• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The World Cup

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I'm not a big football fan personally but I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone is rooting for.

Obviously I'm rooting for England because I'm from there.

I'm also 1/4 Polish so I root for Poland for that reason.

And at work I've entered a Sweepstake, the two teams I got are
Japan and Brazil so obviously I'm rooting for those two (well one of them) the most :p

You guyses?

Ganado

Floundering in the savage doorway
England and Ecuador are my two teams. England for obvious reasons, Ecuador cos it's honestly the most amazing country on the planet, and I left my heart there a few years ago, high up in the Andes. It helps that Antonio Valencia plays for United too :)

Also will be keeping a close eye on Belgium, as a) they've got some great players, and b) I have very good mates living there, so hopefully somewhere down the line England might play them. Unlikely, but you never know. I'll be wishing the Netherlands all the best too, it'll be nice for our future manager to have a successful tournament.

As for tonight, a good solid 5-all thriller or similar would be a great and entertaining start to proceedings, but 2-1 to Brazil is more likely. Can't wait for it to kick off, gotta perservere with the bloody opening ceremony first.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
Not usually a big football fan but I do enjoy watching the world cup, although I doubt that I will be able to watch much this year as I have exams from the 20th, so I'll be revising most of the time and I'm going straight on holiday after my exams are over. I'll be rooting for England of course, but considering our draw we might not even get past the group stages this year.

Popo

I support Portugal, although with this coach I don't have much confidence to even make it past the group stage...

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I don't really watch much football but I do enjoy watching the world cup. Obviously rooting for England, but I don't really have much faith in our team. Maybe it's a good thing I'll be missing the England game on Saturday.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I agree with a few of you - I'm no big fan of football and I rarely watch games. Except the world cup, I can't miss it!

I don't have any personal favorites yet, so I will be judging by the teams' performance. I do however have high expectations for some teams, but if they don't deliver I'll be happy to see their exit. I'm first and foremost thinking about Brazil and Spain.

My attitude towards some teams is icy because they have played dirty in earlier championships. For example The Netherlands (in the 2010 world cup), Italy and Germany. Unfortunately I have the memory of an elephant lol.

As for tonight, a good solid 5-all thriller or similar would be a great and entertaining start to proceedings, but 2-1 to Brazil is more likely. Can't wait for it to kick off, gotta perservere with the bloody opening ceremony first.
The first half was very exciting! I want Brazil to advance, but I wouldn't mind if Croatia got 1 or even 3 points in this first match, because that would have put enormous pressure on Brazil in their next matches. Brazil + pressure = the best entertainment. :)

Ganado

The first half was very exciting! I want Brazil to advance, but I wouldn't mind if Croatia got 1 or even 3 points in this first match, because that would have put enormous pressure on Brazil in their next matches. Brazil + pressure = the best entertainment. :)

Yes it was! Sadly the second half, and thus the match as a whole, was reduced to a shambles by the dodgy (politely put) refereeing. The penalty was a total disgrace. If that match had been played anywhere but in Brazil, or at least had a ref who had the balls to ignore any 'advice' he may have been given regarding doing his best to ensure a 'favourable' outcome (given the protesting going on around the country), the game would have finished 2-2 and Brazil would've had 9 men on the pitch by the end of it. I agree 100% with the Croatian manager, who basically said 'if it's going to be like that for the entire tournament, we might as well all go home now'.

Sadly the protests / riots will be as interesting as the football at this World Cup, I fear.

And yes Romero, your memory serves you well, Netherlands, rather surprisingly, played the last final against Spain as if they were on a mission to hospitalise as many of their opponents as possible. All my respect for them went out the window that night. My only interest in them this year is because after the tournament their manager Louis Van Gaal becomes the new Manchester United manager. I'm a born and bred Mancunian from a family of Reds, which in football supporting terms makes me about as popular as Vlad the Impaler ;D

@ Jen - what on earth could be more important than watching England in the World Cup???

Last edited:

Popo

About the Netherlands, I remember a match in 2006 vs Portugal in which they finished the game with 9 players(so did we though) and is to this point the match in history of all World Cups with the most red cards xD
Besides wanting Portugal to win it, I also would like for the champion to be someone who never won it, I'm sick of the same teams always winning this, so no Brazil, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Argentina, Uruguay, England and I think Russia also has one so no to all of these teams. A nice surprise like Belgium, Colombia or us would be good xD

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
If like to see a team really Not expected to thrash them all like Australia heh.
Imagine betting a single £1 on them to win
You would win over £2k alone

Ganado

About the Netherlands, I remember a match in 2006 vs Portugal in which they finished the game with 9 players(so did we though) and is to this point the match in history of all World Cups with the most red cards xD
Besides wanting Portugal to win it, I also would like for the champion to be someone who never won it, I'm sick of the same teams always winning this, so no Brazil, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Argentina, Uruguay, England and I think Russia also has one so no to all of these teams. A nice surprise like Belgium, Colombia or us would be good xD

Ah yes I remember that battle of attrition! Both teams were as bad as each other for sure, seemed like they were trying to re-enact the Battle Of Santiago in 1962 between Chile and Italy. Why tackle an opponent when you can boot them into the stands?

The current Mexico v Cameroon game is showing a pattern developing here, namely the officials are godawful. two perfectly good goals for Mexico both disallowed. It's descending deeply into total farce, this tournament. Fcking shame :(

Popo

Really? I am not watching the game, but if that's the case, then it is a shame, I thought I could take a breath from Porto's corruption here in Portugal but it seems like fair games are something rare in today's world...

Ganado

Really? I am not watching the game, but if that's the case, then it is a shame, I thought I could take a breath from Porto's corruption here in Portugal but it seems like fair games are something rare in today's world...

You'll have to see the disallowed goals to believe them. Fortunately justice prevailed and Mexico scored to win 1-0. Phew. Next up, the rematch of the 2010 final in an hours time...just enough time to go a-wandering round the mansion and try to make some progress in RE1. A proper friday night in! :D

Ganado

I take everything back I said previously about the Dutch (for now ;) ), brilliant header from the United player Van Persie and now 2-1 up against Spain! Wish I was sat in my favourite bar in Amsterdam, the Hotel Torenzicht, watching this!

Ganado

Frankly ridiculous result, and at last a quite beautiful outcome untouched by dubious refereeing! That is a nice revenge for losing the 2010 final, and achieved through fair play and simply being much the better team. Still, if the Dutch can beat Espana 5-1, then god only knows how tomorrows England v Italy game will pan out. Although I'm on an early work shift (7.30am) on Sunday morning, I'll be in the pub tomorrow night enjoying (I hope) the spectacle that is the World Cup.

Btw, love your Buckethead avatar, of all the times I saw GnR live, the gig at Leeds Festival 2002 was the best by some distance, so much better than the UYI gigs I saw in 1992/93! Respect to KFC Man! :D

Popo

5pa1n hehehe

Buckethead is amazing, he has so many albums, not one that I can say is bad, plus he is his own genre, you can't say he's rock, blues, whatever, he is Buckethead. I am a fan of Slash too but he is nowhere near Buckethead :D

Last edited:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Spain vs Netherlands turned out to be a fantastic match. The better team won, but didn't Spain get cheated on a penalty? Or was it that one of Netherlands' goals should have been nulled? I was drinking wine so I'm a bit unsure. But the referee did at least one big error.

If you want fair football you need to play on a computer. Or maybe modern football games have gotten so advanced and realistic that it's corruption there too...

An editor in a newspaper here wrote that, if God watched football, most of the big heads in football would be dead. :D

Vergil'sBitch

RE Chicken s**t
I should be rooting for England as I live there... I'm not. The sooner England are out, the better (the evil in me loves seeing grown me cry *mwhahahahahahaha*).

I was rooting for Japan, although (at the moment) I can't see them getting past group stages. As I'm not rooting for England (because I never have and never will) I'm interested in how well Germany are doing.

Speaking of Netherlands V Spain, I loved Van Persie's first goal, if that was a DMC game, that would've been rated 'Ssstylish' lol:happy:
Although, it has to be said that there are some excellent goal celebrations out there :happy:

Top Bottom