• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Why Kill Someone Off

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
sometimes capcoms age fixation is ridiculus
imagine if everyone was like that, like hollywood
making gandalf a teenager or something, its just stupid
i can understand why they did it in the first game cause in general back then gamers where younger
but these days many adults play games
...Age fixation. There are next to NO teenagers in RE. I mean, Claire is about as close as it comes. Leon, Chris, and Jill DEFINITELY age. Steve was young, but he died. Sherry was a KID. Hell, even when the games were starting all the characters were DEFINITELY adults accept for Rebecca. Which when the first game came out, she had a minor role. Chris is around 26 if I remember right, and Jill is very close to that age. Barry and Wesker are DEFINITELY older. So what "Youth Fixation" are you even talking about?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm the one who brought the age fixation into this, and it's true.

- Jill is an ex-Delta Force member at the age of 23. Even if they did accept women there, 23 is too young to be with a new organisation with a Delta Force career in the past.
- Chris is an ex-Air Force member at 25. I don't remember the specifics, but I read somewhere that this isn't very likely either.
- Rebecca is an ex-university student and member of an elite police unit at 18. Highly intelligent or not, those trainings take time.
- Steve, a seemingly normal teenager, can fly planes at 17. Is that ever explained?
- I realise the birth of Alexia and Alfred was a little manipulated, but an Umbrella researcher at 12? Come on...

Capcom got better with this over time, but it's still noticeable that almost every new playable character that is introduced in a new game is younger than 25. I think Parker is older than that, and 26-year-old Piers is also an exception, but look at the rest, especially the women...

weskerondope

what hel said
im allright with the fact that the characters where young,
what i dont think is okay is that characters are kicked out of the series maybe just cause their age
say what you want about barry but i think he is still fit for fight
and when i say barry is fit for fight i mean in the true resident evil spirit
you know back when resident evil was a survival horror game and not bruce lee karate kung fu ninja fighting action game

Zomie0f3vil

They need to make some new characters and stick with them like I hope they'll keep the other 2 new characters (Helena & Jake). I think it would be cool if Ada gets an Apprentice. I mean sometime the spy has to quit and give her job to the next person in line.

In resident evil 6, Leon and Chris were partnered up with young people who would probably gonna be the new them. Ada is my favorite because of the way she is. And I'm staring to think its okay if Piers is dead or not but sooner or later, the tradition will be passed on. And CAPCOM will probably end the series when you get a chance to be these new characters and will end it at that.

Sean_Pierce

I also accepted Piers' death but part of me still thinks he is alive for number of reasons. And that was even before reading a crazy-piled theories of him surviving (which laid out the pros and cons very well) [google "The Theories of Piers Nivans"]. But it's a given that his death was off-screen so that's one window of opportunity for the writers if they choose to use.

I also have a burning question about Carla. When Piers and Chris heard Carla's "voice mail", she responded to Chris after asking her "Ada? You're still alive?". / "Yes. Or at least that was me ...". She clearly died before that happened so I don't see how in the world she could be there. Unless it was an advanced after-death voice mail like the ones in I-Robot lol.

I'm also not too hopeful on the idea so I won't fall into a bigger disappointment. I wouldn't mind seeing Helena or Jake return. Ada's secret ending could be a tease to that or nothing more. Unless there's a bigger meaning behind it, I just find it random that her secret ending features someone other than her.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Please define "cheap knockoff". Piers is as much his own character as Chris is.

I consider him a cheap knockoff because he's nothing more than a young Chris. You can even see how their roles kind of switch throughout Resident Evil 6. In Chris' chapter 2, Piers displays signs of aggression which is most obvious in Jake's presence. Chris begins to act this way for most of chapter 3 but is able to do more with it since he is in the position of power. At this point Piers rises to the occasion and becomes the voice of reason much like Chris was before. Even his physical appearance is compared to that of Chris in Code Veronica.

As for getting rid of the latter, it could be a) because Chris is getting old (and we know that Capcom prefer the younger characters, to the point that they make them unrealistically young sometimes), or b) because Wesker is dead, which means that Chris's tale is told too and he has no more place in the series (which is not my personal opinion, but many fans, and perhaps even the developers, seem to think that Chris and Wesker can't go separate ways, and so far, Revelations was really the only game that featured Chris and didn't revolve around Wesker at some point in the story).

No... Capcom has revealed their intentions and they even admitted that it was going to be done for the shock value. They respect the character too much to let him die in such an unnatural way. If Chris is gonna die, it should be done more properly, something even Capcom understands. Also, Capcom has stated shortly after Resident Evil 6's release when discussing the possibility of a reboot, that fans want to see Chris and Jill again.

I would be careful with a statement like this. Like him or not, but it's clearly suggested that, if RE7 doesn't turn out to be a reboot, Jake will return, and it would be bull**** if he didn't. Capcom's attempt to please the Wesker fans who are still whining about the death of the videogame world's greatest villain ever (*cough*) might not have worked out the way they intended, but I'm pretty sure they won't drop him just like that.

After the bad rap Resident Evil 6 was hit with, I think Capcom is willing to reconsider. Jake was included to appeal to newcomers and I don't think Capcom can afford to attempt that again. If Jake does return, Capcom won't be getting my 60 dollars because THAT would be bull****. If they really want to fill Wesker's void, they shouldn't have made Derek Simmons a throwaway villain. Even better, they should have created a much more interesting more relevant plot revolving around Alex Wesker.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I consider him a cheap knockoff because he's nothing more than a young Chris. [...]

Well, I have nothing to say to that. To me they seem like two very different characters, certainly with a few similarities, but then again, there's a bunch of characteristics that all heroes in this franchise have in common. I won't argue if you see that differently.

No... Capcom has revealed...

Oh, please... Capcom has said and revealed so much that either mysteriously "changed" in the course of time or was never true to begin with. They can't even decide on something as simple as Chris's eye colour, and who knows if his death would really have been so shocking, considering how many fans think that his ending would have been better if his and Piers's roles had been reversed (including myself, although I would have liked it better if no one had died at all). I'm sure killing Leon would be a lot more shocking because he doesn't really have a reason to retire (or die) yet, and there seem to be more raging fanboys. But then again, they already killed off a major character in 5 (which was about time), no need to repeat that so soon.

If Jake does return, Capcom won't be getting my 60 dollars because THAT would be bull****.

You say that because you don't like him, but from a story point of view, it wouldn't make sense to put him on a bus just yet. May I ask why you hate Jake so much that you wouldn't buy the next game if it featured him? Sure, his sudden appearance as Wesker's son was an asspull, but it also made things more interesting because no one would have expected that. Just like back then in 2000 or so, when "Alexia" suddenly lost her wig and turned out to be Alfred in disguise...

If they really want to fill Wesker's void, they shouldn't have made Derek Simmons a throwaway villain.

Then you might have said that Simmons is just a cheap knockoff of Wesker like you think Piers is one of Chris, and chances are you would have been absolutely right. Personally, I don't need another Wesker, never liked the original to begin with. That's why I hope that Alex Wesker, despite all odds, will turn out to be a woman after all. Because then, even if it's "just another Wesker", at least something is different.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Well, I have nothing to say to that. To me they seem like two very different characters, certainly with a few similarities, but then again, there's a bunch of characteristics that all heroes in this franchise have in common. I won't argue if you see that differently.

I like Piers, but it was made pretty obvious that the goal was to replace Chris. That alone is my problem. He's a replacement character, not just another character. Like I said, I like Piers, but the reason for his creation is what made me go into RE6 with a negative opinion of him.

Oh, please... Capcom has said and revealed so much that either mysteriously "changed" in the course of time or was never true to begin with. They can't even decide on something as simple as Chris's eye colour, and who knows if his death would really have been so shocking, considering how many fans think that his ending would have been better if his and Piers's roles had been reversed (including myself, although I would have liked it better if no one had died at all). I'm sure killing Leon would be a lot more shocking because he doesn't really have a reason to retire (or die) yet, and there seem to be more raging fanboys. But then again, they already killed off a major character in 5 (which was about time), no need to repeat that so soon.

Yes, but the fact that they were referring to Resident Evil 6 as "dramatic horror" pretty much confirms what they were aiming for. Whether it would have shocked people is beyond the point and can't be determined unless it happened.

You say that because you don't like him, but from a story point of view, it wouldn't make sense to put him on a bus just yet. May I ask why you hate Jake so much that you wouldn't buy the next game if it featured him? Sure, his sudden appearance as Wesker's son was an asspull, but it also made things more interesting because no one would have expected that. Just like back then in 2000 or so, when "Alexia" suddenly lost her wig and turned out to be Alfred in disguise...

Why not? What does he have to offer? Resident Evil can go in any direction it wants to. Resident Evil 6 didn't really do much in terms of extending the lore. The whole story felt rather pointless and really didn't set up for some bigger picture.

His sudden appearance was a factor, but one I could have gotten over if his character wasn't so stupid and annoying. First off, it's obvious that he was there to fill in a void... which he will never fill. To do that, they threw him in our face and expected us to like him because we're mindless Call of Duty fans who'll eat up a guy in black who kicks ass and acts tough. His daddy issues and problems with Chris was also very irritating. It all made no sense and was half assed for the sake of giving us a throwback to Albert Wesker. He came off as a whiny over the top dumbass, and someone like that has no place in a series like this, especially if the goal is to return to survival horror. He can just punch and kick his way through monsters anyhow... And here I thought that nothing could get stupider than Chris punching a bolder...

Then you might have said that Simmons is just a cheap knockoff of Wesker like you think Piers is one of Chris, and chances are you would have been absolutely right. Personally, I don't need another Wesker, never liked the original to begin with. That's why I hope that Alex Wesker, despite all odds, will turn out to be a woman after all. Because then, even if it's "just another Wesker", at least something is different.

He would have been, but even then, killing Wesker was stupid to begin with. Resident Evil 5 had something going with the whole Alex Wesker thing. Most of the mystery came from the fact that he wasn't really mentioned verbally and he's someone who is being talked up as better than Albert through files, which I was hoping for Resident Evil 6 to shed some light on. At the same time, I think Wesker was ended too quickly.

They should have dragged out RE5 and worked the plot in a way where Chris and Sheva had failed to stop Wesker's launch so in the next game it becomes a bunch of heroes teaming up to fight the global war much like RE6, just with more relevant characters. If they would have done that, then I would have been okay with retiring the main cast. The series is just a steaming pile of **** right now. There's no closure to anything. Leon feels irrelevant, they don't know what the hell to do with Ada anymore, Jill is just there, and Chris is getting drunk in bars now... Honestly, a reboot would do this series good as much as it pains me to say it.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have minded if Chris or Leon died in this game as long as it was a good death like Piers. (I was almost certain Leon was gonna die in this one.) One of the main reasons I get ****ed over character deaths is not because the character died, but because it wasn't done right. *coughweskercough* (Or for anyone who watched the season finale of AHS Coven, seriously WTF!?)

Anyways, I was kinda hoping Chris died in 5 with Wesker, Not because I don't like him but because it would have been a fitting closure for his character and story. I agree with what a lot of people have already said, id rather the series end instead of continuing with new characters...Although I feel I may be at odds with that because Piers was impressive, I might have liked him as a Chris replacement.(Not that anyone could truely replace the classic RE characters.) And I love Jake, not that he can take Wesker's place, but it helps with the loss.

As silly as it may sound, just like getting over the loss of someone or something valuble in real life, it's not easy to deal with a replacement, or a new one altogether. Some people make it sound degrading and nerdy, but people grow emotional attachments to these fictional characters. I freakin' grew up with Leon and Wesker man! (And the others of course)

Zomie0f3vil

Same here it's not that his death wasn't good, it's just that, to me, you don't kill a resident evil character off if he or she is someone you can be.

Sean_Pierce

I wouldn't have minded if Chris or Leon died in this game as long as it was a good death like Piers. (I was almost certain Leon was gonna die in this one.) One of the main reasons I get ****ed over character deaths is not because the character died, but because it wasn't done right. *coughweskercough* (Or for anyone who watched the season finale of AHS Coven, seriously WTF!?)

Anyways, I was kinda hoping Chris died in 5 with Wesker, Not because I don't like him but because it would have been a fitting closure for his character and story. I agree with what a lot of people have already said, id rather the series end instead of continuing with new characters...Although I feel I may be at odds with that because Piers was impressive, I might have liked him as a Chris replacement.(Not that anyone could truely replace the classic RE characters.) And I love Jake, not that he can take Wesker's place, but it helps with the loss.

As silly as it may sound, just like getting over the loss of someone or something valuble in real life, it's not easy to deal with a replacement, or a new one altogether. Some people make it sound degrading and nerdy, but people grow emotional attachments to these fictional characters. I freakin' grew up with Leon and Wesker man! (And the others of course)

Well said. Piers just seemed like the perfect character to step forward after Chris, whether dead or retired. I wouldn't mind if Resident Evil 7 would be the last title before an assumed-reboot happens, especially if it means seeing Piers one last time. It'd be cool if he comes back as a hybrid of what he mutated while partly human. I'll leave to the writers on that part for explanation lol. It's odd that I really connected with Piers in just one game, let alone his campaign. Claire is the other character I really "grew up" with. The rest for some reason I never was able to, including Wesker, which I find odd from people who do like him. I respect that anyway.

Top Bottom