• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Mercs favorites/least favorites?

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
So, I've been trying to go through and get 'S' ranks with every character on every map, which is proving harder than I'd like with some characters. Anyway, it got me wondering; Who is everybody's favorite and least favorite to use and why? Naturally, I'll start!

Favorite: A tie between default Jake and default Helena. Their respective load outs cater quite nicely to my play style! They both revolve around being quick, which is a huge plus for me! Plus, their unique weapons (the unarmed style and hydra) are really great for quickly getting out of a tight spot.

Least favorite: Piers. I've really tried to like using him, but I just don't like any of the weapons they give him. The Anti-material rifle is strong and all, but firing it is far too slow for me to be effective. And his second costume has the ammo box, which is my least favorite gun in any RE title.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
My favorite would have to be Carla. Her just having a pistol is probably why I like her the most and a good amount of health tablets. I never do worry about running out of ammo for her pistol (And it also makes meleeing a bit easier for me) and amount of tablets helps as well.

My least favorite is the alternate Jake. What I really hate is his loadout. I like his sniper, but I don't like that it is his main weapon and I perfer the bolt action a little more than the semi-auto. I need something more than just a sniper rifle to do for me especially when you have to be quick some thing like mercenaries, and while he does have a grenade launcher you never get any ammo for it.

MissDomino

Premium
I've changed my main character for mercs a few times now.
Last couple months I've started using Piers costume 2. Costume 1 is good too, but the anti materiel rifle is a bit slow, so I use the other one a bit more often. Before that I was using Chris mainly. I also like Carla quite a bit.

Been using Piers because I seem to be able to counter kill the enemies a whole lot better with him, in comparison to Chris, Leon or some of the others. The weapons are good enough and he's got some herbs on him at the start.

I suppose one character I don't like using that much would be Chris costume 2. I always seem to shoot the rocket launcher accidently and end up in all sorts of trouble. I could never get the hang of Jake's melee attacks in mercs, but he's a whole lot of fun to use. I don't really like Jake costume 2's loadout though.

That said, I like to cycle through the characters when I play. Especially when playing co-op.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I've unlocked, but not played with everyone yet, so I will concentrate on the characters / costumes I know.

In the beginning I played through all ten stages with Chris in his default outfit because his assault rifle / magnum combination works best for me. If it wasn't for his annoying lack of health items, he would be the game's best Mercenaries character (for me, anyway). Rochelle from the L4D pack looks similar, but I haven't used her yet, and I also remember liking Sherry's alternative costume. Nick is great too, he has a machine gun for everyone and a grenade launcher for the big bosses, and carries around more health items than you'll ever need.

Piers, as much as I love him, is useless in Mercenaries, for the same reasons Daburcor already stated. His machine pistol is too weak to kill anything as fast as I need it, and the rifle, while almost ridiculously powerful, takes a few valuable seconds to lift and aim, and then another few seconds to reload after each shot. I've never been good at using rifles, but seriously, how are you supposed to use such a slow weapon in Mercenaries (No Mercy, even) when you're constantly surrounded by enemies? It was a pain in the ass for me to unlock his alternative costume (which I've only used once so far, I don't even remember the loadout).

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
My favourite char is Piers (Default) now, arguably having the worst loudout, I like a challenge in this aspect, mainly I like him cuz of his melee move set. If I had to pick one just judging by the loudout, I'd go with Rochelle. Gotta love smgs and magnums. As for the worst, there isn't any really since any character can do counters and that is what you want to go for most of the time anyway.

A tip for everyone who would like to use Piers: you can avoid the manual bullet eject animation with the Anti Materiel Rifle by swapping to another weapon right after firing and if you swap back you can shoot again immediately, this way it fires even faster than the semi-auto sniper rifle.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Update: I'm now officially in love with Rochelle. She's my new favourite Mercenaries character. :cool:

In preparation for one of the upcoming online events, I played the Edonia stage with Default Sherry and Carla, getting a D rank once and completely failing twice. (Poor Carla got stomped to death by El Gigante Edónico.) Annoyed, I switched to No Mercy, picked Rochelle, et voilà - S rank!! Apart from that she makes the strangest sounds while fighting, she has everything a woman needs: A machine pistol with a huge ammo clip for normal enemies, a powerful magnum for the bigger ones, all kinds of grenades, and herbs. Kind of like a better version of Default Chris. Combine that with the "Enemies drop more stuff" skill and she will never run out of anything. Mercenaries online event, I'm coming! :D

(Although it surprises me that I'm apparently better at No Mercy than at the normal Mercenaries game; this isn't a first. :confused: )

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't really use many characters in mercs - I mainly use default Jake and Jake's alternate - who Story and I like to refer to as J Money, lol - so I don't exactly have a least favorite. After playing through each campaign, I find that I'm at my best with Jake so that's why I use him in mercs; I love his melees and his default load out is pretty awesome. I also love using J Money because a sniper rifle quick-fire combined with a follow-up melee is a serious win for me. Helps me keep combos going. ;)

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
(Although it surprises me that I'm apparently better at No Mercy than at the normal Mercenaries game; this isn't a first. :confused: )
The ranking scores are the same in No Mercy as they are in normal Mercs so yeah getting S's is a lot easier. :p

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It's not only that; I also don't die as often, even though I'm surrounded by more enemies... it's strange. :confused: But No Mercy has its perks, for sure. You never run out of things to kill, which makes it easier to keep the combo going, and it seems to me that enemies are easier to kill.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Okay so this thread prompted me to broaden my mercs character horizons and I find that I also enjoy playing as Chris, his melees are pretty boss and his load out is pretty compatible with the way I play, but I can't stand Ada or Sherry. Their stamina is for **** and their melees are so weak. It takes me three or four tries to get done what I can do once with Jake.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
I've found I play best with Pirate Leon, Helena and J-money in that order. All three have good stamina and their melees are the bees knees man!

Spyder

La Vita Nuova
My least favourite is probably Ada. I find her coup de grace hard to line up properly and sometimes will flip 5 times before I actually hit =p. I can't get good crowd control with her either.

My fave is definitely Jake's alternate. I use the knife to rack up major combos and ammo close up and at the start, (easiest weapon for basic enemies IMO), then snipe the tougher ones. Grenade launcher takes care of the bullies and the crowds pretty painlessly. I usually do well with sherry in either of her loadouts too but Jake's my main ass kicker =p.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
It's not only that; I also don't die as often, even though I'm surrounded by more enemies... it's strange. :confused: But No Mercy has its perks, for sure. You never run out of things to kill, which makes it easier to keep the combo going, and it seems to me that enemies are easier to kill.
Yeah, it is easier to keep the combo and the boss type enemies are a lot weaker but once you reach 200+ combo it is almost impossible to break free from a grab of a zombie and they can grab you non-stop without you even getting up after the last grab. So as easy as it is to kill and keep up the combo, surviving till 300 combo is a lot harder.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
One plus I can think of for Piers is that his stamina is pretty great! Countering with him is also nice. I suppose I'd probably use him a lot more if he had a load out with a 909 or picador.

And Jake 2/J-Money, whom I affectionately refer to is M.C. Grand Master Flashkick (because he totally does Guile's flash kick), is the s*it! The first time I took him into Mercs I had on the 'Pharmacist' skill, got creamed and hated it. The very next try, I used 'Martial Arts Master' and totally cleaned house. He's f*ckin' awesome!

[EDIT] And I totally agree with Spyder on Ada's coup de grace. It's a pain in the sack!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I never noticed that the characters were supposed to have different stanima, or other ability settings... I thought they're all the same. :confused:

but once you reach 200+ combo [...]

That never happens to me anyway, so I don't need to worry about it. ;)

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
I never noticed that the characters were supposed to have different stanima, or other ability settings... I thought they're all the same. :confused:
Same... they are all alike. Never heard anyone saying they are different either, nor can I tell anything other than them being the same from my personal experience. Do different characters have different recharge speeds cuz that is about the only thing I could come up with?
That never happens to me anyway, so I don't need to worry about it. ;)
Not just at 200 combo but 200 kills in general.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't know about recharge speeds, but as for speed in general, it sometimes seems to me that some characters run faster than others. It could be just my imagination, though. I also still think Chris runs faster than Jill in RE1, but I can't prove it.

It's a shame, actually. When I think of all the ways the various characters could have differed from each other and therefore provided a unique game experience... It also bothers me in RE5 where the two main characters are obviously very different from each other on a physical basis, yet still have the same amount of strength, stamina etc. Perhaps the developers didn't want one player to feel at a disadvantage in co-op, who knows. But oh well, this is not the right thread for my rants.

Not just at 200 combo but 200 kills in general.

... That doesn't happen to me either. :D

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
My favorite is a toss up between Sherry's Alt. costume, or Leon's default. For Sherry, I love the Bear Commander(I think that's its name), its probably my favorite weapon in the game. The shotgun she has is pretty beast too, fires pretty fast. Starting with 2 Red Herbs doesn't hurt either ;) I like Leon for all of the bombs he starts with. One of those and a few shotgun blasts and they're pretty much gone.

My least favorite is Piers. Well really, anyone with a sniping weapon, I just find it to be a pain in the ass to use when you're in what's supposed to be a fast paced environment. Runner up would be Ada, sadly. Her automatic pistol is weak and she has a lack of a boss killing weapon.

HappyLeech

Queen of the tl;dr
I think my favourite characters to play as would be Sherry, Helena, and Leon (In his default outfit). I just think Sherry and Helena have good weapons for both their default and costumes, and plain ol' leon is pretty good too. (and heck, I love those stupid pixilated looking costumes XD)
My least favourite, I think, would be Ada and Piers. I don't find that their melee attacks are that strong, and I often accidentally kill Ada when trying to break time capsules XC (At least on the catacomb stage, which is the one I use to try and get A ranks. I just need Ada n Piers, and then I can get Carla!) I'm also not a huge fan of using the sniper rifles in mercs. Too many enemies imo. So I never really use any costumes that have a rifle as a weapon b/c I just don't like them...unless I would play with someone else who could watch me while I sniped.
(My favourite stages would have to be Catacombs and the Creature Workshop [this is the only stage where I will deliberately play as someone with a rifle haha] and the Rooftop stages, and my least favorites are Steel Beast and Requiem for War. I can never rank on RfW, and Steel Beast just irritates me, and it took forever for me to unlock Piers :C )

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Well I just broadened my horizons a bit more and tried Piers out. His default is actually not as bad as everyone is making him out to be, in my opinion. It takes some getting used to, sure, but he does have a higher endurance level than some of the others - like Sherry, Ada and Leon - and most of my attacks pull from your stamina bar so that's a plus for me.

One character I haven't seen referenced to is the Agent character. Has anyone played as him yet? Any opinions? And does anyone have Carla yet, for that matter? Any opinions on her? Does she play the same as Ada or did they make the distinction between the two individuals?

Top Bottom