• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 My biggest gripe with RE5

Mr Sunshine

Sheva was very sexy in RE 5, that I can tell. :wub: :D

However, I don't think that she was overshadowding anyone.. Wesker doesn't give her attention at all when it comes to talking. Since there are two protagonists they have to share the glory as well. Still though Chris takes the largest piece.

The only scene that I didn't find proper was the last one on the helicopter. Chris and Sheva have just climbed up to the helicopter exhausted after all this fight and Jill says "Chris, Sheva, take those rocket launchers."!! Huh? So a veteran like Jill Valentine who has killed so many BOWs and has twice as much years of experience than Sheva tells her to use the Rocket launcher? I thought it was lame.. They should have come up with something better to justify the fact that Jill is not playable

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Magnolia Grandiflora;83474 said:

And I, personally, don't believe that any one character deserves as much focus as she got except for Chris and/or Wesker. Despite Jill having been there since the beginning, the series is one big grudge match between Wesker and Chris and I don't think any one character should overshadow that. That's part of the problem I have with Leon and where they've taken the games. They've made it less about survival horror and bioweapons and more about third person shooter; less about the rivalry between Wesker and Chris and more about new characters that I'm not even fond of and can't bring myself to really care about what happens to them.
Magnolia Grandiflora;83482 said:

My point is that no one should overshadow Chris but Wesker and vise versa. Sheva broke that rule in the span of one game. (At least it took Leon a few tries to get there.) ;)
Aha, now I better understand your dislike for Leon. But for me and others who got introduced to the series by RE4, this is not an issue - Leon is our undisputed hero. :)

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
@FalleN, I think all of the villians, and even other characters, gave Sheva some uneeded attention. Everytime they came across somebody, it was, "You's two are just in time for the fireworks show", "Won't you two just die already", "You two, up here", and everything seemed to be about including Sheva. Then in the much later parts of the game, while Sheva is there, it almost seems, inappopriate, while she could actually get away with being in the game, more towards the beginning, she just seemed like she was lingering.

@Magnolia, yeah, at first I didn't like the idea of there being a romance between the two, but after awhile I aftually sort of, kinda, like the idea.

Another thing you mentioned, with Sheva being shoved down our throats, we weren't ready to see Chris partnering up with anybody but Jill or Claire.

In some of the earlier trailers, there was actually a line where Sheva says, "I may not be as big as you, but I can still hold my own", and Chris replied with, "No worries, my last partner was a woman too". That didn't make it into the final game, probably because it might make Chris seem insensitive...

Mr Sunshine

Spike991;83791 said:
@FalleN, I think all of the villians, and even other characters, gave Sheva some uneeded attention. Everytime they came across somebody, it was, "You's two are just in time for the fireworks show", "Won't you two just die already", "You two, up here", and everything seemed to be about including Sheva. Then in the much later parts of the game, while Sheva is there, it almost seems, inappopriate, while she could actually get away with being in the game, more towards the beginning, she just seemed like she was lingering.

Uneeded attention? Sheva and Chris fought all these BOWs together. Chris would have probably died without Sheva whether we like it or not. Is it uneeded attention to state that someone else is here as well? "Won't you two just die already?" There are two people!! It would be dump to say "Chris, won't you die already?"

That's the least of attention that someone can get.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I'm inclined to agree with Fallen on that one. Excella and Irving have little to no familiarity/history with Chris - apart from what Wesker might have told them. I honestly don't think Chris means any more or less to Excella and Irving than Sheva does - hence why they refer to them both. Wesker, on the hand, almost always talks exclusively to/about Chris - which makes sense because of their extensive history together.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Spike991;83791 said:
In some of the earlier trailers, there was actually a line where Sheva says, "I may not be as big as you, but I can still hold my own", and Chris replied with, "No worries, my last partner was a woman too". That didn't make it into the final game, probably because it might make Chris seem insensitive...
As a female, I don't think that sounds insensitive, I think he's just telling her - in an offhanded way - that he won't treat her differently or look down on her because she's a woman. *shrugs* But I'm sure there are more overly sensitive people out there who would take it a little differently.
Fallen said:
Children shouldn't have fictional characters as idols imo, but that's another topic I guess.
Could I inquire as to why you feel this way? I mean, I don't see a problem with it but, then again, I've already admitted that I looked up to a fictional character when I was younger so it's pretty clear that I could be, and most likely am, biased.

Jill Valentine is a strong woman who has very admirable characteristics so I don't really see the problem...? (Though there are fictional characters that I don't think children should be looking up to, Bella Swan being one of them.) It's not as if the idea is un-heard of, though. When Gone With the Wind was written and the movie had recently come out, many women looked to Scarlett O'Hara as a role model because she was the epitome of a strong, independent woman in a time where that concept was still relatively unheard of. What's wrong with seeing good things in characters, even if they are fictional, and looking up to that? To me, it's practically the same as looking up to or idolizing a celebrity you've never met. :blink:

LordGolbez

Magnolia Grandiflora;83828 said:

Could I inquire as to why you feel this way? I mean, I don't see a problem with it but, then again, I've already admitted that I looked up to a fictional character when I was younger so it's pretty clear that I could be, and most likely am, biased.

Jill Valentine is a strong woman who has very admirable characteristics so I don't really see the problem...? (Though there are fictional characters that I don't think children should be looking up to, Bella Swan being one of them.) It's not as if the idea is un-heard of, though. When Gone With the Wind was written and the movie had recently come out, many women looked to Scarlett O'Hara as a role model because she was the epitome of a strong, independent woman in a time where that concept was still relatively unheard of. What's wrong with seeing good things in characters, even if they are fictional, and looking up to that? To me, it's practically the same as looking up to or idolizing a celebrity you've never met. :blink:

I Would Have To Agree With You This Stance Maggie Because I Never Really Had Anyone To Look Up To When I Was Little So I Guess I Really Only Had Fictional Characters To Look Up To. Call Me Weird If You Wish Be That Is The Way I See Things As Well. I See No Problem With It As Long As It Is A Rolemodel Worthy Figure.

Mr Sunshine

Magnolia Grandiflora;83828 said:

Well, yeah I don't know why I said that. I probably had in mind some really shallow fictional characters. But there good ones as well.

Also, about the celebrities you're mentioning I think that we, as people, should admire them for their job and only. A singer for his voice, an actor for his acting abilities e.t.c The fact that they are successful career men doen't automatically make them good people as well. So as long as I like someone's song, I don't care at all about his personal life.

[spoilers]Yes, I'm off topic, so I stop here[/spoilers]

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
So we shouldn't care if there's a celebrity out there who's using their money to make a difference? Since they're a celebrity we should just ignore their good deeds?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be disagreeable, I'm just not really seeing where you're coming from...

EDIT: Yeah, I'm with Fallen. Sorry about the off-topic-ness. :blush:

weskerfan

I think it was cool that he was all buffed up like that.
because when you are facing groups of hostile villagers,it comes in handy.
... BAM!!
knock them bxtches out!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
FalleN;83797 said:
Uneeded attention? Sheva and Chris fought all these BOWs together. Chris would have probably died without Sheva whether we like it or not. Is it uneeded attention to state that someone else is here as well? "Won't you two just die already?" There are two people!! It would be dump to say "Chris, won't you die already?"

That's the least of attention that someone can get.

I think we can look at RE5 what it is now, and think that Chris might, or did need Sheva, but that is the way the game was made, Sheva was added and given a larger role, a role in which we see her relied on at times. What I mean is the game was kind of tailor-made for her to be there, but I know that someone like Chris could have gotten through, maybe meeting up with her & Delta Team(Josh) at points, working together for a bit, like when you & Luis hold off the Ganados in the cabin, or you & Barry fight the T-002, those characters didn't have to follow you throughout the entire game though, that is what I think about Sheva, she deserved a role like that. Frankly, I think I probably could have disliked Luis, had he gotten an undeserving role such as that, but he didnt'.:) Sorry, trying not to make this too long...:)

Anyway, while I did point out the way Irving & Excella pointed out the "two" of them, that's true that it would make sense for Irving & Excella maybe, at later points in the game, Sheva seemed unecessary. I think you pointed out how Wesker pretty much spoke exclusively to Chris...Sheva was just there, like when you fight him & Jill, obviously we know the history between Chris, Jill & Wesker, but Sheva was the 5th wheel(technically 4th, but the point is she was the odd one in the group).

But, while Irving or Excella giving both characters equal treatment, let's not take that one point and get rid of all the other valid ones I previously made.

@Magnolia, I didn't mean insensitive to female gamers, I mean it would seem insensitive to anyone that was an RE fan, insensitive for Chris to be making an off-remark like that, "No worries, my last partner was a woman too", about Jill, when obviously he was very troubled by her "death", that's why I think they took it out of the final product, it just didn't fit.

T-Vaccinated Kid

Neo-Umbrella Head Zoologist
Spike makes some good points. Aside from Sheva being in too much of the game my biggest gripe is that you can't heal yourself when you are dying. A smaller gripe would be that the game doesn't pause when bringing up the inventory. I guess that's necessary because of the co-op element, but I also think co-op shouldn't be a necessity.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
T-Vaccinated Kid;86903 said:
Spike makes some good points. Aside from Sheva being in too much of the game my biggest gripe is that you can't heal yourself when you are dying. A smaller gripe would be that the game doesn't pause when bringing up the inventory. I guess that's necessary because of the co-op element, but I also think co-op shouldn't be a necessity.

I think it is really annoying when you get hurt and put into the dying state...it really makes it so that you have to rely on Sheva(or whoever your partner might be). It's especially annoying when you are split up and there is no way to get to you...slow and annoyingly painful death.

I love co-op, but I hope that it stays out of the main story, maybe an extra game like a Separate Ways or LIN or Desperate Escape, and of course Mercs, but otherwise, the story should be a single player experience.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Spike991;86892 said:
I think we can look at RE5 what it is now, and think that Chris might, or did need Sheva, but that is the way the game was made, Sheva was added and given a larger role, a role in which we see her relied on at times. What I mean is the game was kind of tailor-made for her to be there, but I know that someone like Chris could have gotten through, maybe meeting up with her & Delta Team(Josh) at points, working together for a bit, like when you & Luis hold off the Ganados in the cabin, or you & Barry fight the T-002, those characters didn't have to follow you throughout the entire game though, that is what I think about Sheva, she deserved a role like that. Frankly, I think I probably could have disliked Luis, had he gotten an undeserving role such as that, but he didnt'.:)
You're making an excellent point here, I like the analogy with Luis in RE4. :)
Luis was a really really good character that made the game much more interesting. I just wish there was one more fight where Leon teamed up with him.

But had he followed Leon around as much as Ashley did, then I'm not so sure I would have appreciated the character as much as i did.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Romero;86979 said:

You're making an excellent point here, I like the analogy with Luis in RE4. :)
Luis was a really really good character that made the game much more interesting. I just wish there was one more fight where Leon teamed up with him.

But had he followed Leon around as much as Ashley did, then I'm not so sure I would have appreciated the character as much as i did.

We did get to see a bit more of him in Separate Ways, but otherwise, he was very much behind the scenes.

The same can be said with Wesker. When he was a character that showed up very few times, we appreciated his character, but once he had a large role in which he was there every minute...Umbrella Chronicles, I immediately started to dislike his character, or at least what his character was becoming, and what he became.

Top Bottom