• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

$900,000 Herpes Lawsuit

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
An Oregon jury has awarded $900,000 to a 49-year-old woman who claimed that a 69-year-old Portland man intentionally gave her a sexually transmitted disease after they met on an online dating website.
The Oregonian reports (http://is.gd/cdR7MI ) that it was the first time that a case of a person suing another for intentionally transmitting genital herpes went to trial in Oregon, according to lawyers. They say similar cases have been settled out of court.
The man testified he didn't know he was contagious. His lawyer argued that she was lying about her sexual history and may have had sex with other men who gave her the disease.
The woman from Beaverton, Ore., sued after she suffered repeated painful outbreaks of the disease. The jury award was for pain and suffering.

I was just curious as to people's opinions over this. Do you buy that this guy didn't know his Herpes was contagious? Is $900,000 too much or too little a settlement? What is an appropriate punishment for not disclosing sexual transmitted deceases to a sexual partner?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm still trying to work through why a 49 year-old woman would have sex with a 69 year old dude...I don't care HOW desperate...

Na, in all reality, I don't think this should have been taken to court...This should have been settled by them as PEOPLE...America is way to sue happy these days...

Meg

So bin ich eben
What? I would like to know if they were using protection. I'd also like to know what is wrong with this lady suing a man over this. I mean....what?

JMG29

To Let The World Be
I'd also like to know what is wrong with this lady suing a man over this. I mean....what?
Well, I'd like to know how she can prove that the man intentionally did it.

The man said that he didn't know that he was contagious, but I don't know if that means he didn't know he was infected, or that he didn't know that herpes spreads. If it's the later, then he's either dumb or lying.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I don't have time to watch the 7 minute video, so what I say is based on the info in the OP.

I was just curious as to people's opinions over this. Do you buy that this guy didn't know his Herpes was contagious?​
He must know it is contagious, but maybe he didn't know he was infected. There are probably a number of other victims too if he intentionally infected her.

Is $900,000 too much or too little a settlement?​
It's an awful lot, way too much unless he's very wealthy. Herpes is not HIV.

What is an appropriate punishment for not disclosing sexual transmitting deceases to a sexual partner?​
My initial thought was "the gallows", but after thinking a bit I say prison sentence. (If it's HIV I still say the gallows.)

I'm still trying to work through why a 49 year-old woman would have sex with a 69 year old dude...I don't care HOW desperate...
Haha, if you think that is uncommon you haven't seen nothing yet. ;)

Hoady

I'd be interested to know what the guy actually pleaded. If he is saying not guilty and they don't have any proof other then the womans statement, then this is crazy. And unless the guy is famous $900,000 is extreme,he is going to be in debt for life. That guy who interrupts on the video is an idiot. It doesn't matter what number it is? Alright then well if i crash into someone else's car i guess me paying $100,000 is fair because i broke the law, the number is totally irrelevant and the judge can just choose any he wants.

The guy is a dick. If you have things on your bits,don't say anything and take off protection midway, you deserve what you get.But why did the girl allow him to take off half way anyway?Was she looking for a baby?Hey if your sleeping with others on the 4th day, i don't care,do it in the first 30 seconds if you want. But no protection with someone new, uhhh yeah of course they aren't going to say anything, girl or man! Alot of people just looking for a quick shag, nothing more.

And sorry but i think $900,000 is more then ENOUGH to compensating for her 'pain and suffering'.Lower that by 890,000 and you are getting somewhere fair.The judge should be sentenced to a lifetime in the circus for being such a clown.

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
All i know is that in Britain a mad man with HIV was dating girls like it was going out of fashion, and was trying to spread the disease to as many people as possible, because he was angry about it. Whatever way you look at it, you are causing bodily harm to another.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I think that the man was probably lying about him not knowing that herpes was contagious. The first thing is that he is 69 years old, I think that maybe after a while of having it you would learn that it could spread and that you'll either learn this from family, friends, or even the doctor who told you that you have herpes and he should've told you that once you have herpes it will can and will spread or if the doctor didn't tell you then it's still unexcuseable since there are people who you can talk to about it.

Now for the woman. Seriously, $900,000? What was she thinking when she sued for that much?
Woman: "Well this is great. I have herpes, my bills are pileing up, I can't pay all the taxes, my meth supplies is running low, I haven't bought any new clothes, purses, or jewelery in the past 2 days, I look like a woman and not a rich woman, and I want more than I ever wanted. So how am I going to get the money? Oh I know, I'll sue that old fart for $900,000 and then I'll be the most spoiled w****y s*** that has ever lived."

If that is how that number got in her head then I seriously hate her. Now if that isn't how it happened then I think that she is just spoiled.

I still say that it is the man's fault, but I think the 900k is a little bit extreme.

Top Bottom