• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Zero About Rebecca

Masterteo89_

As the title says, i really can't help but think that her character has a big inconsistance from RE1 to RE0.

I mean, in RE1 she was clearly potrayed as the rookie of the team. Almost unable to fight, unlikely to survive on her own ( see hunter incident, or the fact that she clings to Chris like a puppy, or the fact that Chris found her in the save room where she hid for who knows how much time.)

Instead, in RE0 she is the comple opposite. She fights and so on...

That sayd, this does not bother me. I only wanted to point out how things get warped by the producers of a game if it fits them. Capcom needed to do a RE1 prequel with Rebecca and so they molded her character, her personality, in order to make a " playable character " out of her.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think that this is one of the biggest missteps in the series, but from a different angle.

Before ZERO arrived on the scene, all we knew about Rebecca is that she was one of the only remaining survivors of the Bravo team. So, clearly she was made of some tough stuff being able to survive that long as a rookie. Then, we see what she actually went through when we play ZERO and it is a fricken doozy. Yet she acts like none of it happened in the REmake. What? Capcom was making this games at the same time. They could have at least given her some dialgue about being at the other facility or killing a QUEEN LEECH MONSTER??? haha.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
There could be some truth to that as well, but it still seems like a missed opportunity to me.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think that this is one of the biggest missteps in the series, but from a different angle.

Before ZERO arrived on the scene, all we knew about Rebecca is that she was one of the only remaining survivors of the Bravo team. So, clearly she was made of some tough stuff being able to survive that long as a rookie. Then, we see what she actually went through when we play ZERO and it is a fricken doozy. Yet she acts like none of it happened in the REmake. What? Capcom was making this games at the same time. They could have at least given her some dialgue about being at the other facility or killing a QUEEN LEECH MONSTER??? haha.

This exactly. RE0 is one of my least favorite RE games specifically for the inconsistencies. The events that take place prior to Alpha team entering the mansion should not have been so extreme in terms of fighting large boss monsters and blowing up other random facilities. Less is more. Bravo team should have simply been searching yet another crime scene within the woods and maybe a lead on the culprit responsible for the “murders” (which of course we know to be someone who helped kickstart the outbreak) before they are attacked by infected dogs and the remaining survivors are chased into the mansion.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I can see where you're coming from, but if you take a closer look at Rebecca in Zero, you'll see that she's not really an Action Girl in that game either, at least not to the extent of Jill or Claire. I remember her needing to be saved by Billy quite a few times, she couldn't take many hits, and in the final confrontation with the leech, it was Billy who did the actual fighting while she was assisting him in other ways.

Also, don't forget that by the time Chris's adventure is only just beginning, Rebecca has already survived one, with little to no time to recover from it. She's physically and emotionally strained, having been awake for a very long time and witnessed the deaths of her teammates, and yet can still keep up with Chris whenever he doesn't order her to stay behind, saves his a$$ once or twice depending on how you play, and never fails to do her real job, which is providing medical care rather than fighting.

I agree that her scene with the hunter in the library is weird, but for a different reason: She somehow can't escape through a door that is supposed to be inaccessible from the other side. As for why she couldn't just stay and fight, I don't know, maybe she was out of ammo, and hunters aren't the kind of creature you take on with your bare hands.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is a well made argument Hel - but I still think that when they remade the original KNOWING that they were making 0, there could have been some dialogue or mention of it.

If not then, then they could have added it when they remastered the games. I just wish there was more of a bridge and it could have been done.

mert20004

I feel like this is more of remake's fault than re0's. I mean they were developed at the same time; in fact ı think re0's development started before remake's. I dont remember where ı saw this; ı believe it was a video or something. Regardless ı think they could have made remake connect better to re0 and make marcus mentioned in remake. Honestly ı prefer rebecca in re0 and umbrella chronicles over her other appearances.

Also none mention this here but ı found the scene where you find richard for the 1st time with chris weird.

Rebecca's statement is odd to me; EVEN if ı ignore umbrella chronicles:

" He seems to be bitten by a poisonous snake. "

Like; ı just find it weird that rebecca's not aware of richard getting attacked by yawn until you find both with chris. I think she could have been aware earlier.

I'm kinda nitpicking ı know; a counter argument can be made against my statements but regardless, just wanted to say this.

Another thing ı find weird about rebecca is for some reason mikami hates her. Idk why; most likely cause she cant help people as much as other main characters in remake due to being a rookie and in re0; billy is a better character to use most of the time due to his better stats but ı still find it weird that mikami hates her due to these possible reasons even though he later on put ashley to re4 whose entire purpose is to get kidnapped and bleed your ears not to mention she cant fight at all except one point where she can throw lanterns. She's not one of my favourites but ı think she's a cool character regardless.

D

Deleted member 21244

Actually i don't see this many inconsistence whit resident evil 1 story

In re 0 Rebecca is a rookie just like in re 1, she can fight on her own but she is very vulnerable, infact if it wasn't for Billy she would have died from the start of the game, Billy helped her when the leaches attacked her in the train, she helped her when she was captured by the giant centipede, he help her before she falls to her death, and Billy is also the one who killed the queen leach
Alone Rebecca would have simply dies in the train

The same goes for re 1 story, she can handle her own, Infact she save Chris life more than once, she fight her way throught the mansion to give Chris the serum, she also hepled Richard whit no fear, and she helped chris by destroying plant 42, she went to face wesker and the tyrant along whit chris and she also went into the room of the selfe destruction sistem alone to activate it
most of the time she roams the mansion alone whitout anyone help she manage to survive and reach the laboratory , there was only one occasion in Wich she needed help and was the fight against the hunter

So as you can see re 0 Rebecca and re 1 Rebecca are the same, they are both able to handle their own but they are vulnerable sometimes, there is no inconsistence about her character

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't think the OP is very active, but the point of the thread makes sense.

There are inconsistencies that they could have addressed in the REmake since they obviously knew what story line they were going to use in RE0 and they just didn't. REmake has very few negative aspects, but this one sticks out to me still.

D

Deleted member 21244

I don't think the OP is very active, but the point of the thread makes sense.

There are inconsistencies that they could have addressed in the REmake since they obviously knew what story line they were going to use in RE0 and they just didn't. REmake has very few negative aspects, but this one sticks out to me still.
I don't see this inconsistence in between re 0 and remake, also if they are why should have they ruined a masterpiece just for connecting him whit re 0? They should have done the opposite since re 1 came out first, they should have written a re 0 consistent whit re 1, it wasn't re 1 that should have adapted to re 0, but as i said before i didn't see this inconsistence

Also they originally planned re 0 to be connected whit re 4, and this connections is still present in the final re 0 but unfortunately not in the final version of re 4 since they completely rewrite the game

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I mean, you definitely have a point. They SHOULD have included different characters in RE0 as to not **** with the lore. But they did it.

The only major inconsistency is that Rebecca doesn't have any information about anything going on when she lived through potentially a bigger nightmare in the events of RE0. She could mention what she knows about Dr. Marcus, the T Virus, the Tyrant she killed. But she is oblivious to it all. She even has the potential do die from being too scared to fend off a hunter. She is Rebecca Chambers. She don't need any help man!

D

Deleted member 21244

I mean, you definitely have a point. They SHOULD have included different characters in RE0 as to not **** with the lore. But they did it.

The only major inconsistency is that Rebecca doesn't have any information about anything going on when she lived through potentially a bigger nightmare in the events of RE0. She could mention what she knows about Dr. Marcus, the T Virus, the Tyrant she killed. But she is oblivious to it all. She even has the potential do die from being too scared to fend off a hunter. She is Rebecca Chambers. She don't need any help man!
Wtf? I didn't think about that lol Rebecca know everything on what the **** is going on during the mansion incidente but she didn't tell anything to Chris...
Maybe the excuse is that Chris never actually asked XD

Also i remember reading that wesker was the original villain of re 0, fortunately they decided to change it or this would have caused a major plot hole since she would have know that wesker was a spy and there was no excuse for not telling that to Chris

Regarding the hunter, some people seems to forget that also the legendary jill valentine was scared to death by just one zombie in the bathroom and she also vomited after that, and many times needed barry s help to survive... Rebecca is just a human like everyone else she was just scared by the hunter during that part, probably she was out of ammo and the door was locked, she probably thinked that was the end of her life, that's why she was scared but most of the time she went trought the mansion alone and she even save chirs life two time

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Many seem to agree that Enrico should've been the protagonist of RE0. Lore-wise it would make the most sense as we could have a prequel playing as Enrico finding out all sorts of stuff about Umbrella, which would make his death scene in RE1 fit perfectly.

D

Deleted member 21244

Many seem to agree that Enrico should've been the protagonist of RE0. Lore-wise it would make the most sense as we could have a prequel playing as Enrico finding out all sorts of stuff about Umbrella, which would make his death scene in RE1 fit perfectly.
That would have been cool, they should have put rebecca and Enrico as character but not simultaneously, they should have been both playable at times during the game but act indipendently and sometimes they would have meet

I always find billy forced into re 0 story, also as much as i like re 0, the whole story is forced, bravo team helicopter crashed convinetly near the military convoy that was excortying Billy, and conveniently the train that was attacked by Marcus is near them lol

Billy is also forced in the game, bravo team went to investigate the bizzare murder in the arklay mountain but they find Billy convoy and everyone immediately assume Billy is the killer and they start to search him, completely forgotting their true goal, finding what the **** was going on in the arklay mountain... Also why is the convoy taking a trip in the raccon forest? They should have drived into a road, if they were going to take Billy to a prison, but no they thinked it was cool to drive into the forest

Or maybe I'm missing something

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't know man - I can't take Billy seriously with that hair. That damned hair.

Enrico as the main character makes a ton of sense. And it would connect so well. But a lot of Zero is just a little gift to us rather than a well thought out piece of art.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Everything in RE0 feels too conveniently forced. All in all I feel like the developers tried to cram too many new stories into the same game, in an attempt to make the game appear grander and more important to the overall RE universe. In reality they should've just kept it simple and focused on those "cannibalistic murders" leading up the mansion incident, and not add all this crap about a military convoy transporting a death-row inmate and a public train attacked by a new leech monster - all happening at the same spot in addition to Bravo team's investigation.

The first time I played RE0 I was surprised how little the game was actually connected to RE1. Halfway through the game, when you get to see Billy's flashbacks to Africa I was thinking "What the hell? I was expecting something leading up the Mansion incident and now we're in some unrelated character's flashbacks to freaking Africa?!".

Rewatching the intro to RE0, it's kind of amusing how quickly Bravo team shifts their mission priorities from investigating the local murders to catching an escaped criminal and a stopped train...

Top Bottom