• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Well, Capcom have officially finally turned me off to Resident Evil. There is nothing about what they’ve shown of RE7 that feels like a Resident Evil game other than it taking place in a derelict house.

There’s no way in hell I’ll be buying Resident Evil 7 without a third-person pov option, and every bit of info that exists on the game assures me there won’t be one. So, I guess that’s it. As far as I’m concerned, Revelations 2 is Resident Evil 7, and it’s the end. I hope other people can enjoy RE7 for what it is, but I’m out.

Now, my sour grapes and I have got to get back to work.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
This is interesting:

"Versuch sie doch mal in einer bestimmten Situation im Spitzboden zu nutzen" A community manager answered this to a comment about the axe. On the German Facebook site. It means about as much as: Try using it in a certain situation in the attic. They also said that they will reveal the answers to a later point. Guess this helps.

Also Capcom UK representative on "the finger":
3YG8Ycd.png

Last edited:

meg5493

Resident Evil 7 back to a small solitary setting - back to basics, one person in one location to bring back fear. Allows to focus on details, bringing the area to life. Not just a single little house, not all corridors like in the demo.

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

This just this. It feels like Capcom is finally going back and looking at what defined the older games.

IntoxNitram

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

This just this. It feels like Capcom is finally going back and looking at what defined the older games.
I agree. I was very eh when I saw the demo, but then started to think and realize that they are just showing off different elements of the game rather than it all at once. Now its confirmed also, I am very much looking forward to it. I think a game where you just run and hide would be eh, especially for a Resident Evil game. But with the way things are going and the fact we will get all of the other features, I can really buy into this.

svp

why are you saying this ??? its HORRIBLE THING THEY DID TO THIS BELOVED SERIES ! ITS PT/OUTLASR WITH A INBRED HILLBILLY FAMILY IN SWAMP HAUNTEDHOUSE GAME! No stars,no umbrella,no characters we love,no action of any kind , no old lore .... and first person view sucks asssss!!! If I can play it in third person id buy it to try otherwise resident evil is officially dead and buried!

um they didn't say that those elements were not going to be in the game.

IntoxNitram

so none of the old characters will be back? its confirmed?
We won't play as them at least. They haven't outright said they won't make appearances and they've said to stay tuned when asked so I presume we will come across them. Also looks like Umbrella could play a part.

svp

hmm but didnt all of those dudes die in the demo? maybe they were just bait for showing the atmosphere like most horror films. Maybe we will have some of the other characters show up later on.

meg5493

Umbrella is going to have some sort of presence in the real game. I mean heck you see the logo in the teaser!

Turo602

The King of Kings
You play a new character. Wanted to do away with 'superhero characters' to bring horror back. Powerless, ordinary person.

This bothers me because that's complete bullsh*t. Having "superhero" characters doesn't mean it can't be scary. Leon, Chris, and Jill could have easily been written in a situation that makes them powerless therefore making the player just as vulnerable as if they were playing as an "ordinary" person. Take Lost in Nightmares for example when Chris and Jill fell through the floor and lost all of their weapons and items. You're not trying to scare the character, you're trying to scare the player.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Yeah from the stream: combat and usual features are there. This demo isn't from the actual game, its just meant to set the feeling for the game. Knew not to panic.

First person here to stay.

You play a new character. Wanted to do away with 'superhero characters' to bring horror back. Powerless, ordinary person.

Its not a reboot. Its a sequel to the existing games, the cannon isn't forgotten. Despite what it looks like in the demo.

Not being told where it is set, that's part of the mystery and suspense.

Content the exact same whether playing with VR not. Only difference will be things like optimisations to make it play right.

Won't say what the threat is, says there are hints to make it more clear within the demo.

Resident Evil 7 back to a small solitary setting - back to basics, one person in one location to bring back fear. Allows to focus on details, bringing the area to life. Not just a single little house, not all corridors like in the demo.

Developer reassures that they haven't thrown out resident evil as it exists. Its not a supernatural ghost story instead. It will make sense and be true to the franchise.

Announces there are no quick time events in resident evil 7. Knows a lot of people will be happy with that.

More details in the coming months.
That's honestly kind of more what I had figured. This is good news for sure. The demo was scary and all, but there wasn't really much to it regarding like actual gameplay mechanics, so it didn't seem like it would be all that representative of the final product. Although that'd be kinda funny (in like a sad way) if after this the actual RE7 ended up being just like RE6. After all, they're known for "going back to their roots" and failing at it miserably.
hmm but didnt all of those dudes die in the demo? maybe they were just bait for showing the atmosphere like most horror films. Maybe we will have some of the other characters show up later on.
Yeah I think they were just to show it off. I thought it was kinda funny though that you experience 3 different time frames and everybody dies in all of them. Cheery start to be sure.

Reactions: svp

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Okay, even though the demo was only meant to give us a first taste of what is to come, and we'll be playing as a "powerless, ordinary person", I hope there will still be weapons in the game. There are none in the demo (except the axe maybe, which apparently no one knows how to use yet), but I don't want RE7 to be yet another one of those indie games where you constantly have to run and hide from the monsters. Because that's not "back to the roots" either. We always had weapons in the classics, and I rarely ran out of ammo except on some of the higher difficulty levels. So I don't want to be completely helpless in RE7 either.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I don't think "The Family" refers to "The Family" like in RE6, but rather the family that lives in that home. I could be wrong though. There may be a link. I think that Spencer looking dude in the trailer is actually the old man from this picture that @slack posted. Seen below.

24l4r5z.jpg

I'm starting to think that the game takes place in that neighbourhood and you can't escape. The whole thing might be a testing ground and an experiment. One that YOU are trapped in and you are being observed as an actual test subject. At least that's how things are looking. This game has so much potential and it's looking really good. We'll probably come to understand the fate of this unlucky family and it's surrounding residents. Perhaps like what happened on Sonido de Tortuga Island. Which was where an experiment conducted by a pharmaceutical company in 2015 observed it's virus through a reality TV show.

Fenris

Wolf :)
I've watched the trailer several times and finally played the demo. And I really enjoyed it! It felt fresh, kinda new but at the same time you could tell that this was an RE game with a more "old school" feeling. I agree on the fact that it rips off P.T but keep in mind that this demo is probably less than 1% of the actual game was probably created to show how Capcom went back to the roots. It's clever Marketing, nothing else.

And don't act like Resident Evil was always an "original series" If people complain about how Resident Evil 7 is a P.T rip off, then let's talk about how the core concept of the beloved Outbreak series is very similar to Obscure, how The Gun Survivor games are copying the The House of the Dead Games and how many similarties we can find between Revelations 2 and TLOU (and some Alan Wake aspects.) So yeah now it takes some elements from P.T ... big deal... And it's not like Resident Evil is the only franchise that does so.

I can see RE7 as some kind of new "RE4" with a more stand alone story, new game mechanics, which differ from the rest of the franchise but at the same time a lot of original ideas that will reinvent the franchise into a new direction.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I've watched the trailer several times and finally played the demo. And I really enjoyed it! It felt fresh, kinda new but at the same time you could tell that this was an RE game with a more "old school" feeling. I agree on the fact that it rips off P.T but keep in mind that this demo is probably less than 1% of the actual game was probably created to show how Capcom went back to the roots. It's clever Marketing, nothing else.

And don't act like Resident Evil was always an "original series" If people complain about how Resident Evil 7 is a P.T rip off, then let's talk about how the core concept of the beloved Outbreak series is very similar to Obscure, how The Gun Survivor games are copying the The House of the Dead Games and how many similarties we can find between Revelations 2 and TLOU (and some Alan Wake aspects.) So yeah now it takes some elements from P.T ... big deal... And it's not like Resident Evil is the only franchise that does so.

I can see RE7 as some kind of new "RE4" with a more stand alone story, new game mechanics, which differ from the rest of the franchise but at the same time a lot of original ideas that will lead the franchise into a new direction.

REVII is very much like RE4. Reinventing the series in terms of gameplay. REVII will likely be deeply tied with the series existing lore in the grand scheme of things. As for the people who complain REVII is too much like PT.... LMAO! It was playable last E3 to the press as "Project Kitchen". I kind of figured that was REVII after the rumors from the year before. So I was not surprised. As soon as the first item was picked up in the game, I called it. At first I was think Project Kitchen was it's own thing when they showed it, then I've noticed waaay too many RE things and then squealed and then there it was "Resident EVII". God this game is amazing!

I just think people need to quit acting surprised. I just don't see how it was not to be expected something like this would happen after all the hints over the past year. Personally I was not surprised in the slightest. I was half expecting something like this to happen. I've always been making the claim that REVII would be the next RE4 in terms of reinventing the series.

The comparison really bugs me. Especially considering REVII was likely in development first and the demo feels far more polished than PT did. I think they both had similar ideas at the same time. What is true is that Capcom stole Konami's marketing idea. Or at least it seems like they did. I guess we can't "Prove it" and can only "assume it" xD

boothjorden

For some reason I feel like there are connections with the "hook man" version of RE3.5 in terms of how the game with play.

Fenris

Wolf :)
Keep in mind though, just because it was in development first doesn't mean they had the "original idea" for it. Maybe they scrapped the entire part once they saw the success of P.T and remade it in the same style. (which is also just a theory.) It's always very difficult to tell who came up with an idea first. I'm just trying to justify the popular theory. I just came to notice how often Capcom uses similar ideas for their franchise. Of course there is nothing wrong with it, as long as the ideas get adjusted to fit into the franchise. (Heck, even I do it sometimes with some ideas of my novels. There is a reason why so many authors use homages) Of course it could also be the other way around, we just don't have enough information to make a clear judgment about it.

IntoxNitram

Okay, even though the demo was only meant to give us a first taste of what is to come, and we'll be playing as a "powerless, ordinary person", I hope there will still be weapons in the game. There are none in the demo (except the axe maybe, which apparently no one knows how to use yet), but I don't want RE7 to be yet another one of those indie games where you constantly have to run and hide from the monsters. Because that's not "back to the roots" either. We always had weapons in the classics, and I rarely ran out of ammo except on some of the higher difficulty levels. So I don't want to be completely helpless in RE7 either.
In the steam they confirmed features from the previous games, such as combat would be in the game. Also, there is a aim assist option in the demo so combat will definitely play a part. The discussion is how big of a part, I think they will make it so most of the time you choose to run rather than fight.

Top Bottom