• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Critic RE Rankings (Metatcritic)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I am a fan of reviewing items on Metacritic, so I thought I would investigate and share the Rankings by the Critics along with the User Rankings. Remember, all of these games and ranked at the time of release and may not reflect rankings by current standards. Do you agree with their lists? Why or why not?

1. RE4 (GC) - CRITIC SCORE: 96 - User Score: 9/10
2. REmake (GC) - CRITIC SCORE: 91 - User Score: 9.2/10
3. RE2 Remake (PS4) - CRITIC SCORE: 91 - User Score: 9/10
4. Resident Evil Original - CRITIC SCORE: 91 - User Score 9/10
5. RE2 Original (PS) - CRITIC SCORE: 8.9 - User Score: 9.2/10
6. RE7 (PS4) - CRITIC SCORE: 86 - User Score: 7.9/10
7. RECVX (PS2) - CRITIC SCORE: 84 - User Score: 8.5/10
8. RE5 (PS3) - CRITIC SCORE: 84 - User Score: 7.5/10
9. RE0 (GC) - CRITIC SCORE: 83 - User Score: 8.7/10
10. RE: Revelations (3DS) - CRITIC SCORE: 82 - User Score: 8.4/10
11. RE: Revelations 2 (PS4) - CRITIC SCORE: 75 - User Score: 7.6/10
12. RE6 (PS3) - CRITIC SCORE: 74 - User Score: 5.5
13. REOUTBREAK (PS2) - CRITIC SCORE: 71 - User Score: 8.4/10
14. REOUTBREAK FILE #2 (PS2) - CRITIC SCORE: 58 - User Score: 8/10
15. RE: ORC (XBOX360) - CRITIC SCORE: 52 - User Score: 4.9

I did not include RE3 because for some reason the Playstation Version is not included, only the Dreamcast which is unfair to it's legacy. I didn't include The Chronicles games either because they were strange.

Honestly, I think the Revelations games are getting shafted to a degree here! haha

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Well Jim, with all the remakes potentially in the future, you'll be able to have your cake and eat it too.
As in, be able to enjoy the old games, but have modern gaming conventions attached too. haha

Jimbeamjunior

Well Jim, with all the remakes potentially in the future, you'll be able to have your cake and eat it too.
As in, be able to enjoy the old games, but have modern gaming conventions attached too. haha

That'll do me, i loved the resi remake, especially as they added bits to it which i didnt know, ran round to the supposed dead end where ken met his demise, only to find another bloody wing to the mansion lol

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Well, Jim - slightly off topic - I think I am detecting some kind of UK speech in your typing.

I am from the US, but my fiancee and I are having a vacation to Edinburgh, Inverness, and London in two weeks. If you have any specific knowledge (Like I said, I am making leap here), is there anything fun I shouldn't miss in any of these historic places? Additionally - Is there specific gaming culture things you may know of?

Sorry if I am way off base. haha. But thanks all the same.

On topic - I did enjoy the feel of the old games, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about better control schemes in the future installments!

Jimbeamjunior

Well, Jim - slightly off topic - I think I am detecting some kind of UK speech in your typing.

I am from the US, but my fiancee and I are having a vacation to Edinburgh, Inverness, and London in two weeks. If you have any specific knowledge (Like I said, I am making leap here), is there anything fun I shouldn't miss in any of these historic places? Additionally - Is there specific gaming culture things you may know of?

Sorry if I am way off base. haha. But thanks all the same.

On topic - I did enjoy the feel of the old games, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about better control schemes in the future installments!

Im from glasgow mate but been to edinburgh a few times and london once as a tourist, edinburgh has the castle obviously but definitely try the dungeons and if you have time and the weather is alright do the open top bus tour

As for london, definitely do the bus and boat live commentary tour, i found london fascinating when i went there and your tour ticket allows you to jump off the bus at locations and back on (as long as its the same bus tour company)

Plenty restaurants in both locations, you wont run oit of things to do

As for gaming culture, not sure about anything, sure there must be something but

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Hey Jimbeam, Thanks for the input! I will be sure to show my fiancee and traveling companions this info.

On our next trip to Scotland, my fiancee and I are going to be specifically targeting Glasgow, Loch Lomond, and Isle of Skye. But that's in a few years! MAYBE 2022.

Jimbeamjunior

If you go to glasgow during the football season, try and take in a rangers game at ibrox, oh and if you like indian food or wanna try it, (i maybe biased here) but glasgow has some of the best indian restaurants in britain

Loch lomond is beautiful, in any weather, plenty of lovely hotels around it that look after tourists, and the food in they hotels is outstanding (steak dinners to die for)

Turo602

The King of Kings
Why does Resident evil 4 get so much hate despite universal acclaim?

Because it's the game that killed the franchise for many fans of the classic games. The game itself is undeniably great, but for Resident Evil fans, it completely reinvented what a Resident Evil game was by becoming accessible for newcomers.

Rather than having to think too hard about puzzle solutions or memorize the map too much, you're now given a linear path to follow with puzzles that consist of placing 2 pieces together that can be found in the same area the puzzle is in. They tried to change the way you experience horror by swarming you with intelligent enemies that can use tools and work together to defeat you, but accessibility won out and what we ended up with was something way more action oriented and not so scary. Not to mention, they completely brushed away the plot that the series had been building to at the very start of the game, so that it could be fresh for newcomers.

We were also originally shown a much scarier game more in line with the rest of the series but also very different, that was about taking down Umbrella. So try to imagine the disappointment of a Resident Evil fan despite the rest of the world just being happy that they can finally play a Resident Evil game they don't suck at, all while having the audacity to call it the best survival horror game, despite it being their first one.

SentryUnit

Because it's the game that killed the franchise for many fans of the classic games. The game itself is undeniably great, but for Resident Evil fans, it completely reinvented what a Resident Evil game was by becoming accessible for newcomers.

Rather than having to think too hard about puzzle solutions or memorize the map too much, you're now given a linear path to follow with puzzles that consist of placing 2 pieces together that can be found in the same area the puzzle is in. They tried to change the way you experience horror by swarming you with intelligent enemies that can use tools and work together to defeat you, but accessibility won out and what we ended up with was something way more action oriented and not so scary. Not to mention, they completely brushed away the plot that the series had been building to at the very start of the game, so that it could be fresh for newcomers.

We were also originally shown a much scarier game more in line with the rest of the series but also very different, that was about taking down Umbrella. So try to imagine the disappointment of a Resident Evil fan despite the rest of the world just being happy that they can finally play a Resident Evil game they don't suck at, all while having the audacity to call it the best survival horror game, despite it being their first one.

Yep I can see why true fans hated it. Well to be honest I enjoyed the game a lot but I agree it did feel more like an action game rather than survival horror.

Instead of saving up ammo also being more efficent and effective the game just throws lots of ammo its like the game was made for you to be unstoppable.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Why does Resident evil 4 get so much hate despite universal acclaim?

Well, because... not every person's individual taste has to reflect the universal reception, I guess? :confused: I'm one of the people who accept it as a Resident Evil, but don't like it very much as a game. The controls, the locations, the story, the characters... None of it cuts it for me.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Hey, I understand the criticisms from people. But I still love the game. It is really addictive to play.
RE4 and RE2 are the only games in the series I have played more than 4 times each.

RE4 definitely has its moment of ridiculous moments: The Statue Chase, The Knight Traps, The Machine Gun Painting Lounge. But I think it is part of the charm.

I mean, my least favorite moment in RE History is from CVX - The fighter between Wesker and Chris at the end, but I hate it because it ripped off The Matrix. Like everything did in this time period. But CVX is still a great game!

D

Deleted member 21244

You should have put umbrella chronicles and darkside chronicles since you put operation raccon city and it's unfair since both chronicles are great game and Canon game while operation raccon city is not even Canon and not that good

Ayen

Resident Critic
Those rankings for each title sounds about right to tell you the truth. I'm not a fan of RE4 because of the story turns it took with taking out Umbrella in a cut-scene instead of giving us a game where they actually take out the Umbrella corporation, but I didn't mind the gameplay that much.

RE6 score doesn't surprise me, but I greatly enjoyed Sherry Birkin's scenario in that game.

Reactions: Jen
D

Deleted member 21244

Those rankings for each title sounds about right to tell you the truth. I'm not a fan of RE4 because of the story turns it took with taking out Umbrella in a cut-scene instead of giving us a game where they actually take out the Umbrella corporation, but I didn't mind the gameplay that much.

RE6 score doesn't surprise me, but I greatly enjoyed Sherry Birkin's scenario in that game.
At least They later release umbrella chronicles the game where they take out umbrella corporation

D

Deleted member 21244

Did they? I don't have a Wii so I wasn't able to play that yet.
Yes umbrella chronicles explain how umbrella collapsed...
They explain many backstory about umbrella wesker and many other character...
The last scenario see Jill and Chris assault the last of umbrella stranghold in Russia to take it down, at the same time wesker infiltrate into the Russian facility to take all of umbrella data for himself...
This scenario take place one years before resident evil 4

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
The Umbrella Chronicles is also the game that introduces Red Queen into the games' canon. A little random, and we don't really hear from it again until Revelations 2's Raid Mode which is a Red Queen Alpha simulation.

The other Wii railshooter The Darkside Chronicles touches more upon Leon and Krauser's history ontop of abridged tellings of RE2 and CVX so it fills in all the cracks left by Resident Evil 4 by making a mini Wii trilogy. I still wonder how the plot would have turned out had Shinji Mikami stayed with the series was able to complete whatever plans he may have had for 4-5-6.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yes umbrella chronicles explain how umbrella collapsed...
They explain many backstory about umbrella wesker and many other character...
The last scenario see Jill and Chris assault the last of umbrella stranghold in Russia to take it down, at the same time wesker infiltrate into the Russian facility to take all of umbrella data for himself...
This scenario take place one years before resident evil 4

Which was a cheap cop out anyway. Who the hell played through Resident Evil 2 and Code Veronica and expected it was all culminating to a scenario of an on-rails spin-off game on a primitive and gimmicky console? That's like a slap to the face on top of the gut punch RE4 delivered.:lol:

Top Bottom