• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Most overated/underated game?

black 93

Ok before i start, i wanna say i dont think their are any terrible RE games. (Maybe the survivor games and gaiden but im talking main series) Say what you will about 5 and 6, but you can definitly get some enjoyment out of them even if you dont rate them highly. That said are there any games in particular that you feel dont get enough love? or one that gets too much?

For me id say the most overated game is revelations 1. Now dont get me wrong its a good game, but when it came out on consoles people were talking like " best RE game ever, scariest since the playstation days"well... to me the game feels more like RE4/5 than it does the originals. So i dont know where all you hipsters who hate anything after RE3 get that argument from. But yea the thing that ruined the game for me a little was the constant switching characters and locations. I wanted to explore the ship as jill, not shoot infected wolves as keith and quint.

The most underated for me are 5, CV and zero. Il always have a soft spot for 5, i dont know what it is iv just had so much fun with it. People bash CV for being too hard, long and iv heard people say it feels more like a hollywood version of RE with the cross dressing villain and boss battles while hanging from a plane. I get what people are saying but i still like CV, the ashfords are easily the most disturbing villains in the series( though i think alex wesker may take that title soon enough) and i like the fact that its a longer than the previous ones. Zero is just flat out underated i dont care what anyone says. Billy coens a cool mysterious character, it has an awesome atmosphere and music and is easily one of the most challenging in the series.

mjk321

the most underrated game in my opinion is God Hand. the last game by Clover Studios (now platinum games), created and directed by Shinji Mikami (yeah, that guy!). the game got SCREWED by a review from IGN who gave it a really low score for being "hard", and now the game is in their top 100 ps2 games list.

P.S. I know this is not an RE game, but it's by shinji mikami so it's RE's cousin in someway. also, the rpg in God Hand is based on the RE4 rocket launcher, and one of the bosses was gonna be put in RE4

black 93

I say all of the games are underrated, really. People always judge them over the stupidest things.
They do indeed. My personal favourite complaint is chris' muscles. People dont think that the reason that the guys ripped is because he's spent nearly 20 years fighting things that would make the average person drop their bowels lol. Plus, if i was going hand to hand with wesker, id want as much muscle as i could get lol

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
RE Dead Aim is underrated I think. The game is actually kinda scary especially when that frozen B.O.W. chases you it's really intense. Best rail-shooter RE imo.

Fenris

Wolf :)
In my opinion RE4 is really overrated. It is a fun game and it has some cool features but it's not the "holy grail" people make it out to be. The game lacks a lot of aspects where the other games are way better. And it didn't really fit into the overall series. And seriously what were they thinking with putting Ashley into the game?

However I think CV is really underrated. A lot of people say they don't like it because it feels "SciFi" for some reason and the whole "mutation" aspect started in that game (with humans transforming into BOW's.) I call BS on that *cough* Wiliam Birkin *cough* and just because it doesn't have a "number" does not mean it is a spin off (I roll my eyes everytime, when somebody says that) and a lot of stuff happens in the game that was important for the series, the overall storyline was one of the "better RE stories" and I think the Ashfords are the best villains next to Wesker. Every character of CV was important and had it's use unlike in other RE games and the game itself was pretty hard to survive, even zombies were a major threat throughout the entire game and a lot of other BOW's were really difficult to deal with.

black 93

In my opinion RE4 is really overrated. It is a fun game and it has some cool features but it's not the "holy grail" people make it out to be. The game lacks a lot of aspects where the other games are way better. And it didn't really fit into the overall series. And seriously what were they thinking with putting Ashley into the game?

However I think CV is really underrated. A lot of people say they don't like it because it feels "SciFi" for some reason and the whole "mutation" aspect started in that game (with humans transforming into BOW's.) I call BS on that *cough* Wiliam Birkin *cough* and just because it doesn't have a "number" does not mean it is a spin off (I roll my eyes everytime, when somebody says that) and a lot of stuff happens in the game that was important for the series, the overall storyline was one of the "better RE stories" and I think the Ashfords are the best villains next to Wesker. Every character of CV was important and had it's use unlike in other RE games and the game itself was pretty hard to survive, even zombies were a major threat throughout the entire game and a lot of other BOW's were really difficult to deal with.
I enjoy RE4, but i can see what you're saying. Everybody including capcom themselves seem to fall back on this game, seriously what were thinking making an iphone game? As for not fitting into the series, iv thought that before since it seems to have a standalone story. Like the cult, and some of the areas like the castle seem like you're playing in 16th century spain not 2004 lol. Still il always have a soft spot for the game. I agree about code verinica too, i love that game. Its the only one with the classic style gameplay that tries to do something outside of raccoon city, and i still think it has one of the most unique stories in the series.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Overrated
Resident Evil 4 - It's not a bad game at all, it's actually very spectacular and amazing in so many ways but... people tend to act as if it were the highest point in the series which it's not. Just because the game was revolutionary, excellent, and fun doesn't mean it's the standard for survival horror. It's actually pretty weak for a survival horror game and I'm sick of seeing it get false praise. The genre was perfected with REmake and done better many many times before RE4.

Underrated
Resident Evil 5 - This game gets so much hate for doing exactly what everybody loved about the previous one yet praise RE4 when they both committed the same crimes. RE5 isn't any less of a scary game than 4 was and the biggest difference between both games is co-op. That's it, one's co-op and one isn't. It's still just as fun, polished, and unscary as the last one.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Overrated: Revelations 1. "Finally a scary RE again, more like the classics, a step in the right direction, Chris and Jill are back together, yada yada yada..." While most of that is true, the game is also quite boring, inferior to some of the older games on a technical level, has several ships to explore that look exactly the same, introduces some of the most annoying new characters and makes Chris and Jill duller than ever, the action sequences in-between are totally unnecessary, and let's be honest, most of us only stuck with it for as long as they did because of Rape Mode. The campaign doesn't really give you any reason to play it again other than trying out that insane hard difficulty.

Underrated: RE6. I could go on and on about how people are giving this game too much crap, often for the wrong reasons, but I've already explained it all elsewhere and everyone who agrees with me will understand what I mean, while everyone who disagrees will continue to do so anyway.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
I am not sure which one is overrated but as you mentioned CV was underestimated.
I never played zero but I think it's great and I am so exited for the HD version.

wolf trail

Overrated
Resident Evil 4 - It's not a bad game at all, it's actually very spectacular and amazing in so many ways but... people tend to act as if it were the highest point in the series which it's not. Just because the game was revolutionary, excellent, and fun doesn't mean it's the standard for survival horror. It's actually pretty weak for a survival horror game and I'm sick of seeing it get false praise. The genre was perfected with REmake and done better many many times before RE4.

Underrated
Resident Evil 5 - This game gets so much hate for doing exactly what everybody loved about the previous one yet praise RE4 when they both committed the same crimes. RE5 isn't any less of a scary game than 4 was and the biggest difference between both games is co-op. That's it, one's co-op and one isn't. It's still just as fun, polished, and unscary as the last one.
Overrated

Underrated
RE4 has nothing to do with survival horror, but I think there is a big difference between 4 and 5 .
1-story: 4 had a simple and clean story, your objective was always determined(find Ahley and get out).
But 5 never had a clean goal
Why was Chris there? Find Jill? Kill Wesker?

2-characters: leon was represented the best way possible in 4 but chris could be better.

3-how many puzzles did we solve in 4?
Did we solve any in 5?

I could keep going... but don't get me wrong I like RE5 but it was never like 4.

Turo602

The King of Kings
RE4 has nothing to do with survival horror, but I think there is a big difference between 4 and 5 .
1-story: 4 had a simple and clean story, your objective was always determined(find Ahley and get out).
But 5 never had a clean goal
Why was Chris there? Find Jill? Kill Wesker?

2-characters: leon was represented the best way possible in 4 but chris could be better.

3-how many puzzles did we solve in 4?
Did we solve any in 5?

I could keep going... but don't get me wrong I like RE5 but it was never like 4.

1. All games have different stories and 4 is by far the most irrelevant. Also, the story is pretty easy to follow in 5.

2. I don't really get what that means. They're both different characters and Chris was a lot more fleshed out in 5 than he ever was in the past. Leon on the other hand became a stereotypical badass full of one-liners.

3. Both games had lackluster puzzles that mostly consisted of collecting things and placing them somewhere.

Anyway, none of those things have much to do with the criticism one game gets and the praise of another for doing pretty much the same thing. Both games have their differences but they're still vastly similar where it matters most and that's its gameplay and design. I like both games a lot (though I like 4 better) but the biggest problem I see is how people judge each game so differently for the wrong reasons. Neither game is survival horror yet people love 4 and judge 5 harshly based on survival horror standards when 4 itself wasn't even a survival horror game. That would be like loving Halo and hating Halo 2 for not being a good RPG when the last one wasn't even an RPG.

wolf trail

1. All games have different stories and 4 is by far the most irrelevant. Also, the story is pretty easy to follow in 5.

2. I don't really get what that means. They're both different characters and Chris was a lot more fleshed out in 5 than he ever was in the past. Leon on the other hand became a stereotypical badass full of one-liners.

3. Both games had lackluster puzzles that mostly consisted of collecting things and placing them somewhere.

Anyway, none of those things have much to do with the criticism one game gets and the praise of another for doing pretty much the same thing. Both games have their differences but they're still vastly similar where it matters most and that's its gameplay and design. I like both games a lot (though I like 4 better) but the biggest problem I see is how people judge each game so differently for the wrong reasons. Neither game is survival horror yet people love 4 and judge 5 harshly based on survival horror standards when 4 itself wasn't even a survival horror game. That would be like loving Halo and hating Halo 2 for not being a good RPG when the last one wasn't even an RPG.

1-RE4 has the most irrelevant story? sure it was far from former resident evils but as a game it had no story problem.

2-RE5 Changed the characteristics of Chris for a real badass,just compare Chris from REmake with the muscular hero in 5(sure Leon was changed but not as much as Chris).

3-puzzles in 4 were far more interesting than the ones in 5(assuming there is any),puzzles in the church, Ashley's puzzle etc...

sure what I just mentioned is not enough to criticize a game,but they are a few examples.
i am not judging 5 based on survival horror elements, as we both said before neither 4 or 5 are meant to be horror games.
I am judging them as action packed third person shooters.

I totally respect your idea and I agree with almost all of what you said, but imo RE4 was not overrated and it deserved the love.
but I agree that Resident Evil 5 should not be underestimated.
5 had it's own pros over 4 like graphics, sound etc... and the mercenaries mod in 5 is much better than 4.
have a good day my friend. :)

black 93

Seeing a lot of RE4's lol. I think the main problem with 4 is that people overestimate it, everyone says its the definitive game in the series.Its an awesome game and i really enjoy it, and feel free to correct me if im wrong, but i dont even think its in the top 3 in terms of sales? Which i find amazing since its the one thats been ported to the most systems ( ya just know its gunna be available on ps4 and xone one day as a "HD classic"). Whereas RE5, which almost everybody claims is inferior to 4, ( i personally dont think so) is the best selling in the series. Same with RE6, its almost like the more hated the game is, the better it does saleswise lol

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Seeing a lot of RE4's lol. I think the main problem with 4 is that people overestimate it, everyone says its the definitive game in the series.Its an awesome game and i really enjoy it, and feel free to correct me if im wrong, but i dont even think its in the top 3 in terms of sales? Which i find amazing since its the one thats been ported to the most systems ( ya just know its gunna be available on ps4 and xone one day as a "HD classic"). Whereas RE5, which almost everybody claims is inferior to 4, ( i personally dont think so) is the best selling in the series. Same with RE6, its almost like the more hated the game is, the better it does saleswise lol

Many times (not always, but many times) the sequels to a critically acclaimed and best selling game sell more copies just because the name's become more recognizable. Kind of like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty, if you notice games sales slowly climb until a certain point, usually when people lose interest.

And regarding RE5 and RE6 specifically, for whatever reason, I can only find their game sales with 360, PS3 and PC combined to make 6,000,000+ copies, while I have to track down RE4's sales for individual consoles. But RE4's sales for GC, PS2, and Wii add up to make 5,900,000 copies, so I'm still not sure that RE5 is the best selling game in the series when I can't find all the data.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Resident Evil 5 sold over 6.5 million copies as of 2013. That surpasses Street Fighter II's 6.3 million which was originally the highest selling Capcom game.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Resident Evil 5 sold over 6.5 million copies as of 2013. That surpasses Street Fighter II's 6.3 million which was originally the highest selling Capcom game.

Resident Evil 5 - 6.7 Million on 360, PS3 and PC.
Street Fighter II - 6.3 Million on SNES alone.

Top Bottom