• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Death Island

Ridley Lockhart

Yep, it's LONG overdue for both of them. How the hell have the two most important people in Chris (arguably the "face" of the franchise at this point)' life and fellow STARS members (well, Leon was part of a division of STARS, that counts) who were survivors of Raccoon City's destruction who also happen to be the two most popular characters in the franchise, respectively NOT met yet after all this time until now apparently? The mind boggles.

Then again, the mind also boggles how Capcom didn't capitalize on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for character growth with Jill after RE5 and basically treated that huge arc like an afterthought or how many key players Capcom has discarded after one game appearance, which included Rebecca up until the last CGI movie, yet here we are.

I don't have the highest of hopes for the story, but I'm definitely checking it out for Jill-Claire and Jill-Leon, first time ever for both.
Perhaps they'll continue the Redfield lineage. Leon/Claire.

Ridley Lockhart

As for Death Island, I find the trailer mildly interesting and the addition of Jill after such a long absence has me intrigued and thinking that I might check it out based on that alone. (Despite my controversial love for the title, I don't consider RE3R to be a genuine feature of her in the series as, at the end of the day, it's a retelling of an older story and not truly new content for her character.) I am a little confused as to where exactly this movie is supposed to fit though since she looks exactly the same as she did in RE3R and I would think that she would be a bit older. I'm glad that they're still using the same face model though and, as I said, I haven't seen Vendetta so the events of that could definitely be a bit older in terms of canonical timeline than I am presuming.

I honestly feel like, at this point, I've become rather numb to Resident Evil media and I'm just kind of going through the motions with the entire IP. The only thing that could probably excite me is a Code Veronica remake. I don't even think that a brand new game that went back to the original characters and their stories could rouse interest in me; I've been burned too many times before.
I feel the same way about getting burned. One time is one time too many.

It is strange to me that Jill has to look exactly like RE3R Jill.to me that's just lazy. Ooh, they added a necklace on her. And as far as i know Death Island takes place AFTER RE5? So she dyed her hair back and cut it short like a soccer mom hairstyle..I actually don't know where Death Island falls in the timeline but I'm surely going to watch it im anxious to see it, Resident Evil: Avengers! Chris Jill, Leon, Claire, Rebecca... we're just missing Barry and Sherry, really. No need to include Sheva she's off busy in Kijuju. Although i can't deny it would be kind of interesting to see her once more, but meh, she can be relegated to those one pop sidekick partners ala Billy Coen(RE0), Carlos Oliveira (RE3)and Sheva Alomar(RE5), then Jake Mueller and Helena Harper(RE6).

Oh yeah and regarding Jill motion capture actor, personally i wish they still were using Julia Voth who was Jill's model for REmake, Umbrella Chronicles, and RE5. Jill Valentine/Julia Voth, same initials, and i love how she seems to have taken a liking to the character and the games. I dunno if she was familiar with RE prior to.

The latest model for Jill looks like "The Quiet Man"

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Just watched the film. I thought it was pretty good, easily the best of the CGI "Action" films and all the characters and the action scenes were reasonably well portrayed and the main villain in this one had an interesting arc. Most of the main characters are all here so if you just want to see them all together you are in for some good stuff but if you are expecting any shocking twists and turns to any of these characters personalities or personal development you will be disappointed.

Still probably not worth watching more than once but I will give credit where its due and say that they have definitely improved this formula and lets hope this is the last of the "Action" RE CGI films and end them on a good note because it's probably impossible to make an RE action film better than this. Let's hope future films, CGI or otherwise, try to steer more towards mystery horror, which is more in tow with the roots of the franchise.

Ridley Lockhart

Just watched the film. I thought it was pretty good, easily the best of the CGI "Action" films and all the characters and the action scenes were reasonably well portrayed and the main villain in this one had an interesting arc. Most of the main characters are all here so if you just want to see them all together you are in for some good stuff but if you are expecting any shocking twists and turns to any of these characters personalities or personal development you will be disappointed.

Still probably not worth watching more than once but I will give credit where its due and say that they have definitely improved this formula and lets hope this is the last of the "Action" RE CGI films and end them on a good note because it's probably impossible to make an RE action film better than this. Let's hope future films, CGI or otherwise, try to steer more towards mystery horror, which is more in tow with the roots of the franchise.
Dang...i was looking to watch it, i saw the options to Rent for 5.99 or Purchase for 14.99. id rather watch it for free lol

Glad you liked it lkawaru. As i was carefully reading just thinking, please no spoilers, please no spoilers! You mention the "Action". I basically expect that from the movies as they are as of now, but the mystery/horror, come on Capcom, is it really going to cost y'all an arm and a leg to give the Fans what they have asked for so long? Cause it seems like pulling teeth requesting what i know i personally want, and even when they try to slip in some fan service it's always sort of a half assed attempt. 4D-Executer may be my favorite as in it's delivery, the pacing, the way it kept me guessing. The gore, everything, it looked almost like a fan made short movie yet i think it has that RE feel more.

If i were to put them in order, minis Death Island cause i haven't watched it:

4D-Executer
Damnation
Degeneration
Vendetta

Death Island
(To Be Determined)

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Saw it Tuesday and I enjoyed it about as much as any of the others. Like Vendetta, I much prefer when there's more characters involved who we don't usually see together and it's what they should have been doing from the beginning. Degeneration was fine for being the first of its kind and we got to see Leon and Claire again right before Resident Evil 5 released. But I remember even back then wishing that it had done more to make its world feel larger which made me disappointed when Damnation came around and just swapped Claire for Ada and that "mystery" guy was just some new character.

The stories are never nothing to write home about though and I'm honestly okay with that. I get why they wouldn't want supplemental lore to intertwine too deeply with the video games, so I actually appreciated Death Island being treated as a direct sequel to Vendetta because it sort of justifies these movies existing as their own separate piece of lore to the games when they're at least building on top of each other like a series. It's more fan service than anything else, so I don't understand why some people criticize these films like they're mainstream movies made for a mass audience. I enjoy them for what they are and as a fan of the classic characters, it's cool being able to see them existing outside the context of the games.

With all that being said, I do still have certain gripes with some of the characterization in the movie, mainly Chris and Jill. I get what they were going for by giving Jill some trouble getting back into the BSAA after what she's been through, but for her to act cold towards Chris about it and having Chris act as her superior just didn't sit right with me after everything they've been through and how close they're supposed to be. Though I did enjoy that they referenced important stuff that happened in the games, but there was no real resolution to this arc either and it's actually ignored for the rest of the film, which was pretty disappointing. That is unless they have plans for Jill in the future that will cover this exact plot point.

I also found myself missing Roger Craig Smith really bad here given the high stakes and personal predicament the characters are put through in this movie. I thought Kevin Dorman was a fine replacement in Vendetta, especially after how terrible he's been sounding in the games, but he just doesn't have the emotional range that Roger Craig Smith gave Chris and part of it could be the writing too, but Chris was definitely one of the weaker things in this movie for me, especially as a big Chris Redfield fan.

Leon on the other hand is a definite highlight. I've always liked Matt Mercer in the role and in this film, Leon's personality is a lot closer to his personality in RE4, which if I'm not mistaken, is a first for Matt Mercer who has usually portrayed him a lot more seriously. Though, I will say, they gotta stop with the whole Leon on bikes stuff. Leon is already cool, the guy doesn't need motorcycles and sunglasses to convey that and it's borderline Fast and the Furious-like nonsense.

Jill is the clear central protagonist and like Leon, another highlight of the film despite her rather sour attitude in the beginning. Seeing both Jill and Leon on screen together for the first time is one of the reasons I don't mind these movies existing, especially when the games keep failing on capitalizing on such moments, and their chemistry in the sewers was great. Also liked the nods to Alien 3 and Jurassic Park they did with Jill. I know these aren't like the most high budget movies, which is why they likely just ripped Jill's model from RE3, and while the casual outfit made sense for the majority of the film, I couldn't help but notice how out of place it was in her introductory scene where she's literally on a BSAA mission in just pants and a tank top. Thought that was really funny.

As for Rebecca and Claire, they're kinda just there, though Rebecca definitely has more to do in this one than in Vendetta where she played the damsel in distress, which thankfully doesn't happen here. Claire is a lot more involved with the plot than Rebecca and even has her fair share of action, but like Rebecca, sits out the final confrontation despite the epic Avengers-like shot in the trailer. I actually really liked this dynamic though as it highlights the differences in each character, which is evident during the epic prison shootout where Claire, while competent and can handle her own, unlike in Infinite Darkness, still takes the role of protector, while Chris and Jill handle business. So it's good to see some care being taken into consideration with these characters rather than just treating them like action figures and having them all do absurd things like in The Fast and the Furious.

Though, speaking of Claire, her involvement in the movie actually highlights my criticism of Chris here. Some pretty heavy stuff happens involving both of them and he doesn't really come off concerned or worried for her, which goes against what we know about their relationship in the games. Sure, we know she's a badass veteran when it comes to this stuff, but she's still his little sister and apparently treats her as such, and this film doesn't really highlight that they're siblings in any way. Which is a shame because having Chris and Claire together in a modern game and a Jill and Leon team up are things I've longed for in the games for years now, and while this movie made good on Jill and Leon, they really dropped the ball on Chris and Claire's dynamic.

RipvanX

I liked the movie as well, definitely better than Vendetta and ID for me. The Jill X Leon scenes were definitely the best parts. This was a pure fanservice movie so I can forgive it for some of its shortcomings. It’s crazy to think Chris and Claire have not interacted in 23 years on screen since CV. I didn’t like that Leon and Claire had no real interaction, after Infinite Darkness souring their relationship, they should of followed up in this but whatever.

I’m glad Dylan had more depth than other villains and he was serviceable for the most part. Maria on the other hand felt pointless and her death amounted up to nothing. She could of mutated or something. As for Dylan’s monster form it really was just a giant pile of garbage lol. All it did was stand there and fling it’s tentacles once and a while and roared. It could of had more abilities like HAOS but he was simply a placeholder for all our heroes to beat up.

After the string of media that was RE:3, RE8, ID, WTRC, and Netflix show; RE hit a new low for me and I grew numb and cold towards RE for a minute. Death Island and to a lesser extent RE:4 helped me warm up to the franchise again. The behind the scenes footage gave me hope they will use the legacy characters more in the future but if not… this was a decent sendoff before they move on to something completely new.

Last edited:

Lithium

I didn’t like that Leon and Claire had no real interaction, after Infinite Darkness souring their relationship, they should of followed up in this but whatever.
Well, it would be nice to see this onscreen, but Death Island wouldn't have been the right place for that. Infinite Darkness took place in 2006 and Death Island in 2015. That's a 9 year gap. In between that, there must have been some interaction between Leon and Claire, just look at the Resident Evil 6 "Chris and Leon" file (found in Chapter 4 of Chris' story).

I liked the movie overall. It's fun to watch and I love what they did with the characters.

Last edited:

Mr.R

Most people already said pretty much what I think of the movie. For me, it was like Vendetta, dumb and fun and I loved it (in a sense, Degeneration, Damnation and even Infinite Darkness were more grounded movies, in regard to their action scenes, but I can't deny I love seeing RE characters doing super hero stunts like in Vendetta and Death Island).

Also...best part of the movie:
"Zero"
"What?"
"You wanted to know how many of them..."
Jill's urge to roll her eyes got me chuckling and...that's the Leon I like it. And while I kinda liked Apostolidis as Leon in the RE4R, I still think they should keep Mercer as an older, more savyy Leon. I don't think they will do that, but Mercer is my favorite Leon VA. And talking about VA's, I think Nicole Tompkins was the breath of fresh air Jill needed to rise a bit. Ever since the original RE3, Jill always had some monotone, kind of boring voices in most games she was in (Patricia Ja Lee in RE5 was okay-ish but...still not great, and even Michelle Ruff, who's a very competent voice actor sounded so 'meh' in Revelations) and I've been loving Nicole's portrayal of Jill. To close on the VA thing, I also again agree with @Turo602 about missing Roger Craig Smith. You can see Kevin Dorman is trying to sound a bit like Roger, but his voice doesn't have the same impact. I know Roger isn't coming back, so I think they should keep Jeff Schine as Chris. It's not perfect, but it's better than Kevin and the guy from RE7.

Ikawaru

(in a sense, Degeneration, Damnation and even Infinite Darkness were more grounded movies, in regard to their action scenes, but I can't deny I love seeing RE characters doing super hero stunts like in Vendetta and Death Island).

The f*ck are you smoking? Calling these films. especially 'Damnation' anything "grounded" is like calling RE4, RE5, and RE6 pure survival horror games. I got nothing but DC/Marvel comic vibes from them, with RE aesthetics.

RipvanX

The f*ck are you smoking? Calling these films. especially 'Damnation' anything "grounded" is like calling RE4, RE5, and RE6 pure survival horror games. I got nothing but DC/Marvel comic vibes from them, with RE aesthetics.
And that's bad why? Because action bad? The most RE has ever been "grounded" was the first 2 games, the rest of this franchise has "jumped the shark" in more ways than one. RE doesn't need to be "pure" survival horror to be good. RE5 is still the best selling game for a reason, actions sells and that is 100% truth. I hate it but Paul Anderson movies still sold like hot cakes. Same applies to the CGI movies; if it was all just "pure survival" it would get boring, there needs to be a balance between both action and survival. Creating a divide between survival and action fans in this fandom is an ancient argument that only breeds arrogance and toxicity that needs to be abandoned.

Ikawaru

Too much action is for dumb dumbs, needs a balanced diet. It's like saying Coca Cola is the better beverage because it sells more than coconut milk, therefore Coca Cola is good and just.

No, action is mandatory in a video game of course, like carbohydrates are mandatory for your body to function, but you need other essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for the best overall healthy diet, same logic applies to games.

This logic does not mitigate the fact there's nothing "grounded" about any of the CGI films (though I can't comment on 'Infinite Darkness' because I have not seen it). There's definitely more sugar in these films than that of Vitamin K, selenium, Iodide, manganese, and protein. :)

Last edited:

RipvanX

That was not the response I expected but ok xD If I had to describe RE8 from a vitamin perspective it almost gave me diabetes and quit RE. Nothing wrong with getting a sugar high once and a while, but I really don't get the whole grounded approach when RE itself has always been ridiculous. This is why RE became so special to a lot of people because it has a lot of flavors like a candy shop. Saying it should be "this" or "that" is pointless because no one will ever agree. I just want them to pass on the torch before we get another 4 years of Ethan-esque games. The Shadows of Rose alone taking place in 2037 is bad enough like there's nothing left to invest in besides Chris' wolf hound squad...ugh. SO at least Death Island provides some closure if they decide to abandon the legacy characters going forward.

Ikawaru

Saying it should be "this" or "that" is pointless because no one will ever agree.

I guess we can agree to that! I remember being shocked around the time that RE3 came out that there was people who hated RE1 but loved RE2, and people who hated RE4 which I enjoyed immensely at time, despite also loving RE1, 2, and 3, but now I despise RE4, 5, and 6 even more than RE7 and 8 but still think RE7 and 8 leave a lot to be desired. xD

I guess the only consistent opinion I have is that I still love the classic trilogy and CV and anyone who hates any of the those classics or thinks any later game is better can go to Hell. It's good to have a baseline standard on certain things. I do think CV is a tad overrated though, especially in regards to the story and the characters.

Unknown

The movie was entertaining enough, but it’s treatment of characters was questionable.

Jill is clearly the lead here, and if you like your women masculine and speaking to men like crap, you will love Jill here. Every scene of her is all about showing us how amazingly awesome she is. Jill is awesome, you do know that right? Hey, did you hear me? Jill Valentine is a badass. Understand? Helloooo, Jill is a badass who takes no crap. And she’s awesome. Do you realise how badass and awesome Jill Valentine is?

Chris wasn’t treated very well. It’s like Capcom don’t even like him and are intentionally trying to put him in a bad light or something, given how poorly they’ve treated his character lately. They have Jill scoff at him, Rebecca basically tells him him to stfu, then he gets infected and roasted harder than anyone by Dylan. Someone on the production team didn’t like Chris.

I’m surprised Leon got his ass handed to him, but Capcom made sure he was still Mr. Cool and of course they gave him top billing. It’s rather embarrassing for Jill that she lost her top billing to Leon. It’s slightly embarrassing for Chris too. Both OG STARS and Leon gets put above both of them.

Claire was surprisingly well portrayed, I just wish she’d have got more focus instead of Jill. Claire’s such a better character.

I hope that with the departure of Kobayashi (Leon’s personal f*ck sleeve) we can get a film without Leon in it for once. Maybe a film about Chris and Jill, or Claire. Just hope Jill goes back to being a sweet and endearing woman and lays off Chris’s testosterone injections.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Saw it last night. It was okay, definitely better than Vendetta and loads of times better than that piece of trash Infinite Darkness.

Pros: Good pacing, quick and to the point with the material. No funny business. Nothing illogical, except that there was no explanation given as to why Maria Gomez suddenly worked for Dylan after the last film.
Cons: Bland character development, as expected. Jill was exactly like her RE3 remake self which to me isn't the real Jill Valentine, but the impostor Jane Valentine.

I liked how the bad guy tried to hold our main leads accountable for their actions, especially Chris, by saying that they've let so many others die before them - yet they always survive and make it out alive. That was an interesting concept, but unfortunately it wasn't explored enough. Likewise, the story flirts with the idea of big corporations and government organizations being the true villains, including the ones our main leads work for, but they do nothing with it.

Lastly, I do wonder if this film is building up to something that Capcom has planned for a future game with all of the big leads, but I highly doubt it. TMS Entertainment is not directly affiliated with the gaming department within Capcom, so I think this film was a one-off.

Top Bottom