike* Dante and Trish, who are, in fact, demons and age much slower). It would also explain him having a kid with Trish instead of Lady to appease all the DantexLady shippers out there while sorta retconning DMC2 in the process, kill 4 birds with one stone pretty much.

Also, to further distinguish him from the main cast, maybe they could give him platinum blonde hair instead of wholly-white hair like Dante, Nero and Vergil have, showing that he was birthed from the combined genetics of Dante and Trish.

Am I the only one who doesn't find the whole "Dante liking somebody made in the image of his mom (Eva)" thing creepy? Trish only resembles his mom, she's not an exact clone of her. Her face is clearly distinct from his mom's while bearing some of her facial features. Plus, she's hot. Hence, it's not totally inconceivable for Dante to be attracted to Trish.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
DMC4 was well-received, I thought? It's DMC2 that was hated (and rightfully so because it was a terrible game, easily the worst in the series). Also, DmC exists in its own continuity as it's a reboot, meaning no connection to the DMC series whatsoever, which is one of the reasons (actually, probably the main reason) why so many people hated it: Capcom gave the fans a reboot which nobody asked for instead of a DMC5.

As for the whole Dante and Trish's son thing, I know how he could come into the present time as a full-grown adult and have it work: they could give him a time-bending/travel ability. That would explain him meeting up with Dante/Trish/Lady/Nero in the present time, all-grown up only (perhaps) a few years later and give players a cool new ability they can use while playing as him. He could've easily come from many years into the future, past DMC2's timeline even, long after Lady's gone (as she's either dead or an old hag at that point being that she's a human and ages like you or I do, *unlike* Dante and Trish, who are, in fact, demons and age much slower). It would also explain him having a kid with Trish instead of Lady to appease all the DantexLady shippers out there while sorta retconning DMC2 in the process, kill 4 birds with one stone pretty much.

Also, to further distinguish him from the main cast, maybe they could give him platinum blonde hair instead of wholly-white hair like Dante, Nero and Vergil have, showing that he was birthed from the combined genetics of Dante and Trish.

Am I the only one who doesn't find the whole "Dante liking somebody made in the image of his mom (Eva)" thing creepy? Trish only resembles his mom, she's not an exact clone of her. Her face is clearly distinct from his mom's while bearing some of her facial features. Plus, she's hot. Hence, it's not totally inconceivable for Dante to be attracted to Trish.

Interesting to hear DMC4 well received. I was the only one of my friends to like it. I also remember a lot of hate going on about the game, but I for one loved it! So that's my take.

As for DmC.... did you play the game? The game is a prequel, a reboot in a sense, but a prequel. A prequel to Dante's Awakening to be more specific. It's prequel and reboot, it's just ugh.... The post credit ending pretty much a direct connection.. Virgil turns his back on humanity, Dante's hair goes white as he goes super saiyan or something, and that fight was amazing!!!

Also there are rumors for the next Devil May Cry and if you didn't like DmC. You're going to be ****ED. Of course there's are rumors that probably don't hold much water. I mean really. 50 year old Dante on a artifact adventure? Dante: A Devils End?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02...ddle-aged-hero-on-an-indiana-jones-adventure/

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/capcom-developer-wants-a-crossover-between-bayonetta-and-devil-may-cry

Airaku

Stray Jedi
pG4HIVp.jpg

never liked dante in DmC. my two cents.

I defiantly love it. As I continue to state, he was the same Dante I've always loved. I often have troubles understanding why people look at him as a different character? We see him younger and before his time. Dante technically is still a punk when he is older, and still the arrogant asshole we love. Cracking funny jokes at every corner and is incapable of taking anything seriously.

Capcom asked Team Ninja to change Dante and **** everyone off. I think they were successful in their intentions and I think they did a damn good job at it. He was Dante and he was less self-aware, which makes a great origin story for a character. I think the problem most people had was his appearances. He's in his late teens and has not yet recognised his power. He believed his was a human and he was just awakening to reality and the fact he is a nephilim. I fail to see how it can get any more clear than this.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Capcom asked Team Ninja to change Dante

So? Both Hideki Kamiya (Creator of Devil May Cry) and Reuben Langdon (Dante's voice actor since 3 and his most consistent one to date) both expressed their disappointment. I don't think the suits at Capcom know better than them.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
So? Both Hideki Kamiya (Creator of Devil May Cry) and Reuben Langdon (Dante's voice actor since 3 and his most consistent one to date) both expressed their disappointment. I don't think the suits at Capcom know better than them.

Disappointed... sure. But I remember reading (I'm trying to find it) that someone (or multiple people) at Capcom has kindly asked Ninja Theory to make some major changes and **** off the fans. I'm sure that we can both agree that this happened. xD Personally I welcomed the changes, but I think it's unfair for people to pin the blame on Ninja Theory. They are an extremely talented studio with VERY talented people. They were asked to make the game and make the changes. It's Capcom's IP and I am positive that they controlled many aspects over the title, if not the majority of them.

Top Bottom