• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Why Do Capcom Keep Adding New Characters?

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
First of all I would just like to say hi...first time posting on here :)

Anyway since that is out of the way

Why do Capcom keep adding new characters to the RE, this really bugs me especialy in RE6

The new characters in RE6 are Helena Harper, Piers Nivans and Jake Muller

Jake Muller I don't really mind since he is Wesker Jr, Weskers son, so it links him to a very important character to the RE franchise but the other two I just don't see the point in

I know for a fact that, just like Sheva in RE5, I will not care about Piers and Helena, I just don't see why they can't write in old, fan favorites that havent been seen for years.

I never cared for Sheva. Jessica, Parker so I know I'm not going to care much for them two.

You would think because Bioterrorism has become a bigger threat in the RE games that because Chris, Jill and apparently eight others (which they could of said was the survivng STARS members Rebbeca and Barry after they were part of the chain of events that lead to the increase of Bioterrorism) created the BSAA, Jill Barry and Rebbeca would of been involved in RE6 making them your partner in Chris's story instead of Piers. Least then they could actually give us some backstory on them and let us know what has been going on with Barry and Rebbeca since we last saw them.

I also find it strange that with the new info thats popped up about Chris...

"A tramatic event occurs in Chris Redfield’s life during his mission in Lianshang, China. This completely changes his personality to a more cryptic and pessimistic Chris Redfield"

I'm guessing it's because his team is killed by "Ada/Carla" but if he suffering this tramtic event, where the hell is Jill, his best friend, long term partner and maybe even a love interest, the one person who should be supporting him is no where to be seen and has been replaced by a no name character we'll probably not care about. Come on how can Capcom do this to Chris and Jill isn't there to support him. Will we ever see a RE game where they are both together for the full game working side by side.

Moving on to Helena...

You know who I'm going to say should of been Leons partner instead of Helena...Claire Redfield. They should of wrote the story around him needing Claires help after being framed for killing the President which would of then then lead them to China.

Now the reason why I think it would of been nice to include Claire, especialy in this instalment, is because Sherry Birkin has returned. The Leon/Claire/Sherry renuion would of been nice since they havent seen Sherry since she was taken by the Government.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I understand that some of you like new characters but wouldn't you of wanted old fan favorites back. It just seems pointless to keep adding new characters when theres old characters who havent been seen for ages Barry, Rebbeca, Billy, HUNK, Carlos for example. They should really develop the old characters more before the time comes to move on and pass the torch onto new characters.

Thoughts on this...
--- Because people want new stories!! People dont want to play the same game over and over again..............oops unless theyre 13 and are call of duty kids, lol!!!! But seriously it freshens up the story it also branches off to better plots, more drama, and even deeper into the lore for us hardcore resident evil fans. I was 16 when the first resident evil came out Im 31 now I highly doubt If they never brought new characters or changed it I or anyone else would still be interested nor would Capcom. I love all the games except dead aim.......-I have all the games on PS3= 1- 3 on my hard drive, code veronica/resident evil 4 on hd box set, resident evil 5 gold edition. Mercs and Revelations on 3ds. -Just waiting till my Darkside chronicles HD set is delivered in june :) . Sure you can love the original characters, we all do!! Just save them for special moments for fan service.....Like RESIDENT EVIL 6 !!! J ust think, this year were are getting resident evil retribution movie in sept, resident evil 6 in october, resident evil downfall for 3ds in oct/nov, the damnation movie in november !!!!- An Amazing year to be a fan, just enjoy it.....!

HELLBOY1980

long story short, they simply needed a extra character for the "co op" gameplay and thus they created new characters just so they would not have to find a way to reintroduce old characters to accompany the main character.

With a older character they would have to find a way to explain what the old character like say Claire Redfield has been doing for the last 10 years and also find a way to work her into RE6 story. with a new character a lot of the guest work is taking out since you can come up with new **** straight outta your arse to work them in.

Thats how I look at it...
-Claires going to star in new 3ds downfall, thats why

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The only character that it really irks me they won't let us know anything else about is Rebecca. I just wanna see a file on her, she's been gone the longest out of all of them (besides Billy who doesn't want to be seen again.) I'd just really love to see something about her again. I don't think she's going to be in Damnation anymore as it follows Leon. Besides in the Wesker report in the original Japanese version it says she's dead. I think they killed her off and don't want to have anything else to do with her.

They've pretty much forgotten about her, and I don't think she'll ever come back unfortunately. They could've done a lot with her character, especially now that she's more matured. She could of had training from Chris and Jill in martial arts to be more ready to fight. I always thought she'd come back as some badass with awesome fighting skills and lust for revenge (if they actually killed off a main character for once that could work, especially Chris.)

RE6 Better have a file on her... 30 hours of gameplay and the only reason I'll be buying this game is for a damn file or something. Probably won't even get that because the people at Capcom have more than likely forgotten who she is. Total bullsh!t.

/end rant.
Well, the Wesker report is out-dated, and it's been shown somewhere (Though I can't remember where) that her status reads "Alive"...And the director of Degeneration (Who is also doing Damnation) eluded to Rebecca being in it in an interview...he said something along the lines of, "Well a lot of fans have been wondering what happened to Rebecca, so we'll see what happens" the he smiled...That's why a lot of us think she'll be in Damnation...Plus, it's been so long, I really don't see the point in her being in a 30 hour long game...A file may be nice, but that's about it...Don't get me wrong, I love Rebecca, but I think she's served her time...
The thing is for those saying they have to move on is that they don't even try to make us care for any of the new characters, so it's kind of pointless at the end of the day

I wouldn't mind if in the spin off games they add new characters but with the main series they should add them again

I don't think their stories are finished because I don't think they can ever get away what happened to them in the mansion inncident.

"RE is supposed to be realistic, and the only way to do that is with a large cast that shows how this effects people all over the world..."

Realistic.....RE.....I highly doubt that, RE is anything but realistic. It's a game they could easily add past characters and this "16 year franchise" means nothing, they can still keep the old characters to give them a proper send off because it's only once every few years we get a sequel to the main games.
Why add new characters in Spin-off games? That defeats the purpose of continuing the story? You can't just have the same characters over and over...If anything, old characters should take the spin-offs just to appease the older fans, then they should have new characters take main roles in the MAIN games...

And Capcom is trying with their new characters...For example, nearly EVERYONE hates Sheva, but there are those few who really REALLY love her...I mean, I've never met a Sheva fan that WASN'T and extremist...Jessica you weren't SUPPOSED to like...She was a bad guy...And you're making predetermined judgments about these new guys, because in all honesty, we don't know a whole helluva lot about them yet...So really, to be fair to RE6, you need to wait and play the game...

You said you think they'd never be able to get over the Mansion Incident...Well, different people handle different things differently...So perhaps some of them (Rebecca and Barry mainly) DID get over it...Besides, with a world now in the GRIP of bio-terrorism, I think just focusing on the Mansion Incident characters is a bit petty...There have been FAR worse outbreaks than the Mansion Incident..

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
i don't think it's a problem IMO, realistically you're saying they should have just stuck with the original resident evil 1 cast then if that's how you feel, i mean as of resident evil 1, any character after that is considered "new"
they keep adding new characters to mix things up, there's only so much drama you can fit in someone's life, so it would seem silly having the same incidents happening to the same select characters over for example 10 games.

Leon Alexis

Why do Capcom keep adding new characters? Because they have to! o.k? Because in one day Chris will be dead and Jill and Claire,even perfect Leon will be dead (btw, he looks older)Because it wont be realistic if Jill in 2033 year in some RE11 will be running with her perfect ass. Capcom want us to like/love new characters,and I do not know how and why old characters will be dieing,but I surely know that heroes do not dieing on a couch or sofa watching TV. Sorry.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I definitely agree with this. I don't see why Capcom keeps inventing tons of new characters like Piers and Helena when they could have easily been replaced by characters like Barry and Claire. I love that Capcom are bringing Sherry back so we can see what happened to her after Raccoon city, this is what it should be like for other characters from the older games.
Btw I really, really hope that the Downfall rumour is true.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I definitely agree with this. I don't see why Capcom keeps inventing tons of new characters like Piers and Helena when they could have easily been replaced by characters like Barry and Claire. I love that Capcom are bringing Sherry back so we can see what happened to her after Raccoon city, this is what it should be like for other characters from the older games.
Btw I really, really hope that the Downfall rumour is true.
...Why bring back characters who's story has ended...

How could Helena be replaced by and older character...What other character that already exists works directly for the president besides Leon...And Barry is HOW old now...There has really gotta be an age requirement for BSAA field agents...You can't just use the same characters over and over...Where is the realism and fun in that...When something goes on for sixteen years, and hell, becomes a world wide threat, then it's going to affect more than the same 4 people over and over...

Aleck

Biohazard
I don't think we've seen the last of Claire Redfield or Jill Valentine.

I'm all for a little change in the RE games. I was one of those who didn't hate on RE 4 because it "wasn't zombies anymore" as others complained about. It was new creatures and a familiar hero, it was an exciting adventure for me. Speaking of Leon, I wonder if he'll be able to save Ada from this one. That is, if it is Ada whom Chris wants to shoot in the trailer.

Perhaps Resident Evil 7 will bring together both Jill and Claire somehow? The possibilities are endless. They're fan favorites just like Leon and Chris, so I highly doubt their appearances are over. Their old stories ended, but they can obviously create new ones, and they more than likely will.

I do agree with the thread creator though. It's hard to keep up with so many characters, they should tone it down a little. I did like Luis Sera, Sheva, Parker, and Jessica though. It's too bad Luis got killed off.

Edit - I would have enjoyed playing some type of spin off like Revelations with Luis and Ashley somehow reuniting for their own adventure.I very much enjoyed their characters. Maybe Luis can be revived or cloned somehow?

As for Rebbecca Chambers, I don't think she was as popular as other characters in the series, and although I'm sure she has her supporters and RE0 was a blast, she seems to remain in the background when Resident Evil is mentioned. It would be nice to see her again, even in a smaller supporting role.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
As for Rebbecca Chambers, I don't think she was as popular as other characters in the series, and although I'm sure she has her supporters and RE0 was a blast, she seems to remain in the background when Resident Evil is mentioned. It would be nice to see her again, even in a smaller supporting role.
I'd have to disagree here my friend...Rebecca has more of a following that Claire I bet anything...I see a LOT more Rebecca fans on here than I do Claire...And the die hard Claire fans never really seem to stick around...Obviously Jill is the reigning queen of RE, but I bet anything Rebecca comes in second...

Aleck

Biohazard
I'd have to disagree here my friend...Rebecca has more of a following that Claire I bet anything...I see a LOT more Rebecca fans on here than I do Claire...And the die hard Claire fans never really seem to stick around...Obviously Jill is the reigning queen of RE, but I bet anything Rebecca comes in second...

Okay. I can see that...but even still, I'll bet we'll see Claire in another game, before we do Rebecca. By the way, I like Rebecca, but Claire Redfield clearly has a bigger role and presence in Resident Evil thus far.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
hmm i guess rebecca is the cute innocent one you'd want to protect, and i never really rated claire very high, so i guess i'd agree with KK, i'd rather see rebecca return in future releases

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Okay. I can see that...but even still, I'll bet we'll see Claire in another game, before we do Rebecca. By the way, I like Rebecca, but Claire Redfield clearly has a bigger role and presence in Resident Evil thus far.
I just find it hard to believe she'd be bag when it was clearly stated that she was no longer a fighter...Btw, the movies Degeneration and Damnation are cannon, and the director of Degeneration eluded to Rebecca being in Damnation...

Aleck

Biohazard
Yes, I totally get that, except I'm talking games here. Claire Redfield is likely to be featured in the next canon game, as opposed to them putting in Rebecca. I welcome the RE0 star in the next film if she does make it on there.

I can see why you find it hard to believe, nevertheless, it's not impossible and I think it's fair to expect her in some role in the next canon game.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yes, I totally get that, except I'm talking games here. Claire Redfield is likely to be featured in the next canon game, as opposed to them putting in Rebecca. I welcome the RE0 star in the next film if she does make it on there.

I can see why you find it hard to believe, nevertheless, it's not impossible and I think it's fair to expect her in some role in the next canon game.
Games or not...It's all part of one cannon STORY...And if they make a statement in a cannon movie, they wouldn't contradict it in a game...How is Claire more likely than Rebecca? To me, they are about equal...Hell...Rebecca is MORE likely because her character did not have the closure that Claire did...

Aleck

Biohazard
No reason to get worked up over it. How about we just wait and see? With the success of the RE games and films, I'm sure we'll find out sooner than later just who makes a return first, yes? I see why it makes perfect sense to you, that Rebecca has a better chance of returning, but I like to go with a more simple approach which is: Claire Redfield is a more prominent character in the Resident Evil franchise. I don't dismiss that Chambers eventually returns in some way, she's just not as important to the franchise as Claire is, atleast so far. This isn't meant to **** off the Rebecca fanboys.

You keep mentioning that Claire's story had, "closure," yet if I throw mud against the wall as you're doing with Chambers, I'm sure we can come up with a reason or two for her inevitable return, don't you? For example, I can argue that at the end of Code Veronica, Claire and Chris made a pact to put an end to Umbrella and Co. Something they evidently have yet to accomplish as shown in RE6. Leon is working with Chris now, but who's to say Claire won't be thrown back into the fray in the subsequent storyline for RE 7 or whatever next canon game after RE6? We can't know for sure. You could have made the same case for Leon after RE2. Going by what happened, it was Claire who had unfinished business searching for Chris, Using your own logic, Leon was done with the series for all we knew. He escaped. What about Jill Valentine after RE3 Nemesis? She escaped too. An end of one chapter, doesn't mean it's all said and done.

Jump a few years ahead and what happens with the once rookie cop who survived the Raccoon City outbreak? That's right, he's back...brand new story, same old character. Resident Evil 4 gave Leon a brand new reason to embark on another adventure, slight as it was (rescuing Ashley), it's canon is it not? Jill is also in the thick of the RE5 story isn't she? I'm sure you played the added scenario with her and Chris where ANOTHER NEW STORYLINE is created with the same old character. They don't disappear just because you say they had their closure. It's a franchise based on fantasy. Technically speaking, they never die.

There you go....it's not that hard to come up with new stories for familiar faces. How do you think heroes keep coming back for new adventures/storylines?

In the Resident Evil universe, Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire are 4 of many heroes. They'll keep coming back. It's not uncommon, my friend. ;)

HELLBOY1980

-Frankly Id really like to see a bad @$$ biznich that goes all out beating zombies faces in....not the run of the mill resident evil girls were used to. -Have her blast a zombie in the head and then stomp on their faces saying, " take that you flthy maggot bucket! " But hot looking with some tattoos and piercings-make her like jack from mass effect!

Top Bottom