• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you Thinking? Resident Evil Edition!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Here's my beef with it...It's a Resident Evil game. This shouldn't be. If it were anything else, or a new Capcom IP, I wouldn't b*tch. But this isn't what I want, or I think most fans want, as part of the RE mythos. Just like I don't want my Sonic the Hedgehog games to be RPG's (Sonic the Dark Brotherhood), my Fallout games to be MMO's (Fallout 76), or my Technical Fighters to start using Auto Combos (Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite). And I certainly don't want my "Horror" titles to be multiplayer. And if it's not a horror game, it shouldn't have Resident Evil in the title. Capcom's track record with multiplayer RE hasn't exactly been well received in the past, and with the information we have so far, I'm not seeing a difference. If this is as souring to other fans, as it is to me so far, it may very well hurt all the good will they've built up with RE7 and/or 2, damaging the idea of the ongoing main title games.

All regards to your beefs, I have no problems with my horror games being multiplayer because like I said, I really enjoyed Mercs and Raid even though they had nothing to offer the universe. Secondly, while this game obviously takes part in the universe, it is not called Resident Evil. It's called Project Resistance. It's a spin off, not a part of the main series. Also, I really liked that they put a skill tree in GoW so I'm not worried about formulas getting mixed up a little bit. As far as multiplayer not being good, maybe this is their attempt at fixing that?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
All regards to your beefs, I have no problems with my horror games being multiplayer because like I said, I really enjoyed Mercs and Raid even though they had nothing to offer the universe. Secondly, while this game obviously takes part in the universe, it is not called Resident Evil. It's called Project Resistance. It's a spin off, not a part of the main series. Also, I really liked that they put a skill tree in GoW so I'm not worried about formulas getting mixed up a little bit. As far as multiplayer not being good, maybe this is their attempt at fixing that?
I know it's not part of the main series, but a bad spin-off is still part of the brand. I mean...Survivor, Gaiden, and ORC are all cases of Spin-Offs being so bad that if they were made into movies, even Bruce Campbell wouldn't star in 'em. And as for survival horror and multiplayer, if you can be happy with that merger, then more power to you. I really mean that. To me, the moment you have even a second player, all fear goes out the window. If I'm playing a horror game, the fun comes from being afraid. It's a mental masochism we enjoy. And if a game can't produce when it comes to the horror, all fun is lost for me.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I know it's not part of the main series, but a bad spin-off is still part of the brand. I mean...Survivor, Gaiden, and ORC are all cases of Spin-Offs being so bad that if they were made into movies, even Bruce Campbell wouldn't star in 'em. And as for survival horror and multiplayer, if you can be happy with that merger, then more power to you. I really mean that. To me, the moment you have even a second player, all fear goes out the window. If I'm playing a horror game, the fun comes from being afraid. It's a mental masochism we enjoy. And if a game can't produce when it comes to the horror, all fun is lost for me.

Ok so we can leave Bruce Campbell out of this lol. And Resident Evil has had a lot of bad games, one could argue. Hell I hated 4 but there's nothing I can do about that and it's still part of the linear series. Not to mention 'bad' is relative. I still think this game can be fun. Fear meh. I've run into some scary moments playing games with my husband like when I'm playing Killing Floor 2 and the Patriarch is beating our ass on Hell on Earth or when we're fight hordes upon hordes of zombies in 7 Days to Die. Oh and there were some rifts in Diablo 3 that were pretty damn scary when we were being swarmed. But I can get pretty immersed into Games I guess. I couldn't finish playing Outlast even though I knew what was going to happen. It was utterly terrifying.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ok so we can leave Bruce Campbell out of this lol. And Resident Evil has had a lot of bad games, one could argue. Hell I hated 4 but there's nothing I can do about that and it's still part of the linear series. Not to mention 'bad' is relative. I still think this game can be fun. Fear meh. I've run into some scary moments playing games with my husband like when I'm playing Killing Floor 2 and the Patriarch is beating our ass on Hell on Earth or when we're fight hordes upon hordes of zombies in 7 Days to Die. Oh and there were some rifts in Diablo 3 that were pretty damn scary when we were being swarmed. But I can get pretty immersed into Games I guess. I couldn't finish playing Outlast even though I knew what was going to happen. It was utterly terrifying.
Outlast. That's the sh*t I love lol. Back in the day Resident Evil used to have the same effect on me as Outlast. And something like this, I know won't give me that fear. Which is why I don't like that it's A. in the RE universe, and B. marketed as a horror game. Though you are completely right about the subjectivity aspect of it all. Guess we'll see how it performs when the game comes out lol.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Outlast. That's the sh*t I love lol. Back in the day Resident Evil used to have the same effect on me as Outlast. And something like this, I know won't give me that fear. Which is why I don't like that it's A. in the RE universe, and B. marketed as a horror game. Though you are completely right about the subjectivity aspect of it all. Guess we'll see how it performs when the game comes out lol.

Resident Evil has NEVER come close to the terror of Outlast for me to be honest. In fact I don't find any of the Resident Evil games to be very scary at all now that I think about it. And indeed, time will tell. I'm hoping to get into the closed beta.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Resident Evil has NEVER come close to the terror of Outlast for me to be honest. In fact I don't find any of the Resident Evil games to be very scary at all now that I think about it. And indeed, time will tell. I'm hoping to get into the closed beta.
Well, when you started with RE when you were 6, it can be compared to how Outlast made me feel as an adult XD

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't get how Project Resistance comes as such a shock. Aside from Resident Evil 2, which was still missing lots of what made the original so memorable, Capcom has been pretty garbage. It's hard for me to have any faith in them over that one win because at the end of the day, it was still just a remake and may not even be indicative of what they're doing with RE8 which could be more RE7 garbage.

Flipping out this much over a dumb spin-off game that isn't gonna affect the main series in any way is a little ridiculous. The time for flipping out came and went with RE7 as it proved how soulless this franchise really is, even when trying to go back to their "roots."

At the end of day, Capcom doesn't have long term plans for this franchise, they just pick ideas out of a hat and see which one can make them money. There is no more passion in Resident Evil. Ever since RE5 it has been nothing but Capcom trying out new gimmicks to make their biggest IP relevant and profitable, but at the expense of what made the series special in the first place.

I can't imagine anyone else being so careless and business minded with such a beloved IP, and the worst part is, it works for them and that's all Capcom cares about. It's not about the art, it's not about the IP, it's not about the community, with Capcom, it's all money.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Happy Resident Evil 3 day! September 28th. Daylight. The monsters have overtaken the city. Somehow...I'm still alive. 21 Years ago today, Jill Valentine started on her quest to fight her way out of the doomed Raccoon City...and we were all introduced to our...Nemesis...

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Happy Resident Evil 3 day! September 28th. Daylight. The monsters have overtaken the city. Somehow...I'm still alive. 21 Years ago today, Jill Valentine started on her quest to fight her way out of the doomed Raccoon City...and we were all introduced to our...Nemesis...
I second that!

Resident Evil 3 was not only the first RE game I played, but also my first encounter with survival horror as a kid. Still do this day I get goosebumps from hearing Jill's introduction speeches in this game... And how could one ever forget arguably one of the most badass quotes in video game history "You want STARS? I'll give you stars!".

Once Capcom announces the RE3 remake I'm going to freak out.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda

Love that it's getting REmade (no pun intended), but not exactly digging the new outfit for Jill. Maybe it's just my nostalgia, but I'm not the biggest fan of ditching iconic outfits just to cater to the PC crowd who don't even play games (sorry, somebody had to say it). Plus her new outfit is just a TReboot Lara clone, who is in herself just a Katniss clone. Seriously, compare her outfit to TR2013 Lara's, and the two are damn near indistinguishable. This after turning her into a Nina Williams clone in RE5.

Love the Whyona Rider look for Jill, though.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Love that it's getting REmade (no pun intended), but not exactly digging the new outfit for Jill. Maybe it's just my nostalgia, but I'm not the biggest fan of ditching iconic outfits just to cater to the PC crowd who don't even play games (sorry, somebody had to say it). Plus her new outfit is just a TReboot Lara clone, who is in herself just a Katniss clone. Seriously, compare her outfit to TR2013 Lara's, and the two are damn near indistinguishable. This after turning her into a Nina Williams clone in RE5.

Love the Whyona Rider look for Jill, though.

Did I miss something?! Where is Jill’s full new look?

But I love Jill’s new design and she does resemble Winona Ryder! :lol:

As for the outfit change... I can’t completely tell, from the box art, on how much has changed. I can see where you are coming from in terms of designers catering to the PC crowd but, at the same time, it didn’t cross my mind because I feel like they are just trying to modernize the outfit for the redesigned story they are telling. At least that is how I saw Claire’s new outfit design.
You just don’t see too many woman walking around in tube tops paired with short miniskirts these days unless you walk around a city late at night. But I get it- the original look was sexy and iconic and I’m sure it will, at the very least, be featured as an extra costume.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

AMAZING! Obviously Christmas came early this year.

Anyways, once I was done freaking out I've analyzed the leaked images and I must say that I'm a little bit concerned. Both Jill and Nemesis look nothing like their previous selves, and Nemesis especially just looks really terrible. Hopefully it's just placeholder art, because Nemesis doesn't really look like an actual 3D render when you examine it up close.

Both Jill and Carlos seem to be fully rendered though. While Jill doesn't look terrible per se (in fact she looks gorgeous), she bears very little resemblance to the Jill Valentine I know and love - this almost feels like a completely new character. I don't understand why they couldn't use Julia Voth's face model again, she IS the definitive version of Jill. The desexualized outfit I can live with, it was bound to happen anyway and there's just nothing we can do about it. I do hope we get the option to choose a "classic outfit" for her though.

On a plus note, I'm really diggin' Carlos's new look. He looks great and that redesign really fits him.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Yes Carlos’ new design is growing on me too, love the wild hair and it sets him apart from the typical RE character/soldier we have seen thus far.

Jonipoon

The second leaked image of Nemesis is even worse. His face looks like its been covered in pink chewing gum.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That looks more like Carlos from the movies - but I am okay with that. Both actors look fierce on that cover!

Mr.R

I'm know most people won't agree with but...I think we should let Julia Voth's face go. It was okay, it was iconic, but they won't use it anymore (Which is totally okay by me). What I hope is that they stick with her face this time. There was RE5, Revelations and Operation Raccoon City and Jill looks very different in all three of them, and to be honest, every one of those appearances it looked like a deformed Julia Voth's face which got weirder and weirder until ORC (Claire, Leon and Carlos don't look as weird as Jill in this game. Ada looks exactly like she should. Same with Nicholai), unlike Chris, who kept his appearance similar until RE6 (and Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite, for that matter) and only was changed in RE7.

Jonipoon

I'm know most people won't agree with but...I think we should let Julia Voth's face go. It was okay, it was iconic, but they won't use it anymore (Which is totally okay by me). What I hope is that they stick with her face this time. There was RE5, Revelations and Operation Raccoon City and Jill looks very different in all three of them, and to be honest, every one of those appearances it looked like a deformed Julia Voth's face which got weirder and weirder until ORC (Claire, Leon and Carlos don't look as weird as Jill in this game. Ada looks exactly like she should. Same with Nicholai), unlike Chris, who kept his appearance similar until RE6 (and Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite, for that matter) and only was changed in RE7.
I know what you're getting at, and I sort of agree. But technology has catched up quite a bit since Revelations and ORC were developed in the early 2010's, and today face scanning of real-life models has reached a point where it looks very realistic and believable. Voth has been reused as a face model more than any other actor in the RE series, so I just find it baffling that they suddenly decide to ditch her completely. Not only that, but they're going with a new actress that looks nothing like Voth at all.

Mr.R

So....Umbrella Corps was on sale. Very cheap and all, so I bought. I don't play multiplayer games online and I don't care about this kind of stuff, but I bought just to check on "The Experiment" single player mode and its "story". It was really cheap after all and I thought "why not?".

..............WOW. Umbrella Corps make Operation Raccoon City feels like a masterpiece. It makes RE Gaiden and Survivor feels like numbered entries on the franchise. Wow...seriously, I'm really surprised how Capcom gave the green light to this thing. It's no coincidence it doesn't carry the name Resident Evil.

Top Bottom