• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you Thinking? Resident Evil Edition!

Cheer

Kamen Rider
You know after reading about the many versions of RE4 especially the one that became Devil May Cry. What if they continued that version and made Wesker the protagonist of the game. I mean Wesker is superhuman.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
You know after reading about the many versions of RE4 especially the one that became Devil May Cry. What if they continued that version and made Wesker the protagonist of the game. I mean Wesker is superhuman.

Lmao I do find the idea humorous. It is true that RE4 took almost 5 years to make and did spin off into DMC. Ironically we also got nearly 3 DMC games before RE4 launched. (Dante's Awakening was close).

The original protagonist for RE4 was a character named Tony Redgrave. He was supposedly the son of Oswell E. Spencer. He would have been a super human enhanced by a special project, much like Albert was. Rumor had it he had a brother (which became Virgil as Tony became Dante). I'd image that the original RE4 may have been more action based, but far more like RE than DMC. The superhuman stuff likely went off the walls during development and they scrapped it for a new and more ambitious game.

I would be quite curious to see if Capcom returns to the idea of Spencer having a biological son in the future. I say biological since he considers the Wesker's to be his children. Even though he favored one of them over the rest.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Also I just realised something. Alexia looks a lot like Dark Natalia. Very similar dress and attire. Even the choker. Hmmm her face even looks like how Alex might look when she grows up. There seems to be a lot of similarities between the Asford's and Wesker's. Kind of unoriginal in my opinion. Hell, even Alfred has the same hair style of Albert. Both Alex and Alexia were successful in their initial experiments. Only different is Alex ultimately succeeded where Alexia died. A stupid death and she basically down an elevator shaft.

Alfred is a cross dresser and Albert is gay- it really is uncanny! ;)

Last edited:

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
So I played RE0 for a little bit Yesterday and the controls seem really weird. The run button is usually square, right? The only option is to have it as circle and it feels really awkward. Having played every game in the series where the run button has always been square, It's gonna take a while to get used to.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
So I played RE0 for a little bit Yesterday and the controls seem really weird. The run button is usually square, right? The only option is to have it as circle and it feels really awkward. Having played every game in the series where the run button has always been square, I'm not sure I'm gonna get used to it.

This is the new remaster of REØ that just came out?

lorddemolatron

CP and BP fan forever
12507605_1103824312991153_2785029945483025563_n.jpg

Finest slight example how sometimes RE games can unexpectly glitch ( this time unexpected monster appearing in cutscene)

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I feel that Ada is used too often and never has any real character development :paranoid:

Well, it's not like she had the best reason to even be in RE6, let alone have her own campaign.

Last edited:

meg5493

Well, it's not she had the best reason to even be in RE6, let alone have her own campaign.
Its seems that in every game/movie since 2 is her goal is steal a virus sample, help leon, betray leon, then at the last second give something to leon to help him with the final baddie and don't get me start on how mean Carla was to basically everyone in re6 for now reason (but hey different character there)

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Its seems that in every game/movie since 2 is her goal is steal a virus sample, help leon, betray leon, then at the last second give something to leon to help him with the final baddie and don't get me start on how mean Carla was to basically everyone in re6 for now reason (but hey different character there)

Oh there was a reason. To test the C-Virus but mostly. To cause Chaos. Simmons wanted a world of order and The Family has spent centuries to ensure this. He ****ed Carla off and all Carla wanted was to undo everything he and his organisation built. Chaos can destroy order and stability.

meg5493

Oh there was a reason. To test the C-Virus but mostly. To cause Chaos. Simmons wanted a world of order and The Family has spent centuries to ensure this. He ****ed Carla off and all Carla wanted was to undo everything he and his organisation built. Chaos can destroy order and stability.
Ehhh when it comes to 6 most of the stuff in that game is too convoluted for me a lot of it is over the top. And while Ada's actions might have reason in the over all story of the series having to sit through it every game isn't really fun anymore (at least since 4) and oooooh my god Damnation was a stretch

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Ehhh when it comes to 6 most of the stuff in that game is too convoluted for me a lot of it is over the top. And while Ada's actions might have reason in the over all story of the series having to sit through it ever game isn't really fun anymore (at least since 4) and oooooh my god Damnation was a stretch

I thought RE6's story was very good but I'll be honest. I prefer deep complex story lines. For me a convoluted is a major positive. Over all the Resident Evil series is very much convoluted throughout (minus RE4), especially since inorder to get the whole story you need to piece together all the forms of story telling. In game cutscenes, documents, visual story telling, and in game conversations. Revelations 2 was by far the convoluted and relied on gamers to pay attention to all 4 types of story telling to piece everything together. A second play through will even put everything in place because you'll see how these things that seemed unnecessary at first, play a very important role in the story. It's very sad that most people misunderstood the story and what had happened. The game also practically expected the player to know certain philosophies and scientific concepts to understand the story, especially the former to a great extent. While I personally love this and think it added so much to the game, unfortunately I've talk to more people who didn't get the story than those who did. As far as RE6 goes, I didn't think it was that complex. Everything was just interconnected and was relevant and tied together, I will admit that some things could have been done much better.

Resident Evil is becoming more and more like Metal Gear Solid. One could argue that the two of them always were a like to some extent and I've noticed that fans of one seems to be a fan of the other. Personally both of them are my all time favorite gaming series :p They both take risks and knock down the walls of story telling. Two of the most recent examples of this are the following. Only read if you've beaten the gaming according to the example. Both are fantastic!

Revelations 2:
The main antagonist dominates and wins. Fully achieving her goals with complete success. While the player still gets to beat her in a boss fight. It doesn't matter at all, it was intended from a game design and story point of view. She killed herself earlier to be fully aware her new vessel. It was a blessing that she lived because she needed to trigger herself in Natalia and essentially kill her to fast track her awakening. Once she did that. That old body is now is no longer needed. Capcom let the player fight and defeat it, or in the bad ending, she kills herself. This communicates to the player it's said and done and serves as an origins story of a sort for Alex Wesker. Introducing her to a new generation and portraying a message that she is only getting started. There's more to come and hopefully she is a reoccurring villain. She is in my opinion, one of the best written, and most interesting villains I've ever seen. She's also sick, twisted, and evil as they come.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Here we go with another what the ****! Phantom Pain does something that has never been done in gaming before. It's crazy! It breaks down the 4th wall to the gamer.
This means the gamer has become A PART of the story and it's legacy.
This is a huge risk for a very narrative driven story. Now I know what you're thinking. Psycho Mantis did this, and what about every game like Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls where you create a custom character who is you, it's your story. Well... It's not the same. Not even close. You may be those characters, but you are still playing them as a character. In The Phantom Pain.
YOU ARE SNAKE. You! The individual playing the game is Venom Snake. Your identity, your legacy, your face, your individualism, everything that makes you, you. Has been stolen from you. You are robbed from everything you've known. Everything you do, goes to someone else's legacy. The ending ****ed off so many people and was universally hated for it's first 2 or so months. It is now considered one of the most innovative conclusions in the history of story telling. Unexpected but sensible. It's the opposite of MGS2: Sons of Liberty's ending and shows how different Solid Snake and Big Boss truly is. It's even more shocking when you realise that you, the player, becomes the final boss of the first Metal Gear game. Where you play as Solid Snake and end up killing.... you! The player. This is truly original and innovative.

Moving back to Resident Evil. How is Damnation a stretch? I thought it made sense. Ada was known for stealing and potentially selling virus's since RE2. She's always caught up with the bad people and her true intentions were unknown. Capcom trolled every fan with this in RE6. Completely mind ****ing us and making us all confused. Thinking that this can't be Ada but.... it's clearly her. This doesn't make sense. It makes for a great bait and switch plot the first time around. After that, it loses it's magic and seems irrelevant. What remains to be great is the interactions of the protagonist and their crossing paths. I consider RE6 to be the Fast and Furious of the series. It's all about the protagonists. I'll admit that the action was far over the top, just like a Fast and Furious or any Hollywood block buster action flick.

meg5493

I thought RE6's story was very good but I'll be honest. I prefer deep complex story lines. For me a convoluted is a major positive. Over all the Resident Evil series is very much convoluted throughout (minus RE4), especially since inorder to get the whole story you need to piece together all the forms of story telling. In game cutscenes, documents, visual story telling, and in game conversations. Revelations 2 was by far the convoluted and relied on gamers to pay attention to all 4 types of story telling to piece everything together. A second play through will even put everything in place because you'll see how these things that seemed unnecessary at first, play a very important role in the story. It's very sad that most people misunderstood the story and what had happened. The game also practically expected the player to know certain philosophies and scientific concepts to understand the story, especially the former to a great extent. While I personally love this and think it added so much to the game, unfortunately I've talk to more people who didn't get the story than those who did. As far as RE6 goes, I didn't think it was that complex. Everything was just interconnected and was relevant and tied together, I will admit that some things could have been done much better.

Resident Evil is becoming more and more like Metal Gear Solid. One could argue that the two of them always were a like to some extent and I've noticed that fans of one seems to be a fan of the other. Personally both of them are my all time favorite gaming series :p They both take risks and knock down the walls of story telling. Two of the most recent examples of this are the following. Only read if you've beaten the gaming according to the example. Both are fantastic!

Revelations 2:
The main antagonist dominates and wins. Fully achieving her goals with complete success. While the player still gets to beat her in a boss fight. It doesn't matter at all, it was intended from a game design and story point of view. She killed herself earlier to be fully aware her new vessel. It was a blessing that she lived because she needed to trigger herself in Natalia and essentially kill her to fast track her awakening. Once she did that. That old body is now is no longer needed. Capcom let the player fight and defeat it, or in the bad ending, she kills herself. This communicates to the player it's said and done and serves as an origins story of a sort for Alex Wesker. Introducing her to a new generation and portraying a message that she is only getting started. There's more to come and hopefully she is a reoccurring villain. She is in my opinion, one of the best written, and most interesting villains I've ever seen. She's also sick, twisted, and evil as they come.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Here we go with another what the ****! Phantom Pain does something that has never been done in gaming before. It's crazy! It breaks down the 4th wall to the gamer.
This means the gamer has become A PART of the story and it's legacy.
This is a huge risk for a very narrative driven story. Now I know what you're thinking. Psycho Mantis did this, and what about every game like Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls where you create a custom character who is you, it's your story. Well... It's not the same. Not even close. You may be those characters, but you are still playing them as a character. In The Phantom Pain.
YOU ARE SNAKE. You! The individual playing the game is Venom Snake. Your identity, your legacy, your face, your individualism, everything that makes you, you. Has been stolen from you. You are robbed from everything you've known. Everything you do, goes to someone else's legacy. The ending ****ed off so many people and was universally hated for it's first 2 or so months. It is now considered one of the most innovative conclusions in the history of story telling. Unexpected but sensible. It's the opposite of MGS2: Sons of Liberty's ending and shows how different Solid Snake and Big Boss truly is. It's even more shocking when you realise that you, the player, becomes the final boss of the first Metal Gear game. Where you play as Solid Snake and end up killing.... you! The player. This is truly original and innovative.

Moving back to Resident Evil. How is Damnation a stretch? I thought it made sense. Ada was known for stealing and potentially selling virus's since RE2. She's always caught up with the bad people and her true intentions were unknown. Capcom trolled every fan with this in RE6. Completely mind ****ing us and making us all confused. Thinking that this can't be Ada but.... it's clearly her. This doesn't make sense. It makes for a great bait and switch plot the first time around. After that, it loses it's magic and seems irrelevant. What remains to be great is the interactions of the protagonist and their crossing paths. I consider RE6 to be the Fast and Furious of the series. It's all about the protagonists. I'll admit that the action was far over the top, just like a Fast and Furious or any Hollywood block buster action flick.
To get it out of the way first when I mean Damnation was a stretch I meant how idiotic Ada is in this movie like I understand she's got steaks in this but when you go up to the main bad guy of the movie and just go "I'm AdaWong from the BSAA" like yea its gonna pull your interest when you see the trailer but in the actual movie when she's literally just bluffing and all the villians have to do is google search that **** to now she's lying, its probably the dumbest thing she's ever said in the series.

I think a lot the complexity comes from figuring the timeline to when all this **** goes down hell it takes some time understanding that 3 takes place before and after 2 for some fans. RE used to be pretty straight forward its absurdity with 5 starting the huge monsters and the global scale plots for the series. The Rev games do it in a more episodic story telling which is fine because the first time you play it, it keeps you engaged. While RE being like MGS is a bit of a stretch MGS was pretty much at least with 1-3 dealing with a laid out story with all ready pretty deep characters while over at Capcom canon gets pretty much rewritten or axed with every new game that comes out. The comparison is there but Capcom has got to step their game up if they want a RE to go toe to toe with an MGS game. Its a shame though that MGS5 was so unfinished but still one of the better games of 2015

Cheer

Kamen Rider
So lets see

RE 1 is a direct sequel to RE0
RE 3 is a direct sequel to RE1
RE CVX and RE 4 are direct sequels to RE2
RE 5 is a direct sequel to RE Revelations 1
and RE 6 is a direct sequel to RE 4 and RE5

Right?

Airaku

Stray Jedi
To get it out of the way first when I mean Damnation was a stretch I meant how idiotic Ada is in this movie like I understand she's got steaks in this but when you go up to the main bad guy of the movie and just go "I'm AdaWong from the BSAA" like yea its gonna pull your interest when you see the trailer but in the actual movie when she's literally just bluffing and all the villians have to do is google search that **** to now she's lying, its probably the dumbest thing she's ever said in the series.

I think a lot the complexity comes from figuring the timeline to when all this **** goes down hell it takes some time understanding that 3 takes place before and after 2 for some fans. RE used to be pretty straight forward its absurdity with 5 starting the huge monsters and the global scale plots for the series. The Rev games do it in a more episodic story telling which is fine because the first time you play it, it keeps you engaged. While RE being like MGS is a bit of a stretch MGS was pretty much at least with 1-3 dealing with a laid out story with all ready pretty deep characters while over at Capcom canon gets pretty much rewritten or axed with every new game that comes out. The comparison is there but Capcom has got to step their game up if they want a RE to go toe to toe with an MGS game. Its a shame though that MGS5 was so unfinished but still one of the better games of 2015

Well.... Ada is a bull**** artist and they DID look it up in the movie and caught her through such means. So your point was actually covered in the film :p She played them and played her cards very well.

I see what you mean regarding MGS and RE. But Kojima actually writes the games as he goes along, utilizing new technologies and ideas each time. The difference is that RE always gets new writers for the games, Kojima writes his own games and actually knows what the hell is going on and is consistent. He can plan things for future games and prepare for the possibilities. He can reflect on his own work and has even admitted when he ****ed up. I love the guy! xD I feel so bad for him. Phantom Pain was definitely the best game in 2015. Such an amazing game, even if stuff was cut. The main point twist he planned from the beginning was implemented well. The 4th wall was broken in ways never before seen. Most people were ****ed because we wanted to see and play the [fall of big boss and his rise to villainy. Saladin."[/SPOILER] I think MGS is quite comprehendible. I feel the series is tied up very nicely in the end. There are still complex and confusing situations, but you can make sense of them once you get a few other concepts and connect the dots.

The Resident Evil games certainly do have ret-cons. They have been getting better with them lately and actually looking back on the series and Revelations 2 even answered some old questions and tied some things together. For me the biggest ret-con in the series is Albert Wesker's personality in RE5.... seriously what the ****? He was always about amplifying his own body to become the "ultimate power". The perfect being. Taking over pharmaceutical companies to lead one. The whole Uroboro's and taking over the world came out of no where as did the whole god complex. **** was so backwards. I mean at least he had is abilities and D.C. Douglas did an amazing job. He still felt like Albert to me, he just... gained some weird character traits that seemed unnecessary. I believe I sent you that link which outlines the original RE5 concepts. Now THAT is the Albert Wesker that we all know :p

Top Bottom