• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Zero Anybody playing zero for the first time with the HD remaster?

Masterteo89_

I have only played for 2-3 hours, so no spoilers please!

I honestly stumbled on this HD rematered version by random luck.

I mean, i knew RE0 was a Nintendo-only game, so i gave up years ago. Also, i was expecting that the new PC hd remastered game would have been RE2 ( oh, how i'm waiting for this, being RE2 my favourite game of the franchise...).

In short, now i'm playing RE0 Remastered for the PC and i never expected to do this. I never expected that i would be playing again a old school RE game for the first time.

And i have to say that this game is interesting and refreshing.

Well, first of all i do things in MY way, not Capcom's. This mean that i leave Billy in safe zones and i play solo using Rebecca (i know, not advised because she takes more damage and deal less damage).

But hey, who cares? I always liked Rebecca, so i'm playing solo with her on normal difficulty for the first time. ( Not easy because knowing Capcom it won't be challenging. Not hard because it's my first time playing the game. Usually on hard you should know before where to go and what to do.)

P.S. train puzzle was funny. 3 minutes of contdown and 2 math mini-puzzles to do. And i am really awful in math. Even after 26 years of life. That was hard.

--------------------------

That sayd, no item box is not a big problem. Sure, i don't see how it adds survival features...more or less it adds a lot of backtraking in the game.

Comanion system : as i sayd, i play solo. Billy is my walking item box. ( last time he went uncheked he wasted 5 precious rounds of my shotgun. Never again bring a companion to tag along with me. I'm better playing solo.)

Monsters are good so far. Graphic is the same of RE 1 remastered, good.

Main enemy...mah. It reminds me of a singing copy of Morpheus Duvall from RE Dead Aim...their design is similar.

Well... Morpheus did not sing. This is a plus for him.

In short, i can't judge the main enemy for now.

Well, so far this is a good game. It lacks something, but i think it could easily gain the 5th place.

1 - RE2
2- RE3
3- RE CV
4- RE1
5- RE0

Last edited:

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
I've played for a few hours and must say...not all that impressed. Sure the graphics are incredible and gameplay is ok but the enemies are dull IMO. Dunno, something just bugs me about this game. I put it down and played through RE3 again.

I feel the same way. The game does take awhile to get into.. the footsteps bother me slightly, all the foot steps sound the same and it sounds tacky... the background noise isn't great.. eh I'm wondering if I'll even bother playing this till the end ;/

One thing I'm unsure of is the map.. I don't think it shows you if a room is incomplete.. Unlike the original remake rooms remain marked as unexplored when there is something to collect or solve.. In RE0 I don't think you don't get that.. I might be wrong.. but this is how it seemed, if I'm wrong then someone correct me on how to keep track of rooms that need solving.. All it shows is locked doors... This game sways into the tacky category, I struggle to pick up items, I end up examining the useless scenery right next to the item.. or I shuffle around the item a few times before it even registers.. things like this make me wonder what happened when they created this game...

Tron8

Fighting just to survive, but you taught me i can.
I have only played for 2-3 hours, so no spoilers please!

Well, first of all i do things in MY way, not Capcom's. This mean that i leave Billy in safe zones and i play solo using Rebecca (i know, not advised because she takes more damage and deal less damage).

But hey, who cares? I always liked Rebecca, so i'm playing solo with her on normal difficulty for the first time. ( Not easy because knowing Capcom it won't be challenging. Not hard because it's my first time playing the game. Usually on hard you should know before where to go and what to do.)

I find myself doing this also. I like using Rebecca a lot more than Billy. I gave Billy all of the big guns and run around with Rebecca. I gave Rebecca, Billy's pistol and main her. When i use Billy he feels super clunky when it comes to movement as opposed to Rebecca. Rebecca feels light on her feet or perhaps that's just my imagination. What evs I still really like this game.

Masterteo89_

I find myself doing this also. I like using Rebecca a lot more than Billy. I gave Billy all of the big guns and run around with Rebecca. I gave Rebecca, Billy's pistol and main her. When i use Billy he feels super clunky when it comes to movement as opposed to Rebecca. Rebecca feels light on her feet or perhaps that's just my imagination. What evs I still really like this game.

The downside is that i have done at least 2 Game Overs. And that's not because i am playing bad or getting hit often...

it's simply because i'm playing solo as Rebecca. This means sometimes Capcom forces you to play as Billy, and those times i'm screwed because all the good stuff is in Rebecca's pockets. Plus, many times you don't have time to try and find " last - minute items" for Billy.

2 Game over examples :

1- The first boss, the big insect. I lifted the chain with Billy and went to take the fire key with Rebecca, sure that all was well. Pity...boss appears and suddenly Rebecca is in danger and i'm forced to beat the boss with Billy. Notice that Billy had no weapons on him.

In other words, i had enough weapons and ammo to kill the damned worm like 4 times. BUT, all this nice stuff was inside Rebecca's pockets....

2- Save Rebecca after she almost fall in the pit of the torture chamber.

Yeah! Problems? Let's see... i have a Billy in danger condition with crappy equipment and i don't know where to go. Oh, and all around me there are monkeys and spiders.

----------------------------------------------------

In short, this " companion " system sometimes is a killjoy. It forces you to play in team. Problem is i would like to play solo, and with Rebecca. It's fun and challenging : she takes a lot of damage.

But all in all the game is nice. Sure, there are moments where i close my eyes and think " again i'm forced to try to somehow endure a Billy gameplay until i can use again Rebecca " , but i will live

Wesker90

This game is undoubtedly hard on Normal difficulty, Died too many times when you shouldn't have.

D

Deleted member 21244

This game is undoubtedly hard on Normal difficulty, Died too many times when you shouldn't have.
I find re 0 the last decent resident evil in term of difficulty, since normal difficulty was pretty good, comparable to the original resident evil 1... if you are playing it for the first time it will look a bit hard, but after replaying it and knowing what you have to do the normal difficulty will become OK

ToCool74

Veteran Member
RE0 was never that hard for me, maybe its because I preferred and adapted to the classic style of gameplay since I had already beaten RE1,RE2,RE3, and RECV before I played it and RECV in terms of Difficulty definitely was harder than RE0 for me so by the the time I got to RE0 it seemed like a breeze for the most part with the only somewhat difficult part being that I had to get used to the "partner" system with the inventory swapping to where if you got caught in a boss battle after swapping the good weapons to another partner (such as the centipede fight) than you have a hard battle on your hand but once you realize this the first time the rest is more simple, also the no item box thing took some getting used to.

D

Deleted member 21244

RE0 was never that hard for me, maybe its because I preferred and adapted to the classic style of gameplay since I had already beaten RE1,RE2,RE3, and RECV before I played it and RECV in terms of Difficulty definitely was harder than RE0 for me so by the the time I got to RE0 it seemed like a breeze for the most part with the only somewhat difficult part being that I had to get used to the "partner" system with the inventory swapping to where if you got caught in a boss battle after swapping the good weapons to another partner (such as the centipede fight) than you have a hard battle on your hand but once you realize this the first time the rest is more simple, also the no item box thing took some getting used to.
Resident evil 2 and 3 weren't that difficult, probably the easiest resident evil in history, Re cvx is probably the hardest along whit re 1

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Resident evil 2 and 3 weren't that difficult, probably the easiest resident evil in history, Re cvx is probably the hardest along whit re 1

As far as difficulty with the classic RE style games goes I would personally rank them (from top/hardest to bottom/easiest)

Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake (this game was easier than RE1 my first play due to the new defensive items and following directions to burn bodies)
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 2

D

Deleted member 21244

As far as difficulty with the classic RE style games goes I would personally rank them (from top/hardest to bottom/easiest)

Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake (this game was easier than RE1 my first play due to the new defensive items and following directions to burn bodies)
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 2
Yeah that's exactly how I would have ranked them

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Idk man - I think that list looks good, but I think RE0 is easier than REmake in my opinion. Having to burn all of the bodies in REmake is an extra chore that you get punished for not doing. And I HATE Crimson Heads!

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Idk man - I think that list looks good, but I think RE0 is easier than REmake in my opinion. Having to burn all of the bodies in REmake is an extra chore that you get punished for not doing. And I HATE Crimson Heads!

Its a extra chore sure but its a easy chore IMO especially when your playing with Jill who has the extra inventory space to carry a full canteen anyway to burn those bodies, RE0 on the other hand has their own "special zombies" in the form of the Leach zombies which has no prevention method in place, at least your able to prevent constantly running into crimson heads with the proper actions the game spells out for you but the Leach zombies are going to appear no matter what, also RE0 has the T VIrus frogs which where FAR more of a pain than any Crimson head given they can eat you whole in seconds.

D

Deleted member 21244

Its a extra chore sure but its a easy chore IMO especially when your playing with Jill who has the extra inventory space to carry a full canteen anyway to burn those bodies, RE0 on the other hand has their own "special zombies" in the form of the Leach zombies which has no prevention method in place, at least your able to prevent constantly running into crimson heads with the proper actions the game spells out for you but the Leach zombies are going to appear no matter what, also RE0 has the T VIrus frogs which where FAR more of a pain than any Crimson head given they can eat you whole in seconds.
Yeah, I remember the frog killing me in one hit despite having full healt, the eat me, and I didn't save for a while, that was a pain, didnt expect that coming, re remake enemy are easily dodgeble and killable, Crimson head can be killed whit two or three shotgun shot, as well as hunter, also I don't remember regular enemy killing you in one hit in re remake...
The leech are a pain also, you had to use molotov or grande launcher to kill them easy unless you will take a time to kill them whit shotgun...

Also re 0 had no box where to put item and if you left an item or weapon you need behind you had to go back to that point, meaning that you had to face enemy that you previously dodge, while in RE remake you can simply go into the first box you find and take what you want...

So In my opinion re 0 is far more hard Than re remake, you also had to be more calculative on what to take and what to left and where to left them

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The leech men are a pain, but if you know the game, you can just run past them a lot of the time. I always have a molotov ready for areas I will have to traverse consistently. Plus, the molotovs can be used for groups of zombies as well. In REmake, you're forced to carry around the gas and lighter in order to prevents crimson heads. And crimson heads are WAY stronger than Leech zombies!

D

Deleted member 21244

The leech men are a pain, but if you know the game, you can just run past them a lot of the time. I always have a molotov ready for areas I will have to traverse consistently. Plus, the molotovs can be used for groups of zombies as well. In REmake, you're forced to carry around the gas and lighter in order to prevents crimson heads. And crimson heads are WAY stronger than Leech zombies!
Crimson head can easy be killed whit 3 shotgun shell, while if I remember right the leech are very difficult and require at least two or 3 molotov, or many grande launcher ammo, shotgun is uselles since you had to use at least 10 or more shell... Never had problem whit the crimson head

Jamesy

Resident Evil 0 never really hit it off with me. I have played it a few times though and have the HD remaster on my PS4.

shame they didn’t put crimson heads in RE0 since it uses the same engine as RE1.

black 93

Going back to Zero is probably the hardest to do out of the classic games. For one reason, the lack of an item box. Yes it plays like a classic RE game, but it sorely needs an item box. It makes what is already a tedious thing for some players ten times worse. It's never really been a problem for me, but there's always at least one time during a playthrough where I end up backtracking from the final area all the way back to freakin mansion. I truly wish Capcom had added one in the remaster.

RedfieldFan

IMO RE0 is harder than REmake. There's no item box and you have to take care of two characters and their items. In addition to that, there are a bunch of tough enemies like: the leech-zombies, frogs, the annoying bat-boss and the f***king monkeys!
Sure crimson heads can be a pain, but at least most of them can be burned before rising.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I feel like I am the only person who struggled with REmake who finds RE0 to be much easier. I don't know - maybe the fact that you have two characters is easier for me? The lack of item box isn't that big of an issue when you can literally run from the final area of the game to the train wreckage in 5 minutes flat. It is annoying. But I don't think it adds to the difficulty.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
IMO RE0 is harder than REmake. There's no item box and you have to take care of two characters and their items. In addition to that, there are a bunch of tough enemies like: the leech-zombies, frogs, the annoying bat-boss and the f***king monkeys!
Sure crimson heads can be a pain, but at least most of them can be burned before rising.
There's really no point in killing the monkeys and wasting valuable ammo. Avoid them at EVERY chance.

Top Bottom