• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Can RE6 bring the franchise back from the dead?

Jay

K.I.N.G.
I've played it and it did disappoint me sadly.

But that is not true for everyone I admit.

But after looking up the sells and reviews I say it was a failure if you ask me.

Are you talking about RE ORC? I meant RE6. Unless somehow you played it early then.

I agree that horror as a genre will evolve with the times, but for me the key word of 'mobility' and 'action' doesn't really help it. It seems more focused on those aspects than scaring people. This interview in particular concerned me about how influenced they were by action titles. We have a thousand action games with zombies already in the market. We want something different, something unique! Something to bring back the glory days of Resident Evil. Back in the day, I knew a lot more people who played them than now in the 2010s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugGfX5DE3zY
For me, the mix of survival horror and action was done well in RE3 and RE4. I hope their claims of RE6's Leon campaign revisiting the more traditional horror will stay true.

It must have mobility between each genre. Its survival moments and action moments. If one overshadows the other then it won't pace well. I don't know about everyone, but I saw some intense scary moments in the trailers.
This will be the most horrifying and gruesome RE title yet. Look at the video in this thread if you haven't seen it. http://residentevilnews.com/community/threads/new-re6-video.4505/

tharsheblows

Addicted to RE Mercenaries
@Bruno/Story- I have mixed opinions about a romance between Jake and Sherry...I think it would be good, because a little romance really does help story and characters develop...But until we know more about Jake and Sherry I don't want to say I'm wishing for it...We already know Sherry is going to influence and change Jake throughout the game...But how far will the influence go?

C-VIRUS + G-VIRUS =
[media]

Looks like we'll be getting a sneak peek of RESIDENT EVIL 7 with this game.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Well I could have played it if I was on floor at E3 lol.

But sadly I was not.

I thought you where talking about RE ORC.

Here is what I was talking about as far as reviews,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Operation_Raccoon_City

And sales go
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...il-operation-raccoon-city-sales-top-2-million

The game felt rushed even after it was pushed back three months. Though it surprisingly sold well. RE ORC is not the best entry, but its still enjoyable. Back to RE6, no one should criticize it until they've actually played it. Everything shown so far looks great.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
. Back to RE6, no one should criticize it until they've actually played it. Everything shown so far looks great.

How come no one can criticize or complain about what was shown by RE6 but its ok for you to praise it?

That logic doesn't make since to me.

You haven't played it either so how come you get to say so far it looks great?

I think if someone wants to say "so far this game looks lame" they have every right to.

After all, they are only going by what was shown to them just like you are.

And some do not like what was shown to them so far.

And the sales for RE ORC where actually pretty low compared to what Capcom thought it was going to make and compared to RE5.

2,000,000.000 WORLDWIDE is not a lot to companies like Capcom.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The game felt rushed even after it was pushed back three months. Though it surprisingly sold well. RE ORC is not the best entry, but its still enjoyable. Back to RE6, no one should criticize it until they've actually played it. Everything shown so far looks great.
How come no one can criticize or complain about what was shown by RE6 but its ok for you to praise it?

I think if someone wants to say "so far this game looks lame" they have every right to.

Why can't we be neutral like Sweden! With no opinion one way or the other about anything!!

Jay

K.I.N.G.

And the sales for RE ORC where actually pretty low compared to what Capcom thought it was going to make and compared to RE5.

2,000,000.000 WORLDWIDE is not a lot to companies like Capcom.

Where's the sense in criticizing something you haven't tried? Yeah I said no one shouldn't criticize it because the same ones that talk bad about it now will be the ones later saying how much they love it. Judging something before you try it makes less sense because you haven't even seen all Capcom has to offer. Which I'm sure most people will agree with. But lets not turn this into another debate. I'm just impressed with what's been shown so far.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Judging something before you try it makes less sense because you haven't even seen all Capcom has to offer. .

But thats the thing really, that very same argument could be used against the people who actually LIKE what they have been shown so far.

Like you said, we haven't seen everything they have to offer and you just may become disappointed once you try to final product.

Its happened before I assure you.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
But thats the thing really, that very same argument could be used against the people who actually LIKE what they have been shown so far.

Like you said, we haven't seen everything they have to offer and you just may become disappointed once you try to final product.

Its happened before I assure you.

We'll see who's right when its out then.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
We'll see who's right when its out then lol.

Well there really is no right and wrong here.

More along the lines of what people like and their opinions regarding the game.

Some will hate and and some will love it.

It will all boil down to a matter of opinion really.

bruno

Chief Researcher
@Bruno/Story- I have mixed opinions about a romance between Jake and Sherry...I think it would be good, because a little romance really does help story and characters develop...But until we know more about Jake and Sherry I don't want to say I'm wishing for it...We already know Sherry is going to influence and change Jake throughout the game...But how far will the influence go?

I agree that this series needs more romance.
Now that you talk about influence, the developers said Helena will be manioulating Leon into doing what she wants. She'll be acting against her own will... Probably her sister is being held hostage by Simmons/Neo Umbrella.

Aleck

Biohazard
I agree that horror as a genre will evolve with the times, but for me the key word of 'mobility' and 'action' doesn't really help it. It seems more focused on those aspects than scaring people. This interview in particular concerned me about how influenced they were by action titles. We have a thousand action games with zombies already in the market. We want something different, something unique! Something to bring back the glory days of Resident Evil. Back in the day, I knew a lot more people who played them than now in the 2010s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugGfX5DE3zY

For me, the mix of survival horror and action was done well in RE3 and RE4. I hope their claims of RE6's Leon campaign revisiting the more traditional horror will stay true.

I love Resident Evil for it's uniqueness and how it plays a lot like our own personal horror movie. Let's face it, we all want to be the bad-ass or vulnerable, but courageous survivor in a zombie apocalypse. Resident Evil allows us to dream a little and fill those boots, which is incredibly fun.

I think most of the RE games had good horror elements, except I felt RE 5 was way too action movie-esque and left a lot to be desired in the scares department, which is why I especially appreciated Lost In Nightmares. They threw us classic RE fans a bone and it left me hungry for more lol. Let's hope Leon's journey satisfies the original RE fan in us.

About the ganging up - I apologize if it seemed that way. I wasn't baiting or attempting to cause a heated argument. I sincerely wanted to know why she didn't like Leon and I totally understood after she explained it to me. I appreciate all views except for the all out hating for hating sake. Which by the way, I have yet to see in these forums - which is awesome because I too sense friendlier vibes than a lot of other forums. Kindness goes along way and there's enough of it in these forums that I enjoy coming back to talk about the RE franchise (and off topic things) time and again.

I

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Now that you talk about influence, the developers said Helena will be manioulating Leon into doing what she wants. She'll be acting against her own will... Probably her sister is being held hostage by Simmons/Neo Umbrella.
Bringing up Helena, I honestly don't think I'm going to like her character much...

tharsheblows

Addicted to RE Mercenaries
Now that you talk about influence, the developers said Helena will be manipulating Leon into doing what she wants. She'll be acting against her own will... Probably her sister is being held hostage by Simmons/Neo Umbrella.

It's amazing how this Derek Simmons guy is framing everyone and getting everyone against each other. He has Helena's sister held as a hostage while framing Leon and Helena with the death of the president. He also has Ada's clone Carla Radames spreading the C-virus while the Real Ada is being blamed for the global outbreak. Carla Radames kills Chris crew and his ****es off Chris and he wants to eliminate her but Leon needs her to take her in as a witness to clear his name so they are going at it. Jake is wanted by the government because of his blood while Sherry is trying to get him to her agency in one piece. I have a feeling that Helena's sister will be injected withe the C-Virus. This is all speculation but some of this has to be right. I can't wait to see what the outcome of all of this will be.

theinternat

Queen Internet
Maybe i'm a blind fangirl, but i feel like RE6 is going to be my favorite game of all time. Though, i'm more particular when it comes to story than gameplay - I can forgive inperfections in game mechanics. What excites me is that RE6 feels like their first real attempt at a putting the characters in a more serious drama... at least for resident evil standards. i'm pretty confident in it's success. i don't think it's going to bomb.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Maybe i'm a blind fangirl, but i feel like RE6 is going to be my favorite game of all time. Though, i'm more particular when it comes to story than gameplay - I can forgive inperfections in game mechanics. What excites me is that RE6 feels like their first real attempt at a putting the characters in a more serious drama... at least for resident evil standards. i'm pretty confident in it's success. i don't think it's going to bomb.
I agree in a lot of ways..Story is FAR mor important to me than gameplay...And RE6 looks like it's shaping up to have the best story since RE2...RE game have always had great story...Hence the reason why it's my favorite...And pretty much ONLY games I play...But RE6 looks like the first one where the characters themselves are gonna have a very interwoven story...

sbr999

Story-wise I'm sure that RE6 won't disappoint, since Eiichiro Sasaki is the director (Outbreak Files). So it was a wise choice for Capcom to give him the directing task.

Gameplay-wise, the videos still haven't convinced me: it's still too action oriented, even Leon's campaign (at least what I could see in the gameplay vids), but I hope that at least Leon's campaign will bring back the atmosphere that post-RE3 have been lacking. I don't think that Chris' and Jake' can do that, especially with gun-wielding zombies every corner.

I also hope that the creature designers will do better job than they did in RE4/RE5:
Tentacle Wesker, tentancle dogs/people/sea monster etc....which are only unoriginal, but they looked ridiculous.
Not to mention that many creatures in RE5 are just RE4 creatures with different skin (eg: El gigante, chainsaw guys, gantling gun Ganado/Majini etc.)
Revelations had some really cool creatures, so I hope RE6 will do also, and stop the bad trend RE4 started.

To answer the original question:
It has the potential, yes. But let's see, how much will be true from the marketing campaign.
Hopefully dramatic horror is not just the new name for mindless shooting.

JMG29

To Let The World Be
This
The more gameplay footage I watch, the more I feel like canceling my pre-order... it reminds me of Operation: Raccoon City too much, which was RE5 on T-roids...
Why can't we be neutral like Sweden! With no opinion one way or the other about anything!!
Look at the likes/dislikes.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
This
The more gameplay footage I watch, the more I feel like canceling my pre-order... it reminds me of Operation: Raccoon City too much, which was RE5 on T-roids...

Look at the likes/dislikes.

Not sure about the "canceling my pre-order" but I loved that neutral response vid lol.

Top Bottom