• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Death Island

Turo602

The King of Kings
I guess the forum works now. This was the exact thread I was trying to make. :LOL:

Honestly, I'm excited for this one. I really enjoyed Vendetta as a fan of both Chris and Leon and as someone who was extremely disappointed in RE6's failure to capitalize on having them in the same game.

There's no real bar for these CGI films as they've been rather inconsequential to the games and have no real connective tissue from one film to another. They're not exactly great movies either, but Vendetta was easily the most fun for exploring a dynamic not yet visited in the games and going full-blown fan-service with it, which for me personally, was a great experience when I saw it in theaters with my brother who was always team Leon to my team Chris.

It is kind of shocking though that they'd even revisit the cliffhanger at the end of Vendetta after Infinite Darkness, let alone a direct sequel with the same cast of characters. This is the kind of thing that's been lacking in the games, and it's a damn shame that we never got stuff like this sooner. Resident Evil 6 would have offered the proper opportunity for this type of stuff, but we got 3 new characters instead, and then 7 and 8 wasted our time with Ethan.

Though, one of the things I've always liked about these movies is how they give us a glimpse of the characters' personal lives, or at the very least, give them more of a personality outside of the usual context shown in the games. So with Jill finally in the mix, I'm looking forward to seeing her dynamic with Chris as people and friends and not just partners, a STARS reunion with Rebecca, and most of all, her first on screen meeting with Leon.

Hopefully, Infinite Darkness gets to continue as a separate "series" on Netflix while they keep making movies like these on the side that actually connect with one another so that the main cast can finally get the proper exposure they've been lacking for so long as opposed to just constantly rotating like they have been in the games and then being either completely ignored or horribly butchered in movies and shows that have absolutely no f*cking clue what Resident Evil is.

For the longest time, it's felt like the name Resident Evil was associated more with zombies and outbreaks than its actual plot and characters. But with Resident Evil being as hot as it is right now, and Chris having been the poster boy for Village, Leon having ushered in the age of survival horror remakes with Resident Evil 2 and still going strong with Resident Evil 4, and now Jill being dusted off after having just headlined her own remake and now carrying over her likeness to this movie, it's about time these characters cement their importance to this franchise and hopefully make their way back to Resident Evil 9.

Ikawaru

Looks good, will be sure to check it out. I've only seen one CGI 'Resident Evil' film, and that is 'Degeneration', which I really enjoyed. Hopefully after the cringe 'WtRC' they'll take this one more seriously. 'Resident Evil' and survival horror in general appears to be on the incline but after 'Village' and 'WtRC' I can't help but be inclined to be a bit cautious on what RE content gets put out. As of now, RE9 is the only 'Resident Evil' piece that I'm itching to see what's all about but I shall go in with reasonable expectations with 'Resident Evil 4 Remake' and 'Death Island'.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Full disclosure: I haven't watched a Resident Evil CG feature since Degeneration. I should probably check out Vendetta and Infinite Darkness just to say that I have but, to be completely honest, I'm not super interested in a Chris/Leon storyline.

Leon has never been a favorite of mine and I think the most I ever liked him was probably the Operation Javier scenario in Darkside Chronicles. I only found him barely tolerable in Degeneration and was rather disappointed that a Claire/Leon teamup quickly became Leon with a side of Claire, who I find to be a bit under-loved as far as characters go.

Chris has been slowly losing me little by little since RE5 and his RE6 scenario gave me mixed feelings about his character direction.

By the time Vendetta came out, I was well and truly done with both and the inclusion of Rebecca, while nice, wasn't a motivating factor for me to watch it.

As for Death Island, I find the trailer mildly interesting and the addition of Jill after such a long absence has me intrigued and thinking that I might check it out based on that alone. (Despite my controversial love for the title, I don't consider RE3R to be a genuine feature of her in the series as, at the end of the day, it's a retelling of an older story and not truly new content for her character.) I am a little confused as to where exactly this movie is supposed to fit though since she looks exactly the same as she did in RE3R and I would think that she would be a bit older. I'm glad that they're still using the same face model though and, as I said, I haven't seen Vendetta so the events of that could definitely be a bit older in terms of canonical timeline than I am presuming.

I honestly feel like, at this point, I've become rather numb to Resident Evil media and I'm just kind of going through the motions with the entire IP. The only thing that could probably excite me is a Code Veronica remake. I don't even think that a brand new game that went back to the original characters and their stories could rouse interest in me; I've been burned too many times before.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The CGI films plus Infinite Darkness have been such a mixed bag for me. Although they're supposed to take place in-between the games they might as well be set in their own alternate timeline, and the overall tone is so far away from horror as it could be. I haven't seen Degeneration, and while I did enjoy parts of both Damnation and Vendetta they're still terrible movies in many ways. I'm not exactly a feminist but the way the women are portrayed in the CGI films is honestly a joke, which is such a disappointment when compared to the balanced structure in the games. They're either left out, passive, useless, or objectified, and I think what they did to Rebecca especially in Vendetta was laughable to say the least. Likewise, the TV show Infinite Darkness was marketed as being a co-op story with Leon and Claire but she was barely in the show at all. The ironic part is that the recent live-action film suffered from the opposite problem by making the men look useless. Why the f**k is it so hard for writers to find some actual balance!?

Now, has this trailer for Death Island piqued my interest? No. It looks like the same silly over-the-top action with bland characters and a bland plot that jumps between scenes without a cohesive structure. Not even seeing my favorite character Jill (who looks just like her RE3 remake self which doesn't make any sense at all) could make me feel the slightest bit of excitement for this. My guess is that she'll pop up in one or two scenes and then make a fool of herself before being rescued by Chris.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Jonipoon Degeneration is more of the same with it being promoted as a Claire/Leon teamup and Claire being pushed a bit to the side in favor of Leon's story. I think it's a decent movie, the tone is fairly accurate and I wouldn't say that Claire is barely in it but how I perceived her treatment is part of the reason I haven't bothered with the other movies.

Ikawaru

My memory is a bit fuzzy, as I have not watched 'Degeneration' since around the time of its release, but I do remember Claire giving a really good performance and I barely remember Leon at all so the thesis that Claire is an underrated character and and Leon/Chris being overrated characters could actually hold some water.

Then again, my opinion has soured on RE4 and RE5 in particular in recent times so for all I know I could watch 'Degeneration' again and have a more lukewarm opinion of it now than I did then so who knows. I do remember Claire being solid in it though, even if her screen time didn't get more than it should have.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Gun Powder B I think that assessment is accurate. Claire's screentime, while lacking in actual runtime, was quality. I think it was very in character for her and a good evolution of who we last saw at the end of Code Veronica. (Which was part of the reason I was a bit put off by her in RER2 but I won't go there.)

Ikawaru

I just watched 'Degeneration' again and my memory was indeed off a bit. Leon certainly takes priority along with Angela Miller, Claire was in it a fair amount but she does feel a bit sidelined aside from a few good personal encounters she has, but all-in-all I felt watching it this time that Leon and Angela steal the show as the protagonists, not Claire. Angela's backstory isn't too bad in how it's portrayed and Leon is still your cliche tough squeaky clean hero good man he was in Re4. Sen. Ron Davis is ok, plays a good "person you love to hate". Fredrick Downing started out pretty good but they ruined his "twist" with really bad dialogue at the end.

I really must be different person now than I was 15 years ago because this time around I barely even noticed Claire at all she felt sort of shoed-in but did notice literally everything else much clearer. Very strange.

So yeah, if past algorithms of these CGI films are anything to go by, expect the male characters in 'Death Island' to take priority as the action heroes and the female characters to play as half-hearted sentimental supporting roles at best.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think what happened with Claire and Rebecca was done to illustrate the fact that their lives are much more normal and so now they play the role of civilian. But considering how hard Ada and Svetlana went in Damnation, I wouldn't worry too much about Jill being sidelined. Especially with a female villain in the movie. Pretty much guaranteed they'll face off.

Ikawaru

Especially with a female villain in the movie.

I'm wondering if it's the return of Natalia aka Alex Wesker ?

Would be interesting, but I can't help but be disappointed that if true, they would just throw it in a film to get it out of the way rather than give us another game/arc as Alex being a new big bad.

Then again, something tells me that having a new omnipotent Wesker villain character in the franchise that spans several titles would be exhausting for sure. Still, another game with Alex Wesker I think would have been nice. Revelations 2 doesn't get the credit it deserves (aside from butchering Claire's personality a little bit).

Last edited:

WeskerLives2015

I'm excited about this. Maybe we will finally see an interaction between Leon and Jill? Also I'm hoping this will be shown in a theater near me.

RipvanX

They are FINALLY having Jill and Claire meet on screen for the first time EVER, along with Jill and Leon interacting. This is the most excited I have been since RE:2 announcement. Even if they look a little too similar to their remake counterparts it is better than never. I was fearing Capcom was going to pull a Disney and avoid any sort of future reunions like with Luke, Han and Leia, but they DID IT, YAHOO!

Jonipoon

It’s probably gonna be a terrible film, but I will still watch it and feel tremendous joy from seeing Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire and Rebecca all together in the same story. Crazy how it took us more than 25 years before experiencing it.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
They are FINALLY having Jill and Claire meet on screen for the first time EVER, along with Jill and Leon interacting. This is the most excited I have been since RE:2 announcement. Even if they look a little too similar to their remake counterparts it is better than never. I was fearing Capcom was going to pull a Disney and avoid any sort of future reunions like with Luke, Han and Leia, but they DID IT, YAHOO!
Yep, it's LONG overdue for both of them. How the hell have the two most important people in Chris (arguably the "face" of the franchise at this point)' life and fellow STARS members (well, Leon was part of a division of STARS, that counts) who were survivors of Raccoon City's destruction who also happen to be the two most popular characters in the franchise, respectively NOT met yet after all this time until now apparently? The mind boggles.

Then again, the mind also boggles how Capcom didn't capitalize on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for character growth with Jill after RE5 and basically treated that huge arc like an afterthought or how many key players Capcom has discarded after one game appearance, which included Rebecca up until the last CGI movie, yet here we are.

I don't have the highest of hopes for the story, but I'm definitely checking it out for Jill-Claire and Jill-Leon, first time ever for both.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Definitely feeling some hype for this movie as we're well past due for an updated story on Jill. I don't expect much from the movie itself, as all the CGI flicks have ranged from bad to awful. But it's exciting to know that this one will let us see that glimpse of these characters all meeting and interacting, and Chris in a Hawaiian shirt. :p

For anyone who may have missed this trailer:

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Maybe, once the film releases, someone can cut the parts where they all meet and talk and present the 5 minute GOLDEN version rather than the 90 minute boring version. Unfortunately I lack the skills to achieve this.

Jonipoon

One thing’s for sure though, they do know how to cut and edit amazing trailers for these CGI films/shows. I mean they fooled me with the trailers for Infinite Darkness, they made it look like a spectacular show with a well-written script, lol.

Ridley Lockhart

I guess the forum works now. This was the exact thread I was trying to make. :LOL:

Honestly, I'm excited for this one. I really enjoyed Vendetta as a fan of both Chris and Leon and as someone who was extremely disappointed in RE6's failure to capitalize on having them in the same game.

There's no real bar for these CGI films as they've been rather inconsequential to the games and have no real connective tissue from one film to another. They're not exactly great movies either, but Vendetta was easily the most fun for exploring a dynamic not yet visited in the games and going full-blown fan-service with it, which for me personally, was a great experience when I saw it in theaters with my brother who was always team Leon to my team Chris.

It is kind of shocking though that they'd even revisit the cliffhanger at the end of Vendetta after Infinite Darkness, let alone a direct sequel with the same cast of characters. This is the kind of thing that's been lacking in the games, and it's a damn shame that we never got stuff like this sooner. Resident Evil 6 would have offered the proper opportunity for this type of stuff, but we got 3 new characters instead, and then 7 and 8 wasted our time with Ethan.

Though, one of the things I've always liked about these movies is how they give us a glimpse of the characters' personal lives, or at the very least, give them more of a personality outside of the usual context shown in the games. So with Jill finally in the mix, I'm looking forward to seeing her dynamic with Chris as people and friends and not just partners, a STARS reunion with Rebecca, and most of all, her first on screen meeting with Leon.

Hopefully, Infinite Darkness gets to continue as a separate "series" on Netflix while they keep making movies like these on the side that actually connect with one another so that the main cast can finally get the proper exposure they've been lacking for so long as opposed to just constantly rotating like they have been in the games and then being either completely ignored or horribly butchered in movies and shows that have absolutely no f*cking clue what Resident Evil is.

For the longest time, it's felt like the name Resident Evil was associated more with zombies and outbreaks than its actual plot and characters. But with Resident Evil being as hot as it is right now, and Chris having been the poster boy for Village, Leon having ushered in the age of survival horror remakes with Resident Evil 2 and still going strong with Resident Evil 4, and now Jill being dusted off after having just headlined her own remake and now carrying over her likeness to this movie, it's about time these characters cement their importance to this franchise and hopefully make their way back to Resident Evil 9.
Okay i only recently heard of Infinite Darkness. It's on my list of things to check out.

I enjoyed Degeneration, Damnation was especially good IMO. And i personally found Vendetta just..meh. Death Island im very interested in although it looks super over the top...Resident Evil Rise Of Ultron or something. Just that last part in the trailer and all the main characters slow motion hopping over or sliding under some giant tentacle thing. Hold the cringey Capcom. Still looks like it'll be a fun watch. Idk they had to make Jill look EXACTLY like she does in RE3R just lazy.

Top Bottom