• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Capcom: Stay tuned for Resident Evil 7

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Heard that Capcom are talking about VR. I hope that they make it optional. I hate VR so bad :(

What you say is true. They hinted that it may be an RE game but it was something that was stated as a possibility based on a question from an interviewer that said something along the lines, but in correctly quoted "Resident Evil is known for taking advantage of the latest technology of consoles and pushing it to new heights. With the rise of VR will the series take advantage of this technology?" The guy from Capcom stated that it is very true that the Resident Evil games do that. However he stated as far as VR goes it is a concept they are playing with. Nothing more!!!

What Capcom DID do was have a playable demo of a game called"Project Kitchen" for the Playsation VR. No one knows if it is it's own stand alone game or an RE game. People have brought points forward for both arguments. The game is a survival horror and people were scared ****less, and not a PR stunt like "The Evil Within" was. One girl was literally crying while playing, begging them to take the headset off because she was going into shock. I've heard claims that it is the scariest video game ever by a long shot. From what I've heard of what happens in game... I'm not even sure if they would ever release it. A lot of people would avoid the game but I for one would like to see it released. I would love to see what all the rage is about, but I can't say that being literally be tortured and in a situation like a SaW film would be the most pleasant experience. Watching a guy die infront of you as some crazy mutated bitch cuts herself and slices her tongue in half as she creeps upon you while your tied up into a chair as the room around you is burning down... is pleasant. Then apparently the dying NPC who is also tied up is begging for his life, screaming in horror as he tries to crawl away and escape. He dies and then you literally get stabbed by the crazy woman repeatedly and start to drown in your own blood as you finally get to try and crawl away... bleeding to death after being stabbed a dozen or so times. You don't die so I assume you get away but... the game is essentially a torture simulator as the crazy girl sharpens her knife with your bones. You know what they say about women, their great in the kitchen! The is girl gets the memo!

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
The way I understood Capcom's official word is that they are giving VR a try as well as making the normal console games. They aren't likely to go for broke on VR just yet. They still want to make money, and while there is a market for VR, it is very niche. Sounds to me like they're hedgeing their bets for the time being, which is a smart move.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
The way I understood Capcom's official word is that they are giving VR a try as well as making the normal console games. They aren't likely to go for broke on VR just yet. They still want to make money, and while there is a market for VR, it is very niche. Sounds to me like they're hedgeing their bets for the time being, which is a smart move.

Well that article seems to enforce what I was saying. Also from what I understand I heard that Capcom is spending a lot of money on their new engine for VR. They are trying to go for photo-realism and use real world photography incorporated in it. This sounds like they may push toward a "Project Kitchen" like game if not release it. It sounds like it has a high budget behind it.

Of course Capcom wants to still make money but they are shifting to a commitment of pushing higher quality games over more quantity. They are caring deeply about their image and repairing what they lost a few years back with their greed streak. This undoubtly will result in them making less as they are giving more than they are taking. They consider Revelations 2 to be a success at something like 1.2 million sales (I think that was it) and yet they are the same company that was ****ed off that RE6 only sold roughly around 6 million copies and expected it to be more like RE5's 10+ million copies. Now they are taking a new take on DLC with Street Fight V when they were pretty much the ones to introduce on disk DLC. I think Capcom is fast on track to be one of the most respected publishers in gaming. It will cost them a hit, but who knows, maybe in the end they will hit the jackpot.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
They could be close...BUT I don't think they'll make the 20th anniversary. They avoided all together. Capcom doesn't do that very often so either...

A.) Development is crapped/not started/good enough

B.) They're actually trying to surprise us.

Scrumpeh

Sleepy Person
Premium
Heard that Capcom are talking about VR. I hope that they make it optional. I hate VR so bad :(
To be honest, I highly doubt they would go that route. Not for Resident Evil 7, at least. I wouldn't want to buy a $500-$600 VR headset just to play a single game. I know it's Resident Evil, and I love it to death (Or undeath :p) but there is no way I would buy a really expensive VR set for it.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
So how would people react if RE7 was an NX exclusive?
(which it obviously isn't because RE7 has been in development for so long. Though to give that the benefit of the doubt. They could have taken what they had port it, recode it, and rebuilt it. In addition I assume that major Japanese devs like Capcom and Square Enix got the dev kits a little earlier. They have now been in the hands of pretty much all the major publishers for the last few days and the reception has been quite positive in unexpected ways.)

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
^I'd go ape****, and NOT in a good way, either, but it's obviously not gonna happen, so it's a moot point.

However, a more likely scenario would be them pulling a Square-Enix ROTTR deal and saying it's an Xbox One exclusive after indicating it would be multiplat despite the game being on PS for so many years and selling more on Sony platforms. It's no secret that Capcom is low on money and can barely afford to make games on their own anymore, hence them needing MS's help on Dead Rising 3, Nintendo's help on Monster Hunter 4 and Sony's help on Street Fighter V, so it's possible they're having trouble making RE7 as well, though it's supposedly been in development since 2012, BEFORE their money problems began, so maybe not. It should already be close to finishing up by now, so their low resources shouldn't be a problem.

Plus, they wouldn't keep arguably their biggest franchise away from Sony seeing how they have a strong partnership with them. Hell, Capcom actually came to Sony for SFV (their second biggest franchise), not the other way around like so many believe.

With this and SFV bound to sell millions, they should be in much better shape financially to make AAA games in the future, which means we can start seeing DMC5, new Dino Crisis, etc.

Last edited:

Gar Bageman

Given Capcom's current attachment to Sony (with Street Fighter V and Umbrella Corps. being console exclusive to PS4), I'd say the most likely scenario would be RE7 being exclusive to PS4 if anything. Same goes for REmake2. The reality is that the Japanese market doesn't care about Microsoft/XBox. The only reason they got a lot of timed exclusivity last generation was that MS was in the position to pay for it (much like Sony is now).

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
^True that.

Plus, Sony would most likely match any offer MS would throw at Capcom making RE7 an XB1 exclusive. With Tomb Raider, the situation was a little bit different: they already had their own AAA action-adventure game in Uncharted 4 coming out and knew they could still get ROTTR, albeit at a later time, being that they have the much larger fanbase and marketshare on their system, so they didn't put up the money to match the offer, because they didn't necessarily need to.

Sony are also helping Capcom make Deep Down, a free-to-play online action-adventure game, plus at least one more yet-to-be-announced exclusive title from them (please be a new Dino Crisis!) similar to the new PS4 console-exclusive KojiPro game that's just been announced.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Given Capcom's current attachment to Sony (with Street Fighter V and Umbrella Corps. being console exclusive to PS4), I'd say the most likely scenario would be RE7 being exclusive to PS4 if anything. Same goes for REmake2. The reality is that the Japanese market doesn't care about Microsoft/XBox. The only reason they got a lot of timed exclusivity last generation was that MS was in the position to pay for it (much like Sony is now).
Actually, while I agree with most of this, I'd say REmake 2 is likely to be a Nintendo exclusive over Sony exclusive, not that I think it would EVER be an elusive anyway. They non-main titles and REmakes almost ALWAYS came to Nintendo first. Revelations. REmake. Chronicles games. So seeing as REmake2 isn't a main entry, it'd probably be for Nintendo. Capcom and Nintendo have been buddies for a long time after all. But again, since it won't be an exclusive, I guess it doesn't really matter.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
With the "stay tuned" announcement, I'm guessing it'll officially be unveiled at E3 this year. #OneCanOnlyHope.

Gar Bageman

Actually, while I agree with most of this, I'd say REmake 2 is likely to be a Nintendo exclusive over Sony exclusive, not that I think it would EVER be an elusive anyway. They non-main titles and REmakes almost ALWAYS came to Nintendo first. Revelations. REmake. Chronicles games. So seeing as REmake2 isn't a main entry, it'd probably be for Nintendo. Capcom and Nintendo have been buddies for a long time after all. But again, since it won't be an exclusive, I guess it doesn't really matter.
In past generations (or if we were talking Monster Hunter), I would have been totally with you, no questions asked! Now, not so much. I know that the NX is a thing that is actually going to exist, but right now, it's Wii U or nothing as far as Nintendo consoles go. Though I'm sure the NX will narrow the power gulf Nintendo find themselves in behind Sony and Microsoft, I am also sure they'll put up one stupid, gimmicky barrier or another. Likely in the form of another motion controller of some kind. On top of that, there is also the issue of attach rate. Everybody and their mother seems to have bought a PS4 or are planning on doing so soon, and the numbers just keep growing. This means Sony are slowly cornering the market, even with the Xbox One not being a complete failure. Another new console popping up after the amount of time that has passed since the new generation started won't be welcomed with open arms by the average consumer, regardless of its quality. This means that Nintendo face a steep, uphill battle, and I just don't know that they're up to the challenge these days.

Don't get me wrong, I very much love Nintendo, but they simply don't have the draw they once did. This means they also don't have the power they once did. And though they and Capcom have been buddies for a long time, so have Capcom and Sony (as is evidenced by the depth of their current working relationship). Sony does have the power. My read on Nintendo's situation is that they are in a similar position to Sega's when they made the Dreamcast. Only they likely don't have the third-party support Sega did (they certainly don't for the Wii U, at the very least). As for Capcom, they want to make the most money they can. They want the widest release they can get. They'll get that with Sony, and all available evidence very much points to them courting it. So, for now, I'll continue operating on the thought that, should any of the two RE games we're discussing have any sort of console exclusivity, it'll be with the Sony, not Nintendo.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
In past generations (or if we were talking Monster Hunter), I would have been totally with you, no questions asked! Now, not so much. I know that the NX is a thing that is actually going to exist, but right now, it's Wii U or nothing as far as Nintendo consoles go. Though I'm sure the NX will narrow the power gulf Nintendo find themselves in behind Sony and Microsoft, I am also sure they'll put up one stupid, gimmicky barrier or another. Likely in the form of another motion controller of some kind. On top of that, there is also the issue of attach rate. Everybody and their mother seems to have bought a PS4 or are planning on doing so soon, and the numbers just keep growing. This means Sony are slowly cornering the market, even with the Xbox One not being a complete failure. Another new console popping up after the amount of time that has passed since the new generation started won't be welcomed with open arms by the average consumer, regardless of its quality. This means that Nintendo face a steep, uphill battle, and I just don't know that they're up to the challenge these days.

Don't get me wrong, I very much love Nintendo, but they simply don't have the draw they once did. This means they also don't have the power they once did. And though they and Capcom have been buddies for a long time, so have Capcom and Sony (as is evidenced by the depth of their current working relationship). Sony does have the power. My read on Nintendo's situation is that they are in a similar position to Sega's when they made the Dreamcast. Only they likely don't have the third-party support Sega did (they certainly don't for the Wii U, at the very least). As for Capcom, they want to make the most money they can. They want the widest release they can get. They'll get that with Sony, and all available evidence very much points to them courting it. So, for now, I'll continue operating on the thought that, should any of the two RE games we're discussing have any sort of console exclusivity, it'll be with the Sony, not Nintendo.
IDK...I think you might be underestimating Nintendo...In a lot of gaming circles, NX is all they're talking about. Especially since Nintendo has been dropping their NX info little by little all over Facebook, and the view are enormous. Yeah, the new generation of gaming just started...For PS4 and XBox...The WiiU has been out for almost 4 years now. By the time that the NX actually DOES come out, it won't seem like Nintendo is over saturating the market. And, it their claims are actually true, it's going to be a return to hard core gaming, with capabilities rivaling the other two systems. And on top of that, WiiU did see third party AAA games. CoD Ghosts, Batman Arkham Knights, Rayman Legends, and Fatal Frame have all been featured on the WiiU. The third party gaming is a lot more heavy in Japan when it comes to WiiU, which makes sense, considering they're a Japanese company...

Turo602

The King of Kings
I highly doubt Capcom would minimize their sales for Resident Evil 7 by making it an exclusive. Resident Evil is their flagship franchise and unless anyone paid top dollar for it, it's not happening. But given the whole situation with Street Fighter V, they could be in even worse condition than we previously thought. So who knows?

With the "stay tuned" announcement, I'm guessing it'll officially be unveiled at E3 this year. #OneCanOnlyHope.

I predict sooner. If we're lucky, we get something before the release of Resident Evil 0 HD (which is probably too hopeful) or sometime after but definitely before E3.

IDK...I think you might be underestimating Nintendo...In a lot of gaming circles, NX is all they're talking about. Especially since Nintendo has been dropping their NX info little by little all over Facebook, and the view are enormous. Yeah, the new generation of gaming just started...For PS4 and XBox...The WiiU has been out for almost 4 years now. By the time that the NX actually DOES come out, it won't seem like Nintendo is over saturating the market. And, it their claims are actually true, it's going to be a return to hard core gaming, with capabilities rivaling the other two systems. And on top of that, WiiU did see third party AAA games. CoD Ghosts, Batman Arkham Knights, Rayman Legends, and Fatal Frame have all been featured on the WiiU. The third party gaming is a lot more heavy in Japan when it comes to WiiU, which makes sense, considering they're a Japanese company...

The Wii U and Nintendo in general have gotten lackluster third party support due to outdated hardware and poor sales. While companies like Activision and Ubisoft have supported it with ports of Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, it's hardly a win for Nintendo. Most people have started playing those franchises and will continue to do so on Xbox or Playstation, where all of their friends are playing. Not to mention the fact that this support eventually starts to dwindle once these companies move on and take their games even further on next gen hardware that Nintendo struggles to keep up with. Examples being the Assassin's Creed franchise which the Wii U has only seen 2 when 3 more have released since or how the Wii U received a port of Batman: Arkham City but couldn't handle Arkham Knight.

That's not to say things can't turn around with the NX. While Nintendo has been a gen behind as of late, the NX could very well be the catch up they needed. If the last generation is any indication, the PS4 and Xbox One won't be going anywhere for a very long time which gives the NX a typical Nintendo console lifespan of 5 maybe 6 years before this console generation dies off. By then, if Nintendo has their sh*t together, they could be seeing a simultaneous release of next gen consoles and actually rival the competition in terms of power and hopefully sales as well. But only time will tell.

With that said, that still doesn't put Nintendo in any position to gain exclusivity to Resident Evil 7 or REmake 2. While Nintendo may have a good relationship with Capcom, the last time their main entry Resident Evil titles were exclusive to Nintendo, they didn't do so hot. Sure, they supported Nintendo's hardware with the Chronicles games and Revelations on 3DS but not only did those games become available on multiple platforms, the Wii U also didn't see plenty of other releases such as Operation Raccoon City, Revelations 2, or either of the HD remasters of the 2 games that were originally exclusive to the Gamecube.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I predict sooner. If we're lucky, we get something before the release of Resident Evil 0 HD (which is probably too hopeful) or sometime after but definitely before E3.

True, we may get an announcement trailer before E3 and an actual gameplay/teaser trailer AT E3.

Also, no offense, but making it exclusive to the Nintendo NX would be an anti-consumer move of the highest order, worse than Rise of the Tomb Raider going timed exclusive to the console that made up about a quarter of the last game's sales in the Xbox One, and I'm sure everybody is well aware of the insane amounts of backlash Square-Enix got for that decision (perhaps deservedly so). Plus, like you said, it would cost an insane amount of money to make it exclusive since it's their flagship franchise, especially Microsoft with the huge gap in sales between the XB1 and PS4 and Japan being none too kind to the XB1.

Then again, Street Fighter V, their next biggest franchise, went to PS4 as a console exclusive after Sony agreed to put up the money and help out with developing it, but OTOH, Capcom themselves said they didn't have the resources for it, hence it was a similar situation to Bayonetta 2. If it turns out they need help with RE7, Sony has all the leeway in the world to make it exclusive to them just like they did SFV especially with the two having a close relationship. Like I said earlier on, they're making one more yet-to-be-announced PS4 exclusive after SFV and Deep Down with Sony's help. They could pull a Shenmue III and revive Devil May Cry (the original series, not the ****ty reboot) or Dino Crisis exclusively on PS4 for all we know. I wager that that game will probably be revealed at E3.

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
zhby5.jpg

Top Bottom