• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Most overated/underated game?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
My point is is that RE5 being Capcom's Best-Selling Game just seems to have been because they inflated the figures by just adding up the total sales on three different platforms.

Turo602

The King of Kings
My point is is that RE5 being Capcom's Best-Selling Game just seems to have been because they inflated the figures by just adding up the total sales on three different platforms.

You originally implied RE4 may have been the best selling game in the series which wasn't true. Whether or not they got sales from multiple consoles is irrelevant because it's still the same game across those platforms. Street Fighter II on SNES is like the only one of its kind. Other ports and versions are considered separate releases and different games.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Resident Evil 5 sold over 6.5 million copies as of 2013. That surpasses Street Fighter II's 6.3 million which was originally the highest selling Capcom game.

Well to be honest it did ride on off the success of RE4 which was critically acclaimed and beloved.

This is proven by how much hate the fanbase as a whole gave the game AFTER they went out to purchase it.

I look at it in a similar way to Devil May Cry 4 which rode in off the popular DMC3 only to receive a lot of hate from fans.

Now on to the topic at hand,

The most overated is definitely Resident Evil 4 in my book. Like many others have said in this topic its definitely a great game that marked a turn in the series away from the classic gameplay style to a more preferred and easily accessible over the shoulder gameplay style, but despite that it still did not top the original game in depth of story or make me feel the kind of excitement that the previous entries did. Also I'm more of a fan of the survival horror in my Resident Evil titles so while I did enjoy Resident Evil 4 a lot I would not rank it as one of my top Resident Evil games at all.

Now the most underated game to me is Resident Evil Code Veronica, that game was simply phenomenal in my eyes. It gives you all of what made the previous entries great with superb survival horror and also throws in a compelling story with twists such as Wesker's return as a super powered badazz and also a story with some good depth thanks to Steve and the events that unfold around him and Claire, and the difficulty only made the game so much better in my eyes since it really felt like a survival horror since you had to conserve your ammo wisely and think about how and when you use your ammo which is something games like RE4,RE5,and RE6 just completely lacked since ammo in those games are just thrown at you making them FAR less tense.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
You originally implied RE4 may have been the best selling game in the series which wasn't true. Whether or not they got sales from multiple consoles is irrelevant because it's still the same game across those platforms. Street Fighter II on SNES is like the only one of its kind. Other ports and versions are considered separate releases and different games.

I've checked Capcom's official website and they do have individual releases/versions of games separate of each other, but other sources I've seen combine the sales figures of cross-platform releases. So by the criteria set by Capcom themselves, RE5 is their best-selling game.

And apologies for derailing the topic.

Agent Spike

My two cents...

I think RE4 is an amazing game (at one point I thought it was the best game in the world lol) but it's overrated because if you compare it to the remake or even 2, it lacks the survival horror. That's what I love from the old games, the fixed camera angles, the scarce ammo, backtracking, and the puzzles which re4 lacks.

Underrated: I want to say CVX but I know a lot of people who love that game including myself, so Resident Evil Zero. Yup, many bash on it for the silliest reasons.

I guess Code Veronica is underrated cuz I think it's the best game of all time any anyone who dosen't agree is an imbecill ;)

Overrated.. hmm RE2 and RE5. Don't get me wrong here! Both are great games but to be honest I think RE3 is more fun in general than RE2. Everyone are talking about how great RE2 is and all that but to me you're running in the same house 90% of the game. in RE3 you're exploring alot more outside which is fun. Sure a little inside mansion stuff is great and something that needs to be in any good RE game. And you get that in RE3.

RE5 is because.. well it's worse than RE4 and yet alot of people I know played the living crap out of 5 while 4 is something many people only played once and then didn't care much about. That's basically my impression.

Top Bottom