• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Why Do Capcom Keep Adding New Characters?

KrinkSink

First of all I would just like to say hi...first time posting on here :)

Anyway since that is out of the way

Why do Capcom keep adding new characters to the RE, this really bugs me especialy in RE6

The new characters in RE6 are Helena Harper, Piers Nivans and Jake Muller

Jake Muller I don't really mind since he is Wesker Jr, Weskers son, so it links him to a very important character to the RE franchise but the other two I just don't see the point in

I know for a fact that, just like Sheva in RE5, I will not care about Piers and Helena, I just don't see why they can't write in old, fan favorites that havent been seen for years.

I never cared for Sheva. Jessica, Parker so I know I'm not going to care much for them two.

You would think because Bioterrorism has become a bigger threat in the RE games that because Chris, Jill and apparently eight others (which they could of said was the survivng STARS members Rebbeca and Barry after they were part of the chain of events that lead to the increase of Bioterrorism) created the BSAA, Jill Barry and Rebbeca would of been involved in RE6 making them your partner in Chris's story instead of Piers. Least then they could actually give us some backstory on them and let us know what has been going on with Barry and Rebbeca since we last saw them.

I also find it strange that with the new info thats popped up about Chris...

"A tramatic event occurs in Chris Redfield’s life during his mission in Lianshang, China. This completely changes his personality to a more cryptic and pessimistic Chris Redfield"

I'm guessing it's because his team is killed by "Ada/Carla" but if he suffering this tramtic event, where the hell is Jill, his best friend, long term partner and maybe even a love interest, the one person who should be supporting him is no where to be seen and has been replaced by a no name character we'll probably not care about. Come on how can Capcom do this to Chris and Jill isn't there to support him. Will we ever see a RE game where they are both together for the full game working side by side.

Moving on to Helena...

You know who I'm going to say should of been Leons partner instead of Helena...Claire Redfield. They should of wrote the story around him needing Claires help after being framed for killing the President which would of then then lead them to China.

Now the reason why I think it would of been nice to include Claire, especialy in this instalment, is because Sherry Birkin has returned. The Leon/Claire/Sherry renuion would of been nice since they havent seen Sherry since she was taken by the Government.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I understand that some of you like new characters but wouldn't you of wanted old fan favorites back. It just seems pointless to keep adding new characters when theres old characters who havent been seen for ages Barry, Rebbeca, Billy, HUNK, Carlos for example. They should really develop the old characters more before the time comes to move on and pass the torch onto new characters.

Thoughts on this...

ToCool74

Veteran Member
long story short, they simply needed a extra character for the "co op" gameplay and thus they created new characters just so they would not have to find a way to reintroduce old characters to accompany the main character.

With a older character they would have to find a way to explain what the old character like say Claire Redfield has been doing for the last 10 years and also find a way to work her into RE6 story. with a new character a lot of the guest work is taking out since you can come up with new **** straight outta your arse to work them in.

Thats how I look at it...

KrinkSink

Hmmm....Seems kind of lazy to me

However this is Capcom, I'm not all that surprized.

The problem is though the more games that come out the harder it's going to be to think of a way to bring the characters back and explain where they have been

I mean they could just use "Reports" and "Files" that you can find explaining where they have been.

zeroskaterz92

Hmmm....Seems kind of lazy to me
i think introducing a new characters aren't lazy, basically you can do new tons of thing. i mean, if they keep using the same old characters, that's lazy and lack of idea.

for example like Billy Coen from RE0. at the end he said he want to start a new life. if later Capcom make him return as a playable character or as someone involve to the recent incident, that's BS.

Capcom don't need to return all the previous characters (for those who demands their return), it's better for certain to remain as "mystery". i'm sure most people want HUNK return (even i did), yet Capcom didn't do that, cuz HUNK is better off as a mysterious character and he's cool that way.

or someone like Barry, yeah, for sure he want to atone his sins for what he did in RE1, but it doesn't mean that he needs to be in a special or suicide mission just to atone for his sins.

even for a character like Claire, she doesn't want to fighting those infected anymore. she joining TerraSave just to aid, to provide medical for those who needs. so she will be less important for a bio-terrorism war or to take down the virus facility.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The older character's stories are finished dude...Barry is too old by now to effectively carry on...And Chris can't ALWAYS be partnered with Jill...In an organization as large as the BSAA what are the odds of that...They are both too experienced...They need partners that can learn from them...Rebecca it would be nice to hear from, but we don't NEED to see her again...What's the point? She can't add any more to the story that they couldn't do with someone else...Peirce is a logical character...He's young, and more reminiscent of the Chris we USED to know...And again, it really shows how big the BSAA is...It's NOT a minor Agency...They are a full blown power...Also, Chris is a captain now, so he obviously controls his own force...Pierce could just be what's left of this force after the rest is killed off...

As for Leon/Helena...What old character is Leon gonna work with...honestly...He works DIRECTLY for the president..What old character does that...Answer...None...So they NEED a new one...Leon can't be the ONLY person who protects the president's family after all...

Jessica was a great character...She is now a possible antagonist for later RE games...Sheva, there was no excuse for...She should NEVER come back as she is by far the worst RE character in HISTORY...

You can't use Claire anymore, in Degeneration(Which IS cannon to the games BTW) Leon CLEARLY states her fight is over...In other words, she's done with the series...Why bring her back when her main point, her search for Chris, is over...Also, she works for TeraSave now...So she doesn't go into the field guns a blazzin'...Again, this is CLEARLY stated...

Billy's story is OBVIOUSLY done...He went and started a new life...Bringing him back would be a waste of a PERFECT ending...Carlos worked for Umbrella, they fell...So why bring him back...He was just a smaller (Though still great) character that made a perfect one game wonder...HUNK I don't think we've seen the last of, but why even bring him up? He's not a main character/protagonist...It's not like we'd be playing as him...Like I said earlier, we don't really NEED Rebecca, besides, there are rumors she'll be in the new movie Damnation, which is also going to be cannon to the games...So there ya go...At the end of the day, it would be unrealistic to keep using the same old characters over and OVER...RE is supposed to be realistic, and the only way to do that is with a large cast that shows how this effects people all over the world...

In closing, fan favorites are for side games...

svp

What's wrong with cosplay?
nothin, by Wac jobs I mean totally cool peeps, I was just jokin :D I respect the dedication they have to their craft, besides we are all nerds on here, so whether u are behind a computer or dressed as capt Falcon we should all love one another. gamer power! I wish I can make outfits like that

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
nothin, by Wac jobs I mean totally cool peeps, I was just jokin :D I respect the dedication they have to their craft, besides we are all nerds on here, so whether u are behind a computer or dressed as capt Falcon we should all love one another. gamer power! I wish I can make outfits like that
Lol...I've cosplayed once, but I have NO clue how to do it...I went as none other than Leon because his was rather simple to throw together 14 hours before the convention...

svp

Lol...I've cosplayed once, but I have NO clue how to do it...I went as none other than Leon because his was rather simple to throw together 14 hours before the convention...
yeah, except for all his hair product...I have never cosplayed, but I do look kinda like Leon :cool:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
dumb question but what is PM?
Lol...Private message...You and I are already doing it...

Don't worry, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions...Btw, I wasn't calling you one of those people lol...

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
The only character that it really irks me they won't let us know anything else about is Rebecca. I just wanna see a file on her, she's been gone the longest out of all of them (besides Billy who doesn't want to be seen again.) I'd just really love to see something about her again. I don't think she's going to be in Damnation anymore as it follows Leon. Besides in the Wesker report in the original Japanese version it says she's dead. I think they killed her off and don't want to have anything else to do with her.

They've pretty much forgotten about her, and I don't think she'll ever come back unfortunately. They could've done a lot with her character, especially now that she's more matured. She could of had training from Chris and Jill in martial arts to be more ready to fight. I always thought she'd come back as some badass with awesome fighting skills and lust for revenge (if they actually killed off a main character for once that could work, especially Chris.)

RE6 Better have a file on her... 30 hours of gameplay and the only reason I'll be buying this game is for a damn file or something. Probably won't even get that because the people at Capcom have more than likely forgotten who she is. Total bullsh!t.

/end rant.

sbr999

I think it's fine that they add new characters (as long as they are not like Ashley/Sheva/or some overpowered bimbo from the movies *cough*). The series is running for 16 years now, so it's normal that they can't have have the same main characters all the time. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if they start to leave them soon now (Leon, Chris etc) and have completely new characters that relate to the original protagonists, but also bring a completely new 'tone' to the storyline.

The only character that it really irks me they won't let us know anything else about is Rebecca. I just wanna see a file on her, she's been gone the longest out of all of them (besides Billy who
/end rant.
Kind of off-topic, but have you read RE: Caliban Cove and RE: Underworld? They both have Rebecca (and Leon) as main protagonists.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Kind of off-topic, but have you read RE: Caliban Cove and RE: Underworld? They both have Rebecca (and Leon) as main protagonists.

Yeah, Underworld was my favorite, but the books aren't canon sadly. It's pretty much fan fiction, but they're awesome books and honestly it's what got me to love Rebecca's character so much.

KrinkSink

The thing is for those saying they have to move on is that they don't even try to make us care for any of the new characters, so it's kind of pointless at the end of the day

I wouldn't mind if in the spin off games they add new characters but with the main series they should add them again

I don't think their stories are finished because I don't think they can ever get away what happened to them in the mansion inncident.

"RE is supposed to be realistic, and the only way to do that is with a large cast that shows how this effects people all over the world..."

Realistic.....RE.....I highly doubt that, RE is anything but realistic. It's a game they could easily add past characters and this "16 year franchise" means nothing, they can still keep the old characters to give them a proper send off because it's only once every few years we get a sequel to the main games.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I don't have issues with new characters being introduced into the story, as long as they are relatively well developed. To be honest it's far more realistic to keep bringing new people in as opposed to keeping the same people in each and every game. There are going to be other people coming in and out of the key character's lives... and I don't expect Jill and Chris to be attached at the hip or Claire and Leon to be on missions together when he works directly under the President and she doesn't. I think there's enough old characters to tie the story all together and enough new ones to show that there are more than six people in the world trying to deal with this shiz. :p

yautjared

I think RE6 is doing the right step and going for a good direction .... besides the fact we will have opportunity to see an epic encounter first time (Leon and Chris together) :

• Sherry looks fine and seems gorgeous as an adult female;that annoying child in RE2, grew up, and turned into a beautiful woman, but, working as secret agent. With time, she can be as good as Jill or Ada, if Capcom could give her chance to take part in another future RE games.
  • Jake is all "black humour" and cunning lines; the mercenary that is an urban warrior, but, without losing his cool nature, even in hard times;
  • Piers seems to be a new blood in BSAA, and could turn in a decent Chris replacement in future; and I suspect he maybe can be one of the best characters to choose in the Mercenaries RE6 version .... just a guess.
  • and Helena is way better being partner with Leon, than that crap Ashley Graham they tried to shove down through our throats in RE4 .... At least , Helena is a government special agent, with conditions to defend herself and use a gun ........ I think she will give a more dramatic tone in RE6 cut scenes, let's see .......
Mixing old school RE with new ideias, seems ok in the current state the franchise is being worked .... having a good story can help also, explaining all, and helping fans to have sympathy for the new characters. We hope RE6 does its homework regarding that. :cool:

Top Bottom