• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Oh wait a second, now that we know Ethan's last name is Winters, it's actually the person that was mentioned in RE 5. He's supposed to be dead but it's RE anything can happen.

Ethan Winters in RE 5

Fd2tvzj.jpg

black 93

Oh wait a second, now that we know Ethan's last name is Winters, it's actually the person that was mentioned in RE 5. He's supposed to be dead but it's RE anything can happen.

Ethan Winters in RE 5

Fd2tvzj.jpg
Maybe Ethan isn't a total newbie after all. If this is true, he was involved with Umbrella way back.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Nah... I don't know. It would be a weird coincidence for the RE universe to have two different Ethans whose last names both happen to start with a W, but that alone can hardly count as proof that they are in fact the same person. And if they are, it pretty much contradicts the way they've been setting up the character up until now. While the connection is technically possible (as I don't recall Capcom ever stating that he can't be a former employee, only that he's not a combat veteran like Chris or Leon), wouldn't someone who has a past with Umbrella, and even a level 9 security clearance, be a little more perceptive when it comes to viruses, parasites and BOWs? Ethan, at least judging by what we've seen so far, has no clue what's going on. Mia on the other hand seems to know quite a lot that she hasn't been sharing (remember her line: "There's so much you need to know!"), so if anything, she's the one we should be suspecting.

black 93

Oh, so the thing about Ethan having ties to the series lore is true after all!
It's looking that way! Maybe this is the link Capcom have been talking about all along, would explain that Umbrella photo too. Of course, we don't know yet, but it would make sense for this to be the link.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Maybe Ethan isn't a total newbie after all. If this is true, he was involved with Umbrella way back.
If you look at the start of TAPE-3 trailer we see a ship exploding and Ethan drowning in a sea, maybe that was when Ethan W. was supposed to be "deceased" (as shown in RE 5) but he survived somehow. Maybe Ethan and Mia were both targets of assassination possibly by Umbrella, both were believed to be dead but they somehow survived and got separated while trying to do so, that's why Ethan finds out that Mia's still alive years later. Remember Kawata stated that RE 7 "might get started somewhere quite surprising". So I think it's possible that RE 7 starts in a ship with Ethan and Mia together.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
There's just two problems with this theory:
1) RE7 is set in 2017, and Mia was presumed dead for three years, which means the attempted assassination must have taken place in 2014. But RE5 is set in 2009.
2) There's still my point that Ethan seems way too green in the bioterror department for someone who had been working with Umbrella.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
1.) Perhaps the assassination attempt is the prologue of RE 7 which won't take place in 2017 or 2014, could be years earlier.
2.) Well Umbrella has a history of disposing their employees and Ethan happened to be a survivor. Ethan seems a little green probably because he's just a former researcher or maybe he suffered from Chris-like RE 6 trauma after the failed assassination attempt.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
1) Sorry, but the math doesn't add up: We know the assassination attempt can't have happened later than 2009, so if that was indeed the event that made the world believe Mia Winters was dead, then she would have been presumed dead for at least eight years by the time Ethan's RE7 journey begins, not only three. Because RE7 is set in 2017, so whatever "killed" her must have happened in 2014. Of course the prologue could still be about the assassination attempt of 2009 (or earlier), but then that's not the reason for her apparent death, as you suggested.

2) I was going to say that's unlikely because they already used the trauma/amnesia story on Chris in RE6 and won't let history repeat itself just one game later... But then I remembered they actually did just that with Chris in RE5 and 6. So you might be right about this one. (I still don't believe it, but it could be.)

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
1.) The assassination attempt that I'm referring here is Ethan's not Mia's. But yeah that means how Mia survived is unknown. I'm pretty conviced that that Ethan in RE 5 file is the RE 7 Ethan because again the initial W stands for Winters and the start of TAPE-3 trailer is his failed assassination attempt. Could be just pure coincidence but I doubt it.

2.) Another thing to add as why Ethan is "green" is probably because he won't be as muscular as Chris or won't have Leon's martial art skills.

black 93

Knowing RE, anything is possible. I personally believe this Ethan could very well be the same guy as in that RE5 file, it just seems to coincidental to have two Ethan W's. How Capcom are going to work it if it is true i don't know, but before anyone dismisses the idea, you have to remember that the RE7 we were going to get before RE6 was released was a very differnt one to the one we're getting. Im sure that when Capcom threw this Ethan guy into a file and said he was dead, they had no idea he would end up being the main character of a future game (assuming he is the same guy of course). From what i got from the ending of RE6, Jake was gunna be the main guy in 7. Maybe that could explain why Ethan dosen't seem like he truly fits yet. I think Capcom just needed a new guy with SOME kind of connection to Umbrella, and the events of past games, even of it is a very vauge one. But that Umbrella photo in the demo and now this last name Winter's... it seems very possible to me.

Fenris

Wolf :)
I just preorderd the game. It gives me a very exciting and refreshing impression and somehow I just can't do otherwise than to love it! Everything just seems to be so awesome about it. It's not very linear and seems to have a lot of details. And I also love the fact that there will be multiple endings. I don't know it just combines everything that I want from a scary modern RE game.

I was actually thinking that Mia might be (secretly) a Baker herself and she was abducted by the rest of the Family who are trying to do some kind of 'family reunion' by infecting her and forcing her to mutate.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I have 2 theories:
1. Mia is short for Ethan (or like a middle name or something). They're both named Ethan Winters, and the file is actually talking about her.
2. Capcom didn't remember or care about that file from RE5 and didn't know they already had an Ethan W. There's no association.

STEM_inhabitant

1.) The assassination attempt that I'm referring here is Ethan's not Mia's. But yeah that means how Mia survived is unknown. I'm pretty conviced that that Ethan in RE 5 file is the RE 7 Ethan because again the initial W stands for Winters and the start of TAPE-3 trailer is his failed assassination attempt. Could be just pure coincidence but I doubt it.

Wait, does TAPE-3 suggest at all that the beginning of the video is an assassination attempt, or are you believing that based on other observations?
Also, the initial W could stand for anything, Winters, Waters, White- I know it could end up being Winters but I'm not holding my breath on that. In fact, I would hope that it isn't Ethan Winters purely because I want to play as a completely new protagonist with no ties to Umbrella.

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
1.) The assassination attempt that I'm referring here is Ethan's not Mia's. But yeah that means how Mia survived is unknown.

As long as we can agree that Ethan's assassination attempt in 2009 (or whenever) isn't what supposedly killed Mia, then that's fine.

before anyone dismisses the idea, you have to remember that the RE7 we were going to get before RE6 was released was a very differnt one to the one we're getting. Im sure that when Capcom threw this Ethan guy into a file and said he was dead, they had no idea he would end up being the main character of a future game (assuming he is the same guy of course).

I hear you. As an author myself, I know how difficult/frustrating/complicated it can be to change your plans at the last minute because you realise that whatever you originally thought up won't work for some reason, and any attempt to fix it provides an easy attack surface for plot holes. That being said, I can still think of a few ways how this new Ethan could possibly be connected to RE5's Ethan W, or even be the same person, but it would require somewhat intelligent story-writing that we haven't seen in Capcom's last few numbered REs. I don't consider it implausible per se, I just don't think Capcom could pull it off believably.

I have 2 theories:
1. Mia is short for Ethan (or like a middle name or something). They're both named Ethan Winters, and the file is actually talking about her.

So... Mia is a blonde transvestite married to a guy with the same name, and they only call her Mia to distinguish? :confused: Because I never heard that Ethan could also be a female name. Or maybe the real Ethan isn't actually married, he just thinks he is, impersonating both himself and his wife, like Alfred did with his sister, and the journey through the Bakers' mansion looking for his other self is actually a journey through his ****tered memories that will end on the couch of Doctor Kaufmann, who tells him that this fantasy wife of his isn't even a ghost...

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Wait, does TAPE-3 suggest at all that the beginning of the video is an assassination attempt, or are you believing that based on other observations?
Also, the initial W could stand for anything, Winters, Waters, White- I know it could end up being Winters but I'm not holding my breath on that. In fact, I would hope that it isn't Ethan Winters purely because I want to play as a completely new protagonist with no ties to Umbrella.
Well at the beginning of the trailer we see a ship exploding and a seemingly defenseless Ethan drowning in the ocean, that implies that there's some kind of hostility toward Ethan, no? Also near the end of TAPE-3 trailer we see a lil girl in what looks like a hallway inside a ship. Maybe she's a BOW deployed by Umbrella to eliminate Ethan. RE 7 might start somewhere quite surprising according to Kawata so I guess it's possible that the game's prologue takes place in a ship where the assassination attempt occurs. This could be wrong of course but again I doubt it.

AGAIN with this "P.T./Outlast ripoff" excuse? The fact that you actually have a gun/weapon in your hands and can fight back renders that theory completely moot.

Plus, how many times do we have to point out that the demo is not part of the actual game? The final game has puzzles, exploration, item management, combat, weapons, savepoints, all the essential elements of the classic games just in first person. Hell, the layout of the Dulvey mansion takes a TON of vibes from the Spencer mansion from the first game, I don't know where you get off saying that after watching the 8 minute gameplay trailer posted above.
Duhhh, it's obviously not that black and white :wink:

Matt S

RE noob
Managed to find the axe and the gun in the demo, but have yet to escape. Going to wait to play this again until I can find a PSVR. If the whole game is in VR, holy cow....

RedPanda

4x the awesome
So... Mia is a blonde transvestite married to a guy with the same name, and they only call her Mia to distinguish? :confused: Because I never heard that Ethan could also be a female name. Or maybe the real Ethan isn't actually married, he just thinks he is, impersonating both himself and his wife, like Alfred did with his sister, and the journey through the Bakers' mansion looking for his other self is actually a journey through his ****tered memories that will end on the couch of Doctor Kaufmann, who tells him that this fantasy wife of his isn't even a ghost...
Something like that. Though theory number 2 is my current frontrunner as far as what I believe to be true. With all the files and minor characters and major characters they've had over the course of I don't even know how many games, they've used a lot of names over the years. It's entirely possible that there's no relation. I'm not saying I would be surprised if it was the same guy. It's certainly not the first time they would've used a character who was only briefly mentioned in a game prior. But if we looked hard enough we could probably find just about any name somewhere in RE lore.

Reactions: Hel

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Well at the beginning of the trailer we see a ship exploding and a seemingly defenseless Ethan drowning in the ocean, that implies that there's some kind of hostility toward Ethan, no? Also near the end of TAPE-3 trailer we see a lil girl in what looks like a hallway inside a ship. Maybe she's a BOW deployed by Umbrella to eliminate Ethan. RE 7 might start somewhere quite surprising according to Kawata so I guess it's possible that the game's prologue takes place in a ship where the assassination attempt occurs. This could be wrong of course but again I doubt it.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that's Mia. Slender arms and kinda feminine fingernails tells me it's Mia.

If it is Mia, I know how you make this work... Wesker threw her off the ship! But seriously, she has some kind of ties to the Baker family, who might be harboring an Umbrella research lab underneath their freakish house, so there IS some material to work with there for Revelations 3.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Uhh, I'm pretty sure that's Mia. Slender arms and kinda feminine fingernails tells me it's Mia.

If it is Mia, I know how you make this work... Wesker threw her off the ship! But seriously, she has some kind of ties to the Baker family, who might be harboring an Umbrella research lab underneath their freakish house, so there IS some material to work with there for Revelations 3.
I think you may be right, the arms do look a little bit slimmer. I'm still pretty convinced that Ethan W. is Ethan Winters though. By the way youtuber "Where'sBarry" just made an analysis video about this.

Top Bottom