• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Why Kill Someone Off

Zomie0f3vil

Why would they kill Piers off? Like the other conversation "I'll Be Back", why would you kill him off. I don' think he is dead though. It showed another escape pod by Chris when that big B.O.W. And if your about to ask what shocked the B.O.W., take a look in the inside when it was falling apart before the shock. What shocked the B.O.W. was the electricity in the facility. And how it shot out was the same way the escape pod did. Anyways, it doesn't matter who they kill off, it will still bother. I'll go really crazy if Ada was killed off.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I agree with you, but there's already three or four other threads about Piers and whether or not it was a good idea to seemingly kill him off. Everyone has already shared their views and opinions, maybe that's why no one replies anymore.

However, I would really appreciate it if one of the people who claim that there's another escape pod leaving the underwater facility could show me a screenshot of that very moment. I put that cutscene in my video editing program, made it brighter and clearer, watched it in slow motion and paused it repeatedly, but I just can't see that alleged other escape pod. There are several in the facility, but Chris's is the only one moving.

Zomie0f3vil

All I'm trying to say is that he may come back. All I really want to know is what happened to him after Chris left the facility, i want to see his point of view.

Zomie0f3vil

I played the campaign again and I saw escape pods. There was 2 in the facility. 1 on the right & 1 on the left, they chose the right. Pluse the was one that u could see that has escaped when you could see Haos coming up to get Chris.

So I believe there is a chance he is alive.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Chris was originally meant to die, but capcom chickened out of the decision and shoved it onto the partner.
I personally think the games overall realism and impact would have been better if Chris had died.
I believe piers is dead, I don't see how or why he would have survived that.

Bring him back as a mercs character yes but not a plot character.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Chris was originally meant to die, but capcom chickened out of the decision and shoved it onto the partner.
I personally think the games overall realism and impact would have been better if Chris had died.
I believe piers is dead, I don't see how or why he would have survived that.

Bring him back as a mercs character yes but not a plot character.
I wanted Chris to die...I think it would have been fantastic and heroic if he did...But no...I have to say that's honestly the most disappointing thing about RE6 to me, as that Chris lived...They better at least be decent enough to retire him from the series or kill him in the NEXT game..

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I wanted Chris to die...I think it would have been fantastic and heroic if he did...But no...I have to say that's honestly the most disappointing thing about RE6 to me, as that Chris lived...They better at least be decent enough to retire him from the series or kill him in the NEXT game..
Nah the moments passed,
They set it up perfectly to happen but stopped it. If they just kill him in the next one it would seem like an obvious pressure to get rid of him.
He just needs a lesser role.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Nah the moments passed,
They set it up perfectly to happen but stopped it. If they just kill him in the next one it would seem like an obvious pressure to get rid of him.
He just needs a lesser role.
Honestly, I'd be okay with a lesser role. Retire him from the series, make him a cutscene only character or something...

black 93

i agree chris should have died of anyone. Lets face it the guys gotta be close to if not in his 40's now, he's done the most out of all the characters in the series and him dying to save the world from the c virus would have been theperfect end to his story and would have shaken the series up. I cant think of anyone better to replace chris than piers and if capcom are planning on keepin the series going their eventually gunna need a new cast Also would have made a good excuse to bring claire back as everyone keeps beggin for lol

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
They could still keep it goin, we got used to the old characters, I think that our new generation will get used to the new ones.
I think that would just be a sh*tty idea though. I mean, movie sequels that don't use the characters from the first generally suck. It doesn't feel like the same thing anymore. It ruins what it was in most cases. I mean, look at J.K. Rowling. The reason she's been SO successful is because she grew WITH her audience. The tweens that started reading in the late nighties grew up with the characters in the book. RE is much the same. So finding a stopping point SOON is a great move. Then you REboot the series.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Why would they kill Piers off? Like the other conversation "I'll Be Back", why would you kill him off. I don' think he is dead though. It showed another escape pod by Chris when that big B.O.W. And if your about to ask what shocked the B.O.W., take a look in the inside when it was falling apart before the shock. What shocked the B.O.W. was the electricity in the facility. And how it shot out was the same way the escape pod did. Anyways, it doesn't matter who they kill off, it will still bother. I'll go really crazy if Ada was killed off.
Killing off a character is a controversial method of forcing players to let go of the security of the bond with their partner. It develops both you and the character, having just lost an individual that has saved you countless times and one that has kept you company.

A major caveat to this is doing it too willingly. A lot of likable characters in the RE universe have been mercilessly killed off to advance the story. Literary speaking, advancing the plot through the death of a character is quite a poor method and can backfire.

Regarding the escape pod: a man can dream. That is all.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Some of you are way too hopeful about Piers. Considering he used all that energy to save Chris and shoot Haos one last time, after the fact that he made Chris leave alone, I highly doubt Piers escaped. First of all, why would he? He has no motivation to do so, the guy's a monster, he sacrificed himself, end of story.

As for Chris dying, I think it was a stupid idea from the beginning. I'm glad Capcom pulled out since it was done purely for the shock value and overall would have been lame. They were trying hard to be as dramatic as possible and in the end would have tarnished a great character's legacy by ending him in a game that turned out the way it did with some new guy we're expected like and accept as his replacement. First off, Piers will never replace Chris as he would be nothing more than a cheap knockoff. So why even get rid of Chris if he clearly still has a presence in the series?

Don't get me wrong, I like Piers, but he along with Jake, Helena, and Sheva have no place reappearing in this series. These characters have no history and are nothing more than co-op partners. Out of the four characters listed, only three of them were made or had expanded roles for the wrong reasons, therefore, losing any sort of connection with fans. Chris, Jill, Leon, etc. were there from day one. We got to see them grow and become justified badasses. All these new characters feel flat and forced just to fill the games. What makes Jake so badass and fearless? Not that he's been through sh*t before, he's awesome because Capcom wants him to be. They're gonna slap the Wesker name on him and we're gonna eat it up. F*ck that.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
I am glad that they didn't kill Chris because of he died Claire would be devastated. I don't have anything against Piers he was a good man and a brave solider. I am really sad that he died but at least he died with honor.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
First off, Piers will never replace Chris as he would be nothing more than a cheap knockoff. So why even get rid of Chris if he clearly still has a presence in the series?

Please define "cheap knockoff". Piers is as much his own character as Chris is.

As for getting rid of the latter, it could be a) because Chris is getting old (and we know that Capcom prefer the younger characters, to the point that they make them unrealistically young sometimes), or b) because Wesker is dead, which means that Chris's tale is told too and he has no more place in the series (which is not my personal opinion, but many fans, and perhaps even the developers, seem to think that Chris and Wesker can't go separate ways, and so far, Revelations was really the only game that featured Chris and didn't revolve around Wesker at some point in the story).

Don't get me wrong, I like Piers, but he along with Jake, Helena, and Sheva have no place reappearing in this series.

I would be careful with a statement like this. Like him or not, but it's clearly suggested that, if RE7 doesn't turn out to be a reboot, Jake will return, and it would be bull**** if he didn't. Capcom's attempt to please the Wesker fans who are still whining about the death of the videogame world's greatest villain ever (*cough*) might not have worked out the way they intended, but I'm pretty sure they won't drop him just like that.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
i agree chris should have died of anyone. Lets face it the guys gotta be close to if not in his 40's now, he's done the most out of all the characters in the series and him dying to save the world from the c virus would have been theperfect end to his story and would have shaken the series up. I cant think of anyone better to replace chris than piers and if capcom are planning on keepin the series going their eventually gunna need a new cast Also would have made a good excuse to bring claire back as everyone keeps beggin for lol
Man, leave Claire retired. There's no need to bring people back. Besides, revenge isn't in Claire's character. She's not the type to go after revenge. They need to slowly whittle down the characters until the series is finished.

weskerondope

sometimes capcoms age fixation is ridiculus
imagine if everyone was like that, like hollywood
making gandalf a teenager or something, its just stupid
i can understand why they did it in the first game cause in general back then gamers where younger
but these days many adults play games

Top Bottom