• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Problems within the GLBTQIAA community

Meg

So bin ich eben
OMG did you say problems?! Yes, yes indeed. Despite how cool the community is, it isn't perfect. But first, for people who don't know, the letters mean:

G= Gay
L= Lesbian
B= Bisexual
T= Transgender/transsexual
Q= Questioning (?)
I= Intersex
A= Asexual
A= Straight Ally

Now that that's out of the way! :) Basically what I want people's thoughts on is the imbalance within the community. I've been supporting my school's center for over a year now and many of us have noticed that gay/lesbian rights get way more attention than anything else. Trans is something barely anyone in the movement as a whole or media talks about. Intersex is never heard of and neither is asexual.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that the movement is supposed to be for everyone and to give many different people a voice and the rights they deserve. However, with such a heavy focus on homosexuality and not much else, there are many people who do not feel like they fit in with the community they are supposed to be a part of.

What have you noticed? And what do you think can be done to help remedy this problem? :)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The only real ways to fix these issues are to stop talking about them...They only really get worse when they are given lables, such as this...Don't get me wrong...I'm all for people believing in whatever sexual preferance they believe in, and if you want to have sex with a cow then more power to ya...People are people, and as people, we have choice in ALL things nearly, however, it's like racism...It's only there because people won't let it die...

I honestly don't think groups like this should be around...If so much attention weren't drawn to it in negative OR positive aspects soiciety would get a long much better...This wouldn't even be a second thought in our heads...However, since it IS here, if things need to be fixed, then fix them...By any means necessary...

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
They should accept themselves for a start, and feel less needy for the approval of others or acceptance into '' groups or communities ''
I agree completely. I mean, not to sound insensitive or anything but I don't feel the need to shout "I'm straight" from the rooftops so why do homosexuals feel this compelling need to come out in a big way or make a big deal about it? Accept yourself; your sexuality is your own and you shouldn't care what others think or feel the need to be accepted by everyone.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
"I LOVE LAMP." - Anchorman.

Nah, but seriously... I think this group is a bit too vague. As in, it should be separated. I liked the group as LGBT, and then they added all of the other acronyms. Perhaps there should be a group for Q&A (Questioning and Asexual) together. Then, everyone would get their deserved attention. This is just my opinion though, and it will probably never happen, but it'd make more sense to do things that way.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
"I LOVE LAMP." - Anchorman.

Nah, but seriously... I think this group is a bit too vague. As in, it should be separated. I liked the group as LGBT, and then they added all of the other acronyms. Perhaps there should be a group for Q&A (Questioning and Asexual) together. Then, everyone would get their deserved attention. This is just my opinion though, and it will probably never happen, but it'd make more sense to do things that way.
And it's MUCH less of a mouthful to say that way lol...

Meg

So bin ich eben
EDIT: I got mega ninja'd, so bare with me. :eek:

Story- I don't think Questioning and asexual should be in a group together. Asexuals know what there sexuality is (non-existant) where as is you're questioning it's because you aren't sure. I don't see how they would fit together.

----

Not talking about a problem is like sweeping dirt under a rug and saying you cleaned. No you didn't. The problem is still there; you are just pretending it isn't. How is that helpful?

Accepting yourself is great, but that can be hard to do in this society. (I'm only talking about America because that's where I live.) Even if you do accept yourself there are going to be people and things that don't accept you and hurt you because of it.

The thing is is that a lot of people are still treated like crap because of who they are. If they try to express who they are they get bullied, harassed, denied rights, whatever. So those people came together to form a community where they can all be accepted because, unfortunately, there are a lot of un-accepting people in the world who would make those people's lives terrible. Even if they don't really try to.

I'll use myself as an example. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be asexual in a society that seems to run on sex? Everything is full of sexual innuendos, jokes, the actual thing itself, etc. It's all over advertising, media, social life, and even a Dino Crisis forum ;) ;). Asexuality is something that isn't really well understood by a lot of people. It's incredibly tiring having to choose between explaining what it is to people and deal with the bullcrap that is sure to follow, or keep my mouth shut. So I basically don't have a voice. And I think a lot of people in the GLBTQIAA community feel the same way. That idea of not being able to say something, that silence, is a crushing feeling that can tear a person apart. I'm sure everyone's had that feeling at some point in their lives. It sucks. And just saying whatever is on your chest isn't that simple for a lot of people.

So, basically, what I'm trying to get at is that there are a lot of people within said community that feel they don't have a voice because people both in and outside of their community are preventing them from having one. This is a problem.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
EDIT: I got mega ninja'd, so bare with me. :eek:

Not talking about a problem is like sweeping dirt under a rug and saying you cleaned. No you didn't. The problem is still there; you are just pretending it isn't. How is that helpful?

Accepting yourself is great, but that can be hard to do in this society. (I'm only talking about America because that's where I live.) Even if you do accept yourself there are going to be people and things that don't accept you and hurt you because of it.

The thing is is that a lot of people are still treated like crap because of who they are. If they try to express who they are they get bullied, harassed, denied rights, whatever. So those people came together to form a community where they can all be accepted because, unfortunately, there are a lot of un-accepting people in the world who would make those people's lives terrible. Even if they don't really try to.

I'll use myself as an example. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be asexual in a society that seems to run on sex? Everything is full of sexual innuendos, jokes, the actual thing itself, etc. It's all over advertising, media, social life, and even a Dino Crisis forum ;) ;). Asexuality is something that isn't really well understood by a lot of people. It's incredibly tiring having to choose between explaining what it is to people and deal with the bullcrap that is sure to follow, or keep my mouth shut. So I basically don't have a voice. And I think a lot of people in the GLBTQIAA community feel the same way. That idea of not being able to say something, that silence, is a crushing feeling that can tear a person apart. I'm sure everyone's had that feeling at some point in their lives. It sucks. And just saying whatever is on your chest isn't that simple for a lot of people.

So, basically, what I'm trying to get at is that there are a lot of people within said community that feel they don't have a voice because people both in and outside of their community are preventing them from having one. This is a problem.
It's quite simple really...Detemination is the key...I understand what we are talking about here...I really do...And I was a quite kid...Always getting picked on in school, hit by my dad, sourounded by drugs, and lots of other things...And for a LONG time I had no voice...Then one day I decided to say FU*K THIS! And I've had a voice ever since...Im vocal about anything I feel the need to be vocal about, and if I get hit then I roll with the punches...If I get hit twice then I start hitting back! People don't need to form comunitees to make them feel good...Because at the end of a day, that comunitee won't ALWAYS be there to protect you...And when that time comes you need to be able to have your own voice...Not the voice of a comunitee...EVERYONE has a voice...You have to be strong enough to reach down your own throat, grab your own heart, and rip the voice out to use for all to hear...Once you do THAT then the world will open it's eyes, and on a good day, bow before you...

Meg

So bin ich eben
It's quite simple really...Detemination is the key...I understand what we are talking about here...I really do...And I was a quite kid...Always getting picked on in school, hit by my dad, sourounded by drugs, and lots of other things...And for a LONG time I had no voice...Then one day I decided to say FU*K THIS! And I've had a voice ever since...Im vocal about anything I feel the need to be vocal about, and if I get hit then I roll with the punches...If I get hit twice then I start hitting back! People don't need to form comunitees to make them feel good...Because at the end of a day, that comunitee won't ALWAYS be there to protect you...And when that time comes you need to be able to have your own voice...Not the voice of a comunitee...EVERYONE has a voice...You have to be strong enough to reach down your own throat, grab your own heart, and rip the voice out to use for all to hear...Once you do THAT then the world will open it's eyes, and on a good day, bow before you...

...so I take it people can't form history clubs then? Because hey, not everyone likes history. Some people are made fun of because they like history. So people come together and form a club so they can meet other people who also like history.
There aren't going to scream their love of history to the world, but knowing they are part of a community that also likes history is a comforting thought. It's also a way to meet new people and make friends. But I guess you'd rather that history club didn't exist. *sobs*

Reactions: Hel

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
...so I take it people can't form history clubs then? Because hey, not everyone likes history. Some people are made fun of because they like history. So people come together and form a club so they can meet other people who also like history.
There aren't going to scream their love of history to the world, but knowing they are part of a community that also likes history is a comforting thought. It's also a way to meet new people and make friends. But I guess you'd rather that history club didn't exist. *sobs*
But a history club isn't supposed to be a life changing organization...From what I understand the GLBTQIAA is supposed to be...And you can't trust it to be there EVERY time you fall...You have to be there for yourself sometimes...And really, a history club would be the same way...History isn't a political ans social issue...Sexual orientation is...It SHOULDN"T be...But it is..And the more attention we draw to it, the longer it will continue to be...

Meg

So bin ich eben
But a history club isn't supposed to be a life changing organization...From what I understand the GLBTQIAA is supposed to be...And you can't trust it to be there EVERY time you fall...You have to be there for yourself sometimes...And really, a history club would be the same way...History isn't a political ans social issue...Sexual orientation is...It SHOULDN"T be...But it is..And the more attention we draw to it, the longer it will continue to be...
When you say "you" are you referring to me or to people in general? Because my involvement in the community is very limited when it comes to my own sexuality. In fact, I don't think anyone there knows what my sexuality is. From what I've found, the GLBTQIAA (which will now be called Alphabet Soup) community is a safe place for people to meet other people they can relate to. Some might see it as their savior or whatever, but a lot of people just like the company. So it's more like history club than you think.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
When you say "you" are you referring to me or to people in general? Because my involvement in the community is very limited when it comes to my own sexuality. In fact, I don't think anyone there knows what my sexuality is. From what I've found, the GLBTQIAA (which will now be called Alphabet Soup) community is a safe place for people to meet other people they can relate to. Some might see it as their savior or whatever, but a lot of people just like the company. So it's more like history club than you think.
I mean you as in the general populace...

And if they aren making/presenting issues, then it is not a history club...It's a present day social movement...Look, it's not that I'm not supportive of peoples sexual orientation, or even their opinions on ANYTHING that concerns them...But it isn't right to make a club just to feel good about yourself if you've had a hard life...That defeats the purpose of standing up for yourself, something we are taught to do from a very young age...I have no problem with sitting down on a Thursday evening, sipping tea, and chatting about things I have in common with my "club" but I do have a problem if a member of said club is having issues and wants all of us to fix them for him/her...That isn't right...People need to learn that they have a voice and they can make things different...And even against the toughest odds with the right ammount of will power, determination, and a give 'em hell attitude, they can acomplish WONDEROUS things...But they need to do it on their own...Or else the true meaning behind what they were fighting for is meaningless...For example, in every classic heroes tales, the adventurer always has his group of allies...But when it comes to the final bad guy, the hero ALWAYS goes it alone, to prove what he/she set out to prove at the start of the story...Life is not so different...

Meg

So bin ich eben
I mean you as in the general populace...

And if they aren making/presenting issues, then it is not a history club...It's a present day social movement...Look, it's not that I'm not supportive of peoples sexual orientation, or even their opinions on ANYTHING that concerns them...But it isn't right to make a club just to feel good about yourself if you've had a hard life...That defeats the purpose of standing up for yourself, something we are taught to do from a very young age...I have no problem with sitting down on a Thursday evening, sipping tea, and chatting about things I have in common with my "club" but I do have a problem if a member of said club is having issues and wants all of us to fix them for him/her...That isn't right...People need to learn that they have a voice and they can make things different...And even against the toughest odds with the right ammount of will power, determination, and a give 'em hell attitude, they can acomplish WONDEROUS things...But they need to do it on their own...Or else the true meaning behind what they were fighting for is meaningless...For example, in every classic heroes tales, the adventurer always has his group of allies...But when it comes to the final bad guy, the hero ALWAYS goes it alone, to prove what he/she set out to prove at the start of the story...Life is not so different...
There's strength in numbers....?

BAM! Annnnnd Meg just debunked your argument! :p

Of course, I'm only teasing. Look, as far as my campus group goes it is more about being a social group than an activist group. The feminist group on my campus (which I'm vice prez of EEEEEE! :D) does more to gain Alphabet Soup rights than they do. It's pathetic.

I don't know why people coming together to fight for a common cause is such a bad thing to you. There was this thing in the sixties called the Civil Rights Movement that was all about people coming together to fight for acceptance. It was kind of a big deal and did wondrous things for the black community. People have been coming together to form groups and fight for what they believe in (and winning) for decades. I really don't understand where your argument has any ground. Sorry.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
There's strength in numbers....?

BAM! Annnnnd Meg just debunked your argument! :p

Of course, I'm only teasing. Look, as far as my campus group goes it is more about being a social group than an activist group. The feminist group on my campus (which I'm vice prez of EEEEEE! :D) does more to gain Alphabet Soup rights than they do. It's pathetic.

I don't know why people coming together to fight for a common cause is such a bad thing to you. There was this thing in the sixties called the Civil Rights Movement that was all about people coming together to fight for acceptance. It was kind of a big deal and did wondrous things for the black community. People have been coming together to form groups and fight for what they believe in (and winning) for decades. I really don't understand where your argument has any ground. Sorry.
I don't think it's a bad thing at all...But you and everyone else knows there are going to be those that DON'T fight, and just expect organizations like these to do all the fighting for them...That's what I'm not a fan of...I think you should go it alone first, and then and ONLY then, after hard work, blood, sweat, and tears, should you join a group...But at journeys end, you still have to fight the big boss yourself...See, I'm a very will oriented person...I believe that if you want something out of life, you have to do it yourself...I'm very trusting of people, and couldn't live without them...But when it comes to attaining your dreams, you must do that yourself...Or it looses all symbolic and emotional value...

Meg

So bin ich eben
I don't think it's a bad thing at all...But you and everyone else knows there are going to be those that DON'T fight, and just expect organizations like these to do all the fighting for them...That's what I'm not a fan of...I think you should go it alone first, and then and ONLY then, after hard work, blood, sweat, and tears, should you join a group...But at journeys end, you still have to fight the big boss yourself...See, I'm a very will oriented person...I believe that if you want something out of life, you have to do it yourself...I'm very trusting of people, and couldn't live without them...But when it comes to attaining your dreams, you must do that yourself...Or it looses all symbolic and emotional value...
So you are both for and against these kind of communities...?

You sir, seem to think having a contradicting opinion is a good idea. You sir, are completely insane and should seek help. Good day to you.

-----

Now then! ;) Since the original purpose of the thread was about how to strengthen the community and not about whether or not it should exist in the first place, let's get back to the topic. Danke. XD

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So you are both for and against these kind of communities...?

You sir, seem to think having a contradicting opinion is a good idea. You sir, are completely insane and should seek help. Good day to you.
Lol...Sorry, I should be more clear on what I mean...As a group, just like a "Club" as you put it...Is fine...Get together, have snack, and talk about your feelings while watching a chick flick...But, the way you describe it in your opening post makes it sound like a social movement..that I do NOT agree with...Have I cleared anything up?

Meg

So bin ich eben
Lol...Sorry, I should be more clear on what I mean...As a group, just like a "Club" as you put it...Is fine...Get together, have snack, and talk about your feelings while watching a chick flick...But, the way you describe it in your opening post makes it sound like a social movement..that I do NOT agree with...Have I cleared anything up?
Indeed you have. :)

It's supposed to be a social movement, but the "movement" part is kinda absent at my school. Though I was talking about the community as a whole. Although, regardless of the amount of activism in the community, opening your doors to all people and then only really welcoming two types of people isn't helpful. That's all I've been getting at. Let's treat this like a giant group of friends. Certain types of people in the group are attention hogging and the others feel like they can't get a word in. What should those people do?

Now that I think of it like that, I would just leave.

MY GOSH! :eek: That's it. As some people were saying earlier, there's too many letters! The community would probably be best served if it split up. Hm...how would that best be accomplished?

Oh and,

203665.jpg

Top Bottom