• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Operation Raccoon City Operation Raccoon City Trailer

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
Anyway, my point being, don't put RE4 under that bus, it doesn't belong there. I understand that there are new RE fans(post RE4, who typically prefer OTS style gameplay, all that) and there are the older RE fans(the RE purists, who hate anyhthing RE4 and after, naively I might add), and there is the group I consider myself in, a more "real" RE fan. I play the games from all throughout the series, and appreciate them all. Some more than others, and I think the games have gone downhill a bit after RE4, but not because, or starting with RE4.

This right here ercked me. I don't understand why you think the people that didn't like RE4 and RE5 aren't "real" RE fans. I have played every RE game that has been released in the US, including the one for Gameboy, read every novel, read the comic book series, seen every movie, cosplayed RE, I've even read the 50 page thesis explaining how/why/if it could really happen, and when I was younger my friends and I would pretend that we were actual characters in the game and shoot cap guns at nothing pretending they were zombies. But just because I don't like RE4 and RE5 I'm not a "real" RE fan? Or naive for not liking 4 and 5? It's not fair and certain not right to just flat out say everyone but you is not a "real" fan. A "real" fan is someone just genuinely likes the series, openly expresses their views on the many different universes, whether it be good or bad. Furthermore, just because someone doesn't agree with your outlook on certain games, doesn't mean they are wrong. It's their opinion, not yours. You are more than welcome to discuss the whys/why nots, just don't make assumptions and make yourself out to be the RE king.

Professor X

I've not played 5, as going by Youtube clip's it look's identical to 4 in many aspect's.

Despite this, I've decided to stick by the serie's because the storyline/atmosphere of the classic's are just that fantastic.

Thank goodness "6" is going to be a reboot.. Hopefully Capcom'll return to the root's of BH.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
^The classics are why I stick around as well.

This right here ercked me. I don't understand why you think the people that didn't like RE4 and RE5 aren't "real" RE fans. I have played every RE game that has been released in the US, including the one for Gameboy, read every novel, read the comic book series, seen every movie, cosplayed RE, I've even read the 50 page thesis explaining how/why/if it could really happen, and when I was younger my friends and I would pretend that we were actual characters in the game and shoot cap guns at nothing pretending they were zombies. But just because I don't like RE4 and RE5 I'm not a "real" RE fan? Or naive for not liking 4 and 5? It's not fair and certain not right to just flat out say everyone but you is not a "real" fan. A "real" fan is someone just genuinely likes the series, openly expresses their views on the many different universes, whether it be good or bad.

I haven't played Resident Evil 5 because I don't have a PS3 but I started to tackle Resident Evil 4 after I got it used for Christmas (and that was only because I wanted to play as HUNK in mercs) and I still haven't gotten through it. The atmosphere is so...bland, the storyline leaves something to be desired and I skip every cut-scene I can because I honestly couldn't care less about what's going on - not to mention that I can't even force myself to start playing it again after I've stopped, I'd rather play one of the older ones. If there was any way that I could get the mercs game without playing the actual game, I would and I don't think that makes me any less of a Resident Evil fan.

Resident Evil 4 might be a good game, if that's a popular opinion I won't dispute it - it's just not my personal cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a good Resident Evil game. (Because, believe it or not, there is a big difference.)

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Damn, I'm late D:

I don not remember solving even 1 puzzle or finding components for a machine or a key to unlock a door or ... in addition,I agree with Silverback ,RE was not scary at all.

I remember some puzzles, but what can I say? It's the question if they really were challenging or not. They had nothing to do with the files and they were so damn easy (except the puzzle behind the church). It would've been better if, for example, you had to kill Verdugo to get a key or whatever. But if we'll compare RE4-puzzles with the classic RE-puzzles, then RE4 terribly sucks so bad.

While I have yet to play Resident Evil 4 in its entirety, I have to weigh in agreement with this; nothing I've seen as of yet has constituted as scary. (And Resident Evil is Survival Horror after all. ;) )

Exactly; survival horror. While RE4 may be survival action, I (personally) had a bigger urge to kill everyone and everything in my way, instead of running away.

And about the scariness. I disagree that RE4 isn't scary, but I do agree that it's just not the same fear as in the classic games. It's more Dead Space like (never played the game, but saw a trailer). Being chased by the Verdugo, hearing the breath of the Regenerator and seeing Dr. Salvador at a save distance is just not the same as the fear of being attacked every single moment.
Remember the Licker jumping through that magic mirror at RE2 D:

Professor X

And about the scariness. I disagree that RE4 isn't scary, but I do agree that it's just not the same fear as in the classic games. It's more Dead Space like (never played the game, but saw a trailer). Being chased by the Verdugo, hearing the breath of the Regenerator and seeing Dr. Salvador at a save distance is just not the same as the fear of being attacked every single moment.
Remember the Licker jumping through that magic mirror at RE2 D:

"Attacked every single moment" is something that only happen's in 4 and 5.... well, atleast to a greater extent than the classic's... I guess it happen's in both game's, but the atmosphere of the classic's make's them scarier than 4 and 5.

Also, I have played Dead Space, and BH4 is nothing like that game in term's of fear and scariness. DS had me freaking out all the time.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
This right here ercked me. I don't understand why you think the people that didn't like RE4 and RE5 aren't "real" RE fans. I have played every RE game that has been released in the US, including the one for Gameboy, read every novel, read the comic book series, seen every movie, cosplayed RE, I've even read the 50 page thesis explaining how/why/if it could really happen, and when I was younger my friends and I would pretend that we were actual characters in the game and shoot cap guns at nothing pretending they were zombies. But just because I don't like RE4 and RE5 I'm not a "real" RE fan? Or naive for not liking 4 and 5? It's not fair and certain not right to just flat out say everyone but you is not a "real" fan. A "real" fan is someone just genuinely likes the series, openly expresses their views on the many different universes, whether it be good or bad. Furthermore, just because someone doesn't agree with your outlook on certain games, doesn't mean they are wrong. It's their opinion, not yours. You are more than welcome to discuss the whys/why nots, just don't make assumptions and make yourself out to be the RE king.

I am the RE King, but that's not what this is about.:)

Now perhaps I shouldn't generalize, as I hate it when others do, so to save myself from being a total hypocrite, the thing about the fans is general. I assumed that went without saying, but yes, and there is a reason I put that.

That is a huge majority of the fanbase. Splitting the fans between RE4 pretty much. You can't deny there is a certain stigma attached to liking RE4. To say your favorite game in the series is RE4, immediately people will assume you are an RE4 fanboy, Leon fanboy, etc. Anyway, it's really a class system, this isn't my opinion, just an observation from being on RE forums, Youtube, etc.

Again, generalizing is the word. The things in RE4 generally generalized are the things there, for horror purproses that are generalized as being simply, "not scary", while the stuff in pretty much anything prior to, being, "classic", "scary", etc. I just get tired of all the, "nothing is better than the original" bullsh*t.

RE4 & RE5. Yes similar, but not the same, no more than RE1 & RE2 are the same. But, I'm not defending RE5, I know that action was one of the biggest things in that game, and having it go from action, to horror, then back to action, then back to horror just doesn't work. The atmosphere and mood needs to be set, and RE5 didn't.

RE4 though, it did, from the very beginning. RE4 had horror, puzzles, survival, etc.

The village part, though during the day, was one of my favorite, and surely one of the best parts of the game. The atmosphere, mood, isolation, everything all of a sudden going to hell, that was all there at the beginning, and that awesome stuff continued 'til the end.

"Fear of being attacked at every single moment". That sure doesn't describe my time with RE1, RE2, RE3, or CVX....

There is definately an obligation to kill everything before moving on to the next area in RE4. Perhaps because we can now handle a single enemy with ease(that is once you are familiar with the aiming and all. The enemies also drop items, a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. But there is nothing wrong with being able to(as Leon for example since he's one of the most experienced characters in the series, along with Chris, Jill, Claire) take on a ganado and not feel like you are fighting fighting a single zombie in RE2. Leon, after 6 years I would think would have learned a thing or two about BOWs.

Perhaps I've typed enough for now, I'll just wait for the response to retort.

Top Bottom