• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Zombies....Could it really happen?

APV

Wait, Who stole me Haggis?
In the event of a Zombie outbreak, I'd probably be screwed. Especially if the outbreak was the equivalent of Raccoon City.

First and foremost, I'm epileptic, meaning I have violent seizures if I don't take my medication. So my first stop would be the Doctors and/or Hospital. I'd have to go on a search through the entire hospital, in search of my desired medication. Kind of like "Left 4 Dead". I'd take my gas mask from home and head to the hospital.

Considering I don't have a clue where exactly the tablets are kept in hospital I'd be in there for days. Maybe if I go there as people are panicking and find a staff member, I could get my meds. I only live about 25 minutes away from the hospital, so I should get there without having to go through too much trouble.

But wait, victims of Zombie attacks are taken to hospital in order that they may be healed - Meaning I'm stuck in a building that is already under attack from patients who have become Zombie's. Panic ensues.

It would probably be night time by the time I found the required medication, so I'd have to hold up in the hospital for the night, keeping myself out of sight from anything that wants to eat me alive.

Once morning rolled around, I'd head out of the hospital and make my way to the local Town, to a local hardware store named "Blue Moon" that sells (to my knowledge) Handguns, Shotguns, Rifles, Air Rifles, Crossbows, Brass Knuckles, Bowie Knifes, other assortments of Knifes, Kevlar vests, ect, ect.

Problem is, Town is a busy place, so there would be many Zombie's and even Zombiefied animals wandering it's streets and throughout the many stores.

Another problem: I think this is the only store in York that sells weapons. Certainly the only store that sells firearms. And by the time I got there the place would have already been ransacked by other people who searched for a means to survive. So there wouldn't be many, if any guns left. Maybe some knifes and a few pairs of brass knuckles if I'm lucky.

Arming myself with any gear & weapons available, I'd then move on up to McDonalds to grab as much food and drinks as I could, visiting JJB beforehand to purchase/take a couple rucksacks to carry around any equiptment I might need.

After this I'd head back home to check on my mother/father. My father would no doubt board up the windows/doors of the house with what little spare would he had left in the shed. Knowing my luck though, my parents would be dead. Because they suck.

I'd place their bodies outside in the wooden shed and lock it, returning to the living room to sit down, eat and watch the news abit for any more coverage on the Zombie invasion.

I spend the night in my home, worrying about my sister who lives about half an hours walk away.

I wake up and use my time to fully prepare myself, gearing up, wearing clothes that are tough for a Zombie to bite into (jeans, for example).

I'd wear jeans, a T-shirt, a hooded sweatshirt over that and then put my bodywarmer on over that. Finally, I'd put my black leather coat on over the rest because we all know you can't be a Zombie ass-kicker without a leather coat. :D

I'd also wear my fingerless gloves, steel toecap boots, gas mask and my Deer hunter's hat. I'd arm myself with any guns I'd found from the store, knifes, a kevlar vest (assuming I found one) a flashlight and carry a few packs of batteries we have in the kitchen draw. I'd take the rucksack/sports bag I found earlier and use to to carry around the sledgehammer I keep next to my wardrobe.

I'd hope to head out at about 8am and move on to my sisters & her boyfriends house. When I get there they are either missing, having locked the door and gone elsewhere for safety, or they're dead/Zombie's, in which case I yell "FOUR!!" and smash my sister across the face with the sledgehammer, sending her several feet into the air before dropping to the ground.

I kill any Zombie's lurking in the house and search every room for anything useful. I'm not likely to find anything useful here.

After this I head back into Town, having forgotten to pick up a map the first time I was there, avoiding/crushing any Zombie's in the way with my sledgehammer. This tires me out so I decide to rely on a gun, instead. Something I'd prefer to save for a dangerous situation that truly called for it - Like if I were to be swarmed by Zombie's.

Having attained a map I search for the nearest harbor/whatever and head in that direction in search of a boat. Now I don't know whereabouts the closest harbor is, as I've never been to one, so the story ends here and fate would take it's course. I'd like to visit Japan, however, so I'd probably head for there.

Would I survive? I have no idea, but I wouldn't give up without a fight. :D
ahha now that was an answer! i see that you thought it through or went on google, either way fantastic!

AP

APV

I would be pretty screwed. I live with my family (parents and brothers) so I'd be stuck with them, and the only weapons we have is a double-barrel shotgun and a couple of bolt-action .22's. If I was to go out on my own I'd likely be left with just my bow to try and defend myself with - not a scenario I'd like to try out!..

Ideally I would want to stock up on supplies and take a boat out to the ocean - which would be unbelievably difficult because so many people would probably have the same idea, and I don't live close to a place with a lot of boats just sitting around (about a one hour drive to the beach, then to trying to find a boat to 'borrow' with fuel, the keys etc.) so it'd be hard enough just getting to the sea...

I think the hardest part would be getting yourself organised at the start when everyone's panicking and running around crazy, possibly looting and stealing, etc... So, another idea would be go the complete opposite direction by not trying to run from it all while everyone else is, and hole up in the large truck depot across the street from my house until things (like mass panic in the streets) die down a bit then head out looking for supplies and stuff, then maybe go find a boat once all the chaos might have settled down a bit...

But if it were to happen, it better not be for about at least another 10 years when I have the independence and means to at least try and survive. :D
Very well said pal, you are right from what ive gathered many people would head to the ocean so it would be difficult. But great answer and thanks

AP

Silverback

Moving Mountains
If things got as bad as Resident Evil 3 we'd probably all be done for. The Zombie's were everywhere in that game. Atleast in Resident Evil 2 there are places you can stop and take a breather. (excluding save rooms)

APV

If things got as bad as Resident Evil 3 we'd probably all be done for. The Zombie's were everywhere in that game. Atleast in Resident Evil 2 there are places you can stop and take a breather. (excluding save rooms)
True but if things did get as bad as RE:3 in our towns i believe that if we have a plan of action we have more of a chance than the other 99% of people. Think about it you and i plus the rest of the RE community have a bit more knowledge when it comes to surviving. Granted it may not be as easy as the slow moving zombies we are more used to, where we can stab them and move back and stab again until their cut like a bit of pork instead of using our guns. It'll probably be more like 28 Days Later where the buggers move fast and change quickly!

I suppose i have digressed a wee bit but i firmly believe that if it ever happens on whatever scale (bar an airbourne viruse) we would probably have much more of a chance of survival from our gaming experience.

See games do save lives!

AP

Silverback

Moving Mountains
True but if things did get as bad as RE:3 in our towns i believe that if we have a plan of action we have more of a chance than the other 99% of people. Think about it you and i plus the rest of the RE community have a bit more knowledge when it comes to surviving. Granted it may not be as easy as the slow moving zombies we are more used to, where we can stab them and move back and stab again until their cut like a bit of pork instead of using our guns. It'll probably be more like 28 Days Later where the buggers move fast and change quickly!

I suppose i have digressed a wee bit but i firmly believe that if it ever happens on whatever scale (bar an airbourne viruse) we would probably have much more of a chance of survival from our gaming experience.

See games do save lives!

AP
Indeed. That reminds me, there are faster Zombies ie: V-ACT's/Crimson Head's. Wouldn't have thought they would be easy to deal with. They tank pistol rounds for God's sake.

I agree in that some of us might survive due to being willing to sacrifice and being prepared, but in this scenario we'd be fighting all kinds of Zombie's. Even wild animals such as Lion's, that have been infected and escaped the zoo. (Outbreak, anyone?)

Would be interesting to say the least. Dangerous, but interesting.

APV

Indeed. That reminds me, there are faster Zombies ie: V-ACT's/Crimson Head's. Wouldn't have thought they would be easy to deal with. They tank pistol rounds for God's sake.

I agree in that some of us might survive due to being willing to sacrifice and being prepared, but in this scenario we'd be fighting all kinds of Zombie's. Even wild animals such as Lion's, that have been infected and escaped the zoo. (Outbreak, anyone?)

Would be interesting to say the least. Dangerous, but interesting.
I suppose it is all dependant on where you live, i have no zoos near me bar Edinburgh which is 2 hours away so i wouldnt think that was a threat. Dogs and Cats may be a problem but i cant see many of them being left behind after they have been either eaten by their owners or still locked up in homes so i wouldnt class that as an immediate threat but the zombies *(assuming we are sticking to the 28 Days Later scenario) would be.

I doubt in all seriousness there would be mutations of the virus which would engineer 'monsters' such as the Tyrant, The Lickers, Huge Spiders etc unless they have been individually engineered by someone, But i am NO B.O.W or viral expert so i am in no position to say that it is impossible or that it is unlikely unless something along those lines actually happens.

AP

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
I live near London, so a very big city like Racoon would of couse fall foul of an outbreak. Lucky for me, i know nearly every street, side street and back lane in London as i have been there so many times. I agree of the Gaming experiance of things, that experiance may help in a real outbreak.

Zacmac90

Plus, even if it did happen how long do you think the military would last for since they seem to always die in outbreaks in movies/games

L

Lurker
No, if a carcass is already decaying, why would it suddenly stop when the brain is visible and the flesh is green?

APV

Plus, even if it did happen how long do you think the military would last for since they seem to always die in outbreaks in movies/games
Good point but in films and games...Its done to add drama and effect to the devastation but in reality it wouldnt happen think of the Royal Navy at Seas or the Various forces spread across the World so it would be highly unlikely the whole UK Military Infrastructure would be annilihated.

Unless the epidemic is worldwide then that may be a problem!

AP

Silverback

Moving Mountains
No, if a carcass is already decaying, why would it suddenly stop when the brain is visible and the flesh is green?
This is also a good point. Many Zombie's would be rotting and would eventually rot out of existence. Unless for some strange reason the disease/virus could prevent the hosts body from decaying.

It does make me wonder though, how well would the local police force fare against an assault like that at the start of Resident Evil 3?

How differently would things go?

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
If there were an outbreak with the RE zombies, it would last but a couple of hours. It takes roughly 4 hours for rigor mortis to set in. It reaches it's peak after about 12 hours and lasts for another 24-48. It goes away after the muscles have deteriorated to a point of being no use.

If for some reason this doesn't happen, the muscles in the zombies would deteriorate from over use. If the heart isn't beating, then no blood is flowing. If the blood isn't flowing, oxygen isn't being brought to the muscles. Without oxygen, your muscles can't repair themselves and eventually just deteriorate to the point of being useless.

If by some random chance the last two things don't happen, then another part of the decaying process would finish them off. One of the first things to go is the brain. Because your mouth has so much bacteria, it eats and spreads through your sinus cavities and up into your brain. Your brain is basically a ball of fat (yes I know it's more than that, but just stick with me) and isn't very, for the lack of a better word, "tough". The bacteria breaks down the brain and, basically, liquefies the brain.

As for the 28 Days Later "zombies"? You bet your booty that's possible. All you need is a form of "super" rabies. However, if you go by what the "normal" rabies virus does to the body, it can last anywhere from a few days to a couple of months. It depends on where the site of infection is on the body in relation to the spinal chord and/or brain.

The real danger, in my opinion, is the chance of infection after the "zombies" are gone. Think about it! Everywhere and anywhere a zombie has been would be considered contaminated and leaves the potential for being infected. Basic hygiene would probably eliminate this threat.

In all, just hold up somewhere for a few months and you'll make it out alive!

PunkMaister

Could something similar happen yes , would they literally be walking corpses as in movies and literature? No

But as the link n the previous article so eloquently explains and for anyone that has seen the movie 28 days latter and it's sequel knows that such technicism would not matter much if at all. Except that you can kill the infected easier than the literature zombies.

Harry Sachz

Ancient Alien
Well, once the body is dead, it's dead and pretty much unable to come to life as a zombie, so I don't think zombies would exactly be coming from the ground or anything. BUT, I think it could be possible that living people affected could zombify. They're infected, then put into a dead-like state (not technically dead, though) and later reanimate as zombies. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the world saw zombies at some point in the future. Probably the doing of governments and militaries experimenting with biochemical warfare.

APV

Here's a small scenario to work the mind....

You wake up one morning, go down the stairs and switch on the TV and the news is on talking about riots across several separate cities nationwide with the Army being called in as the Police are being severely overwhelmed but your town is dozens of miles away from any of this so you head to work and while your walking along the street you notice a man sitting on a bench in the park across the road wearing a blood soaked jacket, hes facing the floor as if sleeping with a cap covering his the majority of his face.

You go to cross the road but are interrupted by a bus speeding by with what appears to be a broken window at the back but you cant be sure as it was to fast. So you cross and go to speak to the man but just as you are about to say "excuse me" your phone rings, you answer with your short time friend screaming uncontrollably on the other end, you cant understand whats been said and the call ends abruptly.

You have two choices at this point...

1 - go to work at the Post Office as you cant afford to be late once more

or

2 - go and see whats going on with your friend

Tell me what you would do out of the two options and ill continue the scenario a little bit further

AP

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Here's a small scenario to work the mind....

You wake up one morning, go down the stairs and switch on the TV and the news is on talking about riots across several separate cities nationwide with the Army being called in as the Police are being severely overwhelmed but your town is dozens of miles away from any of this so you head to work and while your walking along the street you notice a man sitting on a bench in the park across the road wearing a blood soaked jacket, hes facing the floor as if sleeping with a cap covering his the majority of his face.

You go to cross the road but are interrupted by a bus speeding by with what appears to be a broken window at the back but you cant be sure as it was to fast. So you cross and go to speak to the man but just as you are about to say "excuse me" your phone rings, you answer with your friend screaming uncontrollably on the other end, you cant understand whats been said and the call ends abruptly.

You have two choices at this point...

1 - go to work at the Post Office as you cant afford to be late once more

or

2 - go and see whats going on with your friend

Tell me what you would do out of the two options and ill continue the scenario a little bit further

AP
Everyone's thinking it...I'm just sayin it...Depends on the friend...

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
say short time friend, you've only known them for a year or two but hang out every weekend

Hope it helps

AP
I'd go with #2..He/She's my friend and we hang a lot...I'm gonna be worried...Plus, the post office has a high suicide rate anyway...So whether I'm working there or battling zombies there is risk of death...at least with zombies the death could be stylish...

Top Bottom