• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Your Ideal Resident Evil 7?

black 93

One thing im fairly certain of, is that capcom are not going to make it a strictly survival horror game. It'll be a blend of past and recent RE's. To me that's not a problem, i enjoy both. If it came down to a personal choice, i would say i prefer the older games, but at the same time i think that if every single game had played like the originals, this series would have died a long time ago. It hasn't lasted nearly 20 years by not trying new things and staying in one genre. End of the day Capcom are still a buisness and they need money to stay afloat, games are more expsensive to make than ever so they aren't just gunna stick to one genre, especially one like survival horror which dosen't appeal to everyone. They can't just totally abandon the fans that came in at RE4 and onwards, because those fans have helped keep the series alive as much as the older fans have. People should just stop having sky high expectations and just learn to enjoy games again. Yes RE6 was a little poor for a series as iconic as Resident Evil, but that dosen't mean capcom should never touch action style gameplay again. RE is a story of an ongoing war on bioterrorism, of course there's gunna be action. All i want in RE7 is a good freakin game. I don't need fixed cameras, tank controls and old mansions to enjoy a resident evil game. Revelations 2 with a bigger budget, harder and longer would be perfect.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Glad everyone finally seems to be seeing reason when it comes to Chris. But in all seriousness, I definitely agree with the notion that RE7 will likely be a blend of old and new. I really do believe Capcom have turned over a new leaf, so I'm somewhat more confident that they'll deliver on this one, and frankly, a combination of old and new would probably give the greatest potential for the game. If they came out with a new game that was exactly like the Remake or 0 remasters, no matter how pretty it looked, I would still get the feeling that it felt like an older game, or that they didn't try as hard as they could have. Don't get the wrong idea, RE2 is my favorite game of all time, I got Remake HD as soon as it came out, and I'll be doing the same for 0, but the highest selling point on those is either nostalgia or "oh, I missed that game and this is the perfect opportunity to play it". Neither of those options scream innovation and forward thinking. Resident Evil is an old series and it needs to keep changing and evolving in order to stay relevant in the market. But this isn't a bad thing. I loved pretty much every game they've thrown out in REs name (barring ORC and all of the obscure games I never bothered to play). Only if they keep trying new things will they find what really truly works. Because let's face it, even the fans don't know what they want. Firstly, we're all demanding different things, and it's impossible to comply with everyone's wishes, but also some of the fans who think they know what they want would likely be pleasantly surprised if Capcom were to innovate in a positive way. I agree that Rev2 had some definite potential, and a higher budget could definitely fix some of the kinks present in that game (Claire, I love you to pieces but that is not a good look for you). In conclusion, a hybrid I think is definitely the way to go.

P.S. Piers was in love with Merah (I think that was her name???)? I'm not doubting you. I for one never looked at the Marhawa Desire, but if that's the case, someone should probably give those Nivanfielders a call...

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I think that if every single game had played like the originals this series would have died a long time ago.
It is better to die a hero than to live long enough to be the villain, besides Pokemon,Mario,Zelda etc have always stuck to their original genres and they're still going strong even moreso than RE series which has an identity crisis.

That's not to say that the series can't experiment that's what spin-offs like gun survivor&ORC are for but keep the mainline games Survival horror and if they're just going to half ass the horror to appease the action fans then why even bother with horror at all? i want a legit horror game not an action 3rd person shooter masquerading as one.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
It is better to die a hero than to live long enough to be the villain, besides Pokemon,Mario,Zelda etc have always stuck to their original genres and they're still going strong even moreso than RE series which has an identity crisis.

That's not to say that the series can't experiment that's what spin-offs like gun survivor&ORC are for but keep the mainline games Survival horror and if they're just going to half ass the horror to appease the action fans then why even bother with horror at all? i want a legit horror game not an action 3rd person shooter masquerading as one.
That right there was my main problem with Leon's campaign in RE6. It seems that a lot of people applauded his campaign and insisted that that was how the whole game should've been, when I found it to be the worst one. The controls for RE6 were obviously geared toward an action game, and frankly I think it worked for Chris's campaign because there was no doubt in anyone's mind what his was supposed to be like, but Leon's just felt confused. The pacing was obnoxiously slow to make up for the action-oriented controls and make it feel like "horror", the true zombie-like enemies were very easy to kill, ammo was no concern because you could melee everyone to death without using a bullet, and frankly after the first couple chapters Leon's campaign gave up on horror altogether as well.

I think and hope that they realize now why trying to have multiple different genres of games in the same package is destined for failure, and I agree that the newer unstallments should be horror first and foremost, but even a straight action game would likely feel cleaner than RE6.

Unknown

Leon's campaign was indeed the worst one, until I played Ada's... painful. Jake's was ok, but ridiculous. Chris' was the best, even though it was action based, it was more focused and consistent, and had the best story.

The ideal RE7 will also be focused and consistent. Ditch co-op for the campaigns, and bring back the strategic gameplay and HUB areas. It can still be like this and modern at the same time, though Capcom seem to think this is an impossibility, and that every game must handhold the player throughout.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Leon's campaign was indeed the worst one, until I played Ada's... painful. Jake's was ok, but ridiculous. Chris' was the best, even though it was action based, it was more focused and consistent, and had the best story.

The ideal RE7 will also be focused and consistent. Ditch co-op for the campaigns, and bring back the strategic gameplay and HUB areas. It can still be like this and modern at the same time, though Capcom seem to think this is an impossibility, and that every game must handhold the player throughout.
Yeah pretty much all of this. Hehe, I forgot about Ada's campaign, shows how (not) good it was I guess. Yeah consistency is key and you bring up a really good point with the handholding. Games in general seem to do this more now and it really ticks me off. Even games that are supposed to be challenging often end up being either too easy or just unfair, neither of which is very enjoyable, and Resident Evil was quite unforgiving once upon a time, and it would be nice if they were to start heading further that direction.

One thing I would say, and this is more geared toward video games in general rather than just RE, is unlockables>dlc. Too many games use dlc unnecessarily just to get more money out of people, and as a result unlockables have become much less prevalent than they once were. Not all paid dlc is bad, but some companies choose to abuse it, and I know that historically Capcom falls into this category. Make Mercenaries stages and costumes and characters and loadouts and whatever additional features you want to put into the game unlockable, because it's way more fun to feel like you've earned the content rather than shoving a few more bucks at the creators.

Sekakäyttäjä

2 words: Single Player

Exactly! No need for AI to ruin the mood, although I admit Rev 2 was fun when u had a friend to play with.

alternating plots based on how you play the game.

-Proper healing items (splint, bandages, vaccines, etc) to remedy specific body damages such as broken leg, eyesight, arm. Also, when you're healing, the character is healing in real time and you see the animation. This forces a more methodical approach to danger and a more survival feel to the game.

Environmental settings:

-Tropical forest/Jungle.
-Day/Night cycle with dynamic environmental changes

Yeah, right. When u're encaged in furious boss battle and take a break to heal yourself with proper medical equipment. Totally destroys the thrill of the game like it did in Snake Eater (still the worst in the series). Just keeping the rations on standby and automatically healing when death was closing in - simple, yet effective. And you don't have worry about monitoring anything but combat. So no, I don't wanna see that kind of failure in RE.

But the jungle idea is cool. Propably not what u meant, but I think it'd be awsome to have secret lab in the jungle. Similar to Parasite Eve 2 or something like that.

Resident evil 7 should have:- Chris would make his last appearance ( he would die at the end to claire´s arms and it would be saddest death at gaming ever. )
- and perfect place where everything would happen is abandoned mental hospital where dead patients would try to kill Claire & Jill

Someone did die on Claire's arms in Code Veronica, and it was the happiest moment at gaming ever. ^^
So, now we have a mental hospital in the jungle. ;)

- Single Player with NO support save for incredibly small increments that were story driven, comparable to what happens with Jill and Carlos in RE3.

- Over the Shoulder, but RE4 and RE5. As much as I like RE6 (That's right, I said it), I don't think you should be able to move and shoot at the same time.

- Cramped enclosed location with VERY little light. Take some notes from Silent Hill.

- A more mental type of horror. Lately I've played a lot of Slender: The Arrival, Fatal Frame, and P.T. and what those games to is...nothing. They will wait, and nothing will happen that scares you for a LONG time, sometimes you could go nearly an hour with nothing, so you almost forget it's horror, then you'll see a flash of a deathly figure out of the corner of your eye that absolutely terrifies you, and you run rather than fight.

Yes! RE 3 had those genius little plot twists. More of these!

Fixed angles 1996-2002. Critics were like "it's getting old". Shoulder 2004-2016 and everyone's still like "hey, this works". Well, it never appealed to me. Just cannot stand the character blocking your view (no matter how hot piece of ass he/she is). Or when u finally see something, it's just a useless, small shred. Like 1/100 out of what I'd like to see. And it gets even smaller every time you take aim.

Silent Hill? Never undestood the how this copy-and-paste environment got popular. Seriously, even the professionals on youtube check the map every two seconds. There never was need for map in RE games. Why? Because one could remember environment he/she had explored and plan the next step based on clear memory which was much more detailed than endless blackness, where u cannot see the enemies before u stand in front of them.

i would like to see a more interesting story than the one in re6,
simpler viruses and a lot of backtracking (it would be nice to have typewriters and ink ribbons back but with modern gaming that would annoy some fans and it is unpractical), slow but dangerous enemies and a clear goal to achieve.

Yeah! Lots of backtracking, items and puzzles, but this time with unlimited storage, of course.

I guess that pretty much sums up my ideal RE 7.

- Single player! Maybe optional multiplayer at bonus-game or something.
- Creepy atmosphere with detailed environments and memorable tunes.
- Fixed angles with additional camera-movement (Dino Crisis/Code Veronica)
- Perfect analog control, auto-aim, jump/dodge/somersault button.
- Weapons/items browsing with left/right and up/down buttons
- Backtracking / careful exploring
- No enemy hordes! Well, maybe once or twice ^^
- Colossal area to explore
- Corpses do not vanish when u leave the room / do not melt away after u killed them. (Silent Hill, this something u did better than RE. Cheers!)
- Since everyones throwing ideas about characters...personally I'd love to play Carlos. There'd be a horrific mansion or whatever, where by chance he would encounter his old sergeant, who's been searching new ways to earn his bonus. ^^

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Silent Hill? Never undestood the how this copy-and-paste environment got popular. Seriously, even the professionals on youtube check the map every two seconds. There never was need for map in RE games. Why? Because one could remember environment he/she had explored and plan the next step based on clear memory which was much more detailed than endless blackness, where u cannot see the enemies before u stand in front of them.
Silent Hill Level design is free-roam rather than labyrinthine like Resident evil level design which basically consists of like 70% narrow corridors.
maxresdefault.jpg

silent_hill_01.jpg

Silent Hill is based on a real life location and certainly does seem like an actual town and its fog is actually neat way to hide the poor draw-distance of the PS2.

Nuckelavee

As long as it isn't like Resident Evil 2 and 3 i'm fine, I hated those stupid streets and police office, it was not scary or horror at all.

I prefer a mixture of horror survival and shooter, so a mixture of 1 and 4 would be fantastic! I enjoyed almost all games, so most things are good for me, the worst thing would be that that horrible playstation (I HATE HATE it) would buy up all the rights and 7 would end up non playable for the PC.

And please no, Quick Time Events, Racing Game-stuff like in 6, time draining missions, typewriter save-style, 100 times revisiting the same room stuff, annoying pursuit missions, annoying camera like in 1 and 2 and small inventory with only 6 spaces.

Also I want infected like in 4, 5 and especially 6, not the boring easy-to-kill zombies, ignore the nostalgica people and just give me both! (Zombies being failed infected and they died and became zombies instead of infected)

I really enjoyed G'avo, so keep those coming!

Last edited:

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Based on current obtainable files found in game or just impossible period?

I feel like there's a story to be told that has been covered up for years. Burned all evidence and you uncover the first instance of zombies... Or would that **** with the lore

Someone help me out I could expand on this idea if it works

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm honestly alright with the action direction the series has taken; it's what makes the games so fun and replayable now. I wouldn't mind a darker/horror based atmosphere but I mostly just want better character and story development.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I'm honestly alright with the action direction the series has taken; it's what makes the games so fun and replayable now. I wouldn't mind a darker/horror based atmosphere but I mostly just want better character and story development.

100% agreed :p I've been saying this for months now ^.^

SnakeisFox95

Honestly...I want classic horror, this franchise was built on terrifying visuals, music and gameplay. What bothers me is the fact that I still do love Re4 but do blame its success for the drastic change in the series. Im hoping they focus on HUNK being a villian, because with Wesker gone we need a solid lead antagonist.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Honestly...I want classic horror, this franchise was built on terrifying visuals, music and gameplay. What bothers me is the fact that I still do love Re4 but do blame its success for the drastic change in the series. Im hoping they focus on HUNK being a villian, because with Wesker gone we need a solid lead antagonist.
This ^^

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm kinda done with action zombie war hero uses zombie head as a grenade while using his assault rifle to fend off the relentless horde ....of....whatever. I think if done right a more simplistic style could encompass way more feels, story, and ultimately change peoples idea about survival horror.

I'm a huge fan of the series because of this reason. The first three resi's hold a special place in my gamer heart because I felt like I could really die if I **** up my healing inventory.... When was the last time I saved?! **** better be careful.

Leave the action games for the spin offs if feel like capcom could have a whole series of (even canon) spin offs that could implement more action oriented style gaming and leave the series to build more on a franchise level. But those are just my feels about it. I think I would be disappointed in another action oriented resident evil

black 93

For me, a game with RE4's enviroments and art design, mixed with Revelations 2's likeable characters, mixed with lost in nightmares would be fantastic. I dont mind the over the shoulder, more action style gameplay, as thats what makes the newer games fun. I personally love getting a headshot, then punching a guy so hard his head explodes! ( Thank you RE5). There were times in lost in nightmares and Revelations 2 where i was genuinly hesitant to turn a corner, and there were times where i totally ran out of ammo and just had to haul ass. Im rambling now but my point is capcom CAN get the old resi feel with the new style. The main thing i want in RE7 is more emphasis on the characters snd story like revelations 2. One of the best parts of revelations 2 was the reveal about Moira accidently shooting her sister and Barry struggling with the blame all these years. One of the best things about RE6 ( in my opinion) was the whole fall and rise of the hero arc with Chris. Personally id like to see how Jake is dealing with the knowledge that his dad was the most dangerous bio terrorist on the planet for a while. Or how Jill is recovering, and the whole Alex/Natallia thing. There's enough stuff to work with there for a while.

Last edited:

Darth Spencer

I've seen this idea proposed before, but people always seem to forget that there wouldn't be any BOW's to fight in the 70's.
Based on current obtainable files found in game or just impossible period?

I feel like there's a story to be told that has been covered up for years. Burned all evidence and you uncover the first instance of zombies... Or would that **** with the lore

Someone help me out I could expand on this idea if it works
We know that Umbrella started creating B.O.W.s in the 60s. We also know that Wesker and Birkin have been partners since the late 70s. Maybe a game where Wesker and Birkin are the playable characters and the goal is to retrieve a virus from somewhere? Perhaps we could even meet Wesker's "parents" and gain insight into how Wesker and Birkin became so evil.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
We know that Umbrella started creating B.O.W.s in the 60s. We also know that Wesker and Birkin have been partners since the late 70s. Maybe a game where Wesker and Birkin are the playable characters and the goal is to retrieve a virus from somewhere? Perhaps we could even meet Wesker's "parents" and gain insight into how Wesker and Birkin became so evil.

Litterally all of your questions are officially answered here in the Wesker Report II.
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Wesker's_Report_II

Top Bottom