• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Problems within the GLBTQIAA community

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Indeed you have. :)

It's supposed to be a social movement, but the "movement" part is kinda absent at my school. Though I was talking about the community as a whole. Although, regardless of the amount of activism in the community, opening your doors to all people and then only really welcoming two types of people isn't helpful. That's all I've been getting at. Let's treat this like a giant group of friends. Certain types of people in the group are attention hogging and the others feel like they can't get a word in. What should those people do?

Now that I think of it like that, I would just leave.

MY GOSH! :eek: That's it. As some people were saying earlier, there's too many letters! The community would probably be best served if it split up. Hm...how would that best be accomplished?

Oh and,

203665.jpg
Well, looking at it from the group of friends perspective, I can agree...Some friends feel more outcast than others...But perhaps splitting them up isn't the best option...I know in a group of friends it'd be odd not seeing them like I had grown used to..Perhaps what needs to be focused upon is tuning down the gays/lesbians/bi's...Those seem to be the three most common, and the one hogging the spotlight...Perhaps they should do a bit of soul searching to find out that it isn't something to, as someone said earlier "Shout from the rooftops" but to make you happier and better as a person...You say you're asexual...I highly doubt you go flaunting that...Because it's not something to flaunt...It's just...You..Nothing speical about it...The other three need to get a grasp on this, rather than splitting up everyone who does have something similar in common...

Btw, perhaps it's a good thing that the movement part is at a standstill...it makes it less of an issue to the outside public, which is the point anyway, right?

Reactions: Meg

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I'll use myself as an example. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be asexual in a society that seems to run on sex? Everything is full of sexual innuendos, jokes, the actual thing itself, etc. It's all over advertising, media, social life, and even a Dino Crisis forum ;) ;). Asexuality is something that isn't really well understood by a lot of people. It's incredibly tiring having to choose between explaining what it is to people and deal with the bullcrap that is sure to follow, or keep my mouth shut. So I basically don't have a voice. And I think a lot of people in the GLBTQIAA community feel the same way. That idea of not being able to say something, that silence, is a crushing feeling that can tear a person apart. I'm sure everyone's had that feeling at some point in their lives. It sucks. And just saying whatever is on your chest isn't that simple for a lot of people.
I'm sorry but as someone who has, and still is, struggling with the asexual thing I believe these are two different problems; so different they can't even be likened together. Asexuality isn't understood and, like you said, it's hard for a predominantly sex-driven world to understand it, but homosexuality is understood and that's most definitely not the problem. The problem there is that it's being forced upon people.

Like it or not, many of these GLBT groups are doing quite a bit of aggressive work in their favor, something not liked by everyone. If these groups stuck to what they were supposed to be, supportive and informative, there wouldn't be a problem but they're not. It's turning into a huge crusade and, now, I don't even believe the problem is acceptance anymore, I think it's that people are getting sick of hearing about it. It will wear on people, and it will spark hostile attitudes. (Especially now since all the campaigning for gay-marriage has spawned amendments that don't just affect the GLBT community.)

Think about it like this: when interracial couples were frowned upon, did people start campaigning for it? Did they start covering it in the news? No. Are people more accepting of interracial couples now to the point of not even batting an eyelash at the thought? Yes. KennedyKiller has a point, to a certain degree; if everyone just let the issue lie for a while, people just might be a little more accepting.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
EDIT: I got mega ninja'd, so bare with me. :eek:

Story- I don't think Questioning and asexual should be in a group together. Asexuals know what there sexuality is (non-existant) where as is you're questioning it's because you aren't sure. I don't see how they would fit together.

Agreed. They shouldn't go together, but perhaps Asexuals should have their own group to get more attention and the support they need from one another. That's all I originally meant in the first place... The community is just becoming one big blob of confusion and needs more structure, and more sections/segments to it. You get what I mean. ;)

I can see how you and Magnolia both could be very frustrated with how much sex... The world kind of puts in your face. I don't really understand what you're going though, but have empathy as I was bullied after coming out in highschool a lot. I'm not one to flaunt my sexuality either though, I just am who I am. I don't seek acceptance or attention, it's kind of how I deal with friends... If they don't like it they can GTFO. :p

Meg

So bin ich eben
These are all really good points, guys. :)

I think the "A for Asexual" needs to get taken off the list. I am flattered that the community wants to include everyone, but it's gotten to the point that there are too many people all trying to get attention in one group. I know AVEN is a popular asexual community online. It would probably be best if GLBTQIAA was broken up into GLBQ, TI, and A (with allies being an understood part of all of them).

svp

The only real ways to fix these issues are to stop talking about them...They only really get worse when they are given lables, such as this...Don't get me wrong...I'm all for people believing in whatever sexual preferance they believe in, and if you want to have sex with a cow then more power to ya...People are people, and as people, we have choice in ALL things nearly, however, it's like racism...It's only there because people won't let it die...

I honestly don't think groups like this should be around...If so much attention weren't drawn to it in negative OR positive aspects soiciety would get a long much better...This wouldn't even be a second thought in our heads...However, since it IS here, if things need to be fixed, then fix them...By any means necessary...
exactly, for example: In the Roman times gays and lesbians were considered normal..they had no labels, ever since religion started ( I am not blaming them, I am catholic) the world has a more up-tight view of homosexuality and other sexualities.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
exactly, for example: In the Roman times gays and lesbians were considered normal..they had no labels, ever since religion started ( I am not blaming them, I am catholic) the world has a more up-tight view of homosexuality and other sexualities.
I'm gonna point this out before anyone else to save you grief...You should probably say, before Christianity became popular, not before religion happened, because religion has ALWAYS been around, and when people talk about anti-homosexual in a religious way it's usually associated with Christianity...

Reactions: Meg

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
I'm gonna point this out before anyone else to save you grief...You should probably say, before Christianity became popular, not before religion happened, because religion has ALWAYS been around, and when people talk about anti-homosexual in a religious way it's usually associated with Christianity...
To me, KK, Religion hasn't always been around.

Religion to me, is the name of the box that man decided to put all his responsibility and fears into before eventually handing it over to '' authority '' figures. Man, used to respect nature, as he understood fully the simple undeniable fact that it provided for him and his family, like his mother did for him when he was just a boy in a world full of beasts that he grew to fear, but later respect. There was no need to for '' religion '' ....people like to put belief in the same department of Religion, and this i feel is intellectually lazy, and i would kindly suggest people of such a disposition to do some time in the philosophy gym, and get their grey matter flexing, as they are two very different muscles with different traits and jobs.

Anyhows, excuse my next effort at Sympathy......Which isn't pointed at your good self KK, but in general to the masses.

If you are over 20 and still carrying around your '' problems and hang ups '' about who you are, what you want to be, or think you are '' then it really is time to grow the **** up and start living life and quit your moaning. Time on this earth is very short, and if you want to spend it running around fighting the good fight, or waving micky mouse placards around then please, fill your boots, but i got a little something for you.

My sympathy for such attention seeking headcases is as follows,

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
To me, KK, Religion hasn't always been around.

Religion to me, is the name of the box that man decided to put all his responsibility and fears into before eventually handing it over to '' authority '' figures. Man, used to respect nature, as he understood fully the simple undeniable fact that it provided for him and his family, like his mother did for him when he was just a boy in a world full of beasts that he grew to fear, but later respect. There was no need to for '' religion '' ....people like to put belief in the same department of Religion, and this i feel is intellectually lazy, and i would kindly suggest people of such a disposition to do some time in the philosophy gym, and get their grey matter flexing, as they are two very different muscles with different traits and jobs.
Well VP, for the general human religion has always been around lol...Maybe not Christianity, but relgion in some form or another has...Ancient Greece, Ancient Egytp, Native Americans...They all had relgion...I'm not talking about that fake political relgious BS just so ya know, I just figured I'd let ya know...

svp

yes, sorry for the confusion that is what I meant, but I didn't want to say a specific religion because I thought I would start an argument.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
yes, sorry for the confusion that is what I meant, but I didn't want to say a specific religion because I thought I would start an argument.
Not a worry man...So long as it's kept PG it really isn't an issue to pick out a particular religion...Just don't make up phony BS about it (Not sayin that you did lol, just that it's uncool)...

Reactions: svp

svp

Not a worry man...So long as it's kept PG it really isn't an issue to pick out a particular religion...Just don't make up phony BS about it (Not sayin that you did lol, just that it's uncool)...
thanks I know, but I thought that before Christianity, the other religions viewed homosexuals as normal. ex: Romans, people of Ancient Greece, their gods had many homosexual stories and fantasies about them. I'm not saying they don't go by a religion, I'm saying their religion or views considered it more (normal)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
thanks I know, but I thought that before Christianity, the other religions viewed homosexuals as normal. ex: Romans, people of Ancient Greece, their gods had many homosexual stories and fantasies about them. I'm not saying they don't go by a religion, I'm saying their religion or views considered it more (normal)
I'm not particularly sure about those religions...But I know the samurai of fuedul Japan did...Consider it normal I mean...

svp

I don't think it's a bad thing at all...But you and everyone else knows there are going to be those that DON'T fight, and just expect organizations like these to do all the fighting for them...That's what I'm not a fan of...I think you should go it alone first, and then and ONLY then, after hard work, blood, sweat, and tears, should you join a group...But at journeys end, you still have to fight the big boss yourself...See, I'm a very will oriented person...I believe that if you want something out of life, you have to do it yourself...I'm very trusting of people, and couldn't live without them...But when it comes to attaining your dreams, you must do that yourself...Or it looses all symbolic and emotional value...
remember that some people in the gay community need support and guidance to help them with their struggles and with their sexuality. some of them might not have supportive parents or friends so they look towards the LGBTQ group to help them find new friends and learn to accept and love themselves for who they are. groups aren't always a bad thing causing someone to loose their self sufficiency...in this case its just a safe haven for kids to meet others like them and address issues. :)

umbra aeterna

Look, i say ur sexuality is your own business ...granted even though everyone i know knows I'm bi, i refuse to admit it until i have moved out.i kinda live by don't ask and i won't tell because i am more than my sexuality.and no i do not participate in anything lgbtq because ist is racist, sexist, classist, and biphobic and a sometimes heterophobic.most people i know are straight as an arrow si that woukd be turning on them.don't need a grouo of people to support wjo i live (and in the case of many people i the scene, who you like to ****) .

Biggest problem with lgbtq?

Bisexual should be biromantic

Homosexual should be homoromantic...why is the emphasis on sex?

I refuse to fight a movennt based on **** choices

And a s black person...is the lgbtq community gon a fight for ne?

I think not.

I'm a super minority, how many black female underclass bisexuals do YOU know?

There are so many but we are invisible

Solve the gay problem by not telling people you are gay until better times(next decade)

umbra aeterna

Look, i say ur sexuality is your own business ...granted even though everyone i know knows I'm bi, i refuse to admit it until i have moved out.i kinda live by don't ask and i won't tell because i am more than my sexuality.and no i do not participate in anything lgbtq because ist is racist, sexist, classist, and biphobic and a sometimes heterophobic.most people i know are straight as an arrow si that woukd be turning on them.don't need a grouo of people to support wjo i live (and in the case of many people i the scene, who you like to ****) .

Biggest problem with lgbtq?

Bisexual should be biromantic

Homosexual should be homoromantic...why is the emphasis on sex?

I refuse to fight a movennt based on **** choices

And a s black person...is the lgbtq community gon a fight for ne?

I think not.

I'm a super minority, how many black female underclass bisexuals do YOU know?

There are so many but we are invisible

Solve the gay problem by not telling people you are gay until better times(next decade)
-
sorry for the bad writing and harshness ,but it was an early morning rant on a mobile device.

i do,however,stand by the decision,you are not your sexuality.it is part of you .and again,i am not fighting for a movement for people crying about who they want to ****.period.that is between you and the other party (parties...).i support love for all,i am not gonna march down the street over pride of going down on another woman...straight people don't have straight pride,so why all the extra? being lgbt don't make you special.

i think asexuals and intersex should be seperate and lgbtq needs to seperate.as well.seems like gay white guys with money get all the goodies anyway. having them all grouped together leaves room for the abuse of power.we should all form our own seperate thing.and though i said i won't fight a fight for sex (i won't)the only way to save the cause is to eliminate the cause.
there is no cause for a fight for sex...it should be about love.
hence,aesexuals.They will have no voice if this is about sex.sex is no one else's business,it differs for indivisual and is too complex to understand,it is different.

example : i fall under gray A (rarely sexual) demisexual (sexuality with emotional connection) and panromantic (male female,masculine or feminine...not omnisexual or omniromantic because I am unsure how this would work with a trans or intersex person as i don't know any except one intersex gut...he looked mostly female with no chest and male parts).

however,when your average unknowing person asks,I say bi so I don't have to give that other speech.i say bi for bi romantic and bisexual so i don't have to identify it as only sex.it's not.maybe it is for some,but not me.for me,I can love by indivisual and inevitably sex is involved so it's unavoidable.if I love someone enough I'd do ALMOST anything for them sexually or otherwise (don't take advantage though,youwill regret it)

Also...why are you announcing your sexual preference? that's like all the sodomites banning together to fight for sodomy...or all people with an oral fixation fighting for the right to do mouth to south...

JUST DO IT

bruno

Chief Researcher
I think there is a common misconception about the "LGBT(+) community". There is no LGBT community, there is a LGBT population, and some of those individuals organize small communities or groups. Some are support groups, where people may meet others in similar situations and discuss eventual problems they may face, others are recreational groups, where people discuss different themes and make friends, and others are political groups, which focus on granting the LGBT populations the same rights as everyone else.

It is important for LGBT people to be able to talk about their feelings and problems they get for having a non-normative sexual orientation/gender identity. Most of the times, these people (especially teenagers) have no one in their group of friends and close family to talk about these subjects, because they're afraid of eventual consequences (bullying, being thrown out of home, abandoned by family/friends -- unfortunately these things still happen in many cases). The objective of support groups is to provide a safe place for people to discuss these matters freely, without being judged. However, the people who go to these groups should not be dependent on them to live a healthy life (and in case they are, they are clearly in need for professional help).

About the pride marches, they are a way to bring visibility to the LGBT population and the problems they still face. I think LGBT people do need the visibility, but the pride marches usually bring a negative type of visibility. Unknowing people just think they want to showoff and **** them off. It is much more effective when people act naturally about their sexual orientation/gender identity around their families/friends.

umbra aeterna

I think there is a common misconception about the "LGBT(+) community". There is no LGBT community, there is a LGBT population, and some of those individuals organize small communities or groups. Some are support groups, where people may meet others in similar situations and discuss eventual problems they may face, others are recreational groups, where people discuss different themes and make friends, and others are political groups, which focus on granting the LGBT populations the same rights as everyone else.

It is important for LGBT people to be able to talk about their feelings and problems they get for having a non-normative sexual orientation/gender identity. Most of the times, these people (especially teenagers) have no one in their group of friends and close family to talk about these subjects, because they're afraid of eventual consequences (bullying, being thrown out of home, abandoned by family/friends -- unfortunately these things still happen in many cases). The objective of support groups is to provide a safe place for people to discuss these matters freely, without being judged. However, the people who go to these groups should not be dependent on them to live a healthy life (and in case they are, they are clearly in need for professional help).

About the pride marches, they are a way to bring visibility to the LGBT population and the problems they still face. I think LGBT people do need the visibility, but the pride marches usually bring a negative type of visibility. Unknowing people just think they want to showoff and **** them off. It is much more effective when people act naturally about their sexual orientation/gender identity around their families/friends.

-
yes, i agree with this.i don't trust anyone to be able to help me out of my situation and i don't think telling my dad is worth getting thrown out to the cold or getting ostracized. Unnecessary hardship.

I envy those who your only major problem is who you sleep with.

What about the underprivileged, lgbt religious indivisuals ostraciszed by their, those who are homeless among other things.

And the race thing

Not to mention ageism.

I just find that the actual community is a place for predators. The lgbt community serves 2 purposes...sex and politics.

I agree with the population part though.don't lunp us all together, thank you

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
All I have to say is that I'm proud to live in a country where everyone is treated equally under the law. It might not be perfect, but at least things like these are non-issues to 95% of the population.

I don't think I will ever leave Canada. Well, I might go to Germany. Germany's got a lot of kinky sex I hear.

umbra aeterna

All I have to say is that I'm proud to live in a country where everyone is treated equally under the law. It might not be perfect, but at least things like these are non-issues to 95% of the population.

I don't think I will ever leave Canada. Well, I might go to Germany. Germany's got a lot of kinky sex I hear.
maybe I should go to canada...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I think there is a common misconception about the "LGBT(+) community". There is no LGBT community, there is a LGBT population, and some of those individuals organize small communities or groups.
I agree.

About the pride marches, they are a way to bring visibility to the LGBT population and the problems they still face. I think LGBT people do need the visibility, but the pride marches usually bring a negative type of visibility. Unknowing people just think they want to showoff and **** them off.
They would p!ss me off very much, so I'm probably "unknowing". :\ But they've not made it here yet so it's not really an issue for me. I've seen it on the news from abroad and the guys there, many dressed like women, clearly wanted to show off.

By the way, I do object the use of "G" in GLBT. Gay means happy or cheerful, and it's just a slang term for homosexual. I'm often gay, but not at the moment.

What the hell is intersex??

Top Bottom