• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your opinion on the stupidity of political correctness...

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Come ON!! How much funnier was life BEFORE you had to be politicaly correct about EVERYTHING!! Becuase of PC NOBODY knows how to laugh at themselves anymore...Its a killer blow to good humor as we know it...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
For me, political correctness is necessary to a degree and I'm more partial to people who can be politically correct than those who cannot. I don't want you calling someone with a disability a 'retard', I'm sorry but it doesn't really reflect fabulously back onto yourself and those terms you're trying to avoid (retard, fag, nigger, oven dodger etc) have some seriously offensive historical backgrounds and I think it's necessary to be sensitive to that. That said, I think some people go out of their way to be offended. Like when someone snaps at you for saying 'Merry Christmas' - I highly doubt they're crying themselves to sleep at night because they're so offended, they're just a dickhead. In essense, it's necessary but yes, some people do take it too far. I do think it's definitely necessary in the more professional and academic sectors in society, though.

In humor - well, for me I don't really care. My favourite comedian is Don Rickles who is about as politically incorrect as you can get. As long as you don't mean it and you're smart about it, then I don't think it should be all that taboo.

Meg

So bin ich eben
Oh gosh, PC. I don't think it kills humor at all because certain words shouldn't be a part of humor to begin with. There is a reason PC exists and its because certain words carry very offensive meanings and people do not deserved to be called such. At all.

To me, certain words need to fall of the face of the Earth, and PC encourages that and I think that's good. You can probably imagine how disgusted I was watching the Vagina Monologues (its a stage production) and hearing the C word being screamed over and over again.

Where the hell was I going with this?

Oh, but I agree that some people take it to far, but its one of those things that while some people are ridiculous about it to not have it at all would be even worse.

With that said, Happy Holidays, everyone. ;)..........that was really cheesy. e_e never mind.

Professor X

I hate political correctness. I was born back in '89, and life was much more fun back then. I don't know if PC existed at that time but if it did, it wasn't always in your face and infringing on your rights...

Man was given Common Sense for a reason. We don't need political correctness.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
If everyone had the capacity to use their common sense, then we might not need political correctness. You're assuming everyone does.

People have the capacity...theyre just too lazy to use it...what i mean is the extreamity people take it to these days...i mean i'm in speech and debate right. Our school was hosting a speech and debate tournament and i had to write improv topics. one thing i wrote was "Youre sitting on a plane next to a terrorist" My teacher said know becuase it was racist. How on God's green earth is that racist...for those of you who don't know what improv is, its when you get some small topic and build a scene off of it, and in speech/debate tournaments more often than not it is a funny one. Then i GO to a tournament once and i draw a topic titled "Sitting in a chinese resteraunt" and all of a sudden its all good to not be PC becuase let me tell ya, me and my partner were not PC...as for the terrorist thing and PC in general it also has to do with location, but i live in a hicktown in midwest Missouri...i mean we are in NO danger of even remotley offending any body...

sadistic_greyfox

For certain things like big companies, etc. you have to expect it for a certain degree especially if they want to reach out to the most customers available, being a business and all. When in public I guess I'm pretty PC, not forcefully, just out of habit and being raised to respect others and their choices. I'd pretty much give anyone the same amount of respect that they give me though. That being said, sometimes folks take it too far, even bordering hypocrisy. Even worse is the "White Knights" who have to pick on everything you say or everything they see on T.V. which they don't agree with.

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
My family has owned a business in my town for over 20 years. And every year since my town has had a Christmas Parade, we have built a float and joined in. About 3 or 4 years ago we were told that we weren't allowed to put "Merry Christmas" on our float. Instead it had to be "Happy Holidays" for those who didn't celebrate Christmas. My grandfather looked at the person that was telling him this and said, "You mean to tell me that I can't put "Merry Christmas" on the side of my float in the "Annual Christmas Parade"? The man just stared at my grandfather... Why the hell can't we have Merry Christmas on a banner because it's not PC but the parade is named the Annual Christmas Parade? My town council is full of hypocrites and morons.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I'd agree with some of the comments here about certain things concerning political correctness, such as not using really offensive terms when referring to others but there are indeed some over the top things out there which are usually down to middle class white people being uptight about stuff no one cares about. I grew up in a mostly Muslim town and not once did we as a family get berated for celebrating Christmas as Christmas - in fact, we'd share our festivals with our neighbours and vice versa.

I'll tell you what bugs me - we're not supposed to say blackboard anymore. It's chalkboard. Now I don't know of a single person in any of the schools I have been in or my daughter has been in that have been up in arms about calling a black board exactly that. But there you have it. I mean, I'm not getting all antsy because there's a whiteboard, am I? I still call it a blackboard and I will continue to do so until I'm old, eccentric and obscene.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'd agree with some of the comments here about certain things concerning political correctness, such as not using really offensive terms when referring to others but there are indeed some over the top things out there which are usually down to middle class white people being uptight about stuff no one cares about. I grew up in a mostly Muslim town and not once did we as a family get berated for celebrating Christmas as Christmas - in fact, we'd share our festivals with our neighbours and vice versa.

I'll tell you what bugs me - we're not supposed to say blackboard anymore. It's chalkboard. Now I don't know of a single person in any of the schools I have been in or my daughter has been in that have been up in arms about calling a black board exactly that. But there you have it. I mean, I'm not getting all antsy because there's a whiteboard, am I? I still call it a blackboard and I will continue to do so until I'm old, eccentric and obscene.

See and i agree with you in full, because as far as im concerned when it comes to those words that shouldnt be publicly used i think people should not use them out of genuine respect and NOT because theyre affraid of not being politicaly correct...

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
this is a simple one... Since the advent of Political correctness, there has been a drop in manners.can even be small things like people not holding doors open or even saying thank you and please.

combine that with a sharp rise in the underclass chavs etc and you have a disjointed society that is at each others throats pretty sharpish.

If a parent took the time to bother to teach their kids manners then calling people retards and all the rest of it would quieten down, but it appears that people only really display manners when,
1,they want something or
2, their paycheque depends on it.

The heavy stuff like racism has been more or less removed from britain when compared to say the 70's but the PC stuff has taken over the whole thing. to the extent where you are barely allowed banter in the work place, without fear of some tool screaming discrimination of, colour,sex or whatever else. There was a time when people just didn't have time to get offended,they were too busy getting on with life.

this may be rose tinted glasses here, but i swear people had thicker skins as well.

this is all general of course and not sweeping everyone with the one brush.

So i guess i'll be politically correct when the politicians lead by example............think i'll be waiting a while.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
this is a simple one... Since the advent of Political correctness, there has been a drop in manners.can even be small things like people not holding doors open or even saying thank you and please.

combine that with a sharp rise in the underclass chavs etc and you have a disjointed society that is at each others throats pretty sharpish.

If a parent took the time to bother to teach their kids manners then calling people retards and all the rest of it would quieten down, but it appears that people only really display manners when,
!,they want something or
2, their paycheque depends on it.

The heavy stuff like racism has been more or less removed from britain when compared to say the 70's but the PC stuff has taken over the whole thing. to the extent where you are barely allowed banter in the work place, without fear of some tool screaming discrimination of, colour,sex or whatever else. There was a time when people just didn't have time to get offended,they were too busy getting on with life.

this may be rose tinted glasses here, but i swear people had thicker skins as well.

this is all general of course and not sweeping everyone with the one brush.

So i guess i'll be politically correct when the politicians lead by example............think i'll be waiting a while.

Haha...this has been the best post so far...i'm the guy that always holds the doors open for people...but youre right...i hardly get thank yous...i mean i'm not doing it for the thank you...its fine that they don't, but you example was a prime one...as well as one that made me laugh...

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
lol cheers kennedy Killer.......oh i do beg your pardon.......SIR kennedy killer!

I was going to simply post

'' Offended by everything ashamed of nothing ''

But thought i'd go more into detail.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
lol cheers kennedy Killer.......oh i do beg your pardon.......SIR kennedy killer!

I was going to simply post

'' Offended by everything ashamed of nothing ''

But thought i'd go more into detail.

I don't know man...It just seems that people can't laugh at themselves anymore...me, if i want to make people laugh i make fun of myself...ill do stupid things to make them smile, which probably isnt good for me but hey, i am making people smile...I also feel i'm one of the few who can do this anymore too for others are affraid of offending people...i mean if someones having a s--ty day i'm gonna do what i can to make em smile, and i'm not gonna have political correctness stop me...

Rusty

Kickass Stranger
The problem with PC and cuss words is that the topic matter each word references is unpleasant. So no matter what word is used to describe it -given enough time the PC terms or the mollified terms will become the new vulgarities as they often do nowadays anyway. The fact the people take the time to be PC only makes the words feel more violent because it's an unnecessary extra step to reference what's being referenced as opposed to simply sticking with what used to be said.
This is not to be confused with racial slurs such the n-word or the paper toys people fly at beachs. This is for things such as the f-word, the s-word, colored v. black, fat v. overweight, slow v. stupid, retarded v. "special," etc....
Fart is crass apparently, but then passed gas means the same damn thing. Guess what's gonna be crass in ten years? F***, s***, damn, etc. were all words in the English dictionary with legitimate meanings, but people didn't like how they sounded. Well I don't like how "sex" sounds. I prefer f***ed into next Tuesday! It sounds better! Am I gonna make a grand decree on the Joyu Behar Show that f*** is now PC!? Hell no! They have no right to tell us what's PC. Just do it when necessary so you seem "cultured" to whomever you're speaking to. Like VP-70 said, you're probably only gonna do it when you don't wanna tick someone off -if it even really bothers them. How many times is the word "damn" inThe Bible? Damnation is an ongiong theme in Christianity -and they have the audacity to get angry with me for using it in a similar manner? Pure stupidity. It shows a lack of class and a lack of knowing their own language.
(To say damn when something bad happens is a shortened form of previous incarnation of the phrase "God damn it" which comes directly from The Bible meaning what it says literally -God make this go away and never come back. The God damn it, became too harsh a phrase and "damn" or "damn it" took it's place.)
Racial slurs such as the n-word are simply a matter of courtesy and respect. Don't use them. People who alter them show a lack of class for not acknowledging what the word was meant to represent. This bothers me, but that's a completely different topic that spans back several hundred years.

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
Off-topic-ish, but what the fu-ck is the paper thing people fly at beaches and what the fu-ck is the v. in fat v.?

Rusty

Kickass Stranger
I'm also lost on the paper thing people fly at beaches lol...i thought he meant a kite...
N-word equivalent for Jews -although I'm not sure if that's how the actual word is spelled.
Off-topic-ish, but what the fu-ck is the paper thing people fly at beaches and what the fu-ck is the v. in fat v.?
v. is versus -vs. Alien v Predator? "V" is short for the already shortened vs.

Top Bottom