• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Operation Raccoon City Operation Raccoon City Trailer

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
There was nothing scary about Resident Evil 4.

Startling, maybe, but not scary.
That's to say that there was anything scary about any other RE games?

You are making it out to seem like anything pre-RE4 had you ****ing yourself while RE4 just made you laugh.

I gaurantee that isn't the case.

I mean, there are tons of things in RE4, worthy of being called horror. A few jumpy moments that got me, and I watched a few other people play, even set people up for certain things, like that part with the Del Lago, or turning around to see a chainsaw ganado right in your face, screaming while beheading you. It's intense, and worthy of being called scary, Period.

Professor X

That's to say that there was anything scary about any other RE games?

You are making it out to seem like anything pre-RE4 had you ****ing yourself while RE4 just made you laugh.

I guarantee that isn't the case.

I never said BH4 made me "laugh" though. Your right however, as I just looked up the definition for "scary". So I take my statement back. There are scary moment's in BH4.

The older game's are just much more disturbing, and dark, I think are the correct term's.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I mean, there are tons of things in RE4, worthy of being called horror. A few jumpy moments that got me, and I watched a few other people play, even set people up for certain things, like that part with the Del Lago, or turning around to see a chainsaw ganado right in your face, screaming while beheading you. It's intense, and worthy of being called scary, Period.

Those situation's have scared me. Especially Del Lago. I was wrong. When I say the older game's are "scarier", what I mean is that the subject matter of the older game's is much darker, and horrific.

Hope that clear's thing's up.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I never said BH4 made me "laugh" though. Your right however, as I just looked up the definition for "scary". So I take my statement back. There are scary moment's in BH4.

The older game's are just much more disturbing, and dark, I think are the correct term's.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Those situation's have scared me. Especially Del Lago. I was wrong. When I say the older game's are "scarier", what I mean is that the subject matter of the older game's is much darker, and horrific.

Hope that clear's thing's up.

Well I'm glad you cleared it up, and that's much, much, much more agreeable, but that's exactly what I'm talking about. I hate it when someone takes all the great stuff in RE, let's say RE4 for instance, and balls it all up in a, "It's not scary at all" kind of thing, when that's not the case. I'm all for exagerating, it adds effect, but let's not forget about the good stuff, which is overlooked by a few bad things.

I would agree, some of the environments, especially the atmosphere, particularly in the REmake, are much much better.

RE4's beginning, the atmosphere, and situation, etc were all on par with some of the top stuff in RE. Maybe not the best, but up there. Again, it's just something that get's forgotten under all the negative complaints.

But yes, I understand what you are saying now, that you have clarified.

Nemesis1985

look Spike991,we all have different opinions about games.If I believe that RE4 was not scary at all,that does not mean that u are wrong or my opinion is right.That is just what I think,and yes,there were some moments in RE2 and 3 that i literally did wet my self.I do not know what u are trying to prove.

Professor X

RE4 had it's scary moment's on the first playthrough - Because you don't know what to expect, but after that, it loose's a lot of it's thunder because of the over-the-shoulder camera, and because I'm carrying the US Millitary in my pocket.

These day's, the game will startle me, but it doesn't have the full effect it had at first.

That's how I feel. (though being locked in a cage with a Garrador might be seen as scary to some)

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
I don't agree with people calling the '' scaryness '' of certain RE games into question especially when the gameplay is entirely different which means the envirnment is also different.

To keep this short,
being in a mansion with little ammo and tight spaces with loads of undead creeps snapping at your heels with jump out scenes, is scary '' the first time of playing ''

But then so is being chased through the woods by a chainsaw weilding potatoe sack wearing Chicken fiddler. First thing i did ? i went into a house thinking the old style '' go through a door and the zombie won't get in '' rule would work.... When that didn't quite go to plan did i laugh ? nope.. i near damn dropped my guts.

each game has it's charms.

Nemesis1985

But then so is being chased through the woods by a chainsaw weilding potatoe sack wearing Chicken fiddler. First thing i did ? i went into a house thinking the old style '' go through a door and the zombie won't get in '' rule would work.... When that didn't quite go to plan did i laugh ? nope.. i near damn dropped my guts.

I experienced the same thing but I do not call it "scaryness". that sounds more like "thrill to survive" . I was not afraid of that "chainsaw weilding potatoe sack" I was just focusing on a way to get rid of him,not because he was creepy,but because that was what I had to do to proceed.

VP-70

I experienced the same thing but I do not call it "scaryness". that sounds more like "thrill to survive" . I was not afraid of that "chainsaw weilding potatoe sack" I was just focusing on a way to get rid of him,not because he was creepy,but because that was what I had to do to proceed.
...Cool :cool:

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
RE4 had it's scary moment's on the first playthrough - Because you don't know what to expect, but after that, it loose's a lot of it's thunder because of the over-the-shoulder camera, and because I'm carrying the US Millitary in my pocket.

These day's, the game will startle me, but it doesn't have the full effect it had at first.

That's how I feel. (though being locked in a cage with a Garrador might be seen as scary to some)

Exagerations. We didn't have as much ammo as some would like to make us think. Enemies dropping it, unneccesary, but not that big of a deal.

Anyway, RE4 was scarier on it's first run, of course, that can be said for any of the other RE games too.

Also, when you compare RE4, which probably played as an adult, teen, versus, playing RE1 as a kid, you just might have a slightly different outlook when comparing them. That's my point.

@Nemesis, I'm trying to prove that you, and others saying similar stuff are generalizing in a negative way, the things in RE4 that were there for horror purposes. I mean I could say the same thing about seeing a Hunter in the mansion for the first time, it wasn't creepy or anything, I just killed it because.

Definately not fair. I like to think I'm looking at this, comparision, objectively, the differences and comparisions between RE4 and everything prior, shall we say RE1, RE2, RE3, as those are the main ones put up on a cloud where nothing will ever be that good.

I certainly don't play RE4 and get panicky at all when I hear that chainsaw, but I remember the first time I played. I remember the OTS camera, allowing for aiming, seeming a bit new at first, and unfamiliar, thus making fighting that first ganado, a challenge, mixed with the music changing in a classic RE style, and other ganados banging on the door trying to get in, the two Policias getting offed, everything going to hell. All of a sudden you are alone in that European village. That was a great experience. Again, that is usually forgotten, along with the darker areas, things like Regenerators, Garradors, Giant Dr Salvadors, other enemies, in favor of only talking about having too much ammo, or whatever.

Professor X

Exagerations. We didn't have as much ammo as some would like to make us think. Enemies dropping it, unneccesary, but not that big of a deal.

Anyway, RE4 was scarier on it's first run, of course, that can be said for any of the other RE games too.

Also, when you compare RE4, which probably played as an adult, teen, versus, playing RE1 as a kid, you just might have a slightly different outlook when comparing them. That's my point.

@Nemesis, I'm trying to prove that you, and others saying similar stuff are generalizing in a negative way, the things in RE4 that were there for horror purposes. I mean I could say the same thing about seeing a Hunter in the mansion for the first time, it wasn't creepy or anything, I just killed it because.

Definately not fair. I like to think I'm looking at this, comparision, objectively, the differences and comparisions between RE4 and everything prior, shall we say RE1, RE2, RE3, as those are the main ones put up on a cloud where nothing will ever be that good.

I certainly don't play RE4 and get panicky at all when I hear that chainsaw, but I remember the first time I played. I remember the OTS camera, allowing for aiming, seeming a bit new at first, and unfamiliar, thus making fighting that first Ganado a challenge, mixed with the music changing in a classic RE style, and other ganados banging on the door trying to get in, the two Policias getting offed, everything going to hell. All of a sudden you are alone in that European village. That was a great experience. Again, that is usually forgotten, along with the darker areas, things like Regenerators, Garradors, Giant Dr Salvadors, other enemies, in favor of only talking about having too much ammo, or whatever.

And you say I exaggerate?

And your point... I understand your point, and agree, but that isn't the case with me, personally.

I think I may have once read an interview stating that Capcom focused BH4 more on Action anyway, rather than Survival Horror. That tell's you more time was spent on the new OTS camera and fighting element's, than actual horror.

Now, Iron Maiden's/Regenerator's are creepy, there's no denying that. Garrador's can be scary adversarie's at time's, too. Verdugo has potential to be scary, but BH4 was alway's more concerned with making Leon from Rookie Cop into Action Man.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
And you say I exaggerate?

And your point... I understand your point, and agree, but that isn't the case with me, personally.

I think I may have once read an interview stating that Capcom focused BH4 more on Action anyway, rather than Survival Horror. That tell's you more time was spent on the new OTS camera and fighting element's, than actual horror.

Now, Iron Maiden's/Regenerator's are creepy, there's no denying that. Garrador's can be scary adversarie's at time's, too. Verdugo has potential to be scary, but BH4 was alway's more concerned with making Leon from Rookie Cop into Action Man.

If you are the one that is exagerating about having too much ammo, something about Leon having the US army in his back pocket, then yes. Comments like that are exagerations.

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, as there is a large, general group that put's RE4 in this negative position.

Action may have been a bigger part of RE4, and it was, but it wasn't the only thing, RE4 balanced that all out really well. It had the solitude, and all the other ingredients, it was just a little bit different.

I mean action has been becoming a larger part of the series for awhile, I just don't want to hear people claim that RE4 is the start of it. You can go back and see the action elements in RE3, or CVX and see how a lot of little things came about in RE4, it wasn't spontaneous, it's been coming for awhile.

Nemesis1985

If you are the one that is exagerating about having too much ammo, something about Leon having the US army in his back pocket, then yes. Comments like that are exagerations.

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, as there is a large, general group that put's RE4 in this negative position.

Action may have been a bigger part of RE4, and it was, but it wasn't the only thing, RE4 balanced that all out really well. It had the solitude, and all the other ingredients, it was just a little bit different.

I mean action has been becoming a larger part of the series for awhile, I just don't want to hear people claim that RE4 is the start of it. You can go back and see the action elements in RE3, or CVX and see how a lot of little things came about in RE4, it wasn't spontaneous, it's been coming for awhile.
Spike991,I think we all Know what you are trying to say and we all,more or less agree with you,but,please lets finish all of these discussions regarding previous RE games ,in particular RE4 and focus more on the new one.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Spike991,I think we all Know what you are trying to say and we all,more or less agree with you,but,please lets finish all of these discussions regarding previous RE games ,in particular RE4 and focus more on the new one.

Considering the thread this is in, perhaps you are right, let us discuss ORC. Though I must confess, when I see RE4 bashing, I can't help but add my .02

Operation Raccoon City does look very enticing though, I'm really anxious to play it.

The coop should be great, seeing Raccoon is what I'm most excited about, this game can't come out soon enough.

VP-70

Considering the thread this is in, perhaps you are right, let us discuss ORC. Though I must confess, when I see RE4 bashing, I can't help but add my .02

I Still play RE4 as i personally don't think RE5 is all that, and i actually detest Sheva more than i do Ashley. Lol, if leons Arsenal is anything to go by, then i pity the America Army lol

This new game however, is looking very promosing!

Professor X

^ Nobody's "bashing" BH4. I like the game, I just don't put it above REmake.

That's the gist of it.

Anyway, yes, moving on - This just keep's getting better and better. The recent trailer was great, with Leon getting assasinated at the end.. Or atleast that's how it seemed, maybe Leon shot Spectre?

Nemesis1985

^ with Leon getting assasinated at the end.. Or atleast that's how it seemed, maybe Leon shot Spectre?
But the sound does not belong to Leon and it is the basturd's sound that says:"Command,we have eliminated the target"
unless Leon changes his voice or ...?!!!

Professor X

But the sound does not belong to Leon and it is the basturd's sound that says:"Command,we have eliminated the target"
unless Leon changes his voice or ...?!!!

Spectre (I think that's the guy) probably said "Command, we have eliminated the target" and then got shot by Leon, who was playing dead... Just a theory. ^^

But seeing as we should be able to kill Leon, everything may have been exactly as it appeared, with Spectre assasinating Leon.

Top Bottom