• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

BlackLagoonFan

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Forum ones are Assassins Creed, Fable 2, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Gears of War, Mass Effect and Halo.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
The DMC and Fable ones are...the others have kind of been pushed to one side in terms of promotion and maintenance in recent months as the RE, DMC and Fable sites are the most cost-effective right now and generate more interest and income. Steve keeps meaning to crack on with the other ones but it does take up quite a bit of time and effort.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
its good to show other people your work.
it does take time making those forums steve must be busy keeping track of all his fozzys i never realised he had so many :p

if your good at something though, might as well flaunt what you got haha

Jill

yeah it does take time to edit the code choose what pictures to use what news lots of things

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Provided all goes well, Steve can now whack up a site like this one inside of an hour, including graphics and whatnot. He's constantly tweaking his sites though and making alterations to the look and what have you, so it's ongoing in that sense but ultimately, he can set them up and they look after themselves so he can do whatever he likes the rest of the time. Been doing it for 5 years now and it became his full time job, if you like, in 2007 - he enjoys it though and I think that's the key, really. If you enjoy it, you're willing to put that bit more effort into it and many is the time Steve will stay up for two or three days straight just messing around with coding and photoshop purely because he wants to, not necessarily because he needs to.

Jill

Angel;35135 said:
Provided all goes well, Steve can now whack up a site like this one inside of an hour, including graphics and whatnot. He's constantly tweaking his sites though and making alterations to the look and what have you, so it's ongoing in that sense but ultimately, he can set them up and they look after themselves so he can do whatever he likes the rest of the time. Been doing it for 5 years now and it became his full time job, if you like, in 2007 - he enjoys it though and I think that's the key, really. If you enjoy it, you're willing to put that bit more effort into it and many is the time Steve will stay up for two or three days straight just messing around with coding and photoshop purely because he wants to, not necessarily because he needs to.
thats cool

Hoady

Thats awesome especially because i was forced to watch the whole fable 2 cutscenes.:p

But yeah creating codes and all that sounds way technical to me i'm good at networking on computers but i think most that knowledge came from google lol.It does sound cool though sitting at home making forums, i'd probably get overweight eventually you know how it is too lazy to go to the fridge so i have to order pizzas getting no sunlight for 3 days.I'm pretty lazy.Does he get paid for what he does or is it purely for entertainment?

You mentioned he had a gears of war site?Is that up and running now because i'd be glad to pop in.:D

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Yeah, the Gears one has been up for quite a bit now but neither of us have been over there for a while so have no idea how busy it is...feel free to head over and make it look active :lol: - Gears of War 2

Steve uses two monetization packages to get the bulk of his income from the sites whereby he allows certain advertisements to be placed strategically across the site and forum (which disappear when you register) in return for a cut of the profits. Basically, if someone clicks an ad, he gets a percentage of whatever the site has paid for advertising. It doesn't cost them any extra on top of whatever fees they pay the middle-man (i.e. Google, Yahoo etc) and they get more traffic - and Steve gets content appropriate advertisements, as opposed to the junk you see splashed all over freeboards and crap sites, which encourages people to stick around, click and make us money.

It covers the costs of running the sites, obtaining licences for software etc as well as some left over - we also get a very tiny amount from Premium Subscriptions which goes straight back into the management of the websites.

I think Steve does it more for the nejoyment than the cash, as our income is generated from investments and savings rather than the sites, but it's always a nice bonus when a game is released and our sites suddenly get an insane boost in traffic and with that, profits. I won't share how much Fable 2 earned us in just a month before, during and just after release, but suffice to say it was damn good :D

Hoady

Yeah i get it now thats pretty cool i didn't know how important the advertisements were let alone people even clicking them i haven't fallen for an ad in years.:pI did just sign up on the gears one i said hi but it looks like theres a drought going on lol its pretty empty for the time being anyway.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
And I said hi back :p

Yeah, that and our Halo site are pretty dry at the moment - Steve's not really promoted them and kind of left them to it for the last goodness knows how long so we tend to be overlooked for those sites which are actually doing something :lol:

Hoady

Appreciated.:ninja: ;D huh?
Oh well all in the business i guess:p i take your not on the same road as steve(job wise)?

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Good grief no - I'm usually responsible for most of the issues on his sites :lol: I am not in the slightest bit techy, I'm afraid and anything I spout on here about forums, coding and what have you is repeated verbatim after asking Steve first :lol:

My job is officially a charity worker (but I'm currently redundant until it makes money again to pay me), I admin on four sites and I do free online counselling from time to time which is...interesting... Mostly I just sit at home getting bigger and bigger, waiting for this small person to arrive so I can complain about the "good old days" when I didn't have to do anything...

Hoady

I think i'm ment to be good at computers because i'm so anylitical but i find it so boring finding all the knick knacks happening behind the scenes i tried IT once and every minute felt like hours lol.

But yeah i don't think sitting at home for months on end is what its cracked up to be i've been doing it for 8 months and its just sooo boring and the thing is i don't have money a car or a motorbike so i'm just drilled on the computer(ironic right) or around the back all day lol.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Sitting at home is epic fail. I hate it. But then I hate working for other people too because other people are generally stupid and useless. So working for this charity (when they can afford me) is somewhere in the middle because I can do what I like, when I like and I answer to no one, effectively. I get told that such and such needs doing by this or that date and so long as my quota is filled in time, I can do what I please in the interim. No one checks up on me and no one annoys me, so it's good. But not exactly stimulating - my brain is slowly dying :lol:

Hoady

I can somewhat agree i hate work where i have to deal with customers/people because i'm just talking to strangers and half the people are probably bastards looking for a fault so they can get something for free.Or even as simple as a boss or a client trying to instruct me what to and then starts floating around because he thinks i'm incompetent.:dry:

Just throw me out the back with the bogans and i will happily get the job done just don't breathe down my neck and then start yelling because i dropped a spot of paint.

Top Bottom