• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Why Do Capcom Keep Adding New Characters?

Aleck

Biohazard
-Frankly Id really like to see a bad @$$ biznich that goes all out beating zombies faces in....not the run of the mill resident evil girls were used to. -Have her blast a zombie in the head and then stomp on their faces saying, " take that you flthy maggot bucket! " But hot looking with some tattoos and piercings-make her like jack from mass effect!

I don't mean to rub salt on a fanboy wound but, that is what ALICE of the RE films does. :p

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
well ill say @ E3 you will see about the 3ds game, more on resident evil 6 than you even thought and even a suprise you didnt know!!, also youll get info on the 2 new movies--- remember i said it :)

HELLBOY1980

I don't mean to rub salt on a fanboy wound but, that is what ALICE of the RE films does. :p
--- But capcom didnt create her...........The director just likes to put her in every movie he makes cause shes his wife!

Aleck

Biohazard
well ill say @ E3 you will see about the 3ds game, more on resident evil 6 than you even thought and even a suprise you didnt know!!, also youll get info on the 2 new movies--- remember i said it :)

That's good to know, I'm looking forward to it. :D

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I think It would really make sense for Rebecca and Claire to appear in a game together, as neither of them are really 'fighters' but you could see them being put in a bad situation together because I think that they could both work for TerraSave.

zeroskaterz92

the only way for Capcom to make everyone's happy.
by making a main game along with spin-off cannon games.
for the first main characters to be in the main game like Chris and Leon. while the second main characters to be in the spin-off games (i.e. Revelations) or movie (i.e. Degeneration) for Jill, Claire, Rebecca, etc.
Billy and Barry are exceptional, maybe for them to return as a cameo are enough, don't need to make them get involve for the next installment.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
the only way for Capcom to make everyone's happy.
by making a main game along with spin-off cannon games.
for the first main characters to be in the main game like Chris and Leon. while the second main characters to be in the spin-off games (i.e. Revelations) or movie (i.e. Degeneration) for Jill, Claire, Rebecca, etc.
Billy and Barry are exceptional, maybe for them to return as a cameo are enough, don't need to make them get involve for the next installment.
...Spin-Off cannon games are games like Survivor and Dead Aim..However, Degeneration is part of the MAIN series, not a spin-off, and same goes for Revelations...
I do agree though, that Barry, Rebecca, and such need only come back in cameo form at most...

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
--- But capcom didnt create her...........The director just likes to put her in every movie he makes cause shes his wife!
You know...I'm all for Alice bashing, but you gotta at least get that facts right when you do it...And during the time of the first RE movie, she wasn't married to him...And it focused just as much on her then as they do now...It's nice to have someone/something to blame...But I don't think Anderson is the one...

HELLBOY1980

...Spin-Off cannon games are games like Survivor and Dead Aim..However, Degeneration is part of the MAIN series, not a spin-off, and same goes for Revelations...
I do agree though, that Barry, Rebecca, and such need only come back in cameo form at most...
barry would probably be in his 60s though....

HELLBOY1980

Later fifties actually, but close...If you're talking about RE6 that is...
yep, i am. It would just be silly to have him in the game unless he has a daughter or son that goes missiing and he suits up for one last battle, but make that he dies after saving his family...something epic that closes him for good, ya know?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
yep, i am. It would just be silly to have him in the game unless he has a daughter or son that goes missiing and he suits up for one last battle, but make that he dies after saving his family...something epic that closes him for good, ya know?
That'd be nice...But only if it's like...A side story to a much bigger story...

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
barry could easily return as a type of character who relays intel via communication etc. someone who's not directly involved in the combat but his field experience could help chris for example..(i know chris doesn't really need help like that, i'm just using him as an example)
anyhoo, barry's experience could be very helpful to some characters for example.
i mean personally i'm happy not to see him again. but i could easily see way's in which he could return to the series.

zappingtime

Because the resident evil universe needs to be bigger and bigger, take for example the XMEN, they always bring more characters, just remember the first xmen, Cyclops, Jean Grey, the beast, the angel and Iceman, they will be cool, but then you will get more great characters, like Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Emma Frost, and more, thats the essence of a timeless story, you need to add more and more characters, take for example Billy in the Rebbeca game, that was a cool character, the same with Kevin Ryman, that was a great character also or Carlos Oliviera more recent Sheva Alomar, the universe of characters needs to be bigger and bigger, besides some old character become weird, like Jill Valentine, which she lost her essence after resident evil 3, which I think that was her best performance in the saga, after that her design and personality going to nowhere, her new suit reminds me Sonya Blade and she lost her dramatic behavior of resident evil 1 and 3, opposite to Claire who actually was a good character in the 3d movie. Changes happen and new characters bring more pieces to the resident evil world.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Because the resident evil universe needs to be bigger and bigger, take for example the XMEN, they always bring more characters, just remember the first xmen, Cyclops, Jean Grey, the beast, the angel and Iceman, they will be cool, but then you will get more great characters, like Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Emma Frost, and more, thats the essence of a timeless story, you need to add more and more characters, take for example Billy in the Rebbeca game, that was a cool character, the same with Kevin Ryman, that was a great character also or Carlos Oliviera more recent Sheva Alomar, the universe of characters needs to be bigger and bigger, besides some old character become weird, like Jill Valentine, which she lost her essence after resident evil 3, which I think that was her best performance in the saga, after that her design and personality going to nowhere, her new suit reminds me Sonya Blade and she lost her dramatic behavior of resident evil 1 and 3, opposite to Claire who actually was a good character in the 3d movie. Changes happen and new characters bring more pieces to the resident evil world.

You're pretty fantastic in using X-Men as a way to prove a point, and Marvel in general actually, seeing as their pretty good about expanding characters in ALL their universes and cannons. And you're exactly correct. It would get stagnant, and increasingly unrealistic if it was the same cast OVER and OVER again, especially with the growing global threat of bio-terrorism.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
i thought Jake was the weak character, Piers was cool and Helena was average. Would have rather seen Jill and Claire in place of Piers and helena. I just think Jake was stereotypical alpha male, starts bad turns semi-good, bla bla, so unoriginal character and pretty damn annoying.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
i thought Jake was the weak character, Piers was cool and Helena was average. Would have rather seen Jill and Claire in place of Piers and helena. I just think Jake was stereotypical alpha male, starts bad turns semi-good, bla bla, so unoriginal character and pretty damn annoying.

I agree with most of this actually. I don't think Claire should have been there, as she is retired from the series, and I think Helena was a weaker character than Jake, but Jake wasn't necessarily a STRONG character. But I think for Story purposes, Jake did serve his purpose. His SYMBOLISM was more important than his character. Funny, I think this post came across sounding like I was arguing your point, but I really do agree with you for the most part.

Spyder

La Vita Nuova
Really, the first time the main series brought in a totally new playable character who wasn't in the first two games was Sheva in 5. The game was supposed to be Chris solo, but they brought Sheva in to ease the backlash they got, claiming the game to look "racist". So she wasn't really an important part of the story, she was a supporting role. 6 is the biggest game so far, with the highest number of old characters all together out of all of them. And each main character needed a support. 3 old characters and 3 new sounds pretty even to me. It would've been too much with 6 old characters and too hard to explain. Except for Jake, they don't really have any use for anyone else now either, which is why they use them. They DON'T want to add too many more characters to the series, so they use disposable supporting characters. I doubt we'll see Helena again either. Also, by not using all of the main characters, they leave more story lines open for more games. Helena and Piers are really more akin to "Agent" in Ada's' mission and only really serve a purpose as an excuse for the new coop fad that they saw after 5 was so popular IMO. This is just how I think they probably thought it out logically to start, but even the classic supporting characters have become fan favourites. Also these guys have been fighting this crap for 17 years they're gonna need a break soon lol

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
While I'm also a little annoyed by it, I think it's okay to introduce new characters if they actually serve a purpose, even more so if that purpose is one that none of the already existing characters can serve without too much explaining. That is actually the case in RE6.

Let's see: Jake is Albert Wesker's son, much of RE6's story has at least something to do with him and he becomes important to all four campaigns sooner or later. Helena and Piers are the initial driving forces behind two of the other campaigns; if it weren't for them, Leon would have gone home after the Tall Oaks incident and Chris would still be a drunk without memory rampaging in some bar. It would have been possible to have Jill in Piers's place in the latter case, but that would only have created more drama irrelevant to that specific plot because of her recent past with Wesker. And who else do we know that works for the BSAA and whatever Leon's company is called and could have been in Piers's and Helena's places, respectively? ... Exactly.

Claire works for Terra Save, Sheva for the African branch of the BSAA, Barry and Rebecca have probably moved on with their lives after the Raccoon City incident, and that's it. The only one who should be in the BSAA in my opinion is Carlos, it would have made sense for him to join an anti-bioterrorism organisation to take revenge on Umbrella for misusing him the way they did and prevent similar companies from ever being a threat to global security, but having too many old characters in one place would probably be unrealistic as well.

Top Bottom