• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hills: What do you guys think?

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
See, I loved Downpour. However, homecoming is the worst in the series for me, but I don't think it was a bad game. I felt like game mechanics were absolute crap.

the venomous grand design

REmake enthusiast
And this quote from the creators . . .
“One thing that you have to keep in mind is that, if a game is too scary, people just won’t play it. If it gets too scary you just keep your eyes shut and soon it will be over. But if it’s a game, people will just stop. So that’s why there’s a limit on how scary you can make a game.”

“But in this case we’re totally ignoring that and, you know what? If you don’t want to keep on playing through the game, so be it. We don’t care. That’s the game we are aiming for.”
hopefully the game can live up to this quote

ChaoticMeltdown

P.T. was an amazing look into things that may come from Silent Hills. My biggest fear though is Norman Reedus. I always liked Silent Hill because the protagonist was never some military trained guy/girl, just some person finding themselves in a never ending nightmare. The best thing about that was you could see how inexperienced they where by the way they moved and how they fired off guns, this allowed me to see myself in the character a bit and with Reedus I just don't get that feeling, the guy looks like a tough guy and going through his acting career I can't see him play a main character in Silent Hill.

SH2 is easily my favorite because Guy Cihi is amazing in his role. His decent into madness is portrayed masterfully and that's the kind of character I'd like to see return him or Heather who is breathtaking as well....even more so than James.
But to my point I just can't see Reedus convoy such a character.

The other thing is while I love Kojima I'm unsure he can tackle the storytelling expected in a SH game. Kojima is one hell of a storyteller for sure, he has proven so in all of his games but he's never really tried his hand at pure psycho-horror and that makes me a bit iffy.

Then there is gameplay, I honestly hope Silent Hills is nothing like P.T. mainly because of the first person view. It worked in the trailer but I'm unsure if I could sit through 8+ hours of gameplay in that mode. Not because I'd be too scared but rather because I feel it restricts the player from the full Silent Hill experience, the most unnerving thing in a SH game, to me, has always been the immediate darkness surrounding me and having stuff happen around me not just in front. Like the cat scare in SH1 in the school. Or the storybook monster Glutton in SH3.

I'm excited to see Kojima's take on SH but having been let down by SH games since Homecoming I'm also a bit fearful. To me no other team other than Team Silent has fully understood what makes a Silent Hill game a Silent Hill game.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I always liked Silent Hill because the protagonist was never some military trained guy/girl, just some person finding themselves in a never ending nightmare.

Silent Hill Homecoming: The protagonist is a recently deployed Iraq War veteran. That's why things were so combat orientated in that game.

Speaking of which, PRO-TIP: Don't use your shotgun rounds on anything but these:
images

Top Bottom